• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rage Studios: SSBB Team Battle + Singles Tournament - Turnersville, NJ - April 12th

Burn

Smash Cadet
RAGE Studios Proudly Presents: SSBB TEAM BATTLE TOURNAMENT!

www.smashbrostournament.tk

Location & Hosted by: BrunswickZone - Turnersville, NJ
Address: 100 American Blvd.
Turnersville, NJ 08012
(For a Detailed Map Please visit Our website, PLEASE NOTE: Google Maps, Map Quest, and Yahoo Map Shows the WRONG Location, for Directions please Post here or PM me.)

Date: April 12th, 2008 - Saturday (Night)

Time: 7pm - 11pm (approx)

Cost Per Person Entry: $5.00

Registration at the door will start @ 6:30pm

Pre-Registration will give you a chance to win one of our door prizes. To Pre-Register please forward the following information to: PRE_REG@SMASHBROSTOURNAMENT.TK

-Name
-Nick name (if any)
-Partner's Name/Nickname (If any)
-Team Name
-Singles (or NOT)
**Pre-Registration Deadline is April 10th, 2008

Basic Rules & Mechanics

Battle type: TEAM BATTLES 2 vs. 2
(Best 2 out of 3)

Time: YES (5mins)
Stock: YES (3 count)
Share Stock: YES (ONLY if your partner is aware of it)
Items: NONE (Including Smash Ball)
Controllers: AT YOUR OWN RISK ( You may bring your own controller or use ours)

Stages that are set to random:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Story
Lylat Cruise
Luigi's Mansion
Castle Siege
Bridge of Eldin

Counter Picks:
Same from above.

**Each Round will be recorded to be used as judging material, also to be posted on our website and our Youtube channel.

Singles Tournament Rules and Info:

Entry Fee: $5.00
After Pre-Registration: $3.00

**You MUST be signed up for TEAM-Battle to paticipate in Singles, pre-registering will reduce the cost as well.

Time: YES (5mins Per Round)
Stock: YES (3 count)
Items: NONE (including Smash Ball)
Controllers: AT YOUR OWN RISK
~Stages - Same as Team-Battle Rules

Best 2 out of 3 rounds.

1st round stage will be Random from our stage list.

Following will be the loser of the round's choice of stage (counter pick).

-----------------------------------------------------​

1st Place Winning Team Prize: CASH PRIZE $***.**(currently depends on entries)

1st Place Singles = Cash (currently depends on entries)
2nd Place Singles = Cash (currently depends on entries)

All our winners will receive certifcates proving they've won in our events, and will be given a chance to come back for FREE in the next up coming event as a MVP!

Door Prizes will be given out to those who enter the chance to win one.

For more details and information PLEASE VISIT: www.smashbrostournament.tk

If you have any questions or comments that are not covered in the website or here...please post it here.

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE! AND GOOD LUCK!

Burn

Smash Cadet
Alrighty then, this is what I like to see....

I'll see what I can do for ya, pretty much that'll be changed if the community votes for it further.

Thanks for the input!

JFox

Smash Hero
Yea, Inui is right, you can't really have a full match in 3 min. Typically most brawl matches take 5 min. or so, so you would cap the limit at 7 min.

Also you are risking running a tourney that could run through all hours of the night. Starting a tourney at 7 means that people might not be gettin home til 1am-2am if they have to travel. This may deter players from wanting to attend.

Lastly, you mention space not being the issue. However, you mention nothing about brawl setups. How many tvs/wii's do you intend on having here...? If you have too few, it not only lengthens the duration of the tourney, it doesn't allow for any warm up/friendlies.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Yea, Inui is right.
I'm keeping that, jfox.

Anyway, op, Until you have, in writing, that money can be won, I will NOT support this. Prizes are gay unless it's something of actual worth; TVs, Wiis, Farmer's Daughters, Video games, etc..

as for the rules, you need to adopt the normal MLG stylish rules, or set a list of stages. I don't want my fate being pulled out with a rabbit, son.

Also, as per jpeach's post, how many tv's copies of brawl? do you need people to bring?

Edit: 3 mins is fiiiiine. LOL I killed some kid on wifi 5 times in 2 minutes.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
This needs a double post to show importance:

~Camping/stalling = automatic Team-Disqualification
WTF DOES THIS MEAN? No shooting arrows on eldin for 30 seconds? no running away. specify all of this, or I'm going to boycott.

