• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R1ngo's MK . Combo vid up!

Kiryu

Smash Rookie
Just wanna add a few more things after watching more vids.

Down throw is your best friend. The forward throw is nice to get some space between you, but the options from the down throw are so numerous that I almost never use any other throw except the back throw when I need to get the other guy off the stage. Also, 11 damage is nothing to sneeze at.

On low percentages Downthrow can set up for an easy U-Smash or Uptilt into Upsmash. On just about any percent you can down throw, start the Mach Tornado and chase them, you'll almost always be able to catch them. The bounce from the D-throw is also great for chasing with fairs and dairs, the latter is really hand if you dthrow near the end of the stage as the knockback on that move can throw the opponent far from the stage and way below the edge, making it easier for you to chase them without wasting jumps.

Also, if you get knocked away by the other guys assault, consider drill rushing into them. Countless times I've been knocked away and drill rushed right into my opponent. It keeps them from setting the pace of the match and gets you in close to them or knocks them away so you can chase them off the stage/into dthrows/tilts/fairs. The way it instantly stops the knockback on moves and shoots you into the other guy is too much to pass up. With practice you can accuratly come back from the stage and from far flinging moves to **** with the drill rush before they know what is up.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
yup, don't own a wii, just play with friends on theirs, but thanks for the tips kiryu i'll try to add in the drill rush a bit more,

Rawrness

Smash Journeyman
Try dashattack -> upsmash or dash -> upsmash

it knocks them up pretty high. dont know what that'd do but yeahh..

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
there is a wii here but i dont' know how long it's staying haha it's not mine and no one else in the house is very good, except dan, but when he loses 2 or 3 in a row he doesn't want to play anymore

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
Hey i just noticed.... in set 5 of doubles at 0:42 i found that down throw has SAF's, i take damage but go no where, i don't think it will have much utility other than in doubles but i think its pertinent to announce it anyways

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
it's gonna turn into the new best way to kill shrink in doubles.... btw, gimme a call and tell me when the trny is for sure, i dont' remember if its the 30th or the 31st, i need to know when so i get it off work, also gimme a call and come visit so we can do some brawling, i am having withdrawls

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
it's gonna turn into the new best way to kill shrink in doubles.... btw, gimme a call and tell me when the trny is for sure, i dont' remember if its the 30th or the 31st, i need to know when so i get it off work, also gimme a call and come visit so we can do some brawling, i am having withdrawls
lols me too - the tourney is the 31st - i don't think we can get another before then but i'll keep looking

D

Deleted member

hmmm "u" put up a new set for me to see since youve gotten some good advice so far =D

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
hmmm "u" put up a new set for me to see since youve gotten some good advice so far =D
This is kinda fanboy ish of me - but I immediately hate Tru= b/c every single mk that I play that knows how to play the character learned from watching your mk video...

p.s. - taught a friend of mine how to make squirtle really mean too :) - quit making quality videos :D...unless they are of characters that I use ;)

D

Deleted member

This is kinda fanboy ish of me - but I immediately hate Tru= b/c every single mk that I play that knows how to play the character learned from watching your mk video...

p.s. - taught a friend of mine how to make squirtle really mean too :) - quit making quality videos :D...unless they are of characters that I use ;)
T__T me sorries hahaha

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Very solid Meta Knight.

I'd say you need to mix up your approaches a bit, you seem to either dash attack in or fair in always. Try working the tornado in there, it's such a great move and with proper control it's pretty simple to keep yourself from being punished. If it looks like you won't be able to hit with the final strike that does knockback just get away from them and stay close to the ground to avoid fall special. Also, on the topic of FAIR, I noticed particularly in the last video that you stay in the air and keep letting fly FAIRs even when the opponent isn't in range/dodged the first one. I personally don't like giving up my jumps and try to conserve them as much as I can lest I get hit far off the stage with only 1/2 jumps and shuttle loop. Try getting back down to the ground to land forward tilts/tornado or chase them with the drill rush. Since he's on the ground and you're above, drill rushing him into the stage will get you on top of him in a heart beat, rack up the hits, and since you're drilling into the stage you won't have a lot of recovery time.

I'd try short hopping in and airdodging into a foward tilt on the ground. It's really nasty and the knockback can set up for more forward tilts or the forward air. Using the Tornado as an approach is helpful too.

Also, I've found approaching with short-hopped DAIRs is fantastic. The horizontal knockback on that move tosses them off the stage and below it. Makes it real simple to gimp tether recovers or let them get close to the edge and dair again. I'm able to consistently DAIR my friend's pit into the stage which spikes him down to die.

Another tip, when you're hanging on the ledge, rather then shuttle loop back on the stage, try the drill rush. If the opponent is close to you he'll take multiple hits and a lot of time they stand back just far enough to get the sweet spot. It also plows through most moves and if you angle it down the recovery time is nothing to worry about.

