• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RagnaRoK the Reaper's ,Roy Guide Vol. III (updated 11/03/07)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
****This is the thread I shall be updating with my Guide. Do not close, or I'll make a new one. I'll put [COMPLETE] at the bottom when I'm done. For now, leave this on here as I will periodically be making videos and other things to back up what I say here.****

****New!!*****

Roy's D-Tilt can be used to be a "Platform chaser". Otherwise, with characters that are popped up enough to land onto an edge (Learn the damages certain characters do) to land onto it without being able to jump again, and either roll to either side or gets up quickly, can be forward smash or grabbed rather easily. This doesn't apply to Roy's up-throw, as the time it takes from throw to get up there is too great and you have a better chance of being hit.

The "RoK Combo" has been officially changed. Once players reach a certain percent, any move that Roy Does essentially knocks them to far away to set up for a forward smash. So, a new initiaitive is a bit of a mind game. Normally, people expect someone to either hit with both parts of the nuetral a for Roy, or just aim for for the last one to hit (like marth). You hit with the first one and shuffle down fast enough so that only the first hit connects, this only pops them up a little; You can then forward smash or down smash to kill them. This is stoppable if your opponent taps A during the frames they recover (Not to many) But this SHOULD get the job Done.

RoK insta classic - For those of you who remember my last guide, this was essentially a up-air to forward smash combination in order to kill certain people at certain damages. The best way to actually use this combo, is to wave dash BACKWARDZ off a platform on a stage (not off a stage) towards an opponent that is nearly at the other platform (really, only on Yoshi's story/ Battlefield, until you actually know the spacing), that way the back part will hit them and give you more time, you can then forward smash them, or go into chain throwing on Fox/Falco/Captain Falcon.

RagnaRoK the Reaper's Roy Guide, Vol. III

Mission Statement:: To do my best to attempt to show the people of the Smashboards community, specifically those who want to do well with Roy before brawl, or are just looking for new things to try with him; RagnaRoK's method of playing with the Lord of Pharae who wields the Sword of Seals.

Disclaimer:: This is MY way of playing with Roy, and may not be the best way to play for YOU. But these techniques, character specific stratedgies, edgeguards, counters, etc. Are how I play and how I will continue to play, and I've been steadily improving these combos and techniques throughout my melee journey. So, read and try and take all into account. Constructive Critism is encouraged, *******es will be labled as *******es. Moderators, I ask that you remove these people however, I don't want my guide to turn into a flammer's thread, like you have done with all my other guides. GET THIS **** RIGHT THIS TIME!

[Introduction]
Roy is a character in Super Smash Bros. Melee that the majority of the smash community feels is a lesser clone of Marth; Only a few battle this and even worse, the majority of the battlers actually BELIEVE Roy is not better than Marth. False.

As far as overall gameplay, it is true that Marth is better than Roy. Marth has longer reach, he has the sweet spot at the END of his sword, meaning longer distances and not allowing your opponent to really deal more damage. He has a better edgeguard game, he has better spikes, juggle and combo ability, and ontop of that, he's quicker, as he wave dashes further and has less frames at the end of virtually every move. With this in mind, how is Roy better?(My personal opinions).

Roy is not nearly close to being as cheap as Marth, which means I'm not limited to feeling a type of gamer's guilt when I beat someone with him. It takes more skill to effectively defeat someone with Roy than with Marth, so when you can beat someone with him, that someone HAS beaten with Marth, you get more respect; and respect in general for being exceptional with this character. Roy HAS FIRE. Roy is more masculine, their taunts and winning poses alone display this. Roy has a bigger element of surprise if you are able to pull out newstuff (Which I will explain) and some people flat out don't have any experience playing against him. (Most people have played against a decent Roy now, but still the lack of very good Roy players still hold a big element of surprise).

Guide Disclaimer: As I have said, this guide is entirely my way of playing Roy. I attempted to use Marth, even though I was good with him and broke a lot of ground, Roy will always be better to me, and I have brought him back up. I'll be giving you things I use when I play as him, character specific strategies and things I do that work. Some people may debate this, but don't knock it till you try it.

Brief synopsis of what to expect from Roy: Roy is currently a Low tier character, and the very bottom of the recovery tier list. Thinking that you will get very far with him in a brief amount of time is a nearly insane thought at best. Roy is very hard to master, but is very rewarding once you do; but even mastering him, you will always be at a disadvantage to someone else who plays really any of the top tier characters, so mindplay; movement, spacing, and area control are Key to actually winning, as well as being able to Smash DI, and regular DI Well.

The "Tilt" moves: Roy has 3 tilt moves (same as everyone else) and one nuetral A attack. All of which are used for different purposes, but all CAN be used.

Forward tilt: Forward tilt can be a very wise alternative to the forward smash in some situations. It comes out quicker and doesn't have much lag. I mostly use this to set up for an edgeguard, or to use as an edgeguard in place of an forward smash. A lot of people actually tend to use this tilt on accident when trying to do some other move, so making it a regular move within your playstyle can prove vital for change-ups and unpredictability.

Down tilt: Anyone who has every even attempted to play with Roy, knows that this is actually the best tilt move he possess. This is used for a lot of his start up combo moves, and combo linkers. it pops them up high, sometimes enough to do a forward smash, to grab off of, or to merely gain spacing grounds with. Mostly used on heavy characters;, though over-usage will caused you to crouch cancel and DI down quite a bit; Use frequently, but wisely.