Burn

Smash Cadet
Your concerns

Thanks for the comments....

@ JFox
Well still it's been set for 3mins. per round, reasons is the timing of the event....But if someone can voice out a better reasoning for 5-7mins then we might change it...

But honestly, I think we can only get it bump up to 5mins if more people vote for this...

As for people attending due to late issues, that shouldn't be too much as a problem seeing how we will have atlest 4 TVs and wiis set up...We MOST LIKLY will be having more, if ppl Pre-Register to give us a head count...Pre-Registering also gives you a discount for the singles, so better the reasoning. You help us while we provide a better arrangement for you guys.

Team Battles, Singles, and free play will be going on at once...I've been asked about Melee going on also, and I'm still looking into it...it sounds good to do, but once again I'll have to follow this up and see what i can do...

Thanks again!

@dmbrandon
~The Prize should be CASH (40-50% Pot) or a Wii Prize Package to the team (it's gotta be a reasonable prize)Singles 1st place might get 40-50% of the pot and probly 2nd 15-25% pot.

~The stages will be listed soon...and I will list the rounds of which they will be in.

~The TVs and wiis is NOT and problem for us, we just need a head count a estimated head count...

~Camping/Stalling deal....Don't ask me, I just put what was being passed around....BUT I've confirmed for you what it's suppost to mean and it will be updated further...

This basicly means just standing there doing nothing....like in Hyrule Temple if someone is just staying at the bottom while everyone else is uptop really brawling then the judges will start a count off and warn u, if you DONT move out of there and start fighting then you'll lose the round.
(yeah sorry for that mix up just posting what was being said , heh)

--I'll make sure to get everything updated soon...

Thanks alot guys!

dmbrandon

Smash Master
~Camping/Stalling deal....Don't ask me, I just put what was being passed around....BUT I've confirmed for you what it's suppost to mean and it will be updated further...

This basicly means just standing there doing nothing....like in Hyrule Temple if someone is just staying at the bottom while everyone else is uptop really brawling then the judges will start a count off and warn u, if you DONT move out of there and start fighting then you'll lose the round.
(yeah sorry for that mix up just posting what was being said , heh)!
what? First off, don't play hyrule. And second, why can't a person stand over the side? That's nonsense.

Burn

Smash Cadet
Dude, if your partner is doing all the Brawling then WTF are you doing there...? Do somthing to help out!

And I was just giving an example of the topic, I wasn't saying that will be the case, but if your standing over the side waiting to get the kill thats PERFECTLY FINE if we all can see that someone was thrown out...it's part of the game, and the judges can see that your playing.

But IF you just sitting there playing with your taunts and your partner is doing 100% of the work then I'm sure the Judges are gonna give u a count down...

Really dude, I don't see why this somthing to be worried about your the only person who seems to have a problem understanding this rule....actually your thinking too much into it.

It's pretty simple to understand, and to be honest I DOUBT you'll have any time to stall or camp around if the other team is coming right at you.

So seriously, don't stress about, it's just a rule thats there...thats all.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Still. You're limiting the way people play. I'm aggressive as hell, so this doesn't apply to me. Just saying.

Burn

Smash Cadet
Heh, well it's great to know your the aggressive type then, I'll look forward in seeing you in Action!

BTW- Information has been Updated!

Inui

Banned via Warnings
~Stages will vary in each round.

Here is a list of stages that will be used:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Delfino Plaza
Smashville
Yoshi's Story
Lylat Cruise
Halberd
Luigi's Mansion
Castle Siege
Spear Pillar
Frigate Orpheon
Bridge of Eldin
New Pork City
Hyrule Temple (Melee)
What the hell does this mean? Stages will vary? Just set the neutrals to random, allow each team/person to ban one stage for the set, and then allow counterpicking.

Spear Pillar, Frigate Orpheon, New Pork City, and Hyrule Temple must be banned.

I also completely agree with everything Brandon posted.

I'm not attending this without real rules in place. Not scrub rules.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
PLLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSSSEEEE take new pork city, hyrule temple, and spear pillar off of the levels. they are all absolutely terrible. the rest are ok. do you realize theres a hazard on spear pillar that reverses controls? so u hit left and u move right and vice versa.

for teams you dont have to be as leniant with the camping situation, especially if hyrule and new pork are banned.

