• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: Pokkén Edition - On a hiatus, will restart soon!

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Considering most of Gengar's moveset basically emphasizes the Ghost-typing part of it and basically disregards the Poison-type part of it, I think it's easy to overlook the fact Gengar is a Poison-type when discussing Pokken, and the same applies with Lucario and Gardevoir. Lucario's moveset focuses on the Fighting-type part of it with no use of Steel-type moves (I remember one post I made in another thread where I accidentally forgot about Lucario being part Steel because of that), while Gardevoir's moveset largely focuses on the Psychic-type aspect to her with her only real Fairy-type attack being her Burst Attack. If a moveset emphasizes one-type of a Pokemon over another, I sometimes find myself forgetting that we already have a Pokemon of the "less-focused" type in the game when discussing a Pokemon's potential in Pokken.

With Drapion's case, sure we already have Gengar as a Poison-type in Pokken (and I will admit that when I posted my rating, I forgot about Gengar at that moment), but I think we can all agree that Pokemon like Drapion, Toxicroak, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen would do a way better job representing said type compared to Gengar, to the point they would fit for a true Poison-type rep for Pokken.
That statement was mainly directed at the 'we have NO poison types!'...but yes I do get what you're saying...(Machamp has Bullet Punch does this count as Steel representation? :p)...anyways it seems agreeable that when it comes to representing the type beyond Gengar, Drapion is one of the frontrunners...

However I don't particularly think poison is that popular of a type and I'm not too optimistic about it getting a primary poison user in this game, especially given what may be a fairly limited roster...I at least don't think Drapion will be the next reveal even though he would make a decent choice...

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm gonna nominate Giratina x10

Gyarados:
Chance: Pretty fair, I'd say. Even though it's yet another gen 1 Pokemon, it's easily one of the most well-know Pokemon in existence, thanks in part to Magikarp. Most Water-types are creatures without developed limbs, and a long, snake-like creature has potential for a totally unique moveset. With that gorgeous Mega, I'd say it has a solid 25% chance.

How much do I want it? I'd go all-in at 75%. I think it would be kinda rude to snub Swampert at this point, but since there are far more Water-types than any other, I think there's room for 3 Waters or more, so long as every type shows up at least once. Moveset-wise, Gyarados has an array of biting moves, beams, a Flamethrower, a Twister, an Earthquake, jumping attacks, tail attacks, body slams and headbutts. Gyarados' tail isn't prehensile, but they could probably have him grab with his huge mouth.

Swampert:
Here we go, what everyone sees as the inevitable choice. 90% chance.

Want? 80%. Mega Swampert, I feel, is cooler than Mega Sceptile. It'll be neat seeing it attack with mud, perhaps even flooding small areas of the map, ripping the terrain asunder. A nice Rock Slide would also be very fitting, given its Pokedex entries. Seems like Swampert would be a very poor jumper.

Hydreigon:
So this thing is our most recent Dragon nomination. It's got some popularity. Not totally unknown. I'd give it a 10% chance.

Do I want it? Not really. It doesn't behave like a true hydra, but more like a magically levitating snake with two arms. The difference between this and, say, Gyarados, is that Gyarados has a much more noble or regal appearance. Hydreigon, to me, is ugly. It's blank, soulless eyes don't help. 0% want. There are a lot of Dragons I'd rather have.

Jynx:
Ah, our controversial ganguro (that predates the ganguro trend), Santa's helper, a Sambo blackface PR nightmare. There's a reason this thing has been neglected for so long, guys. Decisive 0% chance.

0% want. There are a lot of Ice or Psychic-types I'd rather have. A problem arises when you realize "what's under Jynx's dress?" has never had a canon answer. How is this thing gonna jump and get tossed around when no one knows what's under there? Plus, I mean, a Pokemon with boobs is kinda unsettling.

Gliscor:
Ah, the flying scorpion. What a weird Pokemon! It acts more like a Poison-type than a Ground-type. Does it have any chance? I'd give it a 10% chance if Swampert gets snubbed, but a 0% chance if Swampert shows up.

Do I want it? Not as much as Scolipede or Drapion, but Gliscor does have some cool points. Lots of Flying, Poisonous, and Earthen abilities abound. Really, though, those stubby legs and its proclivity to constantly stay airborne make it kind of awkward to design. Instead of real throws, it would just latch onto the opponent and claw and prod it to do damage for a short time. Yeah... I'll give it a 45% want rating.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I'm gonna nominate Giratina x10

Gyarados:
Chance: Pretty fair, I'd say. Even though it's yet another gen 1 Pokemon, it's easily one of the most well-know Pokemon in existence, thanks in part to Magikarp. Most Water-types are creatures without developed limbs, and a long, snake-like creature has potential for a totally unique moveset. With that gorgeous Mega, I'd say it has a solid 25% chance.

How much do I want it? I'd go all-in at 75%. I think it would be kinda rude to snub Swampert at this point, but since there are far more Water-types than any other, I think there's room for 3 Waters or more, so long as every type shows up at least once. Moveset-wise, Gyarados has an array of biting moves, beams, a Flamethrower, a Twister, an Earthquake, jumping attacks, tail attacks, body slams and headbutts. Gyarados' tail isn't prehensile, but they could probably have him grab with his huge mouth.

Swampert:
Here we go, what everyone sees as the inevitable choice. 90% chance.

