• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Overrated: RIDLEY
I love Ridley. I really do. But with such limited roster space and a hint at him being a boss, how can so many people be so confident in him? I don't think he's out of the running just yet: but people have to lower their expectations just a little.

Underrated: Chorus Kids
Not necessarily in chance: but in want. Give them a chance guys; they can be really awesome. They're adorable and expressive characters with so much potential to be amazing: a rhythm based trio is probably one of the most unique things that Sakurai could have come up with. Just because the aren't Ridley or K. Rool doesn't mean they aren't worth adding. You'll all love them in a month.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Overrated: N/A
Underrated: N/A

nothing is for certain at this point except the things that are certian. anything goes. don't even know why I'm here.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
Most Overrated: King K. Rool. I never got why so many people thought he was a shoe in when there has been nothing to suggest that he would be in.
Honorable Mention: Bowser JR. I doubt we would get a second Mario newcomer, and if we do I doubt it would be him

Most Underrated: Chrom. Even without the Gematsu leak I thought he was a shoe in, so seeing him have a lower score than the leak is weird.

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Overrated: Chrom
Yeah he's pretty much guaranteed to be in the game thanks to Gematsu, but even before that he was one of the most highly requested characters, and I don't see why. He's another sword wielding, blue haired, lord, just like the other two reps from his series, Marth and Ike. Not only that, but it seems he'll probably just be a lazy in-between of those two characters. Stronger than Marth, weaker than Ike. Faster than Ike, slower than Marth. Fire Emblem Awakening (to my understanding, I'm not very far) had tons of new, interesting characters, I'm sure they could find someone else in that game who is a little more interesting for the sake of series diversity.

Underrated: Paper Mario
A character who could have a massive, diverse, and unique moveset, but is shunned because he's another Mario. Yeah, he is another Mario, but so long as they make him unique, I don't see the issue. If he ends up a clone like Dr. Mario (which would be an utter tragedy), then yes he deserves the disapproval, but if he sets himself apart to be unique, then I'm all for it. Alot of people complain at a lack of representation from the Mario RPG games (Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi), with minimal music and no stages. Paper Mario could help us get representation from both RPG series'

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think I'm going to abstain from overrated character.

As for underrated, I believe it's Lucas. The leak itself stepped short of calling him a definite cut, but that hasn't stopped others from saying that he has been cut with absolute certainty.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Overrated: Takamaru
Considered the next big retro character by some, but I personally don't see it. Duck Hunt Dog or Excitebiker seem to offer better possibilities if we're strictly going on potential, as is usually the case with retro candidates. I think Sakurai would lean in those directions. I concede Takamaru has a legitimate chance, but just not on the level that's been established in this thread.

Underrated: Paper Mario
His games are among the very best in the Marioverse, they've enjoyed some respectable commercial success, and as us PM fans know, he offers a plethora of captivating moveset possibilities - all of which can be canon. Objectively speaking, he deserves significant recognition. When I saw his abysmal chance score, I was surprised. This guy is definitely the number one choice for an SMRPG character, and in a deep pool of excellent ones, he manages to stand out; that by itself is impressive.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The top three is obvious. The DK newcomers are appropriately placed. Ridley. . .I'll get to him in a moment. Isaac, Chibi-Robo, and Bowser Jr. are mainly just filler to varying degrees. But Takamaru? He was only ever poster-boy for "retro newcomer," a concept that encompasses hundreds, if not thousands of characters, and one that was greatly exaggerated in chance when Sakurai said "he enjoys bringing back old characters." Old characters, which doesn't necessarily apply to those we deem 'retro.' Then, there's always the Mii Fighter having a ninja star projectile, plus Greninja's existence to keep in mind, despite neither outright ruling him out.

Underrated: Ridley
I think Ridley and K. Rool are similar in that they've been teased or hinted at to varying degrees. However, because Ridley's teasing has a better chance of ending with a character reveal, plus there being an actual physical sign of his presence, I'd swap him and K. Rool on the 'chances' list. He could technically be overrated as far as sheer percentage goes, but as far as who's next in line as a newcomer candidate, I think he's the obvious one.