Up tilt: This uptilt move is nearly useless except for a very select amount of situations. It's slower than Marth's, doesn't allow them to be popped up nearly as High, don't hope to kill someone with this move. This should be used as a way to defend an incoming attack from the air, and normally followed by a block to shield grab, or dash dancing or wave dashing. I've heard you're able to grab after it in certain situations, but I have yet to see this with my own eyes, so I'll take it as a Myth. Also, on stages with low platforms, more than likely Yoshi's story or Fountain of Dreams, it can force your opponent to run off the platform, rather than to drop through to try and attack you.

Nuetral A: I mainly only use this move to grab after d tilts where they can either be grabbed or D tilt'd once more; So that I can grab them right afterwards (as most people don't expect you to use this at all). When I'm combo'ing, throw it in so they can block after it connects, since it has some lag, and then grab them afterwards. Or, when Fox or Falco are using illusion; Use it to knock them down to force them to use Butt-fire (FireFox) to come at the stage, where a counter is normally waiting on them.

Smash Attacks: Roy has three VERY nice smashattacks, though each of them has a good amount of lag, the one wiht the least amount of lag probably being his forward smash (though could be his up smash, not too sure). But I stick mostly to down and forward smashes.

Forward Smash: The Forward Smash is Roy's main horizontal killer, and main killer to be perfectly honest. This has a ton of knockback, despite not really doing all that much damage (20% I believe, most times). It can kill very early, and I call it "Reaper's angle", when you hit them and they DI a certain way to make them fly straight horizontal away from you, this is what normally kills them at very low percents. Use this sparingly, as you're up for some punishment if you miss within close proximity (which is ALL of the time for the sweet spots). Though, at higher damages, hitting with the very tip can kill as well (as long as you follow up with the proper edgeguarding).

Down Smash"The RagnaRoK": This move is strong, and is the "Peach Killer", very good move against her. However, this move has killer amounts of lag and can and will leave you open for punishment and devastating combos. Only use this as part of a RoKbo (RoK combo), or when you know it's nearly gurantee'd to win, or you won't suffer any punishment from it. If you can connect with the very, very tip of it, you'll send them either diagonally up, or down, resulting in either an edgeguard situation or a Psuedo spike. This is my Favourite Smash Attack.

This moved came to be known as "The RagnaRoK" because Wobbles the Phoenix was playing against me and said I was the only Roy he had encountered that frequently used the down smash as part of his regular play-style, and thus, dubbed it "The RagnaRoK", which now most people within the Dallas community know it is. Also, when playing a tournament in the West (Forgot what it's called). He used Roy in a friendly and referred to the down smash also as "The RagnaRoK", now, should be a commonly accepted term.

Up Smash: Up-Smash is rarely used to kill, it's also rarely ever even really used. Though, it can act as a defense against people like C.Falcon, and G-Dorf who like to use their Dair a lot. Also, for Foxes/Falcos who aren't expecting it and forget to DI, you can combo them with this, as they may fall into it 2 or 3 times before actually escaping it, sometimes you can get a forward smash out of it. Also, this at times, is an unintentional spike. From what I've seen, when you hit with the very VERY tip of it; and they are DI'ing down somewhat, it spikes them straight down, and CANNOT be meteor canceled, Has the ability to kill at 0% if they don't get their wits about them intime, and can set up for a pretty good edgeguard.

Air attacks: Roy has some good air moves, though, He doesn't have the ability to combo as much as Marth, and Roy is NOT an air based character, so fighting head to head in this fashion will mostly result in a loss on your part. Though, knowing how to take advantage of it will help you win.

Dair: Roy's dair is mostly useless as far as most pro smashers are concerned, some have even gone to the extreme of, I quote, "Don't use it". Though, this can be used as a pop up to a forward smash; Or can be used off the edge for the "RoK Spike" (Which was done by me BEFORE Reed came out with Rebellion of Fire #2), and a drop through the platform attack. ALSO, besides the RoK way of spiking, still a spike. Just like Marth's, but you have to hit them when Roy's head is inside of them, while being above him (The sword rotation starts right there, and must be there to hit). It's a tiny hit backs and requires loads of accuracy; It's easily meteor cancellable and will not kill until higher damages, when you will need luck to land it. Strong caution when using this.

Fair: You can get two of these out in your double jump, Full hop and fair, then jump again and Fair, can combo some characters. This is used mostly at low damages, to either grab soon as it connects, or to go into a forward smash if they're beginning to rack up damage and move away from it's blows. Also, you can jump off the stage and knock someone back with this with proper timing, Also, can stop Fox/Falco from using their illusion/Butt fire when even or above the stage; Tippering this on Marth at high percents can combo into a forward Smash, or down smash Psuedo/Diagonal hit. (Depending on the damage, A wave dash techchase > Forward smash may be required.)

Nair: Swing the blade left! Then Right! Well, it has two hits in this motion and can be used to go into a forward smash at mid percents on heavy characters, and low damage on light weight characters. You can wave dash off the stage and immediately use this and can get back on the stage as an edgeguard (risky, just like all of his edgeguarding). Also, at higher damages can be used in air fighting to knock your opponent off the stage, or to come through a platform to push them back.

