• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queensland Competitive Crew Compendium Callout: Subdividing SEqld by area? any ideas?

Yokai

Smash Ace
Hi all, for those who don't know me because of my ridiculously low profile I am a smasher from QLD and part of the "Ward".

For those uninformed with QLDs smash-history, we started out basically as two rival factions from brisbane and the gold coast, and competition is what drove us to new heights. I loved this, the crew atmosphere, everything. You didnt need to be the best smasher, you didnt need to have the best skill, you just needed to try your best and rely on your team.

This concept of crews and teams has so far had little notice in QLD smash scene ( I cannot comment on other states as I have not investigated thoroughly). What I propose is that we bring back the crew battles, but in a unique and fun way.

My proposal, is that smash scenes divide themselves into groups of 4 of or 5, these "tribes" compete at a tribal tourny in the same mannor as a crew battle, but have a round robin type arrangement.

The concept of fairness is one that needs to be taken seriously, so I would put forward my idea that in upcoming singles tournaments (im thinking of QBB for queensland), the top ten (for arguments sake) are given a rank S (aka highly ranked).

These eliet players, can be captains, and choose team mates, making the concept of crews balanced and fair.

I realise this idea may not be original, but I have been pondering it for the last few weeks. brawl has many new players and we need to make sure they stay. Many new players will just up and quit competitive tournaments if they know they have no chance to win. With crew or "tribal" tournaments individual skill is supplemented by good team work and strategy.

as for rules, I suggest making blind pick of characters, and line ups. meaning that there is a factor of randomness. Using the standard melee crew rules, but with 3 stock instead of 4 as per brawl.

the reason for small crews is so there can be few of them to fill a round robin draw, is to get the competitive edge back, the team sort of environment, everyone has alot more fun in my experience.

With reguards to a round robin draw, something like 2 points for a win 1 point for a loss, with the top teams playing off for 1st 2nd 3rd ect. I dont know how this would affect time constraints, or if stock may need to be reduced but this is just a proposal.

I would also encourage people to have team colours or a theme/ mascot. just to enhance the team environment. Im not sure what australia has to say about these ideas, but if people think it could be as much fun as I do, or would love to try it anyway, I think I may ask Vyse to help me organise one and such. This is just putting it out there and seeing what everyone has to say. I by no means have anything set in concrete, and my suggestions are open for debate.

Throw some ideas around. Yokai for tribes. :)

EDIT1: These are the current crews by Vyses reckoning.
Ward

Crew Captain

* vyse - Diddy Kong

Crew Members (Gold Coast Branch)

* Sieg (ZSS/Metaknight)
* Yokai (Lucario/WEEGEE)
* ACCELERATE (ROB)
* undead_moose (Pit/Marth)
* Azure Rune (Wolf)
* DiCE - The artist formerly known as K-0S (Mario)
* Triss (Olimar)
* Radiance (Marth)
* Scrubs (Kirby)

Mission Statement:
To be the very best, like no crew ever was.
To 3 stock them is our real test, to tea bag them is our cause.
TECH

Crew Captain

* Syke - Marth (Melee)

Crew Members (Brisbane)

* Get That Rat (Lucario)
* Sirias (Wolf)
* King Kong (Donkey Kong)
* NG7 (Fox)
* Gosu (Peach - Melee - Retired)
* King Mos (Link - Melee - Retired)

Mission Statement:
MASSIVE CAWKS
(I don't know, but if I had to guess, that's probably it)
Death From Above

Crew Captain/s

* B00ker (Ice Climbers/Dedede)
* Kust0m (Game & Watch/Marth)

Crew Members (Brisbane/Redcliffe Area)

* They are recruiting at the moment

Mission Statement:
'Death from Above'
???
JAtz's Crew (Name Pending)

Crew Captain/s

* JAtz (????)

Crew Members (Brisbane Area)

* OptimusBen (????)
* JimmyJackHammer (????)
* Hagshrom (????)
* Destroyer (????)

Mission Statement:
(????)

NEW CREW YEHUZ

Crew Application

Crew Name: TBarricade or Wombat Crew

Crew Captain: Greenstreet

Crew Members:

-Greenstreet (Sonic)
-Ace (Mr. Game and Watch)
-Scorer (Ike)
-Dan Metcalf* (Pikachu)

*Has expressed interest but not confirmed...

Currently Recruiting/Searching....

Crew Motto: ...TBA

The idea of area crews has taken off. and subregion idea (thanks paff) is also being discussed, we need a way to devide up SE qld effectivly. Ideas?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Sydney has a tournament in December which is something along the lines of what you're proposing. :estatic: You should come along to it! I don't think a structure such as the one you proposed could possibly fail, it simply exacurbates everything that makes competitive Smash worth it.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=193288

Yokai

Smash Ace
Thanks CAO, as I said I hadnt researched other states. I would come if for the lack of funds.

Still, if but for QLD it would be an awesome thing to try. Id love to make some rules that are unique for it, to give it an edge.?

I dont know, but thanks for the link.