Nominate:
Brash the Friggin' Bear x5

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
(note: I will not use non-smash arguments, because all I care about in smash... IS SMASH!!!)

Overrated: Porky.

It literally will never happen.

You could scale Porky down, sure, but that would make Porky himself inside that purple robot as small as a Olimar in the Pikmin games per scale. That literally makes no sense in having.

Underrated: (Sal leaks don't count because they're 100% in)

Ridley.

Ridley has been consistently one of the 4 most demanded potential newcomers post-Brawl, and historically 100% of the top 4 most requested characters got in (in Melee that was Peach, Bowser, Mewtwo, and either Zelda or Peach, and in Brawl that was Wario, Dedede, Diddy, and Sonic).

So far we've gotten at least 2 of the 4 in Mega Man and Little Mac, so it's not too crazy from that aspect.

But that's not my main argument.

Going back pre-Brawl, people knew, they just KNEW Sakurai flat confirmed Ness was cut.

Yet, Ness was in all the leaks that lasted until the launch of the game, and fans of his were dragged through the mud because Ness was "deconfirmed" in favor of Lucas, and yet, he was constantly teased in little ways (Lucas being the only character not in any Brawl demo, Lucas having nearly universal unique moves, Onett returning, etc).

Ridley's pretty much in the same situation. He was "deconfirmed" as a boss, and yet, he's constantly teased. Constantly.

Now, let's tie this all together.

You know how I teased my main argument=??? Well this is it: In all the leaks that aren't the Sal/Gematsu leak (which together have just over a dozen playable characters), Ridley is in them.

In all the leaks Ness was in pre-Brawl that weren't proven false before his confirmation, Ness was in.

I'm just adding two and two together, and it makes plenty of sense.

All of this makes plenty of sense from a historical perspective.

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
Overrated: Porky.
Granted the rate was far before Gematsu Mk.3, but I feel as though Porky's chances are much closer to 0% at this point, if Lucas was in discussion, I feel that a replacement Mother rep is very unlikely.
Underrated: Lucas On the inverse is the other Earthbound Boy, Lucas. I feel like that because of Gematsu Mk.3, people jumped to the conclusion that Lucas was gone from the game when even the leak itself couldn't bring itself to disconfirm the boy.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Overrated- Porky Minch
Yeah, total pipe dream. He'd be cool , but it's a pipe dream.

Underrated- Mewtwo
If he's not in the game, he's DLC. There is literally no greater choice imo. He got underrated thanks to "But Greninja and Lucario replaced/cannot coexist with Mewtwo ratings".

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The top three is obvious. The DK newcomers are appropriately placed. Ridley. . .I'll get to him in a moment. Isaac, Chibi-Robo, and Bowser Jr. are mainly just filler to varying degrees. But Takamaru? He was only ever poster-boy for "retro newcomer," a concept that encompasses hundreds, if not thousands of characters, and one that was greatly exaggerated in chance when Sakurai said "he enjoys bringing back old characters." Old characters, which doesn't necessarily apply to those we deem 'retro.' Then, there's always the Mii Fighter having a ninja star projectile, plus Greninja's existence to keep in mind, despite neither outright ruling him out.
I do feel like pointing out that the "old characters" comment was specifically referring to characters like Pit in Brawl. The context was asking if Sakurai wanted to revive any forgotten franchises.

And Takamaru only uses ninja stars in Nintendoland. He never uses them in his own game. Only the enemy ninjas do.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I do feel like pointing out that the "old characters" comment was specifically referring to characters like Pit in Brawl. The context was asking if Sakurai wanted to revive any forgotten franchises.

And Takamaru only uses ninja stars in Nintendoland. He never uses them in his own game. Only the enemy ninjas do.
I know that, which is why it's interesting to me that Sakurai steered the conversation away from "forgotten franchises" to "old characters" instead. Also, I don't remember the whole quote, but did he even specify he was bringing back old characters as playable, or just that he was including them, period?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Most overrated and underrated?