Want? 80%. Mega Swampert, I feel, is cooler than Mega Sceptile. It'll be neat seeing it attack with mud, perhaps even flooding small areas of the map, ripping the terrain asunder. A nice Rock Slide would also be very fitting, given its Pokedex entries. Seems like Swampert would be a very poor jumper.

other thing:
gonna edit this in
... We're rating Jynx and Gliscor today though.

:094:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
still halfass....lol

Jynx

Chance: 1%
Want: 5%
One of the more controversial pokemon, even had to get a slight design change due to this particular controversy...
As a Psychic and Ice type, her niche is pretty well covered with the likes of Gardevoir, Shadow Mewtwo, Weavile, and Suicune...so the need for this pokemon in particular is rather slim...on top of that...She's...not that popular...Sure she's one of the pokemon that has a requested evolved form (mainly because people group her much more popular counterparts Electabuzz and Magmar) but at the end of the day...there's a buttload of better choices out there...

----

Gliscor

Chance: 20%
Want: 75%
Now we're talking! This pokemon is often seen as a parallel to Weavile, so seeing this guy make an appearance along side it's Gen IV evolved from Gen II counterpart would be neat. Especially considering Gliscor is a rather popular pokemon and even very competitively viable, thanks to his Poison Heal ability and higher defenses...Pokken has yet to feature a pokemon with mastery over the Ground typing, but in addition to this, he's also an air fighter (unlike :4littlemac:)...Also has the ability to learn the elemental fangs as well as various slashing moves which gives it a lot to work with...sure he may not have a mega...but neither does Weavile...I wouldn't mind seeing Gliscor myself

----

Noms:
T-tar x3
Sableye x2

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Jynx

Chances: 5%
Want: 0%

Not a fan of Jynx making it in even though she would be a great WTF character. There's a ton of Ice/Psychic types I'd choose over her

Gliscor:

Chances; 40%
Want; 85%

Hell yeah! Always been a fan of Gliscor, and he would make a great addiction. Like Only Human mentioned above, a great air fighter and has potential with a widespread of moves

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Jynx
Chance: 3%
This pokemon is most wellknown for one thing: Controversy. It being based on Ganguro made people think it was an offensive stereotypical black woman
Want: 5% Although I think it's overexaggerated, I'm still not a fan

Gliscor: Chance: 24% VERY popular mon, known for it's memorable design and being incredibly tough to take out at times

Want: 100% I loved ****ing around when I had one of these with Poison Heal

No noms today
3 characters were revealed btw

Last edited:
Jynx
This pokemon is most wellknown for one thing: Controversy. It being based on Ganguro made people think it was an offensive stereotypical black woman

Gliscor: Chance: 24% VERY popular mon, known for it's memorable design and being incredibly tough to take out at times

No noms today
YES! GARCHOMP!

Was expecting Mewtwo.

Braixen over Delphox? Also, third fire starter already?

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Well, I wasn't expecting that. Three characters revealed out of nowhere and none of them had the Japanese character hinted at in their names. I suppose the fighter supposed to be hinted at isn't any of these.

Garchomp is yet another Pokémon deemed more likely than not who made it just like Sceptile before, and hopefully we'll finally discover its "sonic speed" from its Pokédex description in an actual Pokémon game. Funny how I considered nominating regular Mewtwo then it gets revealed. Braixen on the other hand is a complete oddball. Guess we shouldn't underestimate NFE Pokémon after all.

Since it looks like none of these is supposed to be the next revealed Pokémon, I think I'll still be running this game today and tomorrow. Though I'm not rating right now.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, I wasn't expecting that. Three characters revealed out of nowhere and none of them had the Japanese character hinted at in their names. I suppose the fighter supposed to be hinted at isn't any of these.

Garchomp is yet another Pokémon deemed more likely than not who made it just like Sceptile before, and hopefully we'll finally discover its "sonic speed" from its Pokédex description in an actual Pokémon game. Funny how I considered nominating regular Mewtwo then it gets revealed. Braixen on the other hand is a complete oddball. Guess we shouldn't underestimate NFE Pokémon after all.

Since it looks like none of these is supposed to be the next revealed Pokémon, I think I'll still be running this game today and tomorrow. Though I'm not rating right now.
It's a Power Type, so speed might not be it's forte.
Yeah, it's DEFINITELY not the announcement tommorow

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Jynx chances: 0.8%
This infamous Pokémon has some major problems. Not only Jynx is not really popular, but worse than most not so popular Pokémon, Jynx is actually unpopular. Not to mention she was part of a controversy about being supposedly racist, which caused her skin to be changed to purple, so The Pokémon Company may not want to put her in the spotlight even after the design change. As a fighter she might stand out with kiss attacks, as well as a unique combination of ice and psychic powers alongside slaps for melee attacks, but I doubt how interesting her moveset potential may be to the developers's eyes will overcome her unpopularity, which I actually think makes her unlikely even as a support Pokémon (she's background character material at best imo).

For what it's worth many staff members of the Pokkén Tournament site were salty or perplex about the Pokémon who's going to be revealed Friday, and no doubt Jynx would make people salty :laugh: without that information my score would likely have been even lower, and even then I'm expecting the next reveal to just be an unexpected and not-super-popular but not unpopular either Pokémon.

Jynx want: 22%
I strangely never actually associated Jynx with some racial controversy until I saw it mentioned on the internet somewhere, and I always found her to be somewhat of an hilarious Pokémon in a silly way, to be fair I don't really mind her (not that I love her either). She could potentially be the game's fighting clown with kiss attacks, and I could see her working in this game, but in the end there are many more Pokémon I'd rather see.

