• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

rate my sonic

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dIAZEJArbW8

things that i realize:
- my sonic might be very different because i don't watch any videos
- i tend to figure things out on my own, i am a creative player
- therefore, i need tips from very experienced sonic players on what to do and what not to do
- big flukes on 2nd and 3rd stocks, too good

even if you suggest things to me, i will take in what's useful and ignore what's useless. thanks for watching!

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dIAZEJArbW8

things that i realize:
- my sonic might be very different because i don't watch any videos
- i tend to figure things out on my own, i am a creative player
- therefore, i need tips from very experienced sonic players on what to do and what not to do
- big flukes on 2nd and 3rd stocks, too good

even if you suggest things to me, i will take in what's useful and ignore what's useless. thanks for watching!
That meteor smash was well placed and deserved.

I left a comment it's not as deep as I wanna go cause I'm due to school in five minutes..-_-

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
The first stock you did quite well. You were spacing well with ftilt and keeping the pressure on. Killer DI too. The only real thing I didn't like was that you had bad timing on your one fair. Start the fair on the jump up and don't fast fall and you'll avoid that floppy afterlag.

The other two stocks you just got reckless.

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
Your sonic plays a lot like my sonic. Meaning you do great to start and even get ahead of them by about 70%-1stock. That's great.

but then you start thinking about the win right?

Don't. It's like American football. Don't think about the touchdown before you catch the pass. Or don't think about the glory of the goal before you make the shot. Don't think about winning until you actually win.

I know it's hard. I still have yet to break that habit, and it costs me several wins, but that's just my 2 cents.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Gstainc said:
This is Gangsta_inc from smashboards.

Your Sonic is pretty decent just make sure that you get grabs in your game at some point.

Grabs are a hedgehog's best friend

And don't be afraid to gimp double fair works best here because of the support ghost.

NEVER attack Rob from below as you've seen.

Try to B-air him. bair is your buddy.
from a Youtube comment.

Actually, it's weird - Mario and C. Falcons will try to play vs ROB using u-airs, because d-air is one of his slower moves, so if you get him in a juggle, he's kinda vulnerable. Off-stage, you don't want to be under him though, it's too lethal if you screw up a meteor cancel.

If you do get under him like that and you suspect it coming, you could try using up-B - the invincibility frames from it would have kept you safe.

If you have to use a spindash/spincharge, start it a little closer to the opponent, since it gives them less time to react to it.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Good space control, managing to get inside your opponent then push them away/get away from them. You could've mixed your dash attacks with grabs or shield cancelled spin dashes. Definately needed a few more Spin combos/other variants of spin combos.

I don't really like that stage, it messes up autocancels and the platform is annoying.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I think you should remember to use homing attack on ROB's back. He has terrible back defense and the homing attack comes in at an ideal angle.

Also, you kept your d-smash fresh but never used it. It's one of Sonic's faster kill moves (albeit short ranged) so you should remember to use it once in a while.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
from a Youtube comment.

Actually, it's weird - Mario and C. Falcons will try to play vs ROB using u-airs, because d-air is one of his slower moves, so if you get him in a juggle, he's kinda vulnerable. Off-stage, you don't want to be under him though, it's too lethal if you screw up a meteor cancel.

If you do get under him like that and you suspect it coming, you could try using up-B - the invincibility frames from it would have kept you safe.

If you have to use a spindash/spincharge, start it a little closer to the opponent, since it gives them less time to react to it.
I'm just an overly cautious Sonic player I guess ^_^ at least when I'm off the stage and my enemy has the upper hand.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Definitely get some grabs in there. They'll rack up more damage than reckless dash attacks. Dash attacks at the ledge of the stage lead to utilts most of the time. Utilts are good. It looked like you were trying to play off the stage, but just choosing the wrong attacks. You aren't going to knock R.O.B off, and kill him by grabbing the edge. Nair isn't a good choice that low off the side, since the move stays out longer, than say his bair. Maybe go for some bair's into the stage when he's offstage. That level is annoying when it comes to playing off the stage though.

ReiGun

Smash Cadet
Not much I can add at this point, but I'll just echo most others and say add in some grabs. Also, I would suggest adding in some more spin dashes and spin charges to mix things up. You did really good on the first stock. Just dont get too reckless.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah thanks. recklessness is usually my downfall, i do it a lot because i have a very gutsy sheik as my main so i need to know what NOT to do and when.

so the basic idea that i'm getting is...
- mix it up with grabs
- mix it up with spin dashes, and spin charges
- not too much recklessness
- better timing when i use fair
- don't edgeguard recklessly on rob

thanks everyone i'll work on it

unfortunately i don't own a wii

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Haha I know you from the IC boards. Glad to see you have an interest in Sonic. Everyone summed it up I guess. Just remember Side B has some invincibility frames, so you should definitely use that. I suggest you look around the boards, especially the stickies. It will help alot.

Top Bottom