• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my yoshi

Cardd

Smash Cadet
I havent been on the boards since july.
But i recently picked up yoshi about three weeks ago, and id like to know how i'm doing.

I haven't learned any AT's yet, but i browsed a lil bit just now and i heard about DR'ing? idk what it is, but i watched a video and it seems a bit unnessecary to me. Don't flame me cause, i don't know, just saying first impression.

Anyway, tips would be cool.

i was a little bit off my game, but this should be pretty close to my current skill level.

(I started yoshi b/c he beats the best MK i've ever seen, and he flowed very well, now he is definitly at least a third, if not my second.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIGmTPFMsoE

thx.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I stopped at 00.39. Watch some vids of the Yoshi mains.

Chaco

Never Logs In
thx for the advice.

and as for the bair, i kind of disagree. Why do u think it is the best and in which situations?
Best approach, negates projectiles, and ****ing owns.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
thx for the advice.

and as for the bair, i kind of disagree. Why do u think it is the best and in which situations?
As Chaco stated, bair is Yoshi's best approach. It has good range and hits multiple times. You can also space with bair, because you can control Yoshi in the air while he's doing the move. With dash attack and dash grab, on the other hand, once you commit to the move, you can't do anything until the move is finished.

Other comments/suggestions:

- The pivot grab is your friend. It's a good counter to people's approaches, and is the best way to lead into Yoshi's grab-release awesomeness (which depends on the opposing character, of course).
- I'd avoid using dash attack when the opponent is at low percentages. It won't push the opponent far enough away (unless he's on the edge), and you'll get punished, like you did at 2:42.
- Be careful with your rolls. Yoshi has a terrible shield roll, so rolling behind opponents is much riskier than with just about any other character.
- You had a really nice egg lay at 1:56, when Link was coming back to the stage. Similarly, it looked like you had ideal spacing for an egg lay at 2:35. At worst, since egg lay has the same properties as a grab, you would have just taken the damage from his fsmash, but received no knockback and survived.
- The double egg toss followed by the spike ftw was awesome.

Cardd

Smash Cadet
As Chaco stated, bair is Yoshi's best approach. It has good range and hits multiple times. You can also space with bair, because you can control Yoshi in the air while he's doing the move. With dash attack and dash grab, on the other hand, once you commit to the move, you can't do anything until the move is finished.

Other comments/suggestions:

- The pivot grab is your friend. It's a good counter to people's approaches, and is the best way to lead into Yoshi's grab-release awesomeness (which depends on the opposing character, of course).
- I'd avoid using dash attack when the opponent is at low percentages. It won't push the opponent far enough away (unless he's on the edge), and you'll get punished, like you did at 2:42.
- Be careful with your rolls. Yoshi has a terrible shield roll, so rolling behind opponents is much riskier than with just about any other character.
- You had a really nice egg lay at 1:56, when Link was coming back to the stage. Similarly, it looked like you had ideal spacing for an egg lay at 2:35. At worst, since egg lay has the same properties as a grab, you would have just taken the damage from his fsmash, but received no knockback and survived.
- The double egg toss followed by the spike ftw was awesome.

thats the kinda stuff i was looking for. thx.

and yeah that spike was satisfying.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
you should egg toss slide and ECE more. Turn tap jump off , jump and throw an egg to gain some distance while throwing some eggs. It's really good for spacing. ECE is when you are on the edge and throw an egg and DI towards the edge after you throw the egg. you can do this 4-5 times. But don't use it every time.

you should also play better opponents. When asking for a critique, it is better to show a match of you losing rather than you winning. It's pointless to show you winning.

Jay Dubbs

Smash Rookie
Also the bair is good for combos. You can bair to up tilt or forward tilt or even upsmash. Or if you bair your opponent in the air, you can follow it up with a uair.

Chaco

Never Logs In
But orion says yossy has teh usmash and pivot grab and its unbeatable for jiggs! He said it there for it must be truez!
Seriously, it's over. So really just shut up about it. And as he states NO ONE refuted his points.

Metatitan

Smash Master
it got to the point where both sides didn't believe a word the other was saying so there's no way anyone COULD have refuted his points

Chaco

Never Logs In

Cardd

Smash Cadet
you should also play better opponents. When asking for a critique, it is better to show a match of you losing rather than you winning. It's pointless to show you winning.
i know, but the video was for him more then me actually, and i decided, "Hey why not use this video for me too."I'm gonna upload one vs MK proly tomarow.

i also would like to say i know what u guys mean about the bair now. It deserves more attention then i have been giving it.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Trolls are annoying as hell.

Not in our match up disucssion everything just goes back to the same basic points.

...that's just stupid.
Not really. If you read the thread (which i dont advise since nothing really got accomplished) you'll see examples such as rising pound being able to avoid pivot grab and punish, which it can (although not heavily reliable). None of the yoshies believed that until scat tested it. theres just one example... i dont really feel like going back to that thread to find more

Top Bottom