• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the last game you finished!

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Came back from playing Tekken 3.

Yeah, rating this 4 outta 5.

What I liked
  • The juggle combos but they look cooler from Tekken 5 onward
  • The ability to change button functions. Doing two-button moves is easier and makes King's Rolling Death Cradle less of a pain to whip out.
  • Tekken Ball
  • The remixed version of music especially on Nina and Bryan's home stage

What I didn't like
  • Inability to disable neutral guard like one can on the arcade cabinet (damn)
  • Kuma's f,f+2 often misses even when he's next to the opponent (what the ****)
  • Tekken Force
  • Kunimitsu's exclusion from the game

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Project X Zone 2

4.9/10

+ Fanservice done right
+ Wonderful animations, effects and pixel art all over the places (as far as 3DS hardware standards go, okay?)
- On the other hand, some of the most common 'overworld' sprite interactions are definitely cheap and disturbing
+ If you have the patience, you can get a few REAL good laughs in the course of the last chapters, since the characters in your party are just that good (particularly Dante and Leon)
- You thought the first one was repetitive? Don't even consider buying this one.
- Plot feels like it doesn't pick up until the very last chapter (which is chapter 42...)
+ Speaking of chapter 42, the overall setting for the final fight is applause worthy; music, scenery, background and all the cast can fight too. I think that PXZ1's was better though.
- Press A, press R & L, use the d-pad occasionnally, repeat for hours and there you have a(n exhausting) game!
- Clearly a step down from the first game

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Finished playing Tekken 5 last night, and here's my input:
  • Pretty wide selection of fighters unlike Tekken 4
  • Juggle combos look much cooler than previous installments. Now, I own Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U edition and juggle combos look even cooler
  • Pity that Jinpachi wasn't playable save the use of a cheat device. I think of him as Master Hand except he never causes the game to freeze when the match is over. I sometimes play as this behemoth.
  • What in the name of cyanide ions is Devil Within? I generally can't get used to the unusual controls here, so I avoid.
  • I like that y'all can customize characters with color changes and other adornments. Now, I personally recolored all fighters costumes to give them their appearance in Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection.
  • Pretty pitiful that one cannot acquire fight money in Vs. mode at all. To be honest, I'm **** at fighting ghosts and CPUs but that is what practice mode is for, right?
  • I have this nasty habit of picking on Asuka in her schoolgirl outfit and starting to do the same on Anna, but all of this is only when I ain't playing around in practice mode
  • Just as in Tekken 4, above-average quality graphics but feels antiquated compared to TTT2

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Rating: 8.8/10

Though not as good as The Blazing Blade, it's still a great entry in the series. Great characters (L 'Arachel and Marisa are the best), story was alright, great level designs and great art style. I also liked doing challenges to level up the characters in preparation for the next battle and so on. Took me two tries to beat the final boss. lol

In the end, it's a great game and I really enjoyed it. I would definitely play again.

Last edited:

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Hmm...rating Tekken 4...

Not the best game in the series, but it's okay. A 3-star rating it gets and here's why:
  • Considering a health meter has 165 HP and the juggle damage system here, most combos seem weak.
  • They made it needlessly difficult to crouch or jump.
  • The introduction of uneven ground and other structures makes whiffing much more common than ever. I'm happy that this stopped appearing in Tekken 5.
  • I personally don't care for the introduction of just-frame attacks since my technical skill is ****
  • I do appreciate the ability to move before the round starts.
  • I shan't talk about Tekken Force since it has unusual controls I cannot manage.
  • Command training was a nice touch since I'm familiarizing myself with everyone's moves. I wish the game gave me different sets of commands every time I hop on here.

Of all the Tekken sequels, this one I was not impressed with, but the characters' ending movies were pretty good.

Yooka-Laylee

Pros
+++ Gameplay
++ Special moves were fun
++ Graphics
++ Worlds looks gorgeous, even though they are sometimes a little empty
++ All bosses are unique
++ Lot of things to collect
+ Characters
+ Shovel Knight cameo
Cons
--- Kartos missions are awful, there was no need to have one in every world.
-- Rextro's minigames are boring, and way too many pagies are obtained by playing them.
-- Game almost never informs you if the pagie needs an ability you don't have yet.
- Most boss fights are tedious: World 2 and 4 boss fights felt unnecessarily long, whereas World 1 boss was otherwise awful.
- Transformations were disappointing.
- Characters voices are kinda annoying.

8/10

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Persona 5

+/- First playthrough to true ending clocked in at about 100 hours. This game is long
+/- No grinding required in a normal playthrough, which means the game was a little on the easy side. We'll see how Hard and Merciless mode fare.
+ Fun turn based battles
+ More nuanced palaces replace the linear procedural generated dungeons of the last game.
+ Social Links grant you unique skills both real world and palaces in addition to fusion experience. These include switching out party members mid-battle, making coffee that recovers SP, fusing personas that are at a higher level than you., customizing your gun for boosted stats and more.
- Pacing slows down to a crawl after you complete a palace
- Mementos, never enjoyed exploring this place.
- Why can't I go from a Palace to Mementos within the same day!?

