• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about general playing styles

BAMF

Smash Cadet
First do most people play with tap jump on or off it seems like it would be helpful for some characters for combos but I generally play with it off. Does anyone find it useful for playing lucas. Also b-sticking is it pretty much certain now to be a good lucas you got to do it? And one more thing if you miss a smash or aireials is there a specific timing to when to shield or side step to avoid punishment or do people pretty much just hit shield as soon as its going to miss so the next available frame is shielding. I only ask because when I play people who are clearly better than me they seem to be able to shield/side step impossibly quickly so I was curious if there is special timing when to shield in those vulnerable frames to make them much shorter. Hope this sounds clear enough to get straight answers :)

Irsic

Smash Ace
1) I prefer tap jump off for Lucas, and I think most other Lucas mains agree.
2) You do not have to b-stick, though I also prefer it.
3) There is a buffering system in this game that allows you to perform your next action 13 frames before you can actually do it, which will then make your next move come out on the fastest frame possible. So it's not actually happening 13 frames sooner, it's just happening as fast as it possibly could have.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I leave tap jump on because it's never a problem for me since I dealt with it in Melee. I actually find it useful for some character but not really for Lucas.

I never use B-sticking because it makes it more difficult for me to control my Dairs which play a larger role in my playstyle.

It depends. You have to know the lag of your own moves as well as the speed and range of their punishment options. Sometimes you can't avoid being punished. If they're able to avoid your punishments it might mean that you're using an ineffective method (like shield grabbing with Lucas which is often useless.)

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
I play with normal controls, since I find that I use tap jump moderately. B-sticking is way too hard for me, for some reason. Maybe it's because I was so used to using U-smash with it, and the transition caused me to PKT at the wrong times.

HAGGS

Smash Apprentice
Ill add to this question if you dont mind. Tyr, Since you keep tap jump on, how do you up-tilt easily, and do you use the joystick or x/y to short hop?

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
I use tap jump to follow up with uair, if the situation calls for it, and unless I plan on dairing my second jump, I use tap jump to perform my second jump. Utilts aren't hard for me, since I'm rather careful with the control stick while doing this.
And, well, yeah... I can't short hop with tap jump, so use y. Never x, for some reason.

Sorry, thought I'd deposit my two cents on that question.

HAGGS

Smash Apprentice
I use tap jump to follow up with uair, if the situation calls for it, and unless I plan on dairing my second jump, I use tap jump to perform my second jump. Utilts aren't hard for me, since I'm rather careful with the control stick while doing this.
And, well, yeah... I can't short hop with tap jump, so use y. Never x, for some reason.

Sorry, thought I'd deposit my two cents on that question.
Thanks a bunch :)

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
almost all of lucas's advanced techniques could be done without bstick. i dont bstick because i dont want to give up my smash attacks and aerials for my specials. manual wavebounce is real easy to do

i also set my L-button to jump, because i'd rather just press L than claw my remote to Zap Jump

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
almost all of lucas's advanced techniques could be done without bstick. i dont bstick because i dont want to give up my smash attacks and aerials for my specials. manual wavebounce is real easy to do

i also set my L-button to jump, because i'd rather just press L than claw my remote to Zap Jump
i agree and i too set L to jump. it makes life a lot easier when trying to zap jump... oh and trying to do some of the advanced techniques w/out b-sticking are a little difficult such as shooting pk fire to the right and reverse magnet pulling back to the right but having the magnet stay in that direction.. that is the hardest one for me.. but regular reverse magnet pull is so simple now that i found out how to rotate the joy stick in order to do it.

soccerdude7200

Smash Journeyman
i like tap jump on pretty much only because it make doing full hopped dair's easier for me.
and then i just use X and Y for SH and other jumping.

heytallman

CTALL
I use tap jump off, and I don't bstick.

L is the one button (aside from Z) that I NEVER touch. I still have it set to shield, and just use R to shield. I also set X to grab, it just seems a lot easier to me.