Uair: In my opinion, Roy's BEST air esque move. When your opponent is under a platform, spam this with shuffle and force them to come down to you; You're not helpless. This also sets up for nice combos on Fox/Falco/Captain Falcon and a few others. On a lot of characters, can be combo'd in directly to a Uair, or into a Fair. Lower damages, you can grab soon afterwards to set up for more combos or Uairs. Can be used when edge-hopping (Jumping from the edge to the stage) to pop up before a smash attack is used.

Bair: One of Roy's forgotten moves, as people I see hardly even use this with Roy, but love the hell out of it with Marth. You should apply this also to our hero! Sometimes can be tricky to L-Cancel (From my usage with it), but can be combo'd into a F Smash, has decent range, and can be used as a sick, edgeguard. Which I'll discuss later. Can be used through a platform when trying to knock them a certain way off of it, where as the Uair is just for racking up damage or forcing them to come to you. (Use the Bair on a Peach that's downsmashing on a platform, rather than a Uair).

Special moves (B-Button): Roy has very good special moves, a one hit kill move (NEVER expect the full connection of this, you're being an idjit), and a good Fire recovery technique (Still should not be the BOTTOM of the recovery list), but whatever.

Nuetral B: Basically, this is the charge up hit move that is also a kill move of Roy's. It's essentially a "one-hit kill", but we all know that you'll never full charge this. It's good to use against Fox/Falco's illusion if you're trying to go straight in for the kill, as it hits below the level a bit, and if it extends out, you can effectively mess up their edge game. For Gannon's and Captain Falco's, this can kill their sweet spotting. I'll discuss more of it's usage later, but it is one of the better edgeguarding moves used in the game.

Side B: Roy's side B is known as "Double Edge Dance" (Which is more manly sounding than Marth's "Sword dance"). This is his BEST, B move. As you have many variations of this, such as the shield lower combo (Which is Side B, + Up B + Down B + Down B) Kills their shield, doesn't complete destroy it, but does a good job, and usually the very end of the combo hurts. Just one "Side B" has the ability to set up for a grab or a combo (since most people shield when the first one hits) or you can wave dash away if they block it and you're out of reach. The third input (nuetral) is his kill, the third input up is his meteor'd spike (one of them). Use this alot in your offensive tactics, but switch it up and impliment it with other moves; DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT be predictable with this. (This move is also one of the few Roy possess that is geniunely better than MARTH's). Also, can be used to give him a bit more air when used. (Though only the first one, the others preceeding this will only delay his fall, not make him go any further than he would've. )

Down B "Roy Counters All": My most well known phrase "Roy Counters all". Roy's counter is in fact, stronger than Marth's, however, has less frames for the actual part to counter, as well as a longer lag time. Though, when hit, it deals back, I believe 1.5 x the amount damage (correct me if I'm wrong). it seems to work extremely well against gannon's/falcos/ Peach's down smash and Marth really. Also, the invisible wall glitch, I believe it's called. Allows for a player to be spurred diagonally up, and then begin to rapidly move down in an angle so it looks like they bounced off of a wall. This cannot be meteor'd or jumped out of until you've gone as far as you can go/dazed as long as you can go. do NOT spam this, it should only be used a few times in a match when you KNOW something is coming. I.E. someone messes up and Falcon Punches/Gannon Punch, someone is spamming a move and you know it's coming, Edge-hopped Counter (Beautiful).

Up B : Roy's Main point of recovery. Can be used either straight up, or Diagonally. My suggestion is to learn how to sweet spot the edge below the stage with Roy's Horizonal recovery. This way you have a better shot to Tech/Avoid Marth's tip when he's going to attack you, Mario's cape, Peach's down smash, Falco spikes, Fox's shine, Link's spin spike, etc. etc. This is VERY crucial. Also to avoid MARTH'S counter, it hurts. Though, this has it's uses. If you can get peach on the highest platform of Yoshi's island, you can effectively 1 hit kill her with a reverse blazer (Only if she's in the air a bit above the platform). Also, the reverse blazer (Which is you hit up b, quickly change directions after initiation) can kill Jigglypuff on a good amount of stages (F.D., Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's) with one hit.

Things to practice with Roy: Things to practice with Roy, against CPU's, individual training, and against Humans (Friendlies/Friends).

CPU's: Sethlon discovered that if you use Fox and go to training mode to chain throw him, he randomly DI's in different directions, this is good to help you learn to chase, and to work on your JC Grabbing. When you practice against a computer, Practice against Lvl 7 and 8's; Better than level 9's and are good for solo training. However, fight like you would a normal human player, wave dashing/Dash dancing, all of that. If you don't have anyone else and you're forced to do this, might as well make the most of it. Practice combos, uptilts, fight against DIFFERENT people. Try this sequence. Falco>Fox>Captain Falcon>Donkey Kong>GannonDorf>Mario>Luigi>Princess Peach>Link>Roy (Repeat). This sequence should give you enough variety for you not to get comfortable in one play style. Try out new moves, but remember these vital things while playing. THE CPU DOES NOT DI AWAY, NOR DOES THE CPU DO ANY MOVEMENT TRICKS. This is to learn the weight, and what is possible to probably combo.