5/5
This has been my most wanted game for several years now. I'm glad I avoided most of the gameplay spoilers because this game exceeded my expectations.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Final Fantasy 6
9.8/10

Amazing story, amazing and memorable cast of characters, amazing gameplay, amazing soundtrack. Final boss battle was pretty intense but epic as well. Overall, the game is just simply amazing in every way I don't believe I have anything bad to say about it. I absolutely enjoyed the 55 hours I've put into it and a Final Fantasy experience I'll always remember.

Last edited:

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Mario Kart Double Dash
4 stars outta 5

Well, I appreciated the pretty wide selection of characters and karts compared to Mario Kart 64; Mirror Mode GP is a pretty challenging mode but CPUs no longer have unfair advantages they had in 64's extra mode; even today when GCN games seem outdated and antiquated the graphics are high-quality.

Also liked: Peach & Daisy team driving Turbo Birdo; Barrel Train; Parade Kart; ability to disable items or decide which set of items appear; Rainbow Road track.

I've had this game for eight years now and next to Melee and Mario Party this is probably the best Gamecube game I shan't part with...

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Saint's Row 3: 4.5 / 5

+ Loved the character customization
+ Great story and characters
+ Missions were fun
+ Appears to have more replay-ability than Saint's Row 4
+ Is also more of a gangster game than Saint's Row 4
+ Alternate routes and ending
+ You get to have zombies as your allies; this was funny

- Short as usual just like it's sequel
- Some missions can get annoying
- Ally Al can get stupid

All and all, I liked it. Trying to backtrack starting from 4 to 2 since the first one isn't accessible on PSN Store.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment

Pros
+++ Gameplay is fun and unique
+++ All the levels are new
++ Game is challenging but not unfair
++ Specter Knight's backstory
++ Almost all of SK's attacks from the boss fight are usable
Cons
- Quite short, but to be fair, it is free DLC

9.5/10

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
PS3 Persona 5:
9 / 10

+ Story was well written and defined. Excellent contrast to the thesis of P4.
+ Game aesthetics and mechanics flowed very well with the central theme.
+ Music always a plus for being stylish and jazzy.
+ Dungeons were amazingly well designed. Did not mind grinding in any of them.
+ You get to switch out your party members and they receive the same experience in a Confidant benefit. (This was a huge plus)
+ Thanatos Picaro!

- The cast in P4 were more memorable. At least everyone was equally useful in P4, but in P5, there's like one or two people in the group that nearly invalidates everyone else aside from MC.
- Some bosses have a weird difficulty curve. Like the second one was harder than the first by a huge amount but easier than the third.
- Ryuji and Morgana. Ryuji shouting out *****y adults got old and eventually rubbed me the wrong way and Morgana became annoying, especially due to a particular and pointless arc of his.
- Mementos was boring until you reach the very depths. I liked Tartarus better.
- Final Boss Arc was improperly written just like P4 (Typical out of nowhere Final Boss like FFIX)
- No Reincarnation track.

Game seemed easier than 3 and 4. Honestly, I think it might be equal to Persona 4. Here's hoping the Phantom Thieves go into a Arena storyline. Still not the game of the year 2017 when the new Zelda and FFXV exist.

Last edited:

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
Persona 5: 10/10
Not really much to say, the game is just amazing.

Nier Automata: 9/10

Super fun and challanging gameplay. Awesome surreal story. Amazing music and interesting characters.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Blaster Master Zero: 9/10

Pros:
Mechanics feel spot on, much like the original
Customizable controls
Loads of interesting weapons and upgrades for Jason and Sophia
Maps are actually useful now, which helps with exploring the various zones
Doesn't use most of the original game's music (slightly disappointing) but most of the tunes used in their place are still damn good
Both Jason and Sophia can battle bosses, something that was missing from some of the earlier games
FREE DLC!!! (for the first week or so)
Sophia Zero is one badass machine, but....

Cons:

....the game was already on the easy side and Sophia Zero trivializes the game even further (still fun to play around in though)
Some of Jason's guns seem OP compared to others
Enemies drop too many items (especially Gun Ups)

Other thoughts:

As far as I'm concerned BMZ's difficulty is its only real flaw, which Inti Creates tried to address with V1.2's Destroyer Mode. It does make the game harder in a sense, but I believe it goes about it the wrong way. The enemies and bosses (save for the final boss) don't actually get any harder, just some of them can take a bit more punishment than usual and unleashing a projectile upon their death in Sophia mode, whereas in Jason mode the enemies are immune to most of his guns, making them worthless (though his subweapons usually work). Also, the health upgrades and Jason's Energy Guard have been nullified (you can still physically collect them but they don't do anything). Truth be told, I'm really not a fan of hard modes in which the only method of making the game harder is limiting the player's actions and abilities. Unfortunately, this seems to be a theme with many of Inti Creates' games, most notably the MMZ/ZX series.

That said, BMZ is still very much a solid entry in the series, definitely deserving of the series' name. And Inti has shown once more that they know how to handle a classic series such as this. And they still got more content coming in the near future, so that's something to look forward to.

Now that Inti got things started, hopefully Sunsoft won't let the series stay underground for the next 10 years (or however long they decide to not work on their series).