-----

Gliscor chances: 30%
Maybe not the most obvious choice, but I must admit it's a very unique Pokémon when it comes to its potential as a fighter due to its design, typing, and abilities. Potential is awesome includes sand attacks (even though these seems to be covered by the newly confirmed Garchomp), bites, pincers, tails attacks, and even aerial acrobatics. Also contrary to Jynx, popularity is in Gliscor's side.

Gliscor want: 71%
I haven't put much thought on playable Gliscor before, but after actually thinking about it I'm sure it would make a great fighter. Its level-up moveset alone promises an exciting moveset, and it would definitely stand out among all the other Pokémon in the game.

-----

Nominating: well, since we got regular Mewtwo alongside Shadow Mewtwo...
New Charizard form x8; also, Groudon x2

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I too was surprised to see Braixen making it before Delphox, though after some thought, I think the Pokemon Anime may be a major reason for why it made it in before its evolution (because Serena owns a Braixen and its remained that way for quite some time now).

Anyways, onto the ratings (this rating should've been posted a few hours ago, but then the nightly backup came on right when I posted it, so I had to start from scratch... not. Thanks goodness for autosave!).

Jynx

Meet one of the most controversial Pokemon in existence, essentially due to its initial design. Jynx is one of the more wild card candidates for Pokken, a kind of character that could catch many off guard. Unfortunately, Jynx's niche in both its Ice moveset potential and special-attacking Psychic moveset is largely taken by Weavile and Gardevoir, and even when compared to other Ice and Psychic types that have similar moveset potential and are yet to join the roster, Jynx is an obscure Pokemon that has a hard time competing with its rivals in that regard (even for a kissing type of moveset, many Pokemon could do something similar and happen to far more recognized and popular than it).

Never been a fan of Jynx.

Gliscor

Glider's much needed blessing back in generation 4, Gliscor is the other scorpion from its said generation alongside Drapion. Unlike Drapion, Gliscor has a flying scorpion motif and is a Ground/Flying-type, unlike Drapion's Poison/Dark-type. Gliscor's moveset potential would range from dual-slashing attacks, various tail attacks (both tail slapping and stinging), a wide range of aerial attacks, and the ability to manipulate sand. Being a popular Pokemon also helps too.

But when compared to other Pokemon, Gliscor has quite the competition from multiple spectrums. When it comes to a dual-slashing moveset, Scizor and Gallade are huge competitors against Gliscor, and compared to it, both Scizor and Gallade are far more popular and have Mega Evolutions to boot. In terms of sand manipulation, Tyranitar is a more likely pick, yet again due to T-tar having more popularity and a Mega Evolution; perhaps even Garchomp could also give it trouble now that it's been confirmed for Pokken (it's only been revealed today, so we can't ascertain what it's moveset is at the moment, but it could also utilize sand manipulation just like Tyranitar and Garchomp). Perhaps for a more gliding-strike moveset Gliscor could have an edge with that kind of niche, but I'm still not too confident with its chances.

Want: 70%

It would certainly make an interesting fighter considering what it's capable of, and it was also a memorable Pokemon for me as well. However, when compared to other Pokemon that could do something similar in regards to certain aspects of its moveset potential, I have other Pokemon I am more interested in seeing.

Nominations:

Toxicroak: x5

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Garchomp was pretty much expected at this point....with Dragonite 'out of the way' it definitely put Garchomp in the lead for Pokken's first dragon type, so that reveal was not unwarranted....Garchomp's also the first psuedo-legend that got confirmed as well...

Regular Mewtwo is cool, but now we got two pokemon that are technically playable twice...not that I'm really complaining, though I kind of am, especially since we could've had other unique pokemon instead of the lesser famous versions of Mewtwo and Pikachu...at the very least Mewtwo is going to have it's Y Mega form to at least differentiate it from Shadow Mewtwo...

and...Braixen?...er...ok, sure but why not Delphox? I dunno but I guess it works out the same way as a fire mage of sorts... At the very least we have a pokemon from one of the more recent generations in the game now...Braixen does help diversify the roster at least, having more than just Pikachu and a bunch of powerful AF pokemon to play as...

perhaps this reveal means we'll be getting more fighters than initially thought? It's a bit frustrating trying to figure out who's gonna make the roster when we have no idea how big the roster will be, but it's a good sign that it's at least still growing (at a rather fast pace too) I wouldn't be surprised if we see over 30 pokemon at this point...

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Jynx

No noms today
Jynx was created before the Ganguro trend existed in Japan. Check out the (I believe) Bulbapedia article on the origin of Jynx.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Jynx
Very unpopular and its notability is infamous due to the controversy, the only thing I'd give it is that its inclusion would make people surprised/salty/frustrated.

I have no personal interest in her.

Gliscor
He was one of Ash's Pokémon and from I understand, one of the more popular ones, so that's definitely in its favor. It also could focus on its gliding techniques for something very unique to stand out with.

I personally feel it would be cool, and I do like the ideas shared for its potential moveset.