Training: I suggest for training on things such as movement/L-Cancelling/Shuffling, you plug a second controller into the Gamecube port, and what you should do is simply select a character for that, set the time to infinite and go to Battle field. Practice L-Cancellling, Wave Dashing, All your L-cancelled Air moves; Movement, Wavedashing left and to the right. Wave landing and wave dashing on and off of platforms. Getting on and off/stage, ledgehopping and all that good stuff. (I will make a description for all this terminology a bit later). But for now, this is how you'll get faster and gain confidence, practice makes perfect!

Human/Friends/Friendlies: Even if it's only a smashfest, this is the time you put your hard earned skills to work. Now, remember, this isn't a tournament, there is no reason for you to try and prove anything here necessarily, as the atmosphere of a tournament is much thicker; So, you want to get out all your kinks now, and find out what works/doesn't work, and what needs to be tweaked. Ask to play some really good people, once you master how to fight against them, find diverse styles, the more styles and change-ups you know, the better prepared you'll be. Remember, mix up offense and defense; emphasis on grabbing and tech-chasing, and use of the COUNTER.

Edge guarding tactics: Going to tell you some tactics I use to edgeguard with Roy; Some of them (if not most of them) are all in the timing, and the reaction to the slight lag the game gives when you connect with a hit, or the duration of him within those frames of attacking before he can successfully recover. All of what I am going to say, WORKS. But, you may die if you don't get this down, PERFECT. So, Practice, practice, Practice!

"RagnaRoK" Edge guard: The Downsmash of Roy has the ability to knock people away from you diagonally upwards, or at a diagonal downward trajectory, kind of like jigglypuff's downsmash. You have to hit with the very tip, and this can be just enough for them to move far enough either to not grab the edge, for them to miss a sweet spot and you F-Smash, or you can simply edgehog them. It all depends on the situation, but this is definately an option. Should only be used if your opponent is low/Moderate damage and you're running and have to dash cancel a bit away and as a last minute effort to do some damage.

"Rarth" Edge guard: Basically, while holding onto the edge (As if you were edgehogging) and your opponent is coming downwards, at a height that is either even or a little below the stage within your range. You tap back, or down to let go to the edge, and quickly tap the jump button, and the control stick backwards nearly simutaneously to allow him to do his Bair and send them back. Immediately afterwards, do your Up B Diagonally to grab the stage. Very crucial t his is done ABOVE the stage (When Roy jumps) He doesn't have enough ups to make it back if he drops low to hit an opponent.

RoK's Spike: When a character is coming upwards from the stage and you're still hanging on the edge (Preferably, just grabbed the edge as you'll need the invincibility frames), Works better on Gannon, C.Falcon, Fox/Falco. When they're directly above you from going upwards to try and land upon the stage (Since you're edgehogging) What you do is Jump towards the stage and down your Dair as quickly as possible. If right, It'll spike them down at a faster rate than normal and should result in them dying. (Example is seen in Rebellion of Fire #2, I posted this technique up a while ago though, and people called it idiotic, but it's clearly do-able with proof, as are my other edgeguards). Also, if it doesn't work and manages to pop them up, if their damage is right, and you L-Canceled it, you will pop them up and can forward smash to setup for another edgeguard.

FireDrop: A basic Roy edgeguard, with actually two ways to do this. The first is basically you jump off the stage and hold the button and release to try and connect with a flair blade to push them back. You only do this on the first full hop, to allow a jump and your Up+B recovery to make it back to the edge. The second is intially you run to the edge of the stage and hold B and then release, you should slide off the stage. This Actually moves a good ways below the stage, and fairly easy to make it back if timed right. Can result in death if you don't know what you're doing.

Stage Flare Blade: Attempt to hit someone with the very tip of the Fair blade so it pushes them outwards when edgeguarding. However, you can also get close (Not too close) when you do it, because it can mess up Fox's/Falco's illusion edgegrabs, and can take care of Link before he even gets close enough. It's a good edgeguard that most people don't do because it's time consuming.

Counter: Roy's Down+B move (ROY COUNTERS ALL). This is good to use against Marth's, as it pushes them outwards and you can easily edgehog them, one very good thing about it. Also, can be used against FoxFire, and people like Shiek, who jumps from the edge and Fair's, or Captain Falcons who like to edgehop and Fair (Knee). Use this wisely as it doesn't have many active frames, and has a huge amount of time in actual lag, use sparingly, but try to connect when you do and they'll learn to FEAR this move.

D.E.D. (Double Edge Dance) Fourth input of the combination down: Say you're going against a Marth/Link/Shiek. This is a good move to use to attempt to push them back while staying a safe distance. Roy Lounges forward and stabs his sword multiple times, and it actually goes downwards and through the level a few times. This allows you to try and get the very tip to push them back. While allowing enough room to avoid attack (Or just get hit by the tips, which doesn't have all that much knockback). Sometimes can foil sweet spotted attempts, or if you just did it, can thrwart your adversaries wanting to try and jump off and attack you, as the attack had just now been intiiated.

Character Specifics: Going to go over some character specifics now. If you reached this section, you should've read everything above just incase I make a reference to something. This and other parts of my guide will be updating constantly, so you may want to scan back through the guide for improvements and recently uncovered information.
[A brief overview] = Roy should be played slightly aggressive in order to win, especially in his closer matchups. Work on L-Cancelling throughly, and using air attacks deep into your opponent, so you can L-Cancel and run behind them to a grab or DED if it misses, as people love to punish Roys with many shield grabs to combos. Spamming forward smash in certain situations CAN help you to win, against shiek's and others. Remember to use your side step (Down+R/L) wisely and to go for early kills, it being very hard to do so once they float away at nearly every tap Roy gives. Master shield grabbing, tech chasing, and Roy's overall movement, as well sa being able to sweet spot his Up+B vertically, and diagonally.