Tomlanji

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tomlanji
3DS FC
4098-2281-7871
Persona 5 | 8/10

Pros-
  • Entertaining story
  • Enjoyable characters
  • Amazing gameplay that kept me playing for over 140+ hours
  • Godly soundtrack
  • Has some of the best visuals in gaming
Cons-
  • Characters aren't as memorable as past Persona casts
  • Story doesn't go in depth with some key characters
  • Story has bad points (such as the 5th palace's arc in general)
  • The 5th palace
  • Some villains are pretty forgettable
Just some rambling, don't take this seriously if you for some ungodly reason read this.

I truly do not like Haru. Absolutely bland. It is incredible how little personality she has when compared to everyone else in the Phantom Thieves. The most you get out of her is:
-Is nice
-Is probably a Yandere

She doesn't develop over the course of the story, and she was fairly useless to my team on both playthroughs I have currently done.

-Legit Spoilers-

Akechi is wasted potential. They could have done so much more with him, yet they didn't. His reveal as the one behind the killings & being the traitor were fairly obvious to the point where I literally thought "they wouldn't do something THAT obvious..." Aaaand I was right unfortunately.
_____________________________​
Some say it was meant to be obvious, in order to lead to the Igor bit. I personally would have appreciated more of a reveal and more depth to Akechi, so I would feel that I was done. That was the end of it all...Akechi did it. THEN Igor's bit comes into play. Rather than feeling disappointed until Igor.
Shido was rather underdeveloped as well. He was fairly forgettable and I am truly confused as for how Akira didn't realize Shido was the man who basically tried to ruin his life. The Persona 4 killer was far more entertaining, despite having no actual motivation. He had thoughts that people could relate to, but went down a darker road than any should go. Some people would never see it coming. With Shido? I really do not care for the guy. He felt really meh to me.
The 5th palace man... that was the only point in the gameplay where I wanted to stop playing. The dungeon went on for FAR too long, and the reflect Physical attack & Gun attack sapped at my party's SP. Even on my second playthrough, I could not stand to do this palace again. I hate this palace so much. A blemish on a game I truly adore. I don't understand why everyone hated the 7th palace, it was fairly straight forward. Cleared it easily on my first try, was even easier on my second.
Yusuke is the best character. Best social link as well.
Akechi has the best PSN theme render. Its so good I had to do some PS work with it. Its too good.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
TellTale's The Walking Dead: A New Frontier

4/10

(Spoilers)

Pros:
  • Javi is pretty cool.
  • There is a character in the game that has a ton of determinant death scenes and can live in the end (a first for TT).
  • Some really satisfying moments.
Cons:
  • Clementine is in the game, which essentially ruins the game because I care more about her than Javi and his family.
  • Choices are very one-sided and took me less than 2 seconds to decide on. The only hard choice for me was choosing between Tripp or Ava in EP4.
  • Episodes are about an hour each, which pales in comparison to the previous season's 2 hour episodes.
  • You are forced to be with Kate and against David. I spent the entire game rejecting Kate and sticking with David, and the latter still fought with me. The scene where you fight with David while saying "I love you" was probably one of the dumbest scenes in a TT game.
  • The episode 1 flashbacks.
  • Characters change personalities in an instant and overall are just badly written.
  • Tons of unexplained plotlines in the finale (what happened to Max and Joan/Clint?)
  • A lot of dialogue options are incredibly misleading: [Tell him off] = "YOUR WIFE IS LEAVING YOU!"

In short, I wasn't a fan of the first two episodes but I thought episodes 3 and 4 were an improvement. I probably would've given the game a 6 or a 7/10, but the finale just ruined it. Easily the worst TT game I've played, and I probably won't be getting a new one unless it's a sequel to TWAU or GoT.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
8/10

Pros
  • Great story and narrator
  • Some characters are great
  • Superb voice acting
  • Dungeon exploration is a nice touch and really fun
  • Great soundtrack
  • Anime cut scenes are amazing
  • Absence of the Weapon Triangle never bothered me
Cons
  • Support conversation are pretty dull
  • Battle maps are not well designed
  • Magic users giving up some of their HP just to use their magic, which I find dumb in my opinion
  • Faye. Nuff said

A great game overall and a rather unique entry in the series. I haven't played the post-game part yet but I need a break from the game after all the crazy **** I had to experience. I'll get to it eventually.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Life is Strange

9/10

Pros:
  • Amazing story with tons of great moments, characters, and twists.
  • Rewind feature is pretty cool.
  • Lots of puzzles.
  • Choices actually matter, which feels so great after playing The Walking Dead: A New Frontier.

Cons:
  • Dialogue is really cringy ("hella," "go **** your selfie") and feels like it was written by adults trying to be hip. Also there are a few memes present (like the "Y U NO" meme on one of the walls) which just adds to the cringe.
  • Many parts of the game (specifically the start and end of each episode) drag on forever.
  • The nightmare sequence in episode 5 was completely unnecessary.

It was free on PSN so I tried it out. I came into this game expecting some tumblr-type game but was very surprised to how enjoyable it was. Can't wait for the sequel.

Last edited:

Windstar

Banned via Warnings
On a completely different note, I just finished Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. Review in the spoiler thingy below.