Nominations:
New Charizard form x5 (I'm expecting it at this point)

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Oh hey, this is back open. Cool

Jynx
Used to be controversial, and now it's just pretty much hated.
Arceus no

Gliscor
Chance: 30%
Fairly popular and could have an interesting flight based moveset
Want: 60%
Sure, why not

Nominations:
Rerate Hitmontop x4
Maractus x1

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Results

Jynx chances: 1.78%
Jynx want: 4.20%

Gliscor chances: 23.90%
Gliscor want: 77.60%

Remember when I said that Jynx and Gliscor were very different Pokémon? Well, those results further support that. In fact, they're polar opposite when it comes to the want score - Jynx is dead last (and got the second lowest chances score even behind Magikarp) while Gliscor despite average results in chances actually got one of the highest want scores, doing enough to be considered the next best thing after fellow pincers-user Scizor!

Today is no joke as it's the last day before the next reveal (which normally should be something else besides one of the three Pokémon we already got today if the hint is to be believed) and we'll rate three Pokémon who look like powerful monsters, Gyarados, Hydreigon and Swampert, the later who already had been rated but is being asked for a rerate. Please rate the Atrocious and Brutal Pokémon (I told you today is serious business) and rerate the Mud Fish Pokémon in chances and want.

Also I'm asking for something else as well: do you want me to run this thread every day until its release on Wii U in Japan or do you want it to only run during some specific periods? By "specific periods" I mean either after the announcement of an upcoming character reveal or during the last days before the game's release in Japan. Keep in mind that this thread losing activity like it did in the past as long as time goes on is not desirable, so I advice you to vote for this game to run every day before the game's release only if you're imagining yourselves leeping a consistent activity here.

After the surprise reveals today I may lift the "only Pokémon hinted at" rule in the future if we get another similar announcement during February.

Aninymouse Aninymouse unless you object to it I'm going to count the scores you already gave to the Pokémon we were supposed to rate this day... oh, and you also win the extra nominations from Jynx (yeah looks like nobody predicted how badly she'd do).
And Aetheri Aetheri you win the extra nominations from Drapion.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Gyarados
Chance: 0% He doesn't seem like fighting material to me, At all
Want: 30% I'm not too keen on him
Hydreigon:
Chance: 19% Very popular mon that is pretty unique, not to mention easy to work with
Want: 100% I ****ing love this Ghidorah thing
Swampert:
Chance: 5% Swampert is popular...HOWEVER! @GoldenYuiitusin pointed out something veeeeery interesting, so it might be Jynx or the ice cream cone judging by the polled results
Want: 50% Eh, never really cared for it

Gyarados
Chance: 5% (Too big, not really fighter material)
Want: 100%

Hydreigon
Chance: 10%
Want: 60%

Swampert
Chance: 35%
Want: 5% (If we get a Water starter, I want it to be from some other generation than Gen 3. We got two starters from that gen already)

I can imagine myself voting here every day, but it might be better to do this during specific periods. I'm unsure will there be enough activity, if there is not a character reveal near.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I vote that we only do this when we know we have characters coming and whatnot. I dunno what day the Japanese Wii U release is off the top of my head, but unless it's in early February, I don't want to bother voting every day.

I already nominated Giratina x10 last time. All the Pokemon I really, really want (I think) have already been rated. So since Giratina is probably my next favorite that hasn't been touched, I'll just request Giratina x10 again, lol. Please understand.

Yes, please, count my early voting. Thank you!

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Gyarados

Easily one of the most famous and most popular Pokemon out there, famous for the fact it evolves from what many consider to be the weakest Pokemon in existence. As one of the iconic Pokemon around, Gyarados also gained a Mega Evolution in the 6th generation games. It could fill the niche of a serpent-type of fighter that would consist of coiling its foes, though I think much of its moveset would also revolve around the use of powerful water attacks and Hyper Beams.

But here's the issue. Gyarados is a Pokemon that is designed to move around in the water. Fish Pokemon and water serpent Pokemon would make for rather hard inclusions for Pokken because they don't have the suitable body type that could really work for the fighting environment Pokken provides; it could be hard to create them as full fledged fighters from a developer standpoint. You could just put a large, movable puddle of water underneath Gyarados so that it looks it's emerging out of the water, but I think that would look rather silly. It's also too big of a Pokemon when compared to the ones in the roster and other Pokemon you commonly hear being suggested for Pokken.

Want: 20%

I'm sure it'd be pretty epic with all the Hyper Beams and Hydro Pumps it would use, but I would much prefer Milotic for the water serpent kind of fighter.

Hydreigon

Chance: 35%

A very popular generation 5 Pokemon distinguished for its evolution line being yet another example of a Pokemon with multiple heads (although with Hydreigon's case, those extra heads are more so used as hands; Hydreigon's Pokedex entry states that those extra heads don't have any brains at all), and it's also infamous for being Ghetsis's signature Pokemon in the 5th generation games (seriously, his Hydreigon can destroy your entire team with its killer Special Attack stat and killer moveset if you don't have a good answer to it) as well as Champion Iris's lead Pokemon in the sequel games. Unlike other pseudo-legendaries, prior to Goodra's inclusion, Hydreigon is more of a special-attacker than a physical one. With its evil-like design, along with its Dark/Dragon typing, I can see its moveset highlighting itself as a really brutal dragon, one that would have very vicious and angry movements and aerial attacks coupled with destructive moves like Dark Pulse, Dragon Breath, Hyper Beam, Flamethrower, etc.