EDIT: Yeah looking at that link, I want this tounry (if it ever happens) to just be round robin crews, type of thing. Something different. Crew type situations are dying out in QLD.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
So its like a scene crew battle-off where the the crews are generally evened out so its fairer?

Yokai

Smash Ace
basically, its like a tournament for crews. where each crew has a captain that is very good at smash.

Yokai

Smash Ace
Thats ok Moose, just post your reservations, I mean Im really open to ideas on this. If you think there is something that would make it better, then please post.

Get a compendium up and running and see what people want.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I liked it when it was Area Vs. Area.
As in 'Ward' (Which is Gold Coast) vs. 'Tech' (Which was Brisbane).

It doesn't mean that people spread all over the place couldn't form a crew either.

JAtz is bringing a crew to QBB. Hopefully they'll pick up a few more and create a new Brisbane crew to challenge Ward.

Sieg

Smash Champion
I think we need to combine the ultra egos again.

Ryan, me, Syke, GTR etc.

YOU NEED A BIG EGO TO BE COMPETETIVE.

That's what made us get better. The fact that if we won we could have rubbed it in the opposite teams ego.

Good times.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Yes!

Increase the ego's of people!

THROW YOUR CONTROLLERS TO THE FLOOR IN A RAGE!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think we need to make a thread for each crew, better yet for each member...
Other regions of the world have crew threads that seem to be nothing but +1 post buckets.
Threads about single people only work in character specific sub-forums.

Mew2King tried starting a thread for his Melee tier list, and it was locked lol.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
1) A new QLD smash thread that somebody other than Bryce is in control of. I mean, he did a good job but when was the last time we saw him post? =_=
2) In OP of said thread, have a listing of all existing crews in QLD
3) Thread becomes a bucket of trash talk and spam and c0k
4) ???
5) Profit!

EDIT:
Alliteration ftw.

Hooray for getting my custom avi back <3

Sirias

Smash Champion
I don't really know about 'ideas' but I think the crew system so far is good, as in, divided by where we live. This isn't really 'crew battles'.
How would it work if it started?
Like... we'd all be gathered in an area, and then people would just choose a player (that isn't a captain)?
Who would be the captains? Or how we would find out who could be one?

I dunno, I think it's fine as is.
The teams from both sides (Brisbane/GC) are pretty even. That is if BEN is still in TECH. =/
Iono. I think it's kool but I don't REALLY know.

Maybe I'll read through it again.
Still think it's fine the way it is.
But if more people wanna do this then that's fine with me.

We gonna have names like before?
For every... what was it ------------- tribe, there. Tribe? Names for tribe? d:
We'd sound like cave-men calling it 'tribe'... XD

Yokai

Smash Ace
Kas, I said captains would be determined from other tourny results.

Basically, tech V ward is dead. The melee days are over, im trying to rebuff the way we think about crews.

and maybe crews could be chosen by captains, or just people sign up to a different captain. Im unsure, as this is just a proposal.

and I am a caveman. so I have no dramas with tribes.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Ward​

Crew Captain
  • vyse - Diddy Kong

Crew Members (Gold Coast Branch)
  • Sieg (ZSS/Metaknight)
  • Yokai (Lucario/WEEGEE)
  • ACCELERATE (ROB)
  • undead_moose (Pit/Marth)
  • Azure Rune (Wolf)
  • DiCE - The artist formerly known as K-0S (Mario)
  • Triss (Olimar)
  • Radiance (Marth)
  • Scrubs (Kirby)

Mission Statement:
To be the very best, like no crew ever was.
To 3 stock them is our real test, to tea bag them is our cause.
TECH​

Crew Captain
  • Syke - Marth (Melee)

Crew Members (Brisbane)
  • Get That Rat (Lucario)
  • Sirias (Wolf)
  • King Kong (Donkey Kong)
  • NG7 (Fox)
  • Gosu (Peach - Melee - Retired)
  • King Mos (Link - Melee - Retired)

Mission Statement:
MASSIVE CAWKS
(I don't know, but if I had to guess, that's probably it)
Death From Above​

Crew Captain/s
  • B00ker (Ice Climbers/Dedede)
  • Kust0m (Game & Watch/Marth)

Crew Members (Brisbane/Redcliffe Area)
  • They are recruiting at the moment

Mission Statement:
'Death from Above'
???
JAtz's Crew (Name Pending)​

Crew Captain/s
  • JAtz (????)

Crew Members (Brisbane Area)
  • OptimusBen (????)
  • JimmyJackHammer (????)
  • Hagshrom (????)
  • Destroyer (????)

Mission Statement:
(????)
10characters

Yokai

Smash Ace
Wow, im impressed with your post vyse.
I only have issues with ward. We have so many people, alot of us actually miss out on the crew battle.

Im sick of missing out, its been 4 crew battles that I have had to sit out, something needs to be done to revamp the process. Or other teams need to combine.

Sirias

Smash Champion
:D Shut up with spam lolz?

Fair enough... 4/5 teams, though?
It's not 'dead' it's just that not everyone from Tech/Ward meet up enough? So we can't get a crew battle?
Basically these will just be mini-crew battles until we get a real one?

Won't we still do crews in tournaments and then for meets it'd just be Brisbane vs. Gold Coast, and if there are more on one side then we even the sides out?

Lol to Anthony.
"MASSIVE CAWKS"
I think we're slightly over that.
Cawk... NOICE...... YAYYUUHHZZZ!!!
Zac we need to do that again, you fail at it.

LOL wtf I found out about the 'pen!s' game like a month ago (just remembered now).
Is that where it originated from?
Pen!s game is lame, everyone sucks at it, it's so much easier.
Too easy to shout and win. =/

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
As long as the teams are even in skill level...
then the battles will be epic.
I still wish I wasnt the only decent (known), Toowoomba smasher, except maybe my mates GaW.
Then i would so be up for some epic battles. :036:

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Greenie, you should team with the other Bris smashers.
I think at QBB, we can expect people wanting to join some of the crews popping up.

Also
:038: > :036:

lol, jk

Yokai

Smash Ace
Syke, when did anyone say it was my lack of skill?

It was a flip of the coin actually, but your lack of ocular awareness must make you cry.

I know I suck ok, god. At least I try to help, a ****e side more than some of you.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Greenie, you should team with the other Bris smashers.
I think at QBB, we can expect people wanting to join some of the crews popping up.

Also
:038: > :036:

lol, jk
Yeah. It just seems odd that noone else in Toowoomba has jumped on smashboards lol.
O well, i'll meet heaps of smashers in like a day. But Yokai, I am up for this idea and would love to be involved, I agree that it would make the scene more exciting and competitive...especially exciting...

:036:

P.S. Yeah you betta b jokin vyse. :]

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Negative attitude is negative ^^

I will probably continue my search for some decent Toowoomba smashers. I am takin this search to the streets. There will be notices ppl... :036:

Scrubs

Smash Lord
I like it

Area is a good way to organise it.

It instills pride, plus not all the talented people live in the same place so its fair

Paff

Smash Journeyman
I dunno about Brisbane vs Gold Coast if it's going to be done by area - there're probably too many interested people in Brisbane (and possibly Gold Coast? I'm not from around here, don't know how big it is, heh) for just one crew, by a lot. Subregions might work, I guess. Or the captain system. But really I don't know, I haven't done any sort of competetive Smash before, so basically ignore me.

Also, I'd be interested in joining some sort of crew, I suppose, although I suck. And I'll be leaving in like three months.

Yokai

Smash Ace
Howcome syke can troll me so well. I just go into rage mode.

Sorry everyone.

Anyway, its a good point all the good players dont live in the same area, but still, people like chris who might want to be a part of it will feel torn between 2. and people who make the effort like greenstreet, who might not have a full crew, get left out sort of thing. I dont know, we just need a revamp and a way to make the crews come back.

Kust0m

Smash Cadet
Perhaps we could stop with the negetivity? It's one of the main reasons gaming communities such as this die. If we want qld smash to thrive, stay positive. Constructive criticism.

I like the idea.

But i like the idea of areas aswell. And as Vyse pointed out, me and booker have our own 'crew' but because were the only ones around our 'area' we are the only members.... so if you look at it that way, its not exactly a good way of doing it.

But having said that, if anyone is looking for a crew, were looking for 3 new guys, skill levels aren't important, were in it for the fun. Were 45 minutes out of Brisbane inner City.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
The way Paff is thinking is the right way.

There's no reason why there couldn't be several crews based in Brisbane. In my listing of crews on the second page (Which Yokai should add to the OP), 3 of them were based in Brisbane and one on the gold coast.

In melbourne, they're divided by East/West and New South Wales is beginning to create scenes for different areas as well.

For Queensland, we need different areas of the gold coast and Brisbane divided up.

Even if crews occupied virtually the same area, it doesn't really matter.
Dividing crews by area is only a rough guide.

Just form a crew with whomever you play with the most.
And if you don't have a group like that yet, there 's no reason why players like Greenstreet or Arrow couldn't join existing ones if they'll have them.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I think it's a very interesting social dynamic how crews are 'organically' created. In many places, crews are not necessarily created as a by-product of geography, but the similar interests or groups people below to. Many crews start from the high school or university, for instance. Some people just like other people. Ultimately for a city like Melbourne or Sydney, people formed mini-crews naturally as they chose who to play or align themselves with, although they ultimately serve one under common flag (VIC, NSW etc.). SE-Queensland is different because it is made up of several medium-sized cities, which reinforces the need for geographical-based crews to keep the scene kicking. It has its advantages.

Yokai

Smash Ace
I agree with all the points stated. Crews are usually organically created (love that analogy) and area has to be a factor.

So Ive updated the first post to include current crews and just a general statement about what to do. flame all you want, im trying to do the right thing.

How do we go about subdividing SE qld? what if say, I want to still remain GC (for arguments sake)?

we need to get some sort of criteria for breaking it up, yet still have it somewhat fair, if that makes sense.

Top Bottom