Fox McCloud: Fox is a Space Animal, which isn't very good for Roy. BUT. Of the two, Fox gives Roy the least amount of trouble. Reason?: No Pesky lasers which allow Roy more room to move, though he can be combo'd more by Fox than by Falco, but the possibility of escaping a combo to rack up damage is more apparently on Fox, than Falco. Roy has a good advantage in this match (As they are the few of the variety Roy can successfully combo/Chain throw). But he's still at a disadvantage, as he is with most of his match-ups.

Stages in Roy's Favor:Fountain of Dreams/Dreamland/Donkey Kong 64

Stages nuetral to both parties: Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination

Stages against Roys Favor: Yoshi stage

Stratedgy Synopsis.: Fox is the highest of all the top tiers, because he is not truly in a disadvantage against any character he may come up against; Roy being no exception. Though, in this match; As badly as Roy can take abuse, he can also dish it out nearly blow for Blow. Fox can be Chain throwed, D-tilted into grabs, Countered on his FoxFire recovery, as well as flare blade and nuetral A dropping him below the stage to setup for more edgeguards. I suggest watching out for throws from Fox, As upthrows MUST be DI'd, as he can juggle with multiple Uairs and can kill with them at early damage, as well as his upsmash. Being wave shine'd off the cliff when Fox is close to the edge, can also let him kill you with a shinespike, as you'll still be falling from the first shine as you can shine you again. I'll talk with you on how to avoid a good bit of this, and how to battle back.

Defensive Stratedgy: If Fox manages to shine you off the Cliff/Stage/Edge, you want to Up+B as quickly as you can. If you managed to get up Smashed, attempt SMASH DI'ING. This will save you if you can do it right. If you're hit with a sidewards smash, DI towards the stage diagonally up, to go as much as you can upwards, you want to avoid being sent horizontally or down. Crouch cancel works against everything pretty much against his shine, Down Tilt works well if you're being attacked and crouch cancelling. Platforms are your friend, learn to use them fast and quickly and confuse a Fox player, not many characters have the ability to actually stick with Fox toe-to-toe at low tier status. Start Shield grabbing to get him afraid to do anything to you (Watch out for the shine soon as he L-Cancels, it pops out the very first frame of the animation).

Offensive tactics: Fox can be chain throwed, DO NOT start off his life with trying to chain throw, as it is impossible to do so when he's 0%, wait till he gets to 10-15% before you start trying, he may actually DI into a forward smash to setup for an edgeguard/Early death scenario. Shield grabbing is key to punish him for being over-aggressive; And double edge dance should be in your main arsenal of attacks. DED combination B, Up+B, Side+B will nearly hit him every single time, no matter what damage he may be (Unless you get him up to crazy 200+ numbers). Counter works very, VERY well against him; it does ridiculous amounts of damage, so when he FireFox's, make him pay for that. You can use your nuetral A doing his Illusion to knock him below the stage, forcing him to FireFox right into your counter. You can also Flare blade to kill any sweet spotting attempts he may have with the move.

Effective combo's to use against this character:

(From 0% or up to about 7%)

1. Grab>Up-Throw>D-Tilt>Grab>up-Throw>Chain Throw into Forward Smash.

2. D-Tilt>Tech-Chase>Grab ( and hit)>Up-Throw into Forward Smash.

3. Fair>Grab(hit)>Up-Throw>D-Tilt>Fair>Forward Smash

4. Grab>F-Throw>Grab>( into # 3 from [Grab(hit)] or 2 from the same spot)

Over-View: Fox is still a high disadvantage for Roy, but with all he has against him, he nearly has against Fox. The only difference is, meta-game and all comes into play here; You can't be scared of high-tiers when you play, that's the big key to success when yu play Roy, if you think you're severly handicap a going in, YOU WILL BE. Positive mindset is key to overall victory.

[INCOMPLETE]

BeArR

Smash Journeyman
You fail already ragnarok, please re-read your statement about roy being better than marth. This is obviously very un-true and you should correct that. And if there is anyone that should be making a roy guide it is sethlon, in fact I demand that if you are allowed to make a guide, sethlon should be encouraged *hinthint* to make one also. Mostly because he is a lot better.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
I don't want my guide to turn into a flammer's thread, like you have done with all my other guides. GET THIS **** RIGHT THIS TIME!
Ok, I believe that you have the right to make a thread... and you have the right to want it to be flame-free. However let me give you a little advice...

Roy is a character in Super Smash Bros. Melee that the majority of the smash community feels is a lesser clone of Marth; Only a few battle this and even worse, the majority of the battlers actually BELIEVE Roy is not better than Marth. False.
You gotta watch YOUR WORDS bro. Saying stuff like this is like pouring gasoline over yourself... you're just asking for it. Don't go over controversial stuff if you don't want to create controversy, simple as that.

Hmm if you can't realize this, it's probably because you have too much ego.

Good luck.

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
Ok, I believe that you have the right to make a thread... and you have the right to want it to be flame-free. However let me give you a little advice...