Unfortunately, Garchomp has made it in before Hydreigon not only as the first pseudo-legendary but also the first real Dragon-type attacking on the roster. Hydreigon even has to compete with the likes of Salamence if it wants to be the second real Dragon-type fighter; compared to Hydreigon, Salamence could utilize a somewhat similar moveset with the aerial attacks and nature of executing its moves (perhaps it would use beam-like attacks as well), and Salamanca is a more popular Pokemon who also has a Mega Evolution as well. Even for a special-attacking Dragon, it has to compete with Goodra, another pseudo-legendary.

I still remember the first time I fought Ghetsis's Hydreigon in Pokemon Black. I had a Samurott with Megahorn ready to take it down, but it was able to dish out a huge amount of damage every single turn with its Dragon Pulse attack combined with its killer Special Attack and STAB; it even scored a critical hit a few times to deliver a OHKO when I least expected (and let's not forget that Ghetsis could use Full Restores when his Pokemon fall into the yellow bar). I also had a Sawk on my team as backup, but I wanted Samurott to take care of it because I thought it had the strongest chance to stand up and live against Hydreigon, but looks like even my main Pokemon couldn't stand a chance.

At one point in the battle, it seemed like I was going to lose to it, but then I pulled out my Sawk and hoped for the best. Hydreigon went first, and it delivered a killer Dragon Pulse... I thought Sawk was going to be KOd and it would all be over. But then, Sawk miraculously survived, and it delivered a Brick Break to KO the Hydreigon once and for all. My experience against Ghetsis's Hydreigon was one that I'd never forget. In fact, I'd say this was one of the few Pokemon battles I remember when my heart was really racing due to how challenging it was, the other being Cynthia's battle.

So yes, I'm pretty interested in seeing Hydreigon in Pokken. It would be really epic to see fly around and demonstrate how much of a terror it is with all the Dark Pulses, Flamethrowers, Dragon Breaths, Hyper Beams, etc. it would launch, though when it comes to my most wanted aerial Dragon Pokemon, I'm more interested in seeing Salamence make an appearance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And with this next Pokemon, I think it makes sense to play some fitting music. Not only is this track originally from Hoenn just like the Pokemon we are going to rate, but it also perfectly captures the very tense situation this Pokemon is in right now.

Swampert

Chance
: 60% --> 60%

The latest hint... oh boy. We know that the next fighter that will be revealed on the 15th has ラ in its Japanese name. Swampert has that very letter in its Japanese name (グラージ), and considering that we now have two of the three Hoenn Starters in the Pokken roster with Sceptile's inclusion (not to mention Swampert is a very popular Pokemon on its own), it seems like Swampert is the most obvious reveal for this Friday.

However, this poll was posted on the Pokken website shortly after the hint came out.
50 staff members attempted to predict the Pokemon and their reactions were polled after knowing the result. Here are the results of that:

>– My prediction is correct! I’m really happy! – 1
>– My prediction missed, but I’m still glad – 13
>– My prediction missed, I’m salty – 31
>– I’m actually perplexed, so I can’t answer – 5
Considering that most of the people predicted wrong and were salty about, it looks Swampert may not be the most likely reveal for this Friday. Heck, as TehEpicAnna pointed out, GoldenYuiitusin over at the NintenZone Social pointed out something very interesting.

Long story short, for those that don't want to click on the link, another hint lies in the color of the aura surrounding the question mark. With the last reveal, Sceptile's hint actually had a green aura around the question mark (fitting because of Sceptile's color design and his type), while in this hint, we can find a blue aura. This could imply that Swampert is still more likely, but again, look at the poll. That blue hue could also be implying this Pokemon could be an Ice-type (due to its association with the light blue color), and considering how most of the developers reacted with salt and were wrong with their predictions, that could mean the fighter for this could be someone like Jynx or Vanilluxe, two Pokemon that would really create salt over their inclusions.

Now, there are different ways this poll could be interpreted: perhaps not everyone predicted Swampert and were salty because it wasn't a Pokemon he/she wanted (and with the sheer number of Pokemon, it could make sense); personally, I think there's a reason why this poll was posted - to imply that the next fighter reveal will likely be a surprise that no one will see coming despite the circumstances that seem to point at one Pokemon that will likely be the reveal.

Transition time...

...But even with that hint, I've decided that it wouldn't be the main factor influencing my score. In this past week, I found myself rating Pokemon like I usually do and not taking the hint into the account. I was more so looking at the chances of said Pokemon being included at some point, not specifically for January 15. If I did take the hint account, Pokemon like Aggron, Kangaskhan, Gliscor, and Hydreigon, would've had much higher chance ratings than what I've given them. Thus, with this rating, I decided that I'll disregard the hint once again and look at the chances of Swampert being included at some point; the new chance score I've given Swampert is a reflection of that.

Let's look at what I said the last time Swampert was rated.
Swampert is one of the more popular Water Starters from all the generations combined, and he has been getting some spotlight in the Pokemon world again thanks to getting a Mega Evolution recently. Unfortunately, he faces the same issues as Feraligatr is dealing with at the moment. Suicune can already be seen as the Water fighter in this game, and for the sake of uniqueness with this fighting style in mind, Swampert isn't a priority to include. He would also have to compete with Blastoise, Feraligatr, and Greninja (who is a very likely inclusion at this point) if he will be the next Water Pokemon to join the roster.

