• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about Fox's Drill shine combo.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Im studying fox cause he is one of the most tuffest characters for Peach at tournament level. And stops her from winning big tournies. As I study the match up, I tend to get better at the fight and fuse it with my weird style of play.

Now on my studies.I notice something, or it can be just me timing it wrong. After Fox drills to shine. I love to Up-B him. this an attack I like to use alot against Fox and falco to stop thier lil annoying combs. I was playing My friends fox earlyer. and at times after he drill shined me when I blocked it, I try to up-B and it would not come out. and other times I was able too. does the shine have some sort of shield stun? If so I cant be too big or I dont think I could roll out of it.If he does it correctly can I Up-B out of it? If he shines and he trys to short hop to a drill, can I beat it with an Up-B? Im trying to see how fast it is. I have a good Up-B game against Fox and it ***** him. though I worry when I use it at times, if I mess up, bye-bye Peach. its a risky move. But since I have a good up-B game, I focus it in the right time for quick escapes and to break combos. Also if I mess up on a combo or movement on them, I'll up-B to get a quick attack and break free for some space.

so your opinion or facts on this please.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
not a good idea... generally your only thought should be to GTFO

up B may work against not so good players but any decent fox is gonna tear you a new *** hole for trying that =/ you try and roll out of there, and if you get shined... Smash DI is your friend.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
If you were able to Up-B out of fox drillshine combo is because your friend wasn't enough fast. The drillshine combo is easy to escape, just smash DI the dair when he's hitting you, if he fast falls his dairs use ASDI(DI with c-stick) and keep smashing that stick just in case he connects with his shines.

Now... waveshince combos.... I suggest that you CC into d-smash I'm sure that'll be enough to stop it, SDI or DIng his waveshines doesn't help too much if he can control his waveshines lenght to well and react quickly so if you're going to DI, DI against him so he'll wavedash going to far to connect another shine and miss.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
If you were able to Up-B out of fox drillshine combo is because your friend wasn't enough fast. The drillshine combo is easy to escape, just smash DI the dair when he's hitting you, if he fast falls his dairs use ASDI(DI with c-stick) and keep smashing that stick just in case he connects with his shines.

Now... waveshince combos.... I suggest that you CC into d-smash I'm sure that'll be enough to stop it, SDI or DIng his waveshines doesn't help too much if he can control his waveshines lenght to well and react quickly so if you're going to DI, DI against him so he'll wavedash going to far to connect another shine and miss.
CC into dsmash does NOT

NOT

work.

smash DI'ing away forces the fox into a waveshine akin to that versus marth. Which is significantly harder and at the very least makes up smashing that much harder after the combo ends.

Elen

Smash Lord
KDJ's peach parasols out of waveshine rofl. Then again, his peach is god awful. Listen to XIF guys, I just wanted to post xD

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Waveshining is a combo. You can't crouch in the middle of a combo.
Yes but I mean you can predict it... specially if you've already been it by a dair... you can CC if your opponent isn't enough fast...... The truth is I main fox and I **** everyone with my nair to shine combos and drillshine/waveshine combos

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Yes but I mean you can predict it... specially if you've already been it by a dair... you can CC if your opponent isn't enough fast...... The truth is I main fox and I **** everyone with my nair to shine combos and drillshine/waveshine combos
If you've predict it, wouldn't it be best if you've gotten out of the way or something? Just curious.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
If you've predict it, wouldn't it be best if you've gotten out of the way or something? Just curious.
When you see him going away(while waveshining) just run and grab or something else.. idk I'm not a peach player

Magus420

Smash Master
If they can't even get the 1st shine to combo off of a d-air and you can CC inbetween often enough to be a good tactic you shouldn't really be worried about getting waveshined anytime soon anyway =/

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i think pch was talking about while in shield. in the case, if the fox is slow, you can if you time it perfect, but otherwise your shield will go down b4 the hitbox of the upb comes out leaving you open to the drill shine. better bet is to roll or spot dodge to dsmash. btw, yes shine has shield stun, i don't remember how much but it is more than 4 frames as multishining a shield is unescapable.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
i think pch was talking about while in shield. in the case, if the fox is slow, you can if you time it perfect, but otherwise your shield will go down b4 the hitbox of the upb comes out leaving you open to the drill shine. better bet is to roll or spot dodge to dsmash. btw, yes shine has shield stun, i don't remember how much but it is more than 4 frames as multishining a shield is unescapable.
If the Fox screws up his drillshine while you're shielding then you can simply shieldgrab him

Magus420

Smash Master
The shield stun is 4 frames and it is escapable after the 2nd shine by c-sticking a roll. The shine and roll invincibility come out at the same time and you get away. While Fox can jump out of the 1st shine on the 3rd frame when used on the ground into the 2nd one, he doesn't reach the ground until the 5th on each one after that on level ground since they are done in the air and it takes time to fall.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799

Yea, thats what I ment. So if Fox does it perfect I cant Up-B him? Darn it. well alright. thats, and now I know I cant stunned. Cause there was a point when she shined me, I blocked it and he waved Dash behind me. I tried to Up-B him but could not move.

Bigrick- If Fox is behind you and all, a grab wont really do much, ha. Also I think her Up-B is Faster then the grab? Not sure. But at times I cant grab him, so I would up-B to do a quick attack and break away

Me14k

Smash Lord
smash DI'ing away forces the fox into a waveshine akin to that versus marth. Which is significantly harder and at the very least makes up smashing that much harder after the combo ends.
What does smash Diing towards the waveshining fox do? cause then id just hit the control stick left and right really fast to smash DI like i do the uair.

Pritch

Smash Lord
The idea is to hit the stick away from fox as the shine hits so you get sent further away from fox so he has less options with which to continue to wail on you, or ideally whiffs whatever he was going for entirely. It's not a 100% foolproof way to escape the combo by any stretch, but its better than just sitting there letting him rock you.

Oh, and the dashdance to smash di thing really isn't a good idea here, as unlike with the uair the direction that you DI is actually relevant. DI'ing back towards fox is generally bad.:dizzy:

Top Bottom