HMMM.

Most overrated...

I'm torn. It's close but...well here's the runner up first:

K. Rool is far more overrated on Smashboards and GameFAQs to the point I've seen individuals call him a shoo-in character. Which is ridiculous considering K. Rool is a character that Nintendo have shown to give very little love to. He's a dark horse fan favourite at best guys and will remain that way until he muscles his way back into the current DK reboot. I mean properly and not in the shape of some rock formations.

But...as much as I feel K. Rool is overestimated(and he really is), the MOST overrated for me still goes to Takamaru, a character only a handful of people knew or cared about prior to Nintendoland.
The desperate search for a character to fit the fan made criteria of 'retro rep' lead to many flocking to this relatively generic, mostly forgotten character of yesteryear due to being part of another fan made criteria; the Famicom Four.

Special mentions:

Geno who ranks in at 110 currently. Whilst this is low, considering we go to 190, he's still entirely too high up the ranking system with almost 3% chance. Dude is a fat 0% if we're honest with ourselves; Square would never use him, Nintendo don't care about him and there's far more popular/important Mario characters in his way. Like Koopa Troopa even.

Likewise how DBZ's Goku got above 0% is mind blowing. You have all failed.

Most Underrated:

Lucas

I'm not a big fan of Lucas...actually that's an understatement, he was by far my least favourite Brawl newcomer, but the fact he's lower than 50% is a little depressing. According to this we find K. Rool, Mewtwo, Ridley and the Gematsu three all as more likely candidates than Lucas returning...which honestly seems more like the fandom's hopes getting confused for chances. Look at that; the three most popular characters upon these boards have more of a chance than Lucas returning...based on what exactly? Because we want them?

Special Mentions:

Captain Toad
for ranking lower than Geno. Even if you hate Captain Toad he's more likely than Geno, that much should just be obvious.

Dixie Kong is slightly underestimated, but no big deal she's about right on the chance score.

Any Nintendo character who ranked below Goku. ANY of them.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I know that, which is why it's interesting to me that Sakurai steered the conversation away from "forgotten franchises" to "old characters" instead. Also, I don't remember the whole quote, but did he even specify he was bringing back old characters as playable, or just that he was including them, period?
Adam Riley: You have mentioned how you like to breathe new life into forgotten franchises. Now that Kid Icarus has been completed, what other old classic would you like to look at? Ice Climbers, Star Tropics,MoleMania…or something non-Nintendo?

Sakurai-san: I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros. From that perspective, I am probably in the most fortunate position in the world.​

He doesn't outright state anything, but I think it takes more than including a retro assist trophy to get people interested in a forgotten franchise. That's subjective on my part, though.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Geno who ranks in at 110 currently. Whilst this is low, considering we go to 190, he's still entirely too high up the ranking system with almost 3% chance. Dude is a fat 0% if we're honest with ourselves; Square would never use him, Nintendo don't care about him and there's far more popular/important Mario characters in his way. Like Koopa Troopa even.
I'd say he has stayed at that near 3% chance because no other ever bothered to re-rate him. A re-rate now would bring him much closer to a zero.

D

Deleted member

Most Overrated: Ridley: I don't hate him, but I really don't understand all the fuss. People seem to forget Ridley isn't all that popular in Japan. His chances are highly overestimated in my opinion.

Most Underrated: tough call between Lucas, and Snake, but I'm going with Lucas: Gematsu didn't say he was cut, but some think that outright deconfirms him. Some also think custom movesets could hurt him. I personally don't think so looking at how the few moves we've seen are handled. The way it stands, it looks like Lucas is gonna be a repeat of the Ness cut assumption with Brawl.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Since my previous post seems to have approached this from a wrong perspective (the want perspective and not chance) I rewrote this from scratch

Most Overrated:
Takamaru: despite the tradition of Sakurai of bringing back death franchises, I am not enterely sure why Takamaru is the most obvious and stronger contender for the slot, if there is somethin Nintendo has is IP so any character from a death series can take the spot.