Of course, like all the other Water starters, he definitely has some traits that could make him stand out from others. For one, the Ground type is yet to be represented in the game, and Swampert could be another candidate for a quake-style moveset. Perhaps most interestingly of all, he could use a mud-based moveset with moves like Muddy Water, Mud Sport, Mud Shot, and Mud Bomb, as Swampert is known for being a mud-lover. With that in mind, he would have to compete with Gastrodon and Seismitoad since they could use a similar moveset, but out of the three, Swampert is the most popular.
To be honest, I'd say not much has changed from my lasting rating. Perhaps I might have overated Swampert then, but with its current situation not counting the hint, I'd say it has an above average shot. For me, I'd say it largely resides with Sceptile's inclusion. Thanks to Sceptile, we now have two of the three Hoenn starters on the roster. True, the whole "complete the trio" deal is a fanmade rule, but when you have two of an entire trio included while one is excluded, it seems rather unfair to exclude that other member from its trio.

Heck, from a developer's standpoint, let's say with the current roster we have now, we have both Suicune and Entei on there. Would you really want to leave out Raikou out of the fray, especially considering what it is capable of? Probably not. If we had only one of an entire trio included (say just Suicune), it obviously wouldn't create a major need to add in the other members of its trio compared to a scenario where only a single one was excluded. This makes me think that Swampert's inclusion will probably (as in, there's still a chance the developers will ultimately disregard Swampert; it happened with Smash Bros where fans thought Sceptile could happen to complete the Grass/Fire/Water trio, but Sceptile ultimately didn't make the cut) happen at some point, especially when considering what else it has going for it.

When I look back at my old rating, I will admit Swampert has just gained another issue with today's news: Garchomp. Garchomp could potentially utilize a quake-style moveset just like Swampert, although I think the emphasis on mud attacks may well be enough to distinguish Swampert from the other fighters.

Referring back to what I said from that day.
Pokemon Ruby was the first Pokemon game I've every played, and Mudkip was my first starter Pokemon ever. When I saw it's awesome-looking final evolution, Swampert became my favorite Pokemon of all time (before Gallade came into the picture). I really loved the fact that he had only one weakness, and his design looks awesome. When OR/AS came out, I picked Swampert as my starter in order to have a throwback to the good ol' generation III days. I didn't like its Mega-Evolution at first, but then it really grew on me once realized how it got some excellent buffs (not to mention he is one of the most muscular-looking Pokemon I have ever seen). A mud-based moveset would also be a great concept, along with some physical based Water moves thrown into the mix. One way or the other, I will be a happy man if I see Swampert get in, but not as happy compared to seeing Gallade get included.
Yep, my want rating has definitely not changed. Swampert is pretty high on my current top 10 most wanted Pokemon for Pokken list for reasons previously stated, and with Sceptile's inclusion, I'd say I want it even more than I previously did. I mean, come on, why would you want to leave Swampert out of all the Pokken fun and glory when its fellow friends from its own trio are currently enjoying it? Even when compared to other water starters, Swampert is quite unique since it's main focus largely revolves around mud, not limited to generic water. I think that alone will make it memorable on the roster if it's added.

If Swampert really will be revealed this Friday, it will be quite a happy day for me; that would be the first time a fighter that I'm really interested in seeing gets included into Pokken. Of course, since I'm well aware there's also the possibility that Swampert won't be the reveal for that very day, I am also completely ready for the worst.

I even reread a Dorkly comic recently that had quite the amusing portrayal of Mega Swampert that captures just how awesome it really is. If any of you read the Hoenn version of "Choose Your Starter Adventure", you know what I'm talking about. On that Mega Swampert note, who wouldn't want to see Swampert's Burst Attack where it Mega Evolves and it delivers some killer punches thanks to its awesome body?

Nominations (assuming we are still doing them for today):

Toxicroak
: x3
(rerate) Salamence: x2

As for how we should handle ratings in the future, I'd say that instead of continuing to keep this thread alive for the coming weeks, it'd be better to revive this thread in light of a similar event where we eventually get some sort of Pokken news that hypes us up for a fighter in some sort of way. For me personally, I'd find myself eventually becoming a little disinterested in writing up ratings unless some big Pokken news comes along that makes me feel excited for the game and thus makes me excited to write again.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Gyarados
Chance: 5%
Not really the best candidate for a fighting game...Gyarados would be a prime candidate for a support pokemon using Surf or Hydro Pump, but as an active fighter it's a little bit awkward...I love Gyarados and all, but there are much better choices for a fighting game, especially amoung Water types such as...

----

Swampert
Chance: 50%
A bit more suitable for a fighting game...I can say that swampert would be an awesome choice for a playable fighter, but the circumstances really make things a bit complicated since his fellow starters are already confirmed...He's not going to be added because of this, but at the same time it seems a bit strange for him to get shafted...Swampert has been viewed as the less popular of the three but that's mainly because of how popular Blaziken and Sceptile are...Although it's mega form is probably one of the more popular mega's period because of how built he looks...I wouldn't be surprised if Swampert made it in to complete the trio, since he's got a lot to work with using mud and water for it's attacks, so he'd still make for an awesome fighter...
The Hoenn starters as a whole are my favourite starters from all the gens so I would definitely not be upset to see all three in the game...

----

Hydreigon
Want: 50%
This one's also a bit iffy...Hydreigon is one of the more popular 5th Gen pokemon...He's a soecial fighter so he'd probably work like Suicune by attacking from a distance using moves such as Dark Pulse and Dragon Pulse...He can also utilize flying type attacks as well...Not too confident in Hydreigon's chances however...yes he's a popular poke but so many are, and even Dragonite didn't make the cut as a playable fighter...