Ah, connectivity. The buzzword that never took off. The year was 2003 and Nintendo was completely obsessed with this concept of “connectivity”. Their vision was that every player would connect 4 different handhelds to each other and then to their home console all to play one game. Oh yeah, and you have to buy special cables for each handheld, so $700 worth of systems and $150 worth of cables later, you can finally play the experience Nintendo has intended for you. Luckily, connectivity was a miserable failure since nobody could afford it, but amidst all the Animal Crossing e-Reader cards and ugly purple cables, it left a few quality games in its dust. Kirby and the Amazing Mirror may have been the finest of these, a game that promoted four players cramped together on the floor but secretly delivered a better single-player Kirby experience than any other.

The Amazing Mirror has shattered into eight different pieces and unleashed great evil across Dream Land. In the process, Kirby has been split into four different recolors of himself. You know, exactly like Zelda's Four Swords. These four Kirbys only apply to multiplayer, who communicate with now-outdated-looking cell phones. A lone player will control the standard pink Kirby, who functions as he always has – infinite flight, sucking up enemies, gaining their abilities, and using said abilities to collect secret items and progress through stages. Although Kirby and the Amazing Mirror looks like a basic Kirby game on the exterior, however, it plays more like a Metroid or Castlevania title in that everything takes place in one seamless connecting world. The “maze” pun in “Amazing Mirror” is no coincidence, as everything is about finding your way, retracing your steps, and finding ways to reach places you could not before.

The worlds themselves are vibrant and beautiful. The primary objective is to locate the boss in each zone and earn a shard of the mirror, though further rewards await for finding every treasure chest and uncovering each portion of the map. Along the way, you will activate portal mirrors which act as shortcuts between worlds. Adopting the Metroid style even further, Amazing Mirror has many largely optional areas that will benefit you in the long run if you seek them out. It's a very atypical approach to the Kirby formula, but given Kirby's infinite flight abilities and assorted powers, it works beautifully as an incentive for exploration. However, the rewards for finding the chests scattered around the world can sometimes be lackluster. With all due respect to other Kirby games, which are very fun, they can be easily completed by a five-year-old. Even if you only want to accomplish the minimum in Amazing Mirror, you still need to really think to solve puzzles and access blacked-out areas of your map.

The 4-player co-op experience was a bold new addition to the series at this point (unless you count Crystal Shards' minigames) and is a blast even in spite of a hiccup here and there. Up to four Game Boy Advance or DS systems can be connected and play as part of the adventure. This helps you cover more ground than you would alone, as unlike other co-op Nintendo platform games, having your own screen means you can split up wherever you want and are not required to all stay within close proximity. This is a godsend that somehow dwarfs many Nintendo-co-op experiences a decade later. The cell phone system lets you teleport everyone to one location if you wish, which is especially useful for boss fights. A battery will show on your screen indicating how far you are in the maze from the other players. Perhaps ironically, however, the lower your battery icon gets, the more lag and slowdown you encounter. It's an unfortunate side effect of a co-op experience perhaps too ambitious for the hardware it is running on. Visually, this is one of the more pleasing Game Boy Advance titles, while the music is a catchy mix of both new and familiar Kirby tunes.

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is now one of my favorite Kirby games. It takes the generally simplistic nature of Kirby platform games and throws it into a giant, seamless world, turning simple beat-em-up challenges into obsessive exploring. Uncovering everything requires you to fully immerse yourself in the world and learn what path leads where, and even simply defeating each boss and moving on to the next area is reasonably challenging. The music and visuals are vibrant and charming too. The multiplayer is a blast and gives your group lots of freedom, even with the framerate issues. And of course, the standard Kirby elements like sucking everything up and wreaking havoc are as fun as ever. Plus, without the need for those godforsaken cables anymore, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror shines even more brightly now that Nintendo has long given up the connectivity ghost. But at least it left this gem behind.

Final Score: 9/10
Quoting a review I posted somewhere else on the boards.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Not quite the most recent game I finished (finished it last week) but I'll have to give Mario Party 3 fairly high marks and I'll make this short.

What I liked:
  • Loved the boards, especially Waluigi's Island.
  • Duel Mode was a nice touch.
  • Merry-Go-Chomp
  • Rare items such as the Wacky Watch or the Koopa Bank Card
  • Daisy being playable

What I didn't care for:
  • Most item mini-games
  • Duel Game called Fowl Play

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Dark Souls 3 (DS3) is a great dark fantasy adventuring experience. The visuals are beautiful, however often dark as is the theme of the game. It doesn't hold players' hand and doesn't cram exposition down their throats. You're thrown into a dying world with little guidance. Merely a vague mission to return the lords of cinder to their thrones so the fire that lights the world can be rekindled. This leads to a desperate struggle through the kingdom of Lothric and others if you have the DLCs. The game is very trial and error based as the odds are stacked against you with hoards of enemies and powerful bosses. You must play smart to survive.

