• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Bullfrog's Yoshi >_> (1 new vid)

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
Well, I didn't see much wavedashing which would definitely result in you receiving less damage. There were many opprotunities for you to use it and then dish out a counter attack, but for some reason you didn't take advantage of that ;P So I'd say you should definitely work on incorporating more of it into your game; that is, unless I'm blind :p

But yeah, I saw good usage of Neutral-A's and such, but saw a few unnecessary dodges (air) and down-b's, and instead of wavedashing you seem to roll, but other than that, more practice with your tech-skill should boost your game up quite a bit :yoshi:

th0rn

Smash Lord
You roll way too much. Like MDZ said, learn to wavedash.

EDIT: watching the second match on FD, I noticed you don't even shffl (b-air). You just fulljump everything.

HylianLord

Smash Ace
mmm... first death you could have lived if you wiggled and air dodged earlier. i think u need to be more aggressive. learn how to make an approach that doesn't put you in danger. maybe reverse double jump cancel with fair and if they shiel,d tap them. if not then dash away / roll away (try not to roll too much?). but yea mainly you let the mario approach you and generally that didin't work out too well because you ended up shielding. if he approaches with shffls then just dash away / dash dance grab. when you approached, i saw you try to force short hopped nair's and dash attacks. yoshi's shffl is terrible compared to his djc so abuse djc more XD.

im "Zhu" btw. hopefully we can get a chance to play at a biweekly. sorry if any of my info was inaccurate.

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, guys. And yeah, I know I roll too much. >_<

My mindgames seem to work against people I've never played, but I've played my friend to much.

Tian

Smash Apprentice
1.Roll less
2. attack with A more often
3. Dont use Down B when he's near an edge, he might fall down.

Otherwise, not bad.
6/10.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Needs more upsmash. It's a great priority move (through links dair and Luigi's sex kick), and considering the fact that you can do it while running, and also it has more range than expected, you opponent will learn to fear being above Yoshi. Also uair has great priority, and eggs are just plain annoying, so I would say you need to expand your vertical game, which rolling doesn't do. That could bump you up a full one point on the ten point scale.

Also, use more wavedash, but that's already been said.

For horizontal approach, be in the air more, but try and keep him guessing between an air and ground approach. You ultimately want to mindgame him into thinking you're going ground, but at the last second you aerial him and start a combo. If you go solely air, he might slip up once or twice, but that isn't enough for a win. if you go solely ground, you find yourself relying on rolls and become too predictable.

Saur

Smash Apprentice
More dashdancing and wavedashing. You got a nice grab outta that dashdance. Wavedash to fsmash is fun, too. Do more of those ^_^.

Dsmashing outta the roll worked sometimes but you were a bit predictable and he punished you out of the shield quite a bit. I'm surprised he didn't punish you more for all your down-bs. You also rolled as a retreat instead of using the wave dash or just dashing.

When you DO roll, it might be good to lightshield with z so he pushes you for some breathing room.

You only really approached mario with bairs, again kinda predictable. Especially since a lot of them were full-hopped. Bair is a good set up but mix them up with fairs, which have great range and priority and are an awesome combo starter.

There's a thread somewhere here about Yoshi vs Mario... that'd be good to look at for this particular matchup.

I think all you need is a little more tech skill, as MDZ said. Short hop.

SRMagus

Smash Apprentice
Your friend uses his cape, on the level, once in a blue moon. Egg egg egg egg egg.

And stop rolling, as was said before. Instead of rolling, you may want to try to dtilt, if you can't wavedash, nice move to just get him away. In this matchup I would play defensively and throw eggs until Mario proved he could use his cape effectively.

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
You know some good priority attacks, which is good, and if I was you, I when you are about to roll, instead, use the c-stick quickly. You have a better chance of getting away damageless, and you also cause him damage.
Anyways, good match, and nice Yoshi: 7/10

BladeofKeyZ

Smash Rookie
Roll too much, Dash-Dancing seemed pointless (but like you said, the guy knows your mindgames), Double Jump Canceling is a must with Yoshi, Wavedash more often, blah blah blah...

6/10

Flak

Smash Cadet
yeah, definetely learn to incorporate wavedashing. Yoshi has a good wavedash in relation to the range of his smash attacks, so use that to your advantage! Wavedash away, then forward smash. And use more up smashes.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
Got wavedash? Seriously, quick the consistent rolling. You got punished for it over and over you didn't stop. Also, I saw a serious lack of SHFFLed DAirs and FAirs, which is something that will help your game a bit. Also, you shouldn't have given up on returning when you were tumbling; you could have wiggled and then air-dodged.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Its pretty easy to see you've improved. I think all you need now is better sparring partners. Ones that tech on the ground after you dash attack them, or ones that don't roll towards you and get d-smashed.