----

Nominations:
Tyranitar x5
Sableye x5

----

btw...not sure how motivated I'll be in the future to continue with this game...I'll stick around until Friday's reveal for now, and I'll see how I feel afterwards...

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Gyarados
I actually feel very optimistic.
Light blue aura and salt kinda line up for Magikarp MkII.

Along with that, a serpent body allows for unique moves and I heard the more OP characters are added in the console version.

Water type, serpent-dragon?
Ooooh yesss

Hydreigon
If it weren't for Garchomp this would've been higher.
Now I feel only his wings are what seperates him from Garchomp.

Meh

Swampert
Can't see people being salty about Swampy.

Except for me, give me a real water type instead of Giant Meme Kip

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Gyarados
I could see its restriction to water be a hindrance on its viability as a fighter, but it does have a good amount of popularity, so I still think it's a possibility.

Want: 10%
I personally prefer other serpentine fighters.

Swampert
Chance: 18%
To start with the most brought up point for it, I don't feel Sceptile and Blaziken being in the game helps its chances, I can see the logic behind it, but I don't think the developers really care that much about it. Considering the Pokémon added from the other trios that still don't have their members plus the repeats like Mewtwo and Shadow Mewtwo, the name of the game is what the Pokémon can bring to the table on their own, and being a part of the same trio doesn't win it more favor in that regard. So I feel Swampert being made playable will be unrelated to those two being present, and I could see him missing the boat regardless. In terms of this round in particular, I doubt that it'd only have one person that guessed it outright considering how many would be focusing on the Hoenn trio after Sceptile, especially considering 31 were salty/surprised/frustrated with the actual reveal and I doubt Swampert would surprise a lot of people. So this round I feel Swampert will sit out as it's not a Pokémon I feel fits all of the hints we're given.

With that said, it does have some merit to it though. It would likely be a bulky fighter with some ranged and AOE attacks from both of its typings, and a lot of close range options from its current movepool. It also has a good amount of popularity to it, and a Mega definitely doesn't hurt, so it has some points to get it at least considered. So it really comes down to if these good points are enough to win it favor, and while I don't see it happening tomorrow (I'd put it around 5% due to the poll), there's still a chance for later.

Want: 25%
While I do like its Mega, I never have been fond of it personally, so there are other Pokémon that I'd be more excited about.

Hydreigon
Chance: 15%
One of the most popular and notable Pokémon of the generation, he's pretty infamous for his role in Ghetsis' team, has a few notable roles in spin-offs (Pokepark and GtI, the latter of which's interpretation managed to be very popular despite the reception of the game), among other things that make him an easy standout from most Pokémon. Moveset-wise, it also stands out a lot since its unique shape, concept and great movepool lend to it not being similar at all to other potential dragon types (and Garchomp) as it can bring a very unique moveset due to it prioritizing special attacks and focusing on it being a brutal, kaiju-like, multi-headed attacker. That's something very few Pokémon can do, and that allows it to bring a lot to the table if they desired to tap into it.

Having said that, there are some flaws to it. While it has a lot of potential, there are other Pokémon that are more popular and notable then it (such as the aforementioned Salamence) that can easily surpass it. So it could be overlooked for other options, especially since the roster does seem to be pretty limited at the moment.

I enjoyed using it in the games its available and as I said before, it has a lot of potential on its own and compared to the currently playable cast. I feel that it has a lot to give to Pokken and I would like to see what they could do with it, so it's a Pokémon that I'd be very excited to see.

Second Charizard x5

As for the question, I'm leaning towards keep it open, but mostly neutral. Personally, since the game is coming out in two months and we may get more Pokémon from Corocoro, I'd prefer to keep it going since we may not have too many opportunities left. On the other hand, I can understand making it a special occurrence since interest can drop a lot between announcements. So I'm open to either, though I would like to keep it going.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Throwing in my two cents...

Gyrados

Less likely than other water types that can move on land freely.

I like the blue shrimp fish but would prefer other serpentine Pokemon like Arbok and Onix.

Swampert

Chances: 90%
Considering its name has ラ in it and that the coloration for the teaser is orange and blue. This was the case with the previous teaser which had similar colors to Sceptile which were green and red. Kinda fits with Swampert. Especially with Sceptile and Blaziken.

I would prefer Blastoise, the water crocodile from Johto, the penguin from Shinnoh, or Greninja (horrible with spelling Pokemon names) in regards to starting water starters.

Hydreigon

Chances: 25%
Popular Pokemon with an interesting typing and move set potential. A popular Dragon Pokemon too.

One of my favorite pseudo dragons after Garchomp. I would be pretty happy to see it included.

Nomz:
Tyranitar x3
Meowth x3
Aegislash x4

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Gyarados chances: 18%
Gyarados is an iconic and popular Pokémon and would likely be well received as a result... asides maybe from having an awkward design for this game's standards. While it may count as something unique (and Gyarados could possibly be the best candidate at this due to fame and popularity), it's more likely than not an obstacle as all currently confirmed Pokémon asides from Suicune are bipedal, so there's little doubt it's the body shape the developers will prefer for new fighters. Being designed to live in water is also an issue, though I don't necessarily it as a deal breaker to the same extent as other people who voted; making it stand like a snake similar to Arbok or even make it just float in the air (it's part Flying type after all) could be a possibility. Its Mega Evolution is also a potential issue due to being much more... compact if you now what I mean, which could potentially cause some awkwardness when it comes to Gyarados's implementation as a fighter.