The good:
DS3 has beautiful graphics in a realistic style. The single player campaign is lengthy with a great deal of replayability from alternate endings, NPC interactions, and different character builds. Enemies are unique and rarely feature reskins or color variations posing as new enemies. You can obtain the armor and weapons humanoid enemies use for yourself. Each environment is packed with lore and detail that gives a sense of wonder to the harsh world. Although dark, nothing in DS3 is an eyesore.
You have a lot of freedom in how your character develops with 3 classes of spell casters and twenty other types of weapons each with variations of move sets. Managing the complicated item and stat systems can be challenging to new players but ultimately allow hundreds of ways to play. The spells and combat aren't flashy yet make you feel powerful in a fantasy sort of way.
The game seems hopelessly difficult at first but you soon learn enemy patterns and positions through trial and error. With enough practice you'll be able to impressively tear down heavily armored foes and the toughest of bosses. If you struggle you can summon a friend to help.
While Player vs Player (PvP) has balancing issues it can help new players overcome the difficult levels and bosses without being stuck for hours. Helping other players is fun and can be very rewarding. The undead matches added in the DLCs are a saving grace for pure PvP battling. You can also trade weapons and items online.

The bad:
While DS3 is a beautiful game, it's not particularly innovative. You'll fight through the standard dungeon buster areas of castles, catacombs and some wooded outdoor settings. And swamps, lots of swamps.
Most enemies end up being humanoid of varying levels of armor and several bosses are big humans or a mob. These can still be fun but I would have preferred more beasts. There are some demons and dragons to slay fortunately.
The lore is fun to discover but ultimately convoluted with large holes. You have to accept random time travel and other deus ex machina. It helps to think of the game more as a myth or legend than rational story.
The complicated customization system isn't without flaws. Dark spells scale off intelligence and faith making you waste stats as a pure sorcerer or cleric, respectively. Casters need attunement to gain spell slots and FP, the games version of MP, and dexterity to improve casting speed, meaning you'll either wast stat points or a ring slot on lower level builds. Casters are further tied by specific armor, ring and catalyst setups being required to have spell damage that justifies the consumed FP. The end results is highly specific glass canon setups. Juggling weapons, catalysts and consumables can get overly complicated, especially if you have spells in the mix. You can't buffer scrolling through equipment and sometimes this drops inputs done too early.
PvP is poorly balanced, suffers significantly from lag and inconvenient. Deceptively large hitboxes are made even worse by lag that increases with more players. The game is balanced around single player gameplay so several players teamed up in a "gank" can destroy enemies and most bosses. Players can invade other players' "worlds" but are frequently forced to fight ganks of 3 or more. Conversely, players trying to get through the game are forced to summon other players to help or risk getting ganked themselves. The lag often makes what should be precision dueling a spamfest. Parries can lead to instant kills and need to be spammed in lag to hit. You end up playing incredibly cheap no matter who you are with hosts summoning and resummoning ganks and invaders hiding in hoards of enemies while taking opportunistic shots. Fortunately, as stated earlier undead matches help fill the PvP void with fair setups. You can't trade spells or boss souls and can't simply give equipment to a different game file. You need another person to trade back and forth.

The verdict:
DS3 is a fantastic, challenging single player experience. A must buy if you like dark adventuring games. The multiplayer still adds some fun and extra playtime. Don't expect PvP to be a good competitive medium or justify the cost. It's a good way to wrap up the Dark Souls series. Overall I give DS3 an 8 out of 10.

Last edited:

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I had a taste of Mario Party 2 many times in the past. Afraid the rating won't be as high as Mario Party 3 or later. Most minigames were recycled from the first, not that many characters to choose from, and there are some minigames I cannot stand though I shan't go into specifics. But the designs of the boards and the debut of duel and battle games is what got me playing. And don't get me started on Bowser Land...

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Invizimals 1 for the Sony PSP... This game is one of my favorites for the system, but not when put together and compared to games like Pokemon or Yokai Watch. For a general overview, invizimals are "Invizible Animals" as the game puts it (even though they're clearly monsters, but some do have good designs) and you may see them only with your PSP, a certain card, and it's camera attachment that is required to even play, in other words: Using AR (Augmented Reality). You have to find a certain color and when it activates, you aim the camera on the card and find an invizimal in which then you have to play a minigame to capture it. There are also mutant invizimals that are just like shiny pokemon in a sense, but much easier to come by. Of course you may battle, but just like capturing, you'll need the card and the camera. The battles I think are better (kind of) than pokemon. you do have button commands on screen and can use items to damage your opponent or heal your invizimal. Every invizimal has a weakness and strength, but not in a sense like pokemon. While the game may be good, if you beat the story, then that's it. your only other objective is to collect all invizimals and elemental dragons, if that's done, you're done. You've done everything. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
123 Invizimals to capture
Good visuals for models on psp through camera.
Like pokemon, very simple to get into the story

Cons:
You cannot name your captured Invizimals (like if you capture a second ironbug, it's name is forever stuck as Ironbug 2, or Ironbug 13 if you catch that many)
You may no longer get 2 special invizimals without a second person thanks to PSN discontinued their service on the PSP, so you must resort to local play
Unlike Pokemon, the story towards the middle and end does not get any better.
The fact you have to catch a certain invizimal at certain times, like if you want to catch a Beatwidow, sorry! you have to wait 28 Minutes!
The game after a while can get boring. It's mainly single player, the only multiplayer thing you can do is battle and trade invizimals.
Some of the music does not sound appealing, only 3 songs sound good to me. Like this one
The camera and card do not work well in the dark, but not too light either. Dark places (or night) or outdoors not reccomended. Stay in well-lit or shaded places to play.
The typings and their weaknesses are confusing. You can't punch a rock or yell at water (water types) for attacks.