Burn

Smash Cadet
To make it even we'll be removing the camping and stalling rule in exchange we will keep the said maps but as counter picks.

This is whats gonna happen, if you guys seriously think the stages are bad to choose then vote for 1 or 2 of the stages to be removed, with supporting reasons...simple as that.

~The main reasons for Hyrule Temple was simply because it's been a Melee favorite and it's a large scale stage, same thoughts for New Pork City since it was large. As for Frigate Orpheon you guys would seriously have to figure out a better reason to why this stage should be banned, It's tournament friendly stage...it's just with moving platforms and a split of a second flip of a stage which really does nothing to effect the match.

But Spear Pillar, I can understand would be alittle hard to work around with...But it was picked because of the odds, and how well you've study that kind of stage, because the key there is the element of surprise to see if all the teams are ready for it plus the space as well.

If whoever your brawling with is unaware of it, then I think your pretty luckly to know how the stage works, and that means easy win for ya!

Now, let me explain alittle more on what Sadaharu Inui asked about with the "stages will vary" deal....Basicly it's another way of saying those stages will be placed on Random and counter picking will be in effect. I've updated the list and The 3 un wanted stages were placed in the Counter Picks...

@GOTM
It'll be both Brawl Teams and Singles

As for Melee, it hasn't been arranged as of yet, seeing only a small number of people requested it should be there, and we're trying to bring with the new and out with the Old kinda thing...that way new Pros and Semi pros can take the stage.

But i'll update you guys if anything does pop up, it's still a whole month away.

Thanks alot guys!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
this tourneys lookin nicer, im glad your taking peoples advice here. if i can find a way to go id like to. as for voting stages to be banned, im still against spear pillar hyrule temple and new pork city.

spear pillar - not only are giant giant laser beams that do massive damage and a underground area that makes it very easy to camp on the stage, the controls reversing is completely inexcusable. it completely messes up the game and confuses the crap out of you in the middle of an intense match.

hyrule temple - this stage is far too big, especially when you dont want camping to happen. i really doubt you could even get one kill on this stage in 2-3 minutes in some instances. since your trying to get everything to run as fast and efficient as possible, its not logical to use at all.

new pork city - same reason for being big like hyrule, but its even bigger!!! not only that, but theres also a monster that appears that either does 100% or 200% damage by touching it, and can most of the time do an instant kill. yea, thats not cool.... lol

Eggm

Smash Hero
I just realized this is only 4 hours. :( You should talk to him about opening it earlier for the tournament, if you can get it up to like 8 hours and run both events, this could be amazing, NJ is like a meeting spot for NY/PA, and we could get a lot of people to come since you have the space.

Burn

Smash Cadet
Update: New Pork City has been removed, and Halberd is Only a Counter pick from this point on...

To be honest a few hrs. earlier would be nice, if I know for sure ppl are going to show up from diffrent places maybe we can bump it back maybe an hour or 2 more...I can't really promise anything seeing how I'm not sure of the number of people that will be showing up...so extending my hours would effect the rent of the venue as well...

Not only this but, let me put this out on the open then, see Flyers were made for this event and handed all out a few hrs. before Brawls release at diffrent Game Stops and Game Crazy locations...IF by any chance someone randomly didn't know of the smashboards, or even check the website for updates...then don't ya think those ppl would be missing out... (and yes I already thought about it being their own stupid faults for not checking the website anyways)

BUT If we changed the hours back and people start coming in at 6:30-7ish..wanting to sign up while we're in the middle of the tournament WHAT DO WE DO? The only thing I can think of is letting them jump in the middle of the tournament, or start a new set using them, and use the entry fees as the prizes 50% pot....it's an idea, and honestly this is somthing I think we need to figure out as well...If we will be doing this...

If you guys got any comments regarding this Hour change deal, then please state it. Cause this might get some people upset when they come through those doors and noticed they're walking in the middle of it...when they wanted to be there 1st to learn all the details, practice, and be able to relax and have a good time.

The other thing I was thinking about was some of the organizers of the event do work on Sat. till like 5-6ish... It's myself and a few others that are off on that day, so we'll be short on help if we bump'd it back some.