You gotta watch YOUR WORDS bro. Saying stuff like this is like pouring gasoline over yourself... you're just asking for it. Don't go over controversial stuff if you don't want to create controversy, simple as that.

Good luck.
qft

you can't ask for no flames with the way you present your ideas dude. word choice is the key to be taken seriously. better bring something very different than your previous stuff

Banned via Administration
you shouldnt be excused from being flamed if you post stupid things. thats not allowing people to respond to your ideas, and if that's the case, whats the point of even making a thread in the first place? so people can have a read only thread where they read bull****? i think not.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey Ragnork....

Money Match?

I've never really played roy...but I will Roy Ditto MM you if you want. I live in texas and go to dallas sometimes.

Also if you really want to be destroyed you can try my samus or fox >_>...But I could understand if you would rather just play my Roy. I'm intrested to know how well I would be able to do in a money match with a character I don't know how to play considering you don't really seem to know much about the game anyways.

Accept of Decline, no hate either way. I find it enjoyable reading these threads.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
i just realized something. without ragnarok's inherent egotistical nature and 5150's superior flaming skills, the roy forums would be nothing. we'd just be arguing about whether or not ike will be like roy in brawl and the people would post in here once every few days instead of also like 7 times a day like today, when ragnarok posted his new guide.

Milos

Smash Lord
you shouldnt be excused from being flamed if you post stupid things. thats not allowing people to respond to your ideas, and if that's the case, whats the point of even making a thread in the first place? so people can have a read only thread where they read bull****? i think not.
qft

And also, I agree that the Roy forums would be much less interesting without 5150 and Ragnarok. however, though ragna's ego may be big, Hylian saying that (though I believe you are better) is a tad hypocritical. Let's just see how the guide turns out. don't say things that ask for flame, and you should be fine. I'm interested in the final product. who knows? you might know what you're talking about. I haven't been around long enough to judge either way.

KuroYami

Smash Apprentice
Hey Ragnork....

Money Match?

I've never really played roy...but I will Roy Ditto MM you if you want. I live in texas and go to dallas sometimes.

Also if you really want to be destroyed you can try my samus or fox >_>...But I could understand if you would rather just play my Roy. I'm intrested to know how well I would be able to do in a money match with a character I don't know how to play considering you don't really seem to know much about the game anyways.

Accept of Decline, no hate either way. I find it enjoyable reading these threads.
Hey dude, i believe this tread is to (critisize) ragnaroks stratagy, not challenge him to money matches. but if you feel like getting your money taken be my guest.

PS.BKM4LFE

Sliq

Smash Master
How can someone ask for no flames in a Roy guide? You want no flames, play Marth, son.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey dude, i believe this tread is to (critisize) ragnaroks stratagy, not challenge him to money matches. but if you feel like getting your money taken be my guest.

PS.BKM4LFE
Feel like getting my money taken? Last time I saw ragnork play he got 4 stocked by Mouf's bowser. Mouf doesn't even play bowser. I also have played with sethlons roy several times and I'm positive that Rag's is no where even close to as good as sethlons roy.

So I offer my critism in the form of a MM. Considering I don't play roy it should be very fun. I'm not trying to insult him, I just think that based on his posts his ego is huge, and I know that I suck pretty bad at this game from all the tournaments I have been to, but I still think I would be able to beat him in a MM with a character that I don't use.

I will probably just run around Shffling uairs into dtilts or side-b's or fsmashs or something. I mainly want to do this for fun though.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Simutaneous Replys.

You fail already ragnarok, please re-read your statement about roy being better than marth. This is obviously very un-true and you should correct that. And if there is anyone that should be making a roy guide it is sethlon, in fact I demand that if you are allowed to make a guide, sethlon should be encouraged *hinthint* to make one also. Mostly because he is a lot better.
I also want to replay Sethlon, when I ditto'd him at Do a Barrell Roll 3, he 1 and 2 stocked me, I figure I should be able to take him now. I am anxious to play him again, I want the title of Texas Best Roy.

Finish reading what I posted under there. I'm not done. You need to pay attention and read the wholething blockhead.

Good luck.
No problem, but yeah.

I'm a controversial person with a hello huge Ego, and a lot of **** talking. That makes me who I am. I won't change that, I've been Roy since I came in, I'm gonna be a Roy'er when I go out, RoK will be RoK.

You're an idiot. I said constructive critism. For YOU, it may not be able to post anything since all you like to do is down people, well, you can lick my ****hole, that's about all that comes from your mouth anyway.

Hey Ragnork....

Money Match?

First off it's "RagnaRoK" not Ragnork (TF?), And if you come to Dallas, I haven't seen you at any tournaments, nor at any MGC's. However, this is specifically for my Guide, you want to money match or something, PM me or post it within my home thread.

i just realized something. without ragnarok's inherent egotistical nature and 5150's superior flaming skills, the roy forums would be nothing. we'd just be arguing about whether or not ike will be like roy in brawl and the people would post in here once every few days instead of also like 7 times a day like today, when ragnarok posted his new guide.
True, I hate em' but we keep the things active with other crap to debate about.

How can someone ask for no flames in a Roy guide? You want no flames, play Marth, son.
Tried to play Marth. Girly men aren't my thing.

Sliq

Smash Master
Tried to play Marth. Girly men aren't my thing.
I see. You like the burly, strong men then? I assume you have a subscription to Bear Magazine?