The sequel does fix things up I must say, but that review is when I finish that game soon enough. Overall, I wouldn't recommend unless you are a big Playstation (or PSP) fan. Sorry I made this too long and go too much in detail here, but it is how I feel like reviewing the games in a short way where people understand.

Edit: I forgot a rating, I rate it 7/10

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Until Dawn

8.5/10

Pros:
  • Interesting characters.
  • Choices matter a lot.
  • The visuals/facial expressions are really great.
  • Tons of possible death scenes. It's possible to have everyone survive the game or no one at all.
  • Lots of collectibles.
Cons:
  • Most of the scares are just jump-scares.
  • A few of the choices don't matter at all (specifically the one regarding who gets killed from the buzzsaw).

Another fun choice-related game that was free on PS Plus. This and Life is Strange show how far behind TellTale is in making enjoyable point-and-click games.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Final Fantasy X
9.5/10

Pros:
  • Story is amazing with an great ending
  • Great cast of characters
  • Sphere Grid is an interesting way to make the characters stronger. I really enjoyed that.
  • CGI cutscenes look beautiful and realistic
  • Soundtrack is great
  • The puzzles in the Cloister of Trials at each of the main temples were fun
Cons
  • Weapon customization was something I've neglected throughout the whole playthrough, though I wasn't very fond of it
  • The blitzball sports game is confusing, specifically the math part
  • Getting ambushed by the dark version of each of Yuna's aeons and instantly killing us while I was doing some backtracking was no fun at all considering how ridiculously strong they are.
An amazing game but nowhere near the same level of amazing as VI and VII but I had a blast with it. Plan to play the sequel X-2 soon but chances are I won't be able to play it much.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Pros:

+++ Collecting Digimons is fun and addicting
+++ The gameplay is fun and simple, quite similar to Pokemon.
+++ The game is long
+++ You can have plenty of Digimon on your team, which makes deciding your team easier.
++ Some of the characters are quite interesting.
++ The game is quite challenging
++ Majority of the Digimon from first anime season were included to the game, and a lot of Digimon from second and third seasons were included, as well
Cons:
--- Dungeon designs and music are quite bland. I wish there was more variety.
-- Eater battles are a bit unbalanced. Due their high defences, they can be either frustratingly long or ridiculously easy, depending on whether you have piercing (defence-ignoring) attacks or not.
- Some of the characters are generic anime stereotypes.
- Final boss battle was really disappointing

9/10 It quickly became one of my favorite games of all-time.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Inviziamls Shadow Zone. This game is very similar to the first game that i reviewed just a few posts up. But i'll keep this review short because it's a bit too similar.

Pros:

• Adds many new invizimals to capture. Many of them are more creative than the last game. Up to 132 different invizimal types to capture
  • The mutant invizimals mechanic expanded from the last game. You may now customise your invizimal's color.
  • You may now give your invizimal nicknames. whereas the last game would place a number after the name for how many you've obtained.
  • The music sounds well done. the battle music for each theme and area sounds better and fits more
  • The new ranking system feels like you are a part of something and allows you to feel good unlocking better items as you progress.
  • A big change from the first game is the ability to change the background color of the menu. However you may choose only 6 colors.
  • The mechanic that lets you catch invizimals at certain times is now gone. Catch them whenever you want!
Cons:
  • About the mutant system: You have to go through a series of battles to obtain the ability to change your invizimal's color. This is a very lengthy process.
  • The mutant system has a secret where if you pick a specific color combination you will get 2 things: 1 stat point to give & a blue nametag instead of green. This is a con because of all the combinations you can choose from, it has to be the EXACT certain colors.
  • There are 13 invizimals that cannot be obtained without multiplayer. Since online play has been shut down on the PSP, you're forced to do it local, meaning find a friend with a psp and a copy of the game, or purchase both. 9 invizimals are unobtainable from the start of the game. to get them, you must trade invizimals from another copy of the game over to you.
  • You cannot transfer invizimals from the first game over to shadow zone. Almost every single invizimal from the first game is gone and replaced with invizimals that look more creative.
  • The same card problems as the first game, but it seems more sensitive and harder to use in places too dark or too light.
Invizimals Shadow zone is a game I would recommend for a original Playstation title for playstation fans. There are more games in the series, but after the PSP trilogy, I never bothered. I won't review the third game on here, as there are some downgrades in that from here, but adds some new mechanics too. I give this game a 8/10, one rank above my old review because it fixes many of the first game's flaws, but it's still not perfect.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
A Story About My Uncle (Steam)
6/10

Overall it's decent. I really like the idea, it was fun. It's basically a first person adventure/platformer where you have a biotic arm (think NES's gaming arm or whatever it was) that has a tether that can attach to solid surfaces, so you zip around at high speed to advance through the game. That part, was really fun. It's just cool to go around really fast and "fly" between floating islands and whatnot, but my main gripe with it is that it felt clunky. Sometimes you'll tether to a rock and get stuck under it so you can't get up, and other times you find yourself just a hair distance away from being able to tether but you're still too far.