Well I would love to know what you guys would think about all of this...Thanks!

PRiDE

Smash Lord
lolol... and this is why I will never host a Smash tourn.. The crap you must deal with to make everyone happy. Yay ROT8.. lol

Eggm

Smash Hero
Update: New Pork City has been removed, and Halberd is Only a Counter pick from this point on...

To be honest a few hrs. earlier would be nice, if I know for sure ppl are going to show up from diffrent places maybe we can bump it back maybe an hour or 2 more...I can't really promise anything seeing how I'm not sure of the number of people that will be showing up...so extending my hours would effect the rent of the venue as well...

Not only this but, let me put this out on the open then, see Flyers were made for this event and handed all out a few hrs. before Brawls release at diffrent Game Stops and Game Crazy locations...IF by any chance someone randomly didn't know of the smashboards, or even check the website for updates...then don't ya think those ppl would be missing out... (and yes I already thought about it being their own stupid faults for not checking the website anyways)

BUT If we changed the hours back and people start coming in at 6:30-7ish..wanting to sign up while we're in the middle of the tournament WHAT DO WE DO? The only thing I can think of is letting them jump in the middle of the tournament, or start a new set using them, and use the entry fees as the prizes 50% pot....it's an idea, and honestly this is somthing I think we need to figure out as well...If we will be doing this...

If you guys got any comments regarding this Hour change deal, then please state it. Cause this might get some people upset when they come through those doors and noticed they're walking in the middle of it...when they wanted to be there 1st to learn all the details, practice, and be able to relax and have a good time.

The other thing I was thinking about was some of the organizers of the event do work on Sat. till like 5-6ish... It's myself and a few others that are off on that day, so we'll be short on help if we bump'd it back some.

Well I would love to know what you guys would think about all of this...Thanks!
Well, I realize you need more people to pay for the venue fee, but unless theres at least 8 hours people aren't going to drive more than like, 30 minutes to get here for only singles OR doubles which is all you can MAYBE run in 4 hours.

Edit : Theres also a fairly large amount of time before this tournament happens so, you could just use updated flyers for the people outside of this website.

Burn

Smash Cadet
I understand well what your trying to say but please take note, we actually have the place till 12, so that gives 5 hrs. of play.

And BTW- creating updated flyers would cost once again and then finding people and places to give it when that certain night was perfect to give to smashers out side of the site.

All I can think of doing is #1 - Having more set ups, to speed up things. Or #2 - having a Back-2-Back tournament were a few hrs. before the advertise tournament we hold another tournament and then right after that we hold the advertise one....

duo962

Smash Rookie
The people organizing this tournament are taking their chances that anyone will show up at all. There's barely anyone doing Smash Brothers tournaments in South Jersey...Game Crazy had a few, and that was with no real consequence if no one showed up, as they weren't paying for space.

If you're seeing this, show up for it. If enough people show up, they'll be able to spread the word and make the next one longer. Nothing's perfect the first time around...Otakon's first years were with ~100 people in a small hotel. So do it with this, too.

They've already listed that 1st place is 40-50% the entrance fees, and second is 10-20%. That barely leaves them enough to even pay for the renting of the space, depending on how many people come. They're taking a risk, so support them.

Burn

Smash Cadet
The people organizing this tournament are taking their chances that anyone will show up at all. There's barely anyone doing Smash Brothers tournaments in South Jersey...Game Crazy had a few, and that was with no real consequence if no one showed up, as they weren't paying for space.

If you're seeing this, show up for it. If enough people show up, they'll be able to spread the word and make the next one longer. Nothing's perfect the first time around...Otakon's first years were with ~100 people in a small hotel. So do it with this, too.

They've already listed that 1st place is 40-50% the entrance fees, and second is 10-20%. That barely leaves them enough to even pay for the renting of the space, depending on how many people come. They're taking a risk, so support them.
Well thank you for your support. Every help does count.

BTW - Guys If you don't feel like E-mailing to Pre-Reg. then Just post here OR PM me, I'll make sure your name's are placed on the Pre-Reg. list, just give me... ur Nick Name - Partner's name - Team Name - And then state if your for Both tournaments or just Team battle.

We really need to know who is coming and who isn't, just so that we don't set up TOO few of stations...just in case.

Thanks!