Are there any tournament level smashers in your area you could try and practice against?

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
There've been a few, but now I don't see much very often. And I can't drive yet, so I can only go as far as my mom wants to go. >_>

FireBomb

Smash Lord
The only thing I've accomplished on this thread was getting lower self-esteem and creating a 5-in-a-row "Taste the Rainbow" sig combo with you guys.

But I digress... I'm beginning to think that we should go to tourney's more periodically. Not to every single one available, but just ones every now and then (At least until one of us finally gets a license).

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hey, now.

Your five hit sig combo is pretty amazing. Inescapable, too. The only thing better would be a seven sig CG cancel to super multiquote finish.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: The only reason I haven't said anything is cuz I've been trying to shut up and read more instead of posting.

If you really want me to, though, I can critique them tomorrow afternoon.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I apologise for being blunt in what I said Firebomb. Your Mario trumps mine, and it's far from bad. Still, its also far from perfect, and you know it. Practice and try to play better, and more importantly enjoy yourself while you're doing so, and become the next TheCape or Brown Mario. ^_^

*Wants to also mention something Yoshi related, but can't think of anything*

Woo! I'm not wearing any pants!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Now, see, here I was...just gonna put down a critique and Bringer's gotta be all like...

"No pants, whooo!"

I can't follow that up! GOSH, BRINGER.

P.S. - Go put some pants on. Silly. ¬_¬

Bloshi

Smash Ace
You need better follow up. Sometimes you would just jump into the air to avoid his attack and then not djc an attack of your own to punish his lag. It seems that you could work on knowing when to use aerials a little more.

Also, you kept trying to space the fsmash, which worked wonderfully sometimes, and at other times failed miserably, where usmash or something else would've worked better. Remember, just because fsmash has good spacing doesn't make you Marth.

One more tip: when you go past the ledge and want to stop on it for edgehogging purposes, then downb. I noticed times when you could've done that instead of getting back on and then instant edghogging. Just a little tip to speed your Yoshi up a little bit more.

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
Oh, right DJC. I probably forgot, or I was too scared because I almost died twice from trying it. >_>

Can you point out that second part for me please? I wanna see where, because I didn't notice it.

And thanks for the tip.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I apologise for being blunt in what I said Firebomb. Your Mario trumps mine, and it's far from bad. Still, its also far from perfect, and you know it. Practice and try to play better, and more importantly enjoy yourself while you're doing so, and become the next TheCape or Brown Mario. ^_^
It's cool. Haha that'll be the day... I don't think people will be saying "You should watch FireBomb's/Bullfrog's videos and observe their technique" for a long time, but everyone starts somewhere. :laugh: Those guys are machines.

Seeing how I'm not Yoshi related in the least, I'll be leaving this thread now. . .

Aaron_Sketch

Smash Cadet
I think you should wavedash instead of roll, and nair instead of fair. It would help you out alot. Good otherwise though.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
I saw the first and the last one. You defintly did better on fd. You need to build up ur defense game. and good attacks wouldnt hurt either. I see he was reading your rolls. Dont roll infront of someone. Wavedash can help u oul alot in this type of match up. If i was playin i would have done alot hit in run moves. Throw some d tilts in. Maybe a neutral a. Then wavedash and roll away. I noticed you always played best on your last stock. O and on more thing. Dont let mario up throw combo you. Just double jump out of his attack. And punish him with your own. But again. The biggest reason why you lost is because you just got hit. too much. Keep it up.

technomancer

Smash Champion
More wavesmash vs. Roy! Punish those whiffs, and get faster at stuffs. Also, use your full hop FF Fair, it's really good against Roy in particular.

Dory..?

Smash Apprentice
Not saying this is the reasons but you should really WD more, and use those airs nothing says Yoshi like his sex kick of fair or dair!!!!!

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Hmmm...somethings missing...oh yeah I know now! TEH JUGGLEZ! Where are the Yoshi combos? Roy is one of the easiest characters to combo, being a semi-fastfaller. Just work on linking moves and your Yoshi will become tons better. I think that is your major problem, you have a hard time getting a combo going, even after hitting with a setup move.

nub?

Smash Rookie
Yea i agree with bloshi in more juggles. The first stock you took off the roy when you grabbed him to a uair was great! I think you could've used yoshi's grab a bit more for more of those ;) and also never underestimate the range of that sword :( lol

Top Bottom