Most Underrated:
Mmmm really I don't find any good canditate for this except maybe Dixie.

Curious about my original post?

Chrom: I can't believe the among of hate that he gets just because "he is another blue haired swordman", "he would be a clone between Marth and Ike" and the really flawed and personal favorite "he has the same sword as Marth"

The first one is only a matter of taste and design so I can let that pass the other two on are really flawed and it bothers me that people claim them as facts.

He being a clone or a fusion between Marth and Ike? well considering any of the newcomers so far aren't clones or semiclones, I don't get why people say this. Sakurai has delivered plently of new ideas and moveset even from swordwielding characters, so please try to see about your "omg another sword from Fire Emblem he must be a clone" because it would only makes sense if Sakurai goes lazy and make him a semiclone, but so far with the newcomers shown that is not really likely.

"He has the same sword as Marth"
Ok this one is priceless because is so wrong. Anyone who have actually played Awakening and Shadow Dragon would notice that despite Falchion appearing in both games, the design is TOTALLY different, so different that if it weren't for the same name FALCHION, nobody would have guessed that they are the same sword.
Even then Chrom/Lucina's Falchion behave differently from Marth's having different attributes.

Chrom/ Lucina's Falchion
  • Glow when the flow of time is changing
  • The sword glows constantly after the Awakening ritual
  • The sword can restore HP if needed
So I suggest to people that haven't played the games to actually do because despite being theorically the same sword, design wise and atributes are totally different.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Most Overrated:
Bowser Jr. the fact that he IS in the top 10 chance amaze me.

Most Underrated:
Chrom: I can't believe the among of hate that he gets just because "he is another blue haired swordman", "he would be a clone between Marth and Ike" and the really flawed and personal favorite "he has the same sword as Marth"

The first one is only a matter of taste and design so I can let that pass the other two on are really flawed and it bothers me that people claim them as facts.

He being a clone or a fusion between Marth and Ike? well considering any of the newcomers so far isn't a clone or semiclone, I don't get why people see this. Sakurai has delevered plently of new ideas and moveset even from swordwielding characters, so please try to see about your "omg another sword from Fire Emblem he must be a clone" because it would only makes sense if Sakurai goes lazy and make him a semiclone, but so far with the newcomers shown that is not really likely.

"He has the same sword as Marth"
Ok this one is priceless because is so wrong. Anyone who have actually played Awakening and Shadow Dragon would notice that despite Falchion appearing in both games, the design is TOTALLY different, so different that if it weren't for the same name FALCHION, nobody would have guessed that they are the same sword.
Even then Chrom/Lucina's Falchion behave differently from Marth's having different attributes.

Chrom/ Lucina's Falchion
  • Glow when the flow of time is changing
  • The sword glows constantly after the Awakening ritual
  • The sword can restore HP if needed
So I suggest to people that haven't played the games to actually do because despite being theorically the same sword, design wise and atributes are totally different.
I thought we were rating in terms of chances, not want? Most of what you said about Chrom has to do with how much people want him rather than his chances.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
I thought we were rating in terms of chances, not want? Most of what you said about Chrom has to do with how much people want him rather than his chances.
People still rate him bad on chance based on their dissaproval of the character despite being in the leak with Chorus Kids and Shulk so subjetive or not people still complain about him being in the game.
Aren't Chrom rated lower that the leak? that makes no sense.
And somepeople STILL think Chrom is not a shoe in with the claim that, "maybe the leaker means Robin"

But I might edit my post so people get a better idea of what I am trying to explain

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Aren't Chrom rated lower that the leak? that makes no sense
It was the same thing as the Chorus Kids. It's possible that the leaker was told "main character/lord of Awakening" and assumed Chrom or that Chrom was planned at first, but was cut later in development. Either way, Chrom wouldn't get in and the leak would still be true.