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I'd like to say thankyou Burn for hosting a Brawl tourney so early in the game's lifetime. Also, I pray you will be able to come to agreements with everyone's mindsets on rules on the boards. Good luck.

I may come btw.

Burn

Smash Cadet
I'd like to say thankyou Burn for hosting a Brawl tourney so early in the game's lifetime. Also, I pray you will be able to come to agreements with everyone's mindsets on rules on the boards. Good luck.

I may come btw.
Well Thank you for your comment...

In regards to the rules with everyone, it seems like the hours for this one is going to stay the same, However, we'll set up atlest 4 stations, Plus I can see the 3 counter pick stages being removed soon...so basicly nothing to really worry about.

Plus if we're setting up more stations then that means No 4 way elimination for the singles...I'll post what ever ends up getting changed soon.

But anyways, Thanks again Keitaro, Hope to see you there along with everyone else!

Deathknight

Smash Ace
Yeah, seriously get rid of Temple, Spear Pillar, and Frigate. I'd like to see Pokemon Stadium Melee added though. As far as I know, it's considered a neutral stage and is a fair stage to play on. Also, 3 stock 3 minutes for team matches? Are you crazy? 3 minutes is nowhere near enough time for a team match. Make it at least 5 or 6 minutes.

Burn

Smash Cadet
Updated:

Stages Removed:
Frigate Orpheon
Delfino Plaza
Hyrule Temple
Spear Pillar
Halberd

Stages Added:
Shadow Moses Island

Reasons-
Delfino Plaza has been now removed due to finding mass amount of glitches that suck you into the buildings while the platform moves down into it.

Frigate Orpheon was removed due to when you are re-spawning in some cases when the stage flips you get caught under without even having a chance to move out.

Hyrule Temple was removed due to the amount of votes to remove it and it was seen as a bother some cheap level for the below area to keep recovering over and over again. Thus making it un-skillfull and campable as well. Plus other reasons...(thank u)

Halberd was removed because of the Lazer beam and blue bombs.

Spear Pillar is was removed off the list due to the amount of votes and the open variables to the stage.

Shadow Moses Island was added to list because it's been seen as a fair stage.

Thank you all for your time, and understanding...I hope this will help!

Burn

Smash Cadet
Also, 3 stock 3 minutes for team matches? Are you crazy? 3 minutes is nowhere near enough time for a team match. Make it at least 5 or 6 minutes.
This has been now updated with 5mins per Team battle match...I hope this will help.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Shadow Moses Island must be banned. Dedede is unbeatable there since he can infinite chaingrab almost every character against the wall, or just kill them when the wall is gone by chaingrabbing them to the sides. Fox also can infinite shine people on the walls.

Halberd is fair because you can instantly smash DI out of the laser and take very little damage and have no risk of dying, and the bomb is telegraphed like crazy.

Delfino is fine. Those glitches are actually very rare. It's like PokeFloats from Melee except less gay, is all.

Burn

Smash Cadet
Shadow Moses Island must be banned. Dedede is unbeatable there since he can infinite chaingrab almost every character against the wall, or just kill them when the wall is gone by chaingrabbing them to the sides. Fox also can infinite shine people on the walls.

Halberd is fair because you can instantly smash DI out of the laser and take very little damage and have no risk of dying, and the bomb is telegraphed like crazy.

Delfino is fine. Those glitches are actually very rare. It's like PokeFloats from Melee except less gay, is all.

Shadow Moses has been Removed, however, Delfino Plaza will not be placed back in simply because we rather not deal with the problems of the glitches showing up, and slowing down the event. It's better to avoid as many problems as possible, even if it's not that big of a deal, that way less things to worry about.

Instead, we might just have custom flat stages added so we have diffrent fair stages to choose from. Of course, we'll show you the guys stages at the event, and before we add them you guys pick and choose if you like those to be added to the list.

I think that's a pretty good idea, considering how we only have 8 good stages without anything seriously going on in each, so why not extend the list with 2 or 3 more flat good made stages. And if you guys vote for all of them not to be in it, then sure, none of them gets to be placed in it.

Burn

Smash Cadet
Just a few hours to go!!!

Everything is pretty much set in stone, besides the deal with the custom stages being used, and the amount of prize being given. But other than that, I'm sure it's going to be a fun and great night for all the Brawlers!