Also, my joke went WAY over your head (hint: Roy has teh ph1re).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I saw you at Do a Barrel Roll 3...I also saw you play >_>...Never really had the urge to go play you.

Also, you assume you can beat sethlon now? Just because he 1 and 2 stocked you? You don't think he has gotten better? He has recently taken a game off Cavemans shiek with roy.

Have fun with that.

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
discuss just rok's guide, you want to challenge him in smash take it to PMs or AIM

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I see. You like the burly, strong men then? I assume you have a subscription to Bear Magazine?

Also, my joke went WAY over your head (hint: Roy has teh ph1re).
Sliq. that's hilarious.

Also, Roy needs a new guide, hopefully this doesn't get closed like all of Ragna's threads.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
AFTER THIS REPLY. Take it to PM's my aim is Omnihayato only talk about my guide

I saw you at Do a Barrel Roll 3...I also saw you play >_>...Never really had the urge to go play you.

Also, you assume you can beat sethlon now? Just because he 1 and 2 stocked you? You don't think he has gotten better? He has recently taken a game off Cavemans shiek with roy.

Have fun with that.
***AFTER THIS I WONT' BE REPLYING TO ANYONE, TAKE IT TO MY PM OR MY AIM OMNIHAYATO. ****************

At least you knew who I was at DaBR3, I didn't even know you existed. But then again, who doesn't know who I am?

Also, this is around the time I was getting better however, I always suicided which is how I got 4 stocked by his Bowser, I was below 20% every time I died, because I never considered it a real match. I did, however, Beat Mouf's DK one time, even with the suicides, I beat him 1 of 4 matches, but that's a testament to at least the progress I had made.

Sethlon has gotten better, so I feel it's safe to assume I've gotten better. You won't know me until you've actually played me. I'm going to be making this guide to showcase some of what i learned that hopefully, even if I can't utilize it to the fullest (As I do forget a lot of my OWN techniques while playing; I've got to learn to impliment them more) others can take f ull advantage. Now, I would appreciate it if you, all who read thi and my guide. only talk about my Guide, or make a "Challenge RagnaRoK/Talk about RagnaRoK" thread instead. Which should be done.

Sliq

Smash Master
***AFTER THIS I WONT' BE REPLYING TO ANYONE, TAKE IT TO MY PM OR MY AIM OMNIHAYATO. ****************
If you like to make out with dudes, don't reply.

At least you knew who I was at DaBR3, I didn't even know you existed. But then again, who doesn't know who I am?
I had no idea who you are, but I knew who Hylian was .

Also, this is around the time I was getting better however, I always suicided which is how I got 4 stocked by his Bowser, I was below 20% every time I died, because I never considered it a real match. I did, however, Beat Mouf's DK one time, even with the suicides, I beat him 1 of 4 matches, but that's a testament to at least the progress I had made.

Banned via Administration
Sliq. that's hilarious.

Also, Roy needs a new guide, hopefully this doesn't get closed like all of Ragna's threads.
actually i hope to god this gets closed everyone of this scrub's guides are pollution in the water supply of hte smash community.

i fyou want, i have an old roy guide i wrote but enver posted because people kept making thousands of really ****ty roy guides.

so let me get this straight, you got 4 stocked by BOWSER????????????

oh and beating someone 1/4 times and using it as bragging rights is ridiculously ********

Sethlon has gotten better, so I feel it's safe to assume I've gotten better. You won't know me until you've actually played me. I'm going to be making this guide to showcase some of what i learned that hopefully, even if I can't utilize it to the fullest (As I do forget a lot of my OWN techniques while playing; I've got to learn to impliment them more) others can take f ull advantage. Now, I would appreciate it if you, all who read thi and my guide. only talk about my Guide, or make a "Challenge RagnaRoK/Talk about RagnaRoK" thread instead. Which should be done.
you haven't gotten better and you still suck. gg.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
First off, just replying to what you said,
I'm sorry you have never heard of me...I have been to most texas tournaments...which you haven't. Ever. And the only reason I knew who you were is becuse someone pointed you out to me and said "He is really bad but thinks he's good". Something to that effect. And they used your hat for something.

Well, this isn't me challenging Rok or anything like that, I am going to talk about his guide...thats what he wants right?

Basically RoK, you're guide is horrible in every way imaginable. You say it is how you play, but why would anyone want to play like that? Your guide is not informitive at all. Guides are supposed to help people. Reading your guide would make someone who was new to the game and looking to get good with roy play horrbily. You say the things you do "work" for you...but that is a lie. Look at your tournament record..wait...what tournament record?

You don't present the guide well and all it does is cause argument, because generally players that are good at this game like helping people and making them better. This guide will help no one. In fact, I would go so far as to say this guide would hurt new players game with roy.

It should be closed for several reasons:

1. It has no useful information about roy.
2. It starts arguments.
3. Does not help this community in any way.

Close please. Unless you can tell me how this could possibly be useful.

Sir Roy

Smash Journeyman
...I come around these forums once in a blue moon because it's a graveyard for intellectual conversation. I come around again tonight and...see that it's still true. I come to the front of the Roy forums to see a locked thread....that's entire purpose is to talk to him..about his guide. Or something. ....What the hell. Then I poke my head in here to see what this guide is about.