Wouldn't recommend unless its going for cheap enough and you're that bored. It's also pretty short, I finished it in one sitting with 2 hours.

Rizen

Smash Legend
LOZ Breath of the Wild DLC review.

There is a new dungeon on the horizon so i can only review what has been released in the trials of the sword dlc so far. Minor gameplay spoilers, btw. Several new equipment quest were added that give you nostalgic armor. These felt more like busy work than quests and most of the armor had the same effects as armor already in the game with worse defense. 2 items were useful; the korok mask alerts you to near by hiding koroks and Majora's mask disguises Link as if he was wearing all the monster masks and luminous armor at once. This is great if you want to run around without annoying monsters bothering you. A new map feature shows your path up to 100 hours through the game and is helpful for finding shrines and koroks you missed.

A 'cave of ordeals' challenge lets you eventually upgrade the master sword to never run low on energy and always have 60 attack, better than base savage lynal swords. You fight through 3 separate gauntlets of 15-20somethuing floors each with unique sets of terrain and enemies. You only can use what you find within but get a break to cook and gather some supplies every 6 floors. This is the most fun version of the 'pit of trials' i've seen. It takes good strategy and some trial and error to make it out in one piece.

After you complete all that you can try the game over in 'master mode' without losing your current normal saves.

Because a new dungeon will be included later, the DLC is most likely worth the money. Especially for a game as big as BotW. They missed some cool opportunities for useful armors, gloves that don't slide in the rain would have been great :(, but what you get adds some play time and useful features. If you like the main game go for it.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Sonic Mania

9/10

Pros:
+ Great gameplay.
+ Nice callbacks to the franchise (my favorite is the Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 boss).
+ Retro levels with new spins on them was a great idea.
+ Soundtrack and graphics are amazing (Press Garden Act 1 is my favorite of the new themes).
+ Bosses were surprisingly tough.

Cons:
- Both of the Titanic Monarch acts take forever to finish and are easily my least favorite levels in the game.
- Wish there was maybe one more new world to make up for 8 of the levels being based on ones from other games.
- Essentially all of the extras have to be unlocked through the bonus blue orb mini-game (wish it were based on time trials or something else).

Overall, best Sonic game in a long time.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I tend to bring a few obscure games to light when wanting to rate them here. This one is semi-obscure though... the fan-made Toontown Rewritten... For those out there who know nothing about this, it is a fan-made revival of the old popular MMO Disney game that shut down in 2013. It's for those who want to experience the popular Disney game that shut down in favor for their Club Penguin at the time, and those who want to re-experience the game they might miss playing throughout their childhood. For one, It's VERY impressive to see a group of fans work together to run an online game, most of them only using their own free time, funds, and resources. How well does it hold up for the game? Let's see:
Pros:

• Lots of activities to do, lots of collectibles and player customization, With 11 toon species to choose from (2 of them are the all-new and recent Deer and Crocodile species)
  • Well balanced battle system, it mostly feels fair with gag(weapon) carry limits and damage outputs.
  • Allows up to 6 Toon characters to be created per account
  • Every toon can be unique in a sense and always have a choice of what gags to choose throughout the game, leaving you with only 6 of the 7 available gags, earning exp for gags used in a battle rather than stat raising to upgrade damage.
  • Good Laff(health) system, in which you do both tasks and activities to increase your Laff, challenging but interesting for those completionits out there.
  • Beans (currency) are the most simple thing to obtain. Needed for purchasing more gags and clothing/speech/animation options for your toon.
  • Features that greatly improve over the original like 2x EXP within the enemy cog hq and more freedom with there being no restriction to purchase a membership from Disney, the game is entirely free
  • Extra rewards to use in battle for defeating Cog bosses (VP, CFO, CJ, & CEO) in their own HQ, some are worth it.
  • Just one area is re-designed and looks great over the original.
Cons:
  • This game is an MMO, it's possible to play alone, but about 88% of the game requires another person or 3+ people
  • Leveling up certain gags takes longer than it needs to when reaching level 6-7 gags.
  • 2 of your 6 out of 7 possible gags are permanent from the beginning game, every player is stuck with it.
  • Sometimes you are judged/handicapped by other players for your level of gags, or not choosing one of the tracks.
  • Once you complete everything, there is nothing but bragging rights and a hard-worked powerful toon to be obtained.
  • upload_2017-9-6_23-39-19.png
  • The game crashes a lot at certain points. You'll definitely crash on Mac if you turn music and SFX on. So on Mac only, you must play in pure silence in order to not crash.

Would I recommend this? Yes if you like MMOs or some strategy, there can be something to be liked here. If you are interested, I hope you might enjoy. I give this a 7/10.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Metroid Zero Mission

This is actually the first Metroid game I've ever played to completion.

+ The definitive way to play the first Metroid.
+ Chozo statues that tell you where to go but let you figure out how to get there. Satiating both types of players.
- Quite a few times I got stuck with no way of knowing where I was supposed to go.
+/- The actual Zero Suit Mission is bit too short and under developed. Real Talk I wanna see an entire game in the Zero Suit with proper growth because I did like the stealth aspects.

