• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Advanced Tech, Tactics, and Tips

Jity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitty_009
3DS FC
2363-6509-4817
AGT out of a Low Boost on stage is definitely possible, and is probably one of ROB's best options if he finds himself in that scenario, since it'll throw out a hitbox and pop him back into the air to do a boost with more options, or just fade-away Fair, or whatever the ROB feels like doing while in the air with his boosts.

You also do get your double jump back, meaning you can pop yourself back into the air even without an AGT, or that you can restore your double jump by boosting onto a platform without losing a beat. In short, it basically refreshes all of ROB's aerial movement options just as if he properly landed.

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
AGT out of a Low Boost on stage is definitely possible, and is probably one of ROB's best options if he finds himself in that scenario, since it'll throw out a hitbox and pop him back into the air to do a boost with more options, or just fade-away Fair, or whatever the ROB feels like doing while in the air with his boosts.

You also do get your double jump back, meaning you can pop yourself back into the air even without an AGT, or that you can restore your double jump by boosting onto a platform without losing a beat. In short, it basically refreshes all of ROB's aerial movement options just as if he properly landed.
sick
as soon as i get access to a wii again i'm learning to gyrojump using this

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Gyro jumping with a DJ requires you to fall really far to catch up with the gyro though, past the point you DJ'd from. It wouldn't work without going offstage or starting from a platform.

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
Gyro jumping with a DJ requires you to fall really far to catch up with the gyro though, past the point you DJ'd from. It wouldn't work without going offstage or starting from a platform.
not if you do it quickly enough
(though the timing to do so is much more strict, i grant you)

i digress, though - point is, there's all kinds of nutty stuff you can do here, and i'm very eager to get a handle on it as soon as i can

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
@ Jity Jity , you said if ROB "ends up intersecting the stage's collision with his huge disk of a lower body," then he can perform this tech, right? Can it be any part of the disc that he intersects collisions with, 'cause then ROB would be able to simply boost through platforms and still get his DJ and boosts back. I'd test this myself, but I'm nowhere near a Wii right now.

Jity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitty_009
3DS FC
2363-6509-4817
I've tested that; it has to be his landing collision box, so just the bottom of his model while he's in flight. Basically, from what I can figure, the game detects a landing, but you boost away and put ROB into that boosting animation/state before the game puts him into his landing state (as evidenced by when you do this on one of the Distant Planet leaves; it dips and bounces back up as if someone had landed on it and immediately jumped off, but ROB is still able to boost away before actually landing).

Quick Edit: I also had the opportunity to try out the tech in tournament this past weekend; I managed to use it to mixup my recovery by boosting across the stage by intersecting a platform, and also to mixup an approach option, as each time my opponent was anticipating me to only have three boosts, so they were caught off guard when I utilized a fourth and sometimes a fifth to position myself. I've also been able to use it to quickly boost on stage and back off to avoid a punish on my recovery before boosting back in and perfect landing a Dsmash to punish their whiff. There are definitely a few practical mixup options with this tech.

Last edited:

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
just got my first chance to test this tech out, and the first thing i noticed is how surprisingly easy it is to pull off
seems like a real weapon with gyro in hand, which makes me think that its best use may be in creating space for defensive play

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
known about this tech for a while, I think it's best application might be to camp platforms/ledges. on battlefield and i think dreamland you can upb from the ground and be at the perfect height to sideb back and forth over the top platform for as long as you want.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Support this idea, it is really annoying that it takes so long until you can actually use gyro...
What's wrong with you guys

This same suggestion a guy made for Diddy's banana. You're killing one of its unique properties and benefits/downfalls to make everything into Peach's turnip; not every item should just go straight into your hand.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
What's wrong with you guys

This same suggestion a guy made for Diddy's banana. You're killing one of its unique properties and benefits/downfalls to make everything into Peach's turnip; not every item should just go straight into your hand.
You have a point, but the animation should be faster then somehow. In many situations it feels like you would need it faster than you can get it.
I'm not good with ROB though, so take my comments with a grain of salt, I might just be doing it wrong

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
You have a point, but the animation should be faster then somehow. In many situations it feels like you would need it faster than you can get it.
I'm not good with ROB though, so take my comments with a grain of salt, I might just be doing it wrong
It's already probably the best projectile in the game (or at least top 3); I'd recommend not taking away one of its few balancing factors. :<

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
It's already probably the best projectile in the game (or at least top 3); I'd recommend not taking away one of its few balancing factors. :<
Don't be so quick to judge, it was a post in 3.02 and there everyone's projectile was better, back then gyro wasn't top 3. In 3.5 the post is non-sense of course, my complaint was only related to 3.02.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
The gyro charge itself is actually pretty useful. You can B-reverse and RBR it to mix up ROB's aerial momentum, and this is quite nifty after a robo-boost. ROB's gyro is perfect as is if only because it can also be used in the air. The current set-up also lets him pop it over ledges as a potential gimping tool with trajectories that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Falco laser, Mario fireball, and Samus missles/charged shot are all probably better than gyro ( I could probably go on with things like Lucario's aura bomb and other stuff too) but for an item it is really good. And stop trying to make things that aren't R.O.B's short comings seem as his down fall like the gyro charge because that is honestly just running away from the real problems this character has, and I think wavebouncing around with it and the like is pretty fun. If you want the gyro in your hands more look into gyro jumping.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Falco laser, Mario fireball, and Samus missles/charged shot are all probably better than gyro ( I could probably go on with things like Lucario's aura bomb and other stuff too) but for an item it is really good. And stop trying to make things that aren't R.O.B's short comings seem as his down fall like the gyro charge because that is honestly just running away from the real problems this character has, and I think wavebouncing around with it and the like is pretty fun. If you want the gyro in your hands more look into gyro jumping.
ROB has plenty of shortcomings. The gyro is not one of them.

Samus's missiles and charged shot don't even begin to approach the gyro's utility. Mario's fireballs may have been better in 3.0, but he still can't glide toss them, edgeguard effectively with them, or follow them up with another projectile that doubles as a pseudo-kill move.

Flaco's lasers are probably better, yeah.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Well you can edgeguard with Mario fireballs and I disagree completely with those Samus statements, but the thing about gyro is that you can CATCH it, which everyone is really bad at for no reason. Just wavedash or something it's not rocket science. And if you use a reflector the gyro will become yours unless R.O.B precisely picks it up. If you said it was the best item projectile in the game or how it is one of if not R.O.B's best tool (Boosters are way more important though) then I wouldn't disagree as much. Most of the stuff that makes gyro good are things within R.O.B's character like his glide toss distance and being able to boost around, gyro jump etc. If another character had the same move they wouldn't find nearly as much utility as R.O.B does. These are just opinions though but it seems R.O.B players would tend to agree with me more, and those who don''t wouldn't.

And I don't know if you misunderstood me but I wasn't saying that the gyro was a shortcoming, the opposite if anything.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Utility is not a 1:1 reflection of the quality of something. Getting a gyro out in neutral either requires you to give up stage space or risk losing the gyro to the opponent before you can pick it up or even risk getting hit. Gyro to me actually feels more like an aspect of ROB'S punish game and momentum game in that rather than being used to gain an edge in the first place, it helps you maintain that lead. Like if I land a stray hit on somebody i'll gyro jump at them, allowing me to take up that space and put out a gyro that they won't be able to grab before I can. Particularly if I send them upward without killing them but they are too high to hit immediately. Also the obvious time of putting it out between stocks. Gyro jumping being the only way to get it quickly (if ~50 frames to earliest throw time is "quick") really stunts the gyro.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Utility is not a 1:1 reflection of the quality of something. Getting a gyro out in neutral either requires you to give up stage space or risk losing the gyro to the opponent before you can pick it up or even risk getting hit. Gyro to me actually feels more like an aspect of ROB'S punish game and momentum game in that rather than being used to gain an edge in the first place, it helps you maintain that lead. Like if I land a stray hit on somebody i'll gyro jump at them, allowing me to take up that space and put out a gyro that they won't be able to grab before I can. Particularly if I send them upward without killing them but they are too high to hit immediately. Also the obvious time of putting it out between stocks. Gyro jumping being the only way to get it quickly (if ~50 frames to earliest throw time is "quick") really stunts the gyro.
This seems like a pretty accurate assessment, and from my experience, appears to also be fairly true for the laser. Fortunately for ROB, gaining/resetting stage position is relatively easy with judicious use of the side b (both aerial and grounded).

As a wild guess, this might be why ROB's matchups feel pretty polarized at the moment - in matchups where he can safely get the gyro/laser out, he feels extremely oppressive for the opponent to deal with. Conversely, in MUs where he can't do this (and lacks other compensating tools like his CGs/gimps on spacies), ROB might feel like he's having a hard time.

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I think a character's interaction with boost nair and DACUS is also a big deal in matchups. Some characters just can't answer it or will die by 100%.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Feels like mostly quick characters who can reposition themselves quickly to avoid getting ****ed by boost Nair and move in quickly to take his gyro are going to best time of it. Dunno if that WOULD put the matchup in Fox's favor, and maybe it is. Man I wish I'd actually had a real match against Mango last WHOBO instead of a giant chokefest

Jmanthedragonguy

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm trying to pick up ROB but alot of his gyro tech is actually quite difficult. I'm struggling to get the full hop gyro catch thing down, any tips?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Press down-b as soon as you leave the ground
Shoot the gyro as soon as you can
Z-catch it or AGT it as soon as your animation ends
Practice
That's really all the possible tips there are, you'll just need to fiddle around with the timing until you get it down.

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
So i think the key is getting the timing down for releasing the top as soon as possible after starting the top charge. If you hit down-b while the top is already out, that animation will show you the timing for getting it out asap.

Jity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitty_009
3DS FC
2363-6509-4817
So I have a question about the top's priority; what exactly determines whether the top is hit away by an attack or goes through and hits the person attacking? I've had mixed results from the top in basically all scenarios, especially in regards to gimping recoveries like Foxfire and others like it, and I can't quite figure out how to determine whether the top will end up knocking them out of it or getting slapped away by the hitbox. It seems like even at the exact same trajectory and velocity hitting at the exact same angle, the top sometimes hits them, and the top sometimes gets hit.

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
ya i really don't know, but i get the feeling that it has more priority when thrown down than if it is dropped. and falcon's nair beats it every time which is agitating.

Tobb99

Smash Apprentice
Something I've been playing around with that I don't see many ROB player use: Boost-land (Boost>Waveland). Basically do waveland at the later frames of boost, when you can act out of it. This technique also seems very useful I think, and can improve his mobility and increase his options.

Applications:
1) More options out of boost: With this technique you have another option out of boost, so you don't have to commit to an attack or boost back again. If the opponent is shielding you can wave-land boost, or empty-boost, and grab, jab or wave land backwards and bait out an OOS option.

2) Movement: With this technique you have more movement options. Like short hop (immediate) boost-waveland, doing a very low boost and then wavelanding out of it, you could call this Boost-Dashing if you want. You can also do a higher boost, but then you need to airdodge down and then waveland and is therefore more sloppy and react-able.

3) Platform Movement: I don't know how good this is but you can do some fancy platform movement with it as well. If you do a boost horizontally above the platform, you can do a waveland (or perfect waveland). You can also wavedash of a platform, or the stage, and (immediately) do a boost back to the platform.

4) Reach the Top Platform: Similar to 3), you can boost vertically up to the top platform. It could be used as a read if they're up there with boost-waveland > U-smash/Grab/U-tilt. U-smash could potentially kill floatier characters early and grab U-throw can do that as well.

5) Recovery: This technique can also be used to give more recovery options. First of you can boost horizontally and waveland on a platform or the stage. You can also boost vertically and waveland onto a platform or the stage. This can be good if your opponent is, for some reason shielding, and trying to shield a boost u-air stall, then you can boost up and waveland horizontally and back onto the stage. You can also do this onto a platform, like the smashville platform for example.

6) Ledge Shenanigans: You can do some stuff with this on the ledge as well. First of you can boost back to the stage, with a waveland alternatively, like Fox and Falco. If you're quick you'll even have some intangibility frames to cover up for you, like Fox and Falco has as well. You can also do a pseudo Hax-dash with by releasing ledge>jump>Boost-land off the ledge>grab the ledge again. This isn't that usefull I think, since I'm pretty sure you can't stay fully invincible doing this. It could be a cool mixup however. I don't know if this is a faster re-grab than to drop ledge>jump>boost into the wall>re-grab, it might be faster actually especially if you fas-fall when you're wavelanding off the stage and grabbing the ledge. One more advantage of this is that you refresh your boosts, so you now have all 3 boosts back rather than if you do the boost-into-wall-stall, where you lose a boost doing so.

7) Picking up Items: Because you waveland, you can also pick up items with this technique.

Advantages:

-More mobility/movement options
-More options out of boosts
-Looks somewhat flashy

Disadvantages/Limitations:

-YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS ON THE FIRST 2 BOOST, NOT ON THE LAST. Not that big of a deal actually, but still an important limitation.
-You can act out of boost very late in general, if you're not doing an airial. So it's worse than Ike's Quick Draw>Wave-Dash, or Sonic's Side-B>Wave Dash.

Last edited:

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
you actually can waveland out of your last boost. I just don't know the exact requirements but from the ledge I know it works

Tobb99

Smash Apprentice
I don't think you can do that. If you're doing it from the ledge chances are that you're just doing an empty boost and then landing after it.

Serj28

Smash Cadet
I know you can from the ledge for sure, I do it too. It might have something to do with how low to the ground we are kinda like the infinite boost trick on PS2. Just my guess.

Top Bottom