Well to those who will be coming GOOD LUCK! HOPE TO SEE YOU!

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
heyyy, that was actually pretty good, managing everything mostly on your own is tough, the tourny in the future could run a lot smoother though, overall, it was a fun experience and more people should come to this, next one is at may 10th, oh and im def bringing m2k next time, that'll shut up the noobs that were there today talking **** about melee people can't be good at brawl, btw, the finalists were all good melee competitors

Velocity

Smash Lord
heyyy, that was actually pretty good, managing everything mostly on your own is tough, the tourny in the future could run a lot smoother though, overall, it was a fun experience and more people should come to this, next one is at may 10th, oh and im def bringing m2k next time, that'll shut up the noobs that were there today talking **** about melee people can't be good at brawl, btw, the finalists were all good melee competitors
im mean why would ne one be taking him but me only reason i didnt bring cause i was running super late and wouldnt even have been able to make it in time if i got him.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Results n Stuff

Cool Tourney, congrats to Titans of Smash cause were amazing lol.

Me and MexiMadnez split 1st place prize although we still played it out for fun and Mexi won 2-1. I know the main website for the tourney is updating with a lot of stuff like pics and videos and stuff, but I wasn't sure what they were doing in terms of full results, so I drew up towards the end of bracket that I remember for everyone who is here on SmashBoards. There were a few rounds before the ones I have, but I mainly just focused on us SmashBoarders for ranking purposes.

Feedback (since its important for new tourneys to have feedback and also the director asked ppl to do so)

First off, I like the small things this tourney had like the free stickers at the doors, the custom made wall scrolls, recorded videos to be on the website, and pictures of the winners at the end. They were nice touches that not many tourneys go out of their way for.

HOWEVER, this is not saying that there are a good deal of problems with this tourney...

1. Only 4 TVs, but it's not a big problem. Afterall, the first Clash of the Titans only had 4 TV due to complications. Just a thing to look out for in the future.

2. Start earlier if possible. The tourney ran till like 1am which is pretty late... and 6:30pm for reg time was different and sorta cool, but earlier would help. Give more than a half hour for reg especially at a big place like a bowling alley.

3. Get a bigger venue if possible. It's cool, but the room was a lil small. It may not be possible to get a bigger venue, it wasn't bad, but in the future it's a thing to look out for.

4. Watch the stages and rules. Luigi's Mansion just simply isn't a neutral stage lol. Also, you're supposed to add a plethora of legal stages that are counterpick, but that aren't neutral (random). Sudden Death rules should be different. Don't play the sudden death. Person with more stocks, or less percent if stocks are the same win. This prevents people from camping to get to sudden death.

5. DO DOUBLES THEN SINGLES. I can't stress this enough. Do not run both at the same time. You run into too many issues with one teammate being in a singles match or someone up for singles is in a doubles match. However, most importantly, you have to play different for singles and doubles. Switching between the two constantly really messes people up, and really affected my play early on in doubles. For instance, I use many projectiles in singles, and I can't in doubles in fear of hitting my teammate, especially with things like ROB's piercing lasers which go through anything and gyros that sit there. It's really a whole new way to play, and for some, playing different characters.

6. DO DOUBLE ELIMINATION! I talked to the director after the tourney about this, and he believes Single Elim is fine and doesn't think double is a good idea. And he also argues that we can't seed by skill (though he did seed by crews tonight which helped) however we really can. There have been a good amount of brawl tourneys over the past month or 2 and we really are getting a good idea of whos good and not. Obviously there are plenty of new players which we don't know how to seed, so they're done randomly. However you have to make sure people like Inui, Velocity, myself, and Mexi (to name a few), don't play each other early.

7. Don't take so much money out of the pot.... seriously. I mean, I understand theres gonna be things like venue fees, or stuff for equipment, but like... Singles for instance. There were a lil over 60 ppl to my knowledge, and if each paid $5, that yields a pot of $300. Only first and second got paid (another reason why double elim is good, you can safely pay out top 3, or even top 5 if you have enough people), first got $50 and second got $25. That leaves $225 left for everything else. I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but that means some of the tourney runners definitely pocketed some money. That's not cool. Run smash tourneys for the love of the game, not to make money. Never pocket any money for yourself, ever. And if you must, try to make it less obvious than only paying $75 from a $300 pot lol. Or if worst comes to worst, charge a $5 entrance seperate from singles and doubles fee, but have the singles and doubles fee go 100% back to prizes. I would have loved to win $100 (or $150 from splitting) from singles instead of the $35 I got from splitting lol.

I appreciate the time the director took to talk to me and others after the tourney about how it ran, but a lot of his views contrasted with ours. However you really have to realize, we're all from SmashBoards, we all run tournaments all the time, we all attend tournaments, and there really are set standards to tournaments.

We all know what we're doing, and we're all here to help ya out. We love to see new tournaments appear on the scene, and we just like them to be ran as best as possible.

Also, regarding Inui... Inui is an idiot, and I can understand why the director wants to ban him from the next tourney. Inui, you're an idiot for telling him his tourney is crap, keep ur opinions to yourself or SmashBoards lol. It's his first tourney. However IMO, don't "ban" Inui. Plus, it was fun seeing him lose to Mexi. Some people are idiots, but it's the bigger person that doesn't retaliate by banning him (in this situation).

Also, we were supposed to get certificates lol, I didn't get one. I'd like to go to the next tourney and espeically see it be a lot better (please take my advice, along with others (also read Choco's post)). However, if there's any other tourney the same day, I'm goin there lol. Other tourneys are simply just better (trying to give you a hint that how you run the tourney will really affect outcome in the long run lol). Also, if you wanna meet M2K and have him go to your tourney, I dunno if he'll wanna go to a single elim tourney with such a small payout haha.

Please don't take this all as hate on the tourney tho lol. It was mad fun, I'm glad I went. I just want the next one to be AMAZING lol.

Beat

Smash Ace
I had a great time to be honest. Okay, so it was cramped and hot, but still fun, and the room outside the tourney room was cold as hell, so you could cool off.

Just some notes from a Melee tournament goer to improve on an already great venue:
-Have double elimination brackets. There's a program called TIA that makes tournament brackets and makes everything easier. You don't have to print anything out either, you can do it on the laptop. Double elimination is more fair for people who get screwed on bad match-ups. Okay, sure, there are ways to overcome bad match-ups, but honestly? Sometimes it's just really bad, and you shouldn't get eliminated over it.
-More time for the venue, maybe somewhere cheaper?
-Definitely more set-ups, if possible. You could tell potential players something like "half-off your entrance fee if you bring a Wii or a television early before the tournament starts!" Or enter them in your raffle for free.
-I honestly think Luigi's Mansion is a counterpick only, and Eldin is banable because Dedede can chaingrab most characters across the bridge to their death. You shouldn't be killed for getting grabbed only once. It's silly. (I didn't lose because of this, btw, as I didn't play any DDD's in singles, but I'd feel bad for those who did).
-Follow more typical tournament rules and make it so instead of having to do Sudden Death, you either make it a 1-stock, 0% match on the same stage, or simply the person with the least percentage when time runs out wins. I mean, not to be cocky, but the people who did really well in singles and teams also felt the Sudden Death rule was silly. I don't think that's a coincedence.
-Most tourney directors make zero profit unless they enter and win. I know Chibo never has with his tournaments... That came out as an insult instead of the compliment about how he never pockets money. I dunno, I felt like first in doubles usually pays more than 50 for a tournament with so many teams... If the venue was the like... 500 bucks that didn't go to the winners, then I'd consider looking for a more fiscally managable tournament venue, friendos.

I am not attacking this tournament, though. I had a blast, anyone who saw me there knows it. Boco made some bucks thanks to Velocity, and he's pleased! ^__^ I encourage more Brawlers to attend this venue, it just had a great aura about it (pardon the Lucaripun). Also, the stickers? Amazing. My cat has never looked cooler.

However, if you want to make it more fair, I think this is the route to go. Again, thanks for the spectacular time! If you wanna discuss the suggestions I made, feel free to IM me. Please dun be mad I made them, though ^.^;

Take the criticism in stride, you're new to the Smash scene. There are old veterans around like us who only want to help the Brawl game develop. We know that running a tournament is frustrating, we really do. We've all ran or helped run tournaments at some point. The key to doing it successfully is to simply take the praise and criticisms evenly. Learn what's good, what isn't, and have the willingness to change accordingly.