The views mentioned in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of Pacack and co.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
People still rate him bad on chance based on their dissaproval of the character despite being in the leak with Chorus Kids and Shulk so subjetive or not people still complain about him being in the game.
And somepeople STILL think Chrom is not a shoe in with the claim that, "maybe the leaker means Robin"

But I might edit my post so people get a better idea of what I am trying to explain
To be fair, the leak's information is outdated. While the leak itself is likely real, it is possible that it is not entirely accurate. What we know is that at some point early in development, those leaked characters were planned. Whether or not they all made it into the final roster remains to be seen.

Anyway...

Most Overrated: Chibi Robo

The fact that he's in the Top 10 of Chance kind of bothers me. I can't really recall the last time we rated him, but I assume it was before roster slots became more limited and the Gematsu leak got more evidence in its favor. I don't think it's accurate to say that he's one of the Top 10 most likely newcomers, frankly.

Most Underrated: Ridley

This is quite a controversial matter, isn't it? I won't go into much detail here, but I've been feeling more confident in Ridley as of late. I think people are counting him out a little too soon.

Burigu

Smash Ace
It was the same thing as the Chorus Kids. It's possible that the leaker was told "main character/lord of Awakening" and assumed Chrom or that Chrom was planned at first, but was cut later in development. Either way, Chrom wouldn't get in and the leak would still be true.

The views mentioned in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of Pacack and co.
Well we are talking here with the assumption that the leak is true, if he wasn't sure it was Chrom he might have put "character from FE" that way he cover his bases like with "pokemon from x&y" I know that no pokemon has been choosing by the time, but I doubt he would have made assuptions on the character identity and risk his credibility.

To be fair, the leak's information is outdated. While the leak itself is likely real, it is possible that it is not entirely accurate. What we know is that at some point early in development, those leaked characters were planned. Whether or not they all made it into the final roster remains to be seen.
It might be outdated but until proven outdated, I will threat it as true.

But if my score is really not accurate with this situation I will edit it with other character, I guess I just confuse a bit the situation since other people have labelled Chrom as most underrated

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

But if my score is really not accurate with this situation I will edit it with other character, I guess I just confuse a bit the situation since other people have labelled Chrom as most underrated
I mean, it kind of is outdated; "Pokemon from X and Y" and the mentioning of a Ness vs. Lucas debate (which would have to have happened early in development) are evidence enough, I think. I think the more proper phrase would be "It might be inaccurate, but until proven inaccurate, I will treat is as true."

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Overrated: sceptile

All because a remake of ruby and sapphire hes sudden up there, and it comes out too late.

Underrated ridley

Now a new megaman and pikachu on the pryosphere was taken and it shows ridleys size even more.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well we are talking here with the assumption that the leak is true, if he wasn't sure it was Chrom he might have put "character from FE" that way he cover his bases like with "pokemon from x&y" I know that no pokemon has been choosing by the time, but I doubt he would have made assuptions on the character identity and risk his credibility.

I'm not arguing that that's the correct view. You asked how it made any sense that Chrom got lower than Gematsu, and that's how.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Is Ridley going to win most underated newcomer twice in a row? I know he's a BIG deal, but he's #5 on the chance chart, and despite all the flak he sometimes gets, he has a good score of about 50%. If we were still doing most accurate prediction, I would have chosen Ridley; he is not even close to confirmed or deconfirmed, and is a perfect middle of the road prediction. I honestly think Ridley's score may go down if we re-rate him again. He got a good 15% or so increase last time, and I'm not sure of how much higher it could get.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Which is ridiculous as if that was the case, he would have stated "FE:A character" not Chrom. You don't spell Robin or Lucina by C-H-R-O-M.

Unless people are willing to argue that Chrom could be low-priority, there is still no reason why he shouldn't be more or less equal with Shulk. Even that seems like a stretch considering that it is unlikely that any Awakening character would be low-priority considering the Arena Ferox stage has already been confirmed.

I absolutely share your sentiment. Forget any other characters deemed underrated, Chrom is the most underrated.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Most Overated - Bowser Jr.
With the Gematsu leak starting to come true, very few non gematsu characters still have a chance. Bowser Jr. is not one of them.

Most Underated - Chrom
He should get at least what the gematsu leak got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom