• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my marth (videos inside)

madiaz3

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojIxYC3Gs9s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71UJyj6iLLw

My main concern is my lack of edgeguarding.

What's the most common and effective edgeguard with marth? I'm talking off the stage.

I've seen.

Fair spamming someone off the stage, jumping out to fair him once, back drop bairs, jump counter.

I also don't know basic setups I don't know if Marth's grab does combo into a tippered fsmash at X% or not, etc.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
I'm no Marth expert but I see a ton of fair's and neutralB's. I'd avoid neutralB or at least don't use it as often, it's one of Marth's most easily punished attacks. Besides that, try a bair every once in a while. Helps eliminate decay of your fairs and is rather quick.

madiaz3

Smash Apprentice
The use of neutral b's happen to be a unique part of my marth which I enjoy. Though it's not there, I've broken more shields than you can imagine off very good players, mostly because they don't see it much.

I'm looking more for setups and edgeguarding advice.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Only real edgeguard I've adopted with marth is a dash off the edge, smashDI to edgehog. Assuming they can attack or have another jump left, fall off the ledge, jump and bair. Though Marth is my secondary, you may want to wait until people who main Marth start giving advice =S

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
A couple tips that I think should help, that I learned from others:

1. Although you use the neutral b fairly well, don't use it so much. There are more reliable moves, such as sh fair (see below).

2. Abuse sh fair, it is one of Marth's best moves.

3. Also, throw in a nair every once in a while. It may catch your opponent off-guard, and the second hit has amazing knockback.

4. Like the above posters said, fairs off the edge is a great edgeguarding technique and is what most Marths use.

5. Keep using side b, it's a great move and has an almost lagless start-up. Use the down combo to rack up damage, and the normal or up combo to finish off opponents at high percents. I have actually killed with the up combo.

6. Grab more, especially shield grab. If you know an attack from an opponent is coming, shield it and then grab them.

Hope that helps some! :)

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I'll just make a list of suggestions
1) Try not to use the shieldbreaker to recover unless you are really high up
2) Use the combo (dancing blade) more in general and when your enemy dodges
3) Mix up your short hop attacks (use dancing blade, shieldbreaker, and n-air
4) Don't d-air unless you are spiking someone
5) Spiking for marth is edgeguarding, I have posted a lot about the technique for this but i will summarize. Dash to edge, smash joystick backwards to turn around, hop off ledge and aim for opponents head, dunk him to death w/ d-air, use 2nd jump and up+b to recover. Hit the person with the tip of the back end of the swing (pretty much the area that the slash creates to the left or right of marth depending on where your back is.
6) Counter in the air when your opponent jumps at you

Other than that, i like your style. Stick with the shieldbreaker thing, but be carefull.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Not a bad marth.. i main him as well at the current moment and are still working out some kinks.. but i think there may be some advice i can pass along.

Some threads that contain my Marth and my friend Shrink's Marth. We both play him a lot and its fun just to watch and maybe pick up on some things.

First thread is our marth ditto and a few random vids, Second is our crew's thread EBs.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163862
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160837

I recently started using the neutral B for some attack switch ups. Use it very sparingly... can easily kill later on if you don't abuse it early. Dancing blade is a savior in Marth dittos and MK also.

Some things i saw that can be worked on is what they call an airwalk. Its when you run one direction, jump, then Bair with C-stick and keep the joystick the original direction. It helps you gain momentum and chase those you hit off the stage. It helps set you up for a spike with Dair.. or if you abuse the Fair and haven't Bair'd yet... gives you an open look for a fresh Bair. Shrink loves to airwalk and really uses it effectively.. learn from him.

Dtilt is awesome for setting up Fairs and Nairs. Use it. ^B out of shield can kill at higher percentages... need to work on that... as do i .. i just don't remember to do it.

One of my favorite approaches is to Fair, then scrape a Uair. This is when you time the move so that the animation doesn't finish before you hit the ground.. auto-lag cancelling. From the scraped Uair you can go into any other move.. i prefer Utilt cuz it opens up more combos. You should see me use it in the videos.

Overall... nice marth.. just needs some touchups in some places.. but so does mine.... Props

-FireWulf

Exile724

Smash Cadet
Which marth is you? I see player 1 and player 2 but no names to indicate that, if I am missing something on this then let me know.

madiaz3

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm I don't know how that kirby video snuck in there, but I haven;'t used SB in a long time my alias and ingame name is marv and I'm always the white marth.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
hey dude, I'll be glad to give you some pointers and general impressions from your 2 vids:

Pros:
VERY cool how you use neutral B. Your unique like that. Keep the inspiration comin
solid knowledge of how to play well is obvious
nice ground work

Cons/need to improve:
DONT FSMASH so much
more airial work needed (stop spamming fairs)
spacing
use UpB out of shield (in place of shield grab. kinda like a 2nd option)
GRAB!!!! where's your grabs? shield grab

overall good marth. Keep practicing :p

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
Tips that I can give after watching the "vs Wolf" video.

1. Do NOT roll INTO his attacks.

2. You're getting the fair approach down but work on it some more, work on your timing/spacing.

3. Do not use the up combo with the side b when they are at low percents, do the down combo (the multiple jabs) to rack up damage. Use the up combo when they are at high percents to get them into the air.

nicksaninja

Smash Rookie
I give you a 7/10. You try to charge neutral B too much. Just a quick strike would be better. The best thing you do is timing your meteor smash or spike or whatever it is now. Also, you almost totally ignore the B down attack. In my opinion, thats his best move. But you need to learn to time it right, especcially when coming out of the air. Lastly, you use too many smash attacks. Go for faster strikes with the tip of your sword. Marth isn't a heavy hitter, he's a quicker one.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
Pretty good Marth. Now I'm probably not the best guy to give advice on Marth (learning him myself). But you should learn how to use >b for recovery. If you only do the first slash you get a small horizontal boost. That boost might have been able to save you from losing a stock a few times. I like how you are unique with the shield breaker. Good Marth overall.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Actually the boost is vertical from dancing blade, you just need to do it at the top of your jump. I think your neutral b attack strategy is fine if you can handle the lag punishment. Dancing blade is a good way to pull MK out of his shield or dodge if used correctly and also gives you another attack out of your short hops. I also think you should learn the ways of the counter. Confucious say "if in air, good idea is counter". They jump towards you in the air, pull out a counter since you can't be grabbed.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Pretty good! Like what the people above said, you use Neutral B a bit too much. I prefer to stick to Marth's F-air a lot (rather than my ground game). Another suggestion would be to make more use of Marth's ridiculous grab. Otherwise, keep up the good work!

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Why don't you mix up your short hop attacks? Short hop fair (x2) and nair were there but short hop fair then dancing blade/ shieldbreaker. By the way, have you added me yet? I wanna make a better video to post online.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
I like your use of the shieldbreaker. It's just not safe to shorthop it into your opponent. Work on spacing it better.

Other than that, you're playing a mean Marth. Keep it up!

madiaz3

Smash Apprentice
lol one last bump before i abandon this topic forever

ive been going to nyc weeklies and they really help more than anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyNoKs57v1U

heres one interesting semi laggy online match. next time i post a video it should be a local at a tourney maybe!?

∫unk

Smash Master
You play a fine Marth. Against faster characters (aka Metaknight) you can't use so many smashes and will have to replace them with dancing blade, but the videos I saw were all against slower characters so you may have just been using the appropriate strat.

Speaking of Meta, you got a video of you playing him? I'll add it to my guide against Meta.... I have a few matches saved on my Wii but don't have recording device yet T_T

madiaz3

Smash Apprentice
You play a fine Marth. Against faster characters (aka Metaknight) you can't use so many smashes and will have to replace them with dancing blade, but the videos I saw were all against slower characters so you may have just been using the appropriate strat.

Speaking of Meta, you got a video of you playing him? I'll add it to my guide against Meta.... I have a few matches saved on my Wii but don't have recording device yet T_T
I do, but it is very very outdated from early april, it's almost embarassing, however getting a video of me playing one now will be a priority.

madiaz3

Smash Apprentice
0:49: Marth's Up Smash did 23% :D

Your Marth is decent. Cut down on the smashes though, as you used quite a handful of them, and maybe a little less Shield Breakers as well.
eh this is the first ive heard of it really, ive always had matchup problems with link so i think i am inclined to use more smashes on him as my way of dealing

i dont dash usmash very often but link is very hittable with it

Top Bottom