...like how people who played Ganon in Melee are changing characters. Because Ganon sucks in Brawl. lulz.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Also, regarding Inui... Inui is an idiot, and I can understand why the director wants to ban him from the next tourney. Inui, you're an idiot for telling him his tourney is crap, keep ur opinions to yourself or SmashBoards lol. It's his first tourney. However IMO, don't "ban" Inui. Plus, it was fun seeing him lose to Mexi. Some people are idiots, but it's the bigger person that doesn't retaliate by banning him (in this situation).
I'm not an idiot. I'm just an immature jerk that doesn't care if he offends people. I knew exactly what I was talking about, and people like you and Velocity feel the same way. You two just aren't vocal jerks like I am.

This was one of the most poorly run tournaments I've ever attended. The only intelligent thing done was having singles and doubles ran at the same time so that the scrubs would be cleared out early because there wasn't enough space. This was actually smart given the situation.

The stage rules are absurd. Halberd and Delfino are perfectly fair counterpick stages. Eldin, one of the most broken and unfair stages in the game by far and away, was on random. A counterpick stage, Luigi's mansion, was on random. We apparently couldn't counterpick the old Melee stages that weren't banned, such as Green Greens.

Single elimination is terrible. You will not draw people from longer distances with a single elimination tournament. It's not worth it to drive an hour and randomly fight the best player and lose instantly. Start at least two or three hours earlier, have at least two extra set-ups, be more strict with stopping casuals, and call matches more promptly, and you can run a double elimination tournament just fine. Single elimination is extremely unfair. Velocity is an amazing player and he placed low because I beat him early on. If this was double elimination and seeded, he and I would have both had top three for sure due to being able to come up from losers, and the results would more accurately reflect the skill of the players that attended. I would have had another chance to fight Mexi, maybe, and actually learn how to fight his strange character trio that nobody uses.

The hosts of this tournament need to respect known players. I was so offended that I simply left the room when you called that scrub Cross the real player over me. I'm ranked 5th in this state for Melee right now and was once 3rd in my prime, I got 2nd in singles and teams at a major Brawl tournament in Texas, I took out Wes and almost beat ChuDat and got top 8 at EVO East last year in Melee, and I was once ranked 10th in the tristate area. Even after quitting for over a month and not trying that hard, I stayed at 15th in the tristate. I'm not some random scrub. I've been on Smashboards a long time. What has Cross done? Probably nothing, because I don't see him here, and never saw him at Melee tournaments. He's not even good at Brawl. He got crushed today by a player not as good as me in both Smash games. I don't care how much you don't like me as a person, you will respect me and other known and good players as players or we won't come to your events or get others to come. I could potentially bring about 6 or 7 other players with me, but I'm not going to if you're going to have bad rules and not respect known players. We're the ones that both win and bring others there.

-Have double elimination brackets. There's a program called TIA that makes tournament brackets and makes everything easier. You don't have to print anything out either, you can do it on the laptop. Double elimination is more fair for people who get screwed on bad match-ups. Okay, sure, there are ways to overcome bad match-ups, but honestly? Sometimes it's just really bad, and you shouldn't get eliminated over it.
-I honestly think Luigi's Mansion is a counterpick only, and Eldin is banable because Dedede can chaingrab most characters across the bridge to their death. You shouldn't be killed for getting grabbed only once. It's silly. (I didn't lose because of this, btw, as I didn't play any DDD's in singles, but I'd feel bad for those who did).
-Follow more typical tournament rules and make it so instead of having to do Sudden Death, you either make it a 1-stock, 0% match on the same stage, or simply the person with the least percentage when time runs out wins. I mean, not to be cocky, but the people who did really well in singles and teams also felt the Sudden Death rule was silly. I don't think that's a coincedence.
Extra emphasis on this stuff, too. Good job, Choco.

Velocity, you're amazing and I didn't deserve that second win the way I got it. It would have went either way if you didn't kill yourself, and I generally enjoy the thrill of playing you. I hope our next set is more epic.

In conclusion, if you don't fix the rules and make it double elimination, I'm not coming, and I won't be bringing my crew and friends. It's certainly not my loss if I don't drive an hour to a frustrating tournament that's only single elimination. However, it's your loss if you get less people to come because you get less attention and less money.

Top Bottom