• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

question for you Ness players

Rave925

Smash Apprentice
Hello Ness players. I have a small question for you guys, because of a very......frustrating battle I had with a Ness player and I was wondering if this is what he calls strategy or if it's what i call spamming.

Okay, so I go against this Ness player with my marth, but like every 6 seconds he runs right up and grabs me, throwing me like crazy. The bat, the dash attack, and the dair are really like the only moves this guy likes to use. Because of the grab range of this charcater and the force behind his throws, they are actually dangerous, but I didn't know that someone would use it THAT much. So....I ended up losing(very very sad knowing that I can take on really experienced smash players, yet losing to this spam grabber.:urg:). So the question I will ask is, is this grabbing strategy where you grab every 6 seconds or is this simply a player who abuses his grabs?

The only way I was able to put up any kind of challenge is to stay in the air and fair, since if I'm ever on the ground, he would just grab me more.

Lol, this is the funny part, right after I get off, he ends up calling me a spammer and that I jump in the air too much. I didn't even know that jumping could be considered spamming. From what I see, this was just a Marth vs Ness battle gone all wrong. Could someone please tell me what is going on here? Oh and if anyone is looking for a challenging marth to play against, just pm me.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You're a Marth player, you guys are 30% of the SWF population. You should always be in the air Fairing.

You're too hung up on "spam". You claim he grabs often... well, shouldn't you? Grab release him.
Your main problem is letting him get close. Just outrange him, since he does use Fair. Beat him offstage, go for the gimps, and use a lot of dtilt, uptilt, fsmash, fair, and dancing blade, like you Marths usually do.

Dancing Blade might very well be one of the best punishers in this game, use it to rack up some easy damage if he goes for a grab. Also, if he's charging you, don't shield. Spotdodge, he'll miss the grab, then dance your blade.

Also, don't listen to any of what I just said. We don't want you winning, now do we?
QA thread next time, please. After your question gets answered, Levitas should be here to close this.

Shaky

Smash Ace
In my opinion , he was overusing the grab. But, at the same time, there's nothing wrong with abusing one of Ness' assets.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Saying Ness spams grabs is like saying Meta Knight spams Dsmash.
Why would you not use the most effective part of your character's game? For Ness, his most valuable assets are grabs, every aerial, PKT, Utilt, and occasionally PK Fire.

Uffe

Smash Hero
You might be better off asking the Marth boards how to deal with Ness since you should be winning like 70% of the time against Ness. I'll give you a try, though, if you want to. No, not against my Ness. I'll be using someone else, but I could try and see where you're going wrong.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Not even 70% of the time. That's a 7:3 advantage in every match. If they played 100 times, Ness shouldn't win 30 times; he should win less because he always has that huge disadvantage... but that isn't important.

Dtilt, DB, and SH aerials against him. Dtilt will shut down most of what he can do on the ground in the first place. His aerials get hampered by your own and Dancing Blade. The rest you should save for killing.

You should always be in the air Fairing.

The only way I was able to put up any kind of challenge is to stay in the air and fair

Uh, there you go.

Cron_Ace

Smash Rookie
You have the advantage over the Ness player, even though he is cheap (IMO). I've started maining Ness, and only really use the Dair when I'm either falling down or spiking someone. I grab, but not constantly. The baseball bat is for me to reflect items and to raise their percentage.

To me, it seems like he was C.H.E.A.P. I have a friend who's mained Marth since Melee; he's not Pro-good, but he beats my Ness-game only to the fact that he's faster, has a longer reach and can combo more than I can.

Maybe it was the player. If you want to fight a Ness who isn't cheap, let me know. I won't promise a great fight, but I'm definitely NOT cheap.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I think it's more or less the fact that Ness was the better player.

Uffe

Smash Hero
You play to win. It doesn't matter how cheap methods are. If they work, use them.

Lizard

Smash Ace
Grabbing every 6 seconds sounds annoying, but grabs can be avoided. if you notice that he is too grab happy, then you should become spot dodge happy!

Like stated by Straked, Spot dodge, dancing blade.

Maybe even a lucky Fsmash :)

But ness has got to use everything he has against a marth

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
Why don't I go to the marth boards and post a topic about how a marth used fair every 6 seconds.
lol.

^^^ that made me sound like an *******.

