• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Video Archive thread

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
More of my ROB, critique would be fantastic!

The players you fought never punished accordingly, but you were too predictable with your n-airs as you landed, and for some reason you kept trying to follow up d-tilt at percentages where it generated knockback with f-air instead of dash attack (which is an actual combo). At lower percents, d-tilt to grab is good to use because it conditions shields. If your opponent catches on and has a fast enough jab to attack you out of DA or dash grab, you can d-tilt spam until they roll away, which you can punish with Gyro if it's charged enough. Don't be afraid to be in an opponent's face, R.O.B. can still box.

Otherwise you did well with zoning out your opponents, knowing when to d-air them as they recovered, punishing rolls with down smash, punishing aggression out of shield, and punishing bad shield habits with grabs. In your next video you should try jab 1 -> grab, it works at low percents only if your opponent: 1) doesn't fall fast enough to land and immediately jab, like Fox or Falcon, 2) doesn't have a fast enough aerial to use before R.O.B. can grab, or 3) panics and commits to a laggy aerial or puts up their shield or air dodges into the ground (this makes it pretty easy to land). It's pretty much guaranteed at higher (kill) percents due to the added hit lag and is the main way R.O.B. can kill with u-throw outside of just outright grabbing them, which can be telegraphed/conditioned and avoided/punished. To cancel the grab you can either wait for the jab 1 animation to finish and press Z or you can hold the shield button and grab the moment you see the shield ring form around R.O.B.'s body.

I would add that you should try to pivot grab or pivot f-tilt to punish bad landings (latter works very well against characters with command grabs) in the next video as well.

Oh and tech more, you probably didn't do it because of the lag but R.O.B. gets ****ed if he doesn't tech, much harder than the rest of the cast since his hurtbox while laying down is still huge. You can see it's a problem because the Mario you fought in the first video was able to down smash you when you landed (that might be a bad example since Mario's d-smash hits everything, but moves like WFT's f-smash and Ganon's Wizard's Foot to name a few can hit R.O.B. while he's laying down). I prefer teching in place since it allows me to act more quickly, but if you're being harassed up close or at mid-range, rolling away or towards them (only if you know you'll end up behind them) may be the better options. It depends on who you're fighting tbh.

Also your match against that Robin in the second video actually showed up in the Replay Channel.

It's good I got to you first. The rest of the R.O.B.s here would have told you to just "Gyro more".

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Looking for critiques

https://youtu.be/mhf-9Ps47bI?t=2004 & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XySI4WNDruc

I'm the R.O.B, obviously. Our streamer is lazy so he just uploaded the tournament in parts, so my matches are at the beginning and end of 2 different parts. I start playing on the first link at around 33-34 ish minutes in. The second link starts mid match, and that game ends around 3 minutes in.

I just want to say, in that second match v pikachu I was cheesing really hard on that platform. I was trying to go for a suicide grab. I wouldn't have done this in a more serious match. Some things I've already noted:

• Side B is not a good or safe approach option
  • I should use tilts more often, instead of fsmash and usmash
  • I should dashgrab more for punishes, instead of dash attack.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Looking for critiques

https://youtu.be/mhf-9Ps47bI?t=2004 & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XySI4WNDruc

I'm the R.O.B, obviously. Our streamer is lazy so he just uploaded the tournament in parts, so my matches are at the beginning and end of 2 different parts. I start playing on the first link at around 33-34 ish minutes in. The second link starts mid match, and that game ends around 3 minutes in.

I just want to say, in that second match v pikachu I was cheesing really hard on that platform. I was trying to go for a suicide grab. I wouldn't have done this in a more serious match. Some things I've already noted:

• Side B is not a good or safe approach option
  • I should use tilts more often, instead of fsmash and usmash
  • I should dashgrab more for punishes, instead of dash attack.
Anyone?

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
Hello, fellow ROBs! I'm looking for advice against game and watch, I get absolutely wrecked by him! This MU seems to be a pain in ROB's circuits once again, at least for me, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. The match with the G&W starts around the 3h mark, and the next set against him is at 3:30; in between is a match against a Diddy Kong, if you would like to watch it and give me some pointers too that would be great.

http://www.twitch.tv/lugiacorp/b/648893224

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Looking for tips v Mario.

http://www.twitch.tv/mariopartytv/b/651295413?t=1h36m55s

Hello, fellow ROBs! I'm looking for advice against game and watch, I get absolutely wrecked by him! This MU seems to be a pain in ROB's circuits once again, at least for me, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. The match with the G&W starts around the 3h mark, and the next set against him is at 3:30; in between is a match against a Diddy Kong, if you would like to watch it and give me some pointers too that would be great.

http://www.twitch.tv/lugiacorp/b/648893224
FYI That's a dead link now.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I just made a R.O.B. compilation myself not too long ago, and since it's a video, I figured I'd just plop it here.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
https://youtu.be/80GV5DQCelY

A ditto match between me and an online friend. There's a couple of caveats I'd like to mention: firstly, we're pretty average players so don't expect top level play. I've only been to a couple of Smash 4 tournaments and all of his experience has been from playing FG and versus me over Wi-Fi. Also, this was an online set, though if memory serves there was very little delay. Finally, while it looks like I'm the stronger player (and I probably am), his ROB is easily his strongest character and regular takes matches off of me, even when I use my own ROB.