Great work, looking forward to seeing more MK from you
This might be more with mindgames than an approach, but starting a dash, as if to dash attack, then using dimensional cape backwards can always throw someone off. Finding uses for all those underrated moves can help with approaches, no matter how illogical or unheard of it might be.

Also, approaching with a glide attack can lead to a lot of options. U-smash/f-tilt/d-smash/d-tilt to name a few.

IR.O.B.edC.Falcon

Smash Apprentice
I just want to say try coming with SOMETHING other than shuttle loop from the ledge. fair, nair, mix it up a bit

EDIT: overall very solid

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
A bit predictable, but you were improving relatively quickly. Umm, switch up the approach too. And shuttle more. It's a great move that has great knockback even with a bit of decay. Not to mention you can replenish it with your fair spamming you like to do. Don't forget to take advantage of Metaknight's wonderful paucity of hitstun and Tornado less. Like almost never. I'd recommend usage only for a sure off the top kill. But hey, that's just me.

Good luck... and keep improving

sandaman

Smash Cadet
ur a really good metaknight r1ngo, but one thing, u should try to use dair more, its sposed to be like one of the best combo moves for meta, u watched tru= vid? he uses it a lot its a really good chain atk. But other than that ur a sick mk.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
that's why I counterpick your mk to my olly :D...eat pikmin!!
Eating pikmin isn't as easy as it sounds.... there's not sure gravy to put on the potatoes, turkey doesn't fit, beef feels like overkill, and chicken is just out of the question

ckm

Smash Journeyman
id like to see some more recent 1vs1s R1ngo. 2vs2 play is so different, and the 1v1 vids you posted are old.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
id like to see some more recent 1vs1s R1ngo. 2vs2 play is so different, and the 1v1 vids you posted are old.
probably won't get any 1v1's posted until the first or second week of june, shrink fwulf and nold are not living in the same town as i am right now, we are gonna start playing agian ALOT in June, maybe shrink and i will get some vids from MN on the 31st but there won't be any before that... so i've really just owning my noob roomates and playing lvl 9 comps... i'm bored and having withdrawls from brawl and i have been lurking the boards like a pedofile lurks a playground

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
probably won't get any 1v1's posted until the first or second week of june, shrink fwulf and nold are not living in the same town as i am right now, we are gonna start playing agian ALOT in June, maybe shrink and i will get some vids from MN on the 31st but there won't be any before that... so i've really just owning my noob roomates and playing lvl 9 comps... i'm bored and having withdrawls from brawl and i have been lurking the boards like a pedofile lurks a playground
I NEED TO PLAY REAL PEOPLE - I played a friend of mine for an hour last night - the kills were 65 - 20 :(...if we can convince Ode to show up - maybe we can get some singles up the 21st??? I dunno - i just NEED to get some brawling in...

juantendo8

Smash Cadet
An overall very solid Meta. I only have 2 suggestions. They are both related to varying your approaches. First of all, vary your ground approach more with aerials and ground attacks. Fair, Dair, Dtilt, side tilt, occasionally a glide attack. Of course dash and dash grabs too, but be wary of when you use them because they are more easily punished.

Second, also vary your ledge approach. I see you doing almost exclusively the shuttle loop which is alright, but don't use the glide attack so much. It was becoming very predictable and it is easy to punish when you know its coming. Instead, add some fairs, uairs, dair if you can come from above. Also dont be afraid to use mach tornado occasionaly also. Meta has so much to work with, you can constantly keep your opponent guessing.

Keep practicing, and I look forward to seeing an even better Meta than the great one that you've got now.

angelspe3d

Smash Journeyman
in doubles.... u need to well how can i say this...
DONT HIT YOUR FRIEND!!! lol
when i play meta in doubles i play super conservative....
i see it is im guna build the damage hes guna get the kiill
also.... what you want or i... want to do ... when 1 of them is at say 150 percent the others at 0 percent.... you need to straight ride on one of there BRAWLS.... like stick all over him untile the guy at 150 is killed... in other words.... get them apart so its like 2 1v1s .... namean???

McBadass

Smash Rookie
Use ur neutral b less. Its a great move, but by over reliance you won't learn to use any of his other good moves. Plus of course the fact that it eventually does no damage. Also, try forward smash. People don't like it because of its start up lag, but this can be used to ur advantage as a mind game as well as the fact that this is one of the few kill moves that meta has. Anyway, dec job and glad to c ur not some gay *** b spammer.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
i suicide alot in friendlies b/c they are friendlies, i'm pretty cautious in trnys, sometimes i hit the wrong button or am just being too aggressive , but definately a good tip, thank u

Top Bottom