Ness has good throws, against one of his hardest matchups I'd think he'd use it any chance he gets.
I know it sounds cliche, but get better at spot dodging?
Imagine when you play an ice climber, if you can get used to this ness than it'll probably help you avoid grabs from an ice climber main.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Grabbing every 6 seconds isn't cheap, the other player sees your weaknesses and reacts to them the correct way. He has a good grab+you are vulnerable to grabs = you get grabbed. Work around it, like others said, try Dancing Blade, stay in the air and use your own grab, which isn't the worst of the game.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
A Marth main with a Ness woe vs. way more the other way around? Or are you talking about that image? Ah, whatever.

Yes, Marth has a large advantage on Ness. Yes, there is some level of advantage at lower levels of play. No, it is not an "auto-win" at a lower level of play. It's like you guys will brag about beating Marth players but you scoff when they actually take Ness seriously and ask for help. This may be part of the reason why this board isn't taken seriously by other boards. Just saying.

Anyway, he already got his advice. It's a player issue. If he were a character that Ness had an advantage on, I imagine that people wouldn't be treating him the way they are.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Hello Ness players. I have a small question for you guys, because of a very......frustrating battle I had with a Ness player and I was wondering if this is what he calls strategy or if it's what i call spamming.

Okay, so I go against this Ness player with my marth, but like every 6 seconds he runs right up and grabs me, throwing me like crazy. The bat, the dash attack, and the dair are really like the only moves this guy likes to use. Because of the grab range of this charcater and the force behind his throws, they are actually dangerous, but I didn't know that someone would use it THAT much. So....I ended up losing(very very sad knowing that I can take on really experienced smash players, yet losing to this spam grabber.:urg:). So the question I will ask is, is this grabbing strategy where you grab every 6 seconds or is this simply a player who abuses his grabs?
This is you not knowing how to spot dodge. Get over it and get better. Learn to adapt.

/thread

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Really, I answered the question, but had a hard time really understanding how the Ness plays. Grabbing every 6 seconds? Counterpick, and that won't happen.

Really, we try to be as nice as possible. Well, at least I do. thesage likes things short, too the point. Concise statements.

I think we're a lot like the Links. People say so much about our character that we just become angry, unhappy peoplesz.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Wow, Ness players are brutally mean.

Pretty much though that you just need to outspace Ness since Ness's range isn't all too great. Just practice your Marth, and you'll beat Ness easy.
Don't generalize about all of us. There might be 3 Nesses that are "mean". They're brutally honest, like thesage. He is the sage, after all.

Ness's fair has amazing range range. Ness fair > Marth's. Charged upsmash and dsmash have great range. PK Fire stops any and all dash attacks. Fsmash has great range, because the tip is the strongest, and it reaches about a roll away. PKT goes anywhere it feels like. Utilt has insane priority/range, it's just that disjointed.

Also, dtilt can hit like Snakes utilt, from half of the stage away.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I hate how we missed out on the steak meme.
People accuse us of stealing Sonic ideas...

Uffe

Smash Hero
The Mother series came out two years before the Sonic series. But whatever, they can have their steak and eat it, too.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Don't generalize about all of us. There might be 3 Nesses that are "mean".
Being "mean" and "brutally honest" is one thing.

Being useless is another.

No, this is not an attack against you or those who genuinely made an attempt to contribute.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Being "mean" and "brutally honest" is one thing.

Being useless is another.

No, this is not an attack against you or those who genuinely made an attempt to contribute.
Nah, it's fine. I actually love having you around, you contribute more than most of us.
I guess we just have a deep hate for Marth.

Also, we don't make a lot of friends, Marth mains account for 30% of the SWF community.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
This is really funny...seriously....

If your on the ground, your fsmashing for a kill , grab releasing, or ...dancing blade-ing..

You should be in the air the rest of the time, really.

And this is really funny because Ness has horrible grab range...I wouldnt play that close to a Marth either, in fear of getting grabbed myself...

EDIT: From my experince, Ness players are REALLY nice in real life. Too nice, if thats possible.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Nah, it's fine. I actually love having you around, you contribute more than most of us.
I guess we just have a deep hate for Marth.

Also, we don't make a lot of friends, Marth mains account for 30% of the SWF community.
I just happen to be friends with a few Marth mains. About four or five actually. I can only think of three off the top of my head, though.

Levitas

the moon
Is this a "help the marth main beat us up" thread, or a "rip on marth because he totally deserves it" thread.

Give the man his help and move on.

Top Bottom