When it comes to potential, Gyarados has access to powers related to water (Waterfall and Hydro Pump) or dragons (Twister and Dragon Rage), alongside tail attacks and bites, plus Trashs a way to attack the opponent with its whole body. Gyarados would likely not be combo-based due to its design that doesn't allow punchs or kicks, so Gyarados could possibly stand out as a super heavyweight.

Gyarados want: 80%
I love this evolutionary line and while Magikarp would be amazing if only for the hilarity factor (as long as it's not ruined by an awfully weak moveset regardless of its role as a weakling) I'd be done for Gyarados as well. It would definitely stand out among the cast by relying mostly on brute power and punishes, and could easily be comparable to what Bowser is in Super Smash Bros. for example. I'm pretty sure it'd be great if implemented well.

-----

Hydreigon chances: 8.5%
Yeah I know we already have Garchomp, but I don't think the developers care about having a certain number of Pokémon from the same archetype ("pseudo-legendaries" in the relevant case) when it comes to roster selection. However, I don't really see Hydreigon as a likely candidate, again due to design issues; Hydreigon's melee moveset potential doesn't seem great, basically limited to bites and rushes, and if we don't look too much outside of its level-up moveset (and other moves associated well enough to the Pokémon such as Dark Pulse), it doesn't come as particularly varied. Maybe I could be wrong, but right now I don't really see Hydreigon fitting in Pokkén.

Hydreigon want: 25%
Not to interested, after thinking about it it just doesn't seem like something that would translate well in Pokkén.

-----

Swampert chances: 45%
Copy and paste:
Swampert gets some competition from Blaziken (though on one hand it'd be awesome to have all fully evolved Hoenn starters playable), but while Sceptile seems to be the most viable playable Grass-type Pokémon, Swampert may suffer from severe competition from Greninja... okay, the fact we got both Charizard and Blaziken make this irrelevant, though Charizard and Blaziken seem to be overall the most popular fully evoled starters so maybe it's not that irrelevant. Sampert also has to compete with many Water-type Pokémon (the most common type in Pokémon), but what makes Swampert stand out from all of these is its mud-based abilities. There are a few more Pokémon specialized in mud, like Quagsire, Whiscash, Gastrodon, Seismitoad or Stunfisk, but compared to Swampert, they don't stand a chance when it comes to Pokkén viability in both design and popularity.
Well, two more starters were confirmed, one from the same generation as Blaziken and yet another Fire-type, so it's all probably irrelevant after all, thus increasing my score compared to my first Swampert rating. Asides from that, I think I may stick with the rest of what I said, as Swampert seems like the only mud-based Pokémon in my eyes to stand a decent chance. We may think that trying to complete the Hoenn starter trio may be important, but I'm not sure it's really a priority for the developers, although with the exposure they got as of late with ORAS it may influence their decision (MUH RELEVANCE RECENCY!!!!1!1!! - Pokkén Edition)

Swampert want: 80%
Seems interesting for a physical-oriented Water-type with mud abilities, and considering I got into the Pokémon video games (Pokémon Stadium asides) with Ruby and played with all the starters in different playthroughs I would definitely be down for all of their final stages being playable in this game. Plus Swampert is my personal favorite of the bunch.

-----

To be fair I think I'll stick with my original plan to only keep this thread open during specific periods, and thus to close this game once this day is over. Get ready to participate again at the next annoucement of an upcoming reveal or during the last weeks before the game's Japanese release!

Nominating:
Darmanitan x1
Infernape x1 (come on, we rated Torterra and Empoleon but not this)
And even though I hate to have to write that thing's name, Audino x3

Nomz:
Tyranitar x3
Meowth x3
Aegislash x4
You only have five nominations to use though, so unless you have any objection before the day ends, I'm going to count this as Tyranitar x1, Meowth x1, Aegislash x3

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I purposely left this day open longer than usual to give time to more people to vote just in case, since you know, this is the last day before the next hiatus for this game, but how well, looks like I'll have to double post after all.

Results

Gyarados chances: 8.90%
Gyarados want: 50.50%

Hydreigon chances: 14.75%
Hydreigon want: 50.00%

Swampert chances: 41.80% (up from 41.40%)
Swampert want: 46.00% (down from 69.90%)

Gyarados and Hydreigon today weren't really considered as particularly likely, the former in particular due to its design deemed as not really fitting with the game's gameplay, but people overall seem ambivalent on both Pokémon (and perfectly ambivalent in Hydreigon's case). Swampert, on the other hand, saw its chances score remain almost the same as before (just a 0.40% increase), but also its want dropping from the top 10 to no longer being in the top half.

It's really late now, so I'm going to leave without updating everything else before a little while, at a time whoever the new hinted at challenger is will likely already had been revealed. Anyway, thanks a lot to everyone who participated! I'm planning to reopen this game later when we'll get more news about Pokkén in February or during the last few weeks before the game's release in March.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Chandelure has been confirmed. Yes!
Yet another Pokémon we haven't rated... definitely wasn't expected anyway!

On the other hand this confirms the possibility of getting Pokémon as both background characters and playable! Heracross, Snorlax, Electivire, etc. supporters still have hope!

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Definitely not my first choice, but I'm not complaining, Chandelure's an awesome pokemon!

Am excited that Heracross and Sableye are back on the table again!!

Top Bottom