I don't zap jump ever D:

zontan

Smash Rookie
I hate tap jump, because it always messed me up in melee, so I have it off. I also have L set to jump, though I still usually use Y because it's easier to SH with it, unless I need to be doing something else with that hand (like pressing B for a zap jump), in which case I use L. And I set X to grab as well, since Z just takes too long to switch to and I never used X for jumping anyway. I tried B-sticking for a while, and I found that while it does make a whole lot of the ATs easier, in most situations its not worth giving up c-sticked smashes, and the ATs can still be done without it with practice.

ö&ö&ö&ö

Smash Cadet
Tap jump off really made sense to me because it gives more control over your jump, so I have it off.
I b-stick because I don't have any problems using smashes or aerials, and most of my game is nair and specials.

Rachmaninav89

Smash Apprentice
I have tap jump off because its harder for me to up tilt so it makes things a little easier for me. I actually used to play default and then changed to b stick, so i could learn the lucas tricks because I wanted to be able to do them haha. I feel like it really helped me though in the end, so it's every persons point of view essentially but I thought b sticking really helped me alot! To say the least be aware you will probably suicide alot and get kicked pretty hard getting used to the new configuration, but when you finally learn it, it's worth it I would say haha.

BAMF

Smash Cadet
Ok so first I wanna thank everyone for their input and apologize that I haven't responded sooner. For some reason I kinda expected not having any responses, plus I'm not a very active user. So I did find out about the buffering from reading something in the brawl tactical area, which hands down has to be one of my biggest problem areas there are times when things dont happen untill well after I input them which usually results in me doing the wrong things at the wrong times or not fast enough etc. I can't quite figure out when these 13 frames are available its gotta be half way b4 the move ends right? As far as b-sticking goes I've pretty much decided its not worth it. I seem to do it at times just because I think I should and its not always practical. (Like ill be in the fight and think "oh i should do some wave bounce magnet pull stuff now", not as second nature like it should be) Like its supposed to be part of the "mind games" or w/e or I need to be flashy. Where can I learn how to do the AT's w/o the b-stick and are they really as effective as far as the distance traveled? or is just a happy medium? The config I've kinda set on is tap jump off, L for shield and Z for jump, X for grab ( which i recommend more people try because it seems amazingly and almost surprisingly convenient) Some times the Z seems to be unresponsive for jump which kinda of aggravates me. Also for zap jump it seems to almost not be consistent for the timing. Do most people use mod-ed controllers where the L R triggers are set to be more like buttons?

Smeh

Smash Cadet
1. I have tap jump off.
2. I don't b-stick, generally. I actually rarely use the c-stick (I should probably amend that)
3. A lot of people try to grab after a missed smash, so I generally spot dodge immediately after.

Edit: Oh, and my controller is not mod-ed. I use L for shield and R for jump (only used rarely for things like zap jump)

Levitas

the moon
The inconsistency you're feeling is the variance in your timing vs the timing of the frames of the game.

It's like if your friend who you can't talk to times out ten second intervals without telling you. You have to do two... uh... different hand signs or something in consecutive intervals, but you don't know what your friend is doing at all. The only way to guarantee that you get the two signs in consecutive intervals is to space the signs at EXACTLY 10 seconds. Likewise, if you really screw up and count out 9 seconds, you can still be successful. or 19 seconds for that matter, though odds of success are far less likely.

Zap jumping is like that, except for the interval being 1/60th of a second instead of 10 seconds.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
The inconsistency you're feeling is the variance in your timing vs the timing of the frames of the game.

It's like if your friend who you can't talk to times out ten second intervals without telling you. You have to do two... uh... different hand signs or something in consecutive intervals, but you don't know what your friend is doing at all. The only way to guarantee that you get the two signs in consecutive intervals is to space the signs at EXACTLY 10 seconds. Likewise, if you really screw up and count out 9 seconds, you can still be successful. or 19 seconds for that matter, though odds of success are far less likely.
I was thinking about this once, and how much more precise I would be if my brain worked in frame implements.

Unfortunately this is not so, and I often leave myself open to fully charged fsmashes. :crying:

Top Bottom