Anyways, any helpful critique for either of us would be welcome, I'll be happy to kick any relevant comments his way if they're directed towards his ROB and review the stuff meant for mine. I'm player 1 in the video, he's player 2.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Here's a video of me vs. Denti. I got outplayed, but the matches were closer than I thought they would be. All critiques are welcome.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Interesting match to watch.
Me vs Dabuz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tXQ_IwcJsE

It's nice seeing you being hard punished for one small option.
Game 2 might have seemed gross, but I quite enjoyed it. Gives me a lot of insight on what not to do next time. Live and learn boyz.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I just finished a sort-of-but-not-really-follow-up to my other R.O.B. video, so I'll put it here for you robots to check out.

onecrazycanadian

Smash Cadet
Hi all, recently finished first at Ottawa's local Smash 4 tourney, here is the stream link for the videos, and the times I played. It doesn't cover all the matches I played but winner's semis, winner's finals, and grand finals. I'll try and find other matches I played.

I'm new to using the boards so maybe I could time stamp these better.

http://www.twitch.tv/613smash/b/671587558

48:46 is ROB vs DDD
1:10:32 ROB vs FOX
1:39:32 ROB vs Diddy Grand Finals (best out of 3 for time issues)

I'm not the most mechanical player so I try to win through knowledge of characters, player styles, and stage choices.
Any critique is welcome :D

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
Hello fellow R.O.B.'s,

This is a vid of my play from the Anvil Smash #7 tourney (local tourney in Richmond, VA). I was hoping I could get some pointers on playing him (as well as my game in general), as I've played this guy's :4megaman: a couple times and just can't help but get bodied. He's a major obstacle for me as far as breaking into the top ten in this tournament. Help a fellow member of the ROBsquad out? Link below:

Winner's Round 3: STOB vs. Flopside

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
Hey @ KeithTheGeek KeithTheGeek ! Funny seeing you here. Here's a video of mine from the same tourney. Bodied his Fox, but he switched to Sheik and I didn't have an answer for him. Then I made the unfortunate decision to switch to Villager. Anyone have any suggestions for playing against a Sheik?

Anvil Smash Round 2 Winner's: STOB (ROB) vs. MrBadWolf (Fox, Sheik)

Also, Keith we should play some friendlies as ROB next Anvil Smash. (Great set against Treehouse by the way)

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I'm not super familiar with ROB vs Sheik so I can only really help with a few general things, but you seemed to fish for usmash a lot in that match. You also have to be careful when returning to stage, he picked up on the fact you were dropping off and then regrabbing without covering your ledge grab with an attack so he was able to snag the bair stage spike. I would also mix up defensive options some, you seemed to like going for dsmash immediately out of a dodge or going for air dodge a lot. Against Sheik, you have the 50/50 mix-up of either uair or up b as a follow up from a throw, and if Sheik correctly calls your air dodge you will lose your stock.

ROB is a big target so there's not much you can do about escaping her combos once Sheik gets in. I think you had the right idea about playing the zoning game, just try to keep Sheik out. Also don't counterpick to Smashville against Sheik, she can use the platform to extend her combos off the stage for an early kill. Town & City would have been better, if he hadn't striked it.

Also I would be down for some friendlies, but I'm going to be gone for a couple of weeks so it'll be a while before we can play.

Last edited:

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
Thanks for the advice man. Yeah not covering myself before that stage spike was honestly just me fat fingering the u-air. However, the d-smash out of the roll is a habit I know I need to break, and the air dodging is something that is pretty glaring about my game. Good call on not picking Smashville against Sheik as well. Honestly, I just have next to zero experience playing against a Sheik main and had no idea that Smashville was a big no-no. Now I know!

Thanks again man. See you in a couple weeks.

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva

Fighting my friend's DDD online. Feel free to love the way I took his second stock as much as I do.

Last edited:

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
Last edited:

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
That SD on Trevonte's first stock though. I think that's what the down-taunt is made for.
What stage of the tournament was this in? I don't believe he was ever on stream in the top 32.
Not sure, I happened to be on Twitter when Clash Tournaments tweeted this video.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
I guess these were recorded or saved replays but not streamed?

Based on the brackets, 8bitman vs Trevonte was the first round in losers of top 32. His next match against False was also recorded though it's a bit heartbreaking. Kind of lame that he had to play 2 top Sheiks back to back.

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
Found this vid of Mister Eric playing against WS | Boss. @ Mister Eric Mister Eric you were my hero after getting game 1 off of Boss. He comes to our local tourneys and just bodies everyone in his path. Speaking of which, you should come down to an Anvil Smash tourney sometime in Richmond, I had no idea you were from the area.

Video: Mister Eric vs. Boss

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Found this vid of Mister Eric playing against WS | Boss. @ Mister Eric Mister Eric you were my hero after getting game 1 off of Boss. He comes to our local tourneys and just bodies everyone in his path. Speaking of which, you should come down to an Anvil Smash tourney sometime in Richmond, I had no idea you were from the area.

Video: Mister Eric vs. Boss
o hey =] I just moved Monday. I'm from KY/OH
I live in Reston, VA now

And I would have played a lot better if I wasn't nervous.

Here's me vs Fatality. The guy who won Xanadu that night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhFl1qLhj_E

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
Wow that was one hell of a set. Loved the double SD in the first set, thought you had the second set wrapped up for sure. The way you chase with up-airs is godlike. Extremely well played.

Well if you ever decide to come down to an Anvil Smash let me know. We've got a pretty solid scene nowadays.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Wow that was one hell of a set. Loved the double SD in the first set, thought you had the second set wrapped up for sure. The way you chase with up-airs is godlike. Extremely well played.

Well if you ever decide to come down to an Anvil Smash let me know. We've got a pretty solid scene nowadays.
Awesome! Checking it out now. Do you do weeklies on Sundays?

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Yes, there's usually a tourney every Sunday, sign-ups are supposed to open at 12 (though I think they're late on that sometimes) while the tournament itself starts on 2:30 iirc. They also run a doubles bracket before singles starts.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Met a player by the name of Sup today at Smashcon. Pretty mean Bowser. He's from Richmond. Never been to a tourney before tho.

Top Bottom