Oh my god.

My brain froze at the fact that you don't think Marth is Better than Roy. I've got a bit of news for you.

ROY < MARTH
Time tested and solid fact.

The Tier list changes every now and then and it's been consistant in one thing. Roy is Low Tier. Marth is Top Tier.

I didn't even bother to read the rest of this little guide, that one sentence alone blew any and all credibility out of the window.

I learned to play the game with a friend about...four years ago now. I play Roy, he plays Marth. At the very beginning of the game, I was clearly the superior. But after we learned the technical skills needed to be advanced players, he caught up. We were equal. When we got some tourney experience....He's by far the superior. In our Marth vs Roy fights as of late, out of ten matches, I might win two of them, and those wins will be either his fault in making too many mistakes, or mine for out-thinking him every once in awhile.

So..yeah. No.

Here's something though; I rant I wrote well over two years ago and that's still true today that's very relevant to this conversation.
As quoted from myself in 2005

It has come to my attention that you apparently think that Roy is better than Marth. While this is a worthy statement, and for many months before I became educated, I believed this to be the truth, the statement remains.

MARTH IS BETTER.

See, we have a handy thing called a tier list. It tells us who sucks, and who doesn't. In case you can't read, (get help if your on here and you can't), I'm going to give you a little clue.

Roy is 15th in Tiers.

Marth is 3rd.

Now if this were a twenty-six character marathon, you award prizes for third place. Do you award them for people in 15th place? Nope. The best you'd get for something that low, is a pat on the back for finishing, acid poured in the eyes of your ego and lastly, a nice big L on your forehead as you walk home.

Marth is Faster. Marth is Combo's people beyond 2-3 hits. Marth has a moderately better come back. Marth's sword works in unparadox ways (GET A SPEAR!), and to top it all off, very few characters can combo you into a god**** soul-munching, ego-crushing smash that effectively kills anyone.

Of course, poor, ******* child Roy has none of these weapons at his disposal.

He's like a Caveman with a club. He just hits hard.

So before you think Roy is better.

Before you start to think to even think that Roy is better.

Face the facts.

We know of one good Roy player. We know of a few dozen excellent Marth's.

Now if this was a war, would you join the caveman with a club, or the militia with guns, cannons, tanks and bombers?

Yeah. I thought so.

Marth is better than Roy. HAL Laboratories dropped him on his skull as an infant and kept doing it until his hair turned red.

And admitting this just makes my faith in god shrink.

While I was a tad bit more...active in my Roy-ism back then, but I even realized that Marth is just all around a better character.

Ugh. Go ahead and close this one.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
RagnaROK...
you are a disgrace. :(

Black Roy players are supposed to be good at this game.

Btw, Roy dittos don't prove who's better with Roy, they prove who's better at the Roy vs Roy match lol.

edit:

Sliq, I love that image haha :laugh:

*bookmarks it*

Sliq

Smash Master
delete plx. was already commented on.
Dear moron. It was a joke. Roy has teh ph1re (that is where the "flames" come from). Marth does not. Please eat some of your mom's candy out of the bathroom medicine cabinet. I'd say an entire bottle will do.

Edit: I got modded for this post for "Flaming," which I found EXTREMELY ironic, and would like to High 5 Sintenal for his unintentional winningness.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Edit: I got modded for this post for "Flaming," which I found EXTREMELY ironic, and would like to High 5 Sintenal for his unintentional winningness.
Sliq, everyone got infractions (including myself)

:(

Renzio90

Smash Rookie
NNID
renzio88
What you have posted so far is a lot of help to me , because I also play Roy . Your opinion that Roy has more surprises is certainly true. Almost nobody plays Roy as a main , maybe it is because they don't know the style of playing that is needed to be good with the character. People quickly judge Roy because they see Marth far superior but it is the challenge of mastering Roy that seems more difficult than simply being good with Marth. But as you (RagnaRok) said that the experience with Roy is rewarding is indeed made me think and encouraged me to further advance my way of playing with Roy.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
why are the roy forums generally littered with topics that are devoid of any intellect whatsoever? this guide was not very informative, and a lot of the things said in the guide were ludicrous, at best. i wanna see 5150's guide, though...

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
why are the roy forums generally littered with topics that are devoid of any intellect whatsoever? this guide was not very informative, and a lot of the things said in the guide were ludicrous, at best. i wanna see 5150's guide, though...
Try out some of it and then decide whether or not it's ludicrous.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
What you have posted so far is a lot of help to me , because I also play Roy . Your opinion that Roy has more surprises is certainly true. Almost nobody plays Roy as a main , maybe it is because they don't know the style of playing that is needed to be good with the character. People quickly judge Roy because they see Marth far superior but it is the challenge of mastering Roy that seems more difficult than simply being good with Marth. But as you (RagnaRok) said that the experience with Roy is rewarding is indeed made me think and encouraged me to further advance my way of playing with Roy.
^^troll account

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
#2 is up, check it. And if they delete it and ban me, I'll make #3 after that, then #4 and so on until they accept it.
ummm...

wow i just want to IP ban you for disrespecting mods as a precurser to what is obviously going to happen. nobody talks about roy in this forum they talk about how horrendously bad this roy "guide" is and the fact that you know almost nothing about competitive play whatsoever.

If this gets closed and you make another one you'll get banned, another after that and its an IP ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom