• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions about clawing

yourface191

Smash Apprentice
I am a falco player and I have recently obtained the urge to challenge myself by picking up fox.

From what i have heard clawing is a good method of playing a technical fox/ falco and it looks really unique when holding the controller.

Who are notable players that claw the controller? and are there any good threads/ vids on how to actually play using the claw?

any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I've seen Silent Wolf do this thing that isn't really clawing, but what he does is hold his controller normally, but he'll rest his right index finger above Y and below Z and then push whichever button is necessary at the time. This lets him use his thumb on b and his index finger on y for shine techs, but also not be limited from the Z button by clawing. I'm not 100% sure on all of this, this is from me looking at his hands for like 10 seconds during one of his matches awhile ago.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Hey, that's cool. I remember him saying he does this half-claw thing. Yeah you can just whip your index down to Y and have your thumb do B and C-stick. Cool.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Javi claws.
Well, I guess you could say he has an arcade grip "claw".
I've tried playing with the Javi grip and it's super fun (though, your grab game is fairly limited, which kinda sucks).
Regular/Half claw I'm really bad at, though, but with practice, I'm sure anybody could get used to it and apply it.

Kal

Smash Champion
I am a pretty technical Fox player and I don't claw. FastLikeTree never clawed as well. Personally, I don't like clawing, as I think it's awkward and uncomfortable, but if it feels natural to you, you should by all means do it.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I always claw. I'm probably not "notable" though. I do seem to be about the only person who advocates clawing in these threads though.

Javi's grip is not clawing, though it is sort of similar.

Here are some of the various grips I have seen called "the claw" in relation to various SSBM players.

1. Standard Claw - index on Y, middle on R/Z, thumb on A/B/C
2. Modified Claw - index on Y, ring on R, middle on Z, thumb on A/B/C
3. Left-handed Claw - index plus thumb on control stick, middle on L, right hand normal
4. Double Claw - combination of 1 and 2/3
5. Keyboard Style - played by Javi, it's weird
6. Semiclaw - Switch from standard grip to 1 for certain situations

I use the second one, what I call Modified Claw. I have never seen another player post about using this grip.

Mahie

Smash Lord
What do you do with your ring finger and pinky? And do you use the R button? It sounds like a variant of arcade/keyboard style similar to what Javi uses.
I switch between that and a normal grip, so I don't need to limit myself with it. It's just way handier when it comes to multishining/ ledgehop double blaster perfectly/ neutralB edgehog with Marth etc etc.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I always claw. I'm probably not "notable" though. I do seem to be about the only person who advocates clawing in these threads though.

Javi's grip is not clawing, though it is sort of similar.

Here are some of the various grips I have seen called "the claw" in relation to various SSBM players.

1. Standard Claw - index on Y, middle on R/Z, thumb on A/B/C
2. Modified Claw - index on Y, ring on R, middle on Z, thumb on A/B/C
3. Left-handed Claw - index plus thumb on control stick, middle on L, right hand normal
4. Double Claw - combination of 1 and 2/3
5. Keyboard Style - played by Javi, it's weird
6. Semiclaw - Switch from standard grip to 1 for certain situations

I use the second one, what I call Modified Claw. I have never seen another player post about using this grip.
Rate mine! Thumb C-Stick, Index A/B/Y, Middle Z.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
i play fox with
left index L (tech,wavedash,lcancel. everything)
left thumb control
right ring Z
right middle Y
right index B and c-stick

sometimes i use thumb for c-stick, generally for instant shffl uairs or jump usmashes. this just feels natural to me. its really easy to accurately pivot shdb and shine out of dash. too each to his own tho

:phone:

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I play fox normal grip and switch too full claw when I want to show off

Top Bottom