4/5

Now should I jump into next, the Prime trilogy or Samus Returns on 3DS?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Metroid Zero Mission

This is actually the first Metroid game I've ever played to completion.

+ The definitive way to play the first Metroid.
+ Chozo statues that tell you where to go but let you figure out how to get there. Satiating both types of players.
- Quite a few times I got stuck with no way of knowing where I was supposed to go.
+/- The actual Zero Suit Mission is bit too short and under developed. Real Talk I wanna see an entire game in the Zero Suit with proper growth because I did like the stealth aspects.

4/5

Now should I jump into next, the Prime trilogy or Samus Returns on 3DS?
If you liked the stealth parts you should try Metroid Fusion for GBA.

カワシ隊長

Smash Rookie
Yakuza 6 - 9/10

-Negatives: The story is long, but afterwards, upon clearing it, there isn't much to do that is engaging beyond collecting all trophies and doing the side story (桐生会- basically where you own your own Yakuza family). Nevertheless one of the best games I'ce played

McChicken

Smash Rookie
That would be a 9/10 for breath of the wild. I will never give anything a perfect rating, but this game is really close. It has some flaws, but it's still probably the best open world game in recent history.

It's really great

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Cave Story Plus (Switch version): 7/10

The gameplay is fantastic, and so much smoother on the Switch. Character designs are great, and while it's more linear than I expected, it still has a good deal of replay value.

My main complaints would be that unlocking things like the true ending and Curly Mode are insanely unintuitive and (in one case) go against a player's basic instincts when playing a game (though my version of the game was used, so it didn't come with the manual that hints at the true ending), and the game has a gargantuan difficulty spike at the end, regardless of whether you're going for the normal ending or the true ending.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
A Hat in Time

9.3/10

Pros:
  • Great controls and gameplay.
  • Very colorful.
  • Fairly challenging.
  • Humorous voice-acting and dialogue.
  • Lots of collectibles and secrets.
  • 2 free DLC worlds coming soon.
Cons:
  • The climax was very disappointing and I was actually rooting for the bad guy (more details on this in the spoiler tag below). I know I shouldn't care too much since this isn't really a story-driven game, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.
  • The hookshot and camera didn't need to be equippable badges.
  • 1 of the "5 massive worlds" is just the last level where you reach the final boss. No exploration and little collectibles. Thankfully we're still getting 2 more worlds for free.
So the mustache girl wanted to get rid of all the evil Mafia and the other villains. I was honestly hoping there would be an option to just join the mustache girl because the people who are against her tried to kill me and were telling her to get lost. Then after the fight, the game gives you an option to give the mustache girl a timepiece so she can still beat the mafia anyway. It's like having a Zelda game where you and every enemy in the game have to team up to defeat Zelda because she hates bad guys, then you give Zelda an item to beat the villains.

-----

I heard about this game when it was in development many years ago and decided to pick it up since it just released. It's the closest thing to a Mario Sunshine sequel and easily the best 3D platformer indie game I've ever played.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend

Dragon Quest Builders (DQB) for the PS4 is an all around fun game. It combines Minecraft style crafting and building with light RPG and tower defense elements. The story isn't great but character interactions and frequent twists keep you interested the whole game through. You play as the legendary builder in a world where the evil Dragon Lord has stolen mankind's power to create! Thrilling. You must protect and rebuild your base city and explore four different lands in four chapters of progressive difficulty. Along the way you'll rescue people, battle monsters and find materials to craft with.

The main campaign is lengthy with big areas and challenges to go back and complete after beating each chapter. There's also a freeplay mode if you want to build without monsters attacking your city. The music's nice and graphics are smooth and pretty, even in a world composed of cubes. There is a good variety of enemies and items too.

The downsides are you don't have an open world and have to use teleportals to progress to later areas. This keeps the chapters linear. Citizens of your city will send you on busywork quests and ask you to build rooms with specific layouts that can require you to tear down parts of your city to make room. These stifle creativity and are required to further the plot. Still it's fun to build and collect. Specific rooms give you bonuses like faster HP regen or more durable equipment. You have a hunger meter that can be a nuisance to keep full early in a chapter before you have a good setup. Another annoyance is your weapons have very short reach and you take some contact damage from touching monsters.

All in all, DQB is a fun game that will hook you and keep you coming back for more. It's appropriate for kids yet interesting enough for adults. DQB isn't hard and has little penalty for dying. It's more about exploring and building.

I give DQB an 8 out of 10.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Fire Emblem Birthright

9/10

First Fire Emblem game I've played from start to finish and I absolutely loved it.

Pros:
  • Great gameplay.
  • Lots of unique characters to use and tons of possible team combinations.
  • Lots of sidequests/activities to do.
  • Option to turn permadeath off.
  • The castle hub was nice.
Cons:
  • Ryoma was very overpowered. I beat the last few chapters using no one but him since he'd oneshot/dodge everything.
  • Some maps could've been designed better (specifically chapter 26 which you can beat in two turns).
  • The whole subplot of there being a traitor in the group was very anti-climatic.
  • A few story moments were sort of silly (specifically the end of chapter 17, which I couldn't help but laugh at for some reason). Xander was also badly written.

Overall I had a great time with Birthright. Can't wait to try out Conquest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom