• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Medusa's Secret Hideout

Favourite commander of Medusa's army?

• Twinbellows

• Dark Lord Gaul

• Hewdraw

• Pandora

• Thanatos

Results are only viewable after voting.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I get the Viridi support. Her sarcastic nature was a treasure in Uprising, and as a Goddess of Nature she has a lot she can potentially do. The likelihood of getting a unique KI newcomer is unlikely to say the least though.

Back to Medusa, I really like KMDP's idea of taking Mewtwo's Disable. It makes perfect sense, even if the move is terrible in execution. Taking the windboxes from side and down smash, removing the invincibility from dash attack and bair, giving her superspeed as side b, these are all small changes that are easily done that make Medusa a more aggressive mirror to Palutena's defensive playstyle. I think she should also keep warp, cause that's one of the things she actually does in her boss battle. I'm not sure if she should just keep Autoreticle as B or have some dark variation of Heavenly Light, but she does shoot out blasts of light from her eyes just like Autoreticle so that'll probably fit more.

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
She was always cooler than any other god in KIU to me and has a bigger history in the franchise. I also think it's a bit boring to always use Hades as a villain in stories based on greek mythology when you have so many fun monsters and gods, Medusa is definitely one of my favorite!

Really hope she gets in now that we know villains are a big theme to the game and echoes aren't just different models. Add me to the support list.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I still support Medusa, just as I did for Smash 4. She'd just be a cool addition to the cast being old-school (the OG Kid Icarus antagonist), a female and a villain. I think her design and moves would be pretty cool. And let's face it, she's much more deserving than Dark Pit, he only really made it because he was an easy clone for Pit. But Medusa is to Pit and Palutena what Ganondorf is to Link and Zelda, so she deserves the spot.

I think she has a good shot of being a Palutena Echo. After the last direct, we know her animations and moves can vary significantly from the original, so there's no reason for her not to be added, really. :p

PS: Does anyone know if Geno Boost Geno Boost ever made a cute animated icon for Medusa such as the ones in my signature?

Jovian the Conqueror

Smash Cadet
I never understood people's desire for Viridi. She never did anything within her one game. She doesn't even make a physical appearance. I've seen some people make up the idea that since she's a goddess of nature she can have plant powers. You know who also can do that? Every grass Pokémon ever.
Well, in fairness to Viridi, she did a lot more than Medusa did plotwise. But at least we actually got to fight Medusa.

But Sakurai's (and the fandom's for that matter) bias for Viridi was evident when she got in as a Mii costme in Smash Wii U and 3DS, and contributed to every Palutena's guidance conversation.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Hmm the echo ideas are great. I just don't know what they will do with the wings as smash attacks tho.

Heck, that could be part of the trailer. Simon and Richter fighting a horde of Medusa heads... Then they encounter one head that won't go down so easily.
I absolutely love this idea this has to happen. It won't be a cutscene if she's an echo tho.
I never understood people's desire for Viridi. She never did anything within her one game. She doesn't even make a physical appearance. I've seen some people make up the idea that since she's a goddess of nature she can have plant powers. You know who also can do that? Every grass Pokémon ever.
You do see her in game in one chapter reset bomb forest.

Viridis personality is much more lovable, has a scythe not a staff so that's unique, is a ****** and the kid Icarus nature powers would be different than any Pokémon grass starters. Her lack of fighting within the game is her biggest negative so it's not as easy to make a moveset for her. I certainly like Viridi more than Medusa but in smash I want Medusa in first.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd imagine Medusa would have a gameplay based trailer like the rest of the echo's. Though I can imagine them doing something similar to Bayonetta's trailer. Like Pit commenting on how hideous the Medusa statue is, while Dark Pit (or Palutena) replies that it isn't as hideous as the Medusa they know, Only for the real Medusa to then approach and remarks on their insults and blow them away. commence fighting montage with maybe Pit, Dark Pit and Palutena commenting on how she managed to come back after Uprising.

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I'd imagine Medusa would have a gameplay based trailer like the rest of the echo's.
Probably. Though Richter being part of Simon's reveal means are now fair game for reveal trailers. It's just that the have to be associated to an original newcomer's reveal, I guess. :p

I'm not sure if I like the idea of Medusa being a Palutena echo. Seems a little lacklustre.
It's the best chance we got though, to be honest.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wouldn't mind her base moveset being similar to Palutena's.
But I want new specials on her. At least 3 of them. (So she can keep warp).

I know Sakurai bias can take it that far. Just look at Chrom. :p :D

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
She has enough old Palutena custom moves to borrow from to basically be an unique character, while still being an echo (her realistic only shot of getting in now). Lightweight would be amazing.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And because she is "more likable and funnier" than Medusa.

But honesty humor never mattered in Smash, Ganondorf isn't funny.

Also, I am still in the belief that the Reset Bomb Forest deconfirms her more than teases her.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If they need devil/bat wings for Medusa and don't have the time to model a unique one for her, they can probably recycle the wings from Ridley/Charizard/Meta Knight to get the job done quickly. If I recall correctly, I think they did something like that before in one of the previous Smash games.

Last edited:

SamDunk

Smash Cadet

Also, I am still in the belief that the Reset Bomb Forest deconfirms her more than teases her.
I don't think it's about humor as much as it is personality and, in turn, popularity. For instance, as it stands now (of course Dixie could be confirmed later but still), K. Rool is Sakurai's chosen new DK rep even though Dixie has been in far more games and is much more relevant. That's because K. Rool is more popular and thus probably got more votes in the Smash Ballot. Viridi's dialogue is considered more entertaining than Medusa's in Uprising, which makes her more popular, and that popularity could propel her into a playable character spot.

That said, I agree that the Reset Bomb Forest probably makes her less likely, and think that logically Medusa deserves it more.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
If they need devil/bat wings for Medusa and don't have the time to model a unique one for her, they can probably recycle the wings from Ridley/Charizard/Meta Knight to get the job done quickly. If I recall correctly, I think they did something like that before in one of the previous Smash games.
Actually, I do think it's possible and wouldn't mind that at all.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Seeing as how we got Simon Belmont and Richter Belmont, I'd laugh if Medusa was introduced, since both Pit, Simon, and Richter Belmont have fought Medusa before. :awesome:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
If we're getting another baddie echo, I'd really like it to be Medusa. Personality-wise she's not really among the best of Uprising's cast, but her design is super awesome, probably the best. Plus, seniority. I think Palutena's current set of specials would suit her well with just a visual makeover, similar to Dark Samus. Replacing the smash attack wings with snakes is a cool idea. She could even have an alt with her true appearance, though that could also be saved for her Final Smash.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

she got a 3d model in it. can see that despite the tiny size of the image. Viridi deconfirmed for certain. :/

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
She could even have an alt with her true appearance, though that could also be saved for her Final Smash.
The best thing would be to have that form as a Final Smash obviously, but to retain the face after using the FS. Better, let Medusa have a taunt to switch faces!

About the echo potential... While I like the idea of borriwing moves from others customs of Palutena, I think that Palutena's SSBU kit is the best suited for Medusa.

We always agree about warp, so that's a given.
Autoreticle can change it's animation to be a projectile shot from Medusa's eyes. If it gets a "stone status" it would be a huge plus, make it one big projectile instead of three shots for example.
Explosive Flame is one of the most "violent" move of Palutena. It doesn't even really need to be a dark explosion, even though it could be neat.
Finally, Reflect/Counter... Grouping both is a great idea, and I don't really see Lightweight and especially Celestial Fireworks.

About Smash attacks, snakes are a good idea, it could also be a burst of dark energy. Not really fond of giving her wings.
Considering Chrom, she could have her Uppercut instead of the F-Smash.

The important thing is to give her different animations, like Dark Samus. I don't see Medusa doing Palutena's Back throw for example.
She does have great idle poses from her idols already. One is closer to Palutena, but they both give the feel of a villain.

normal.jpg
rare.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I damn near banged my head against a wall due to somebody arguing that Medusa shouldn't be in Smash because she wasn't funny.

Like, why does Medusa have to be funny? Just because she didn't yuk it up didn't mean Sakurai despised her.

And I absolutely agree that the Bomb Forest deconfirmed Viridi.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I damn near banged my head against a wall due to somebody arguing that Medusa shouldn't be in Smash because she wasn't funny.

Like, why does Medusa have to be funny? Just because she didn't yuk it up didn't mean Sakurai despised her.
Especially considering that Medusa was the one with a rare AR idol card like Palutena, not Viridi or Hades. Being funny definitely isn't an argument for being playable or not.

Technically, it's merely a projection of Viridi. But Viridi is also unique and impossible to replace, compared to Link and Alfonzo. And Dedede does disappear on Dreamland 64 when he is on stage, but he does have an effect, Viridi change the whole layout of the stage.

Kumashock

Smash Cadet

She doesn't need to be funny, while I love the humor in KIU, I prefer Medusa as a serious villain and the actual threat to Palutena. If anything, it makes her more unique in the game, everyone else has a similar funny tone, but Medusa has no time for that and it makes her unique, menacing and interesting.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Sign Up as a supporter as well (We need more villains in the game and a Kid Icarus character who's name isn't freaking Pit)!

Also! I do believe this would make Medusa the first female villain fighter in Smash who isn't an alternate costume for another character if so!

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I support Medusa being in Super Smash Bros Ultimate, because Kid Icarus could use another character and she is the perfect choice. Look at the roster, Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit.. Its missing something and looks lacking especially for a series Sakurai himself worked on, its needs a villain character and Medusa is the perfect villain.. I think Medusa should the next villain to be revealed for Super Smash Bros Ultimate!

Btw, I just dont see the appeal of adding Hades.. First off he seems like he would just be a Ganondorf clone with lasers and overall he just seems more like he should be a stage boss, maybe for like a new Underworld stage like Dracula is for the Dracula Castle stage.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Imo Hades would definitely fit best as a special guest in Palutena's guidance. He easily had the most entertaining dialogue in Uprising and his trollish, 4th wall breaking nature would be a perfect fit for commenting on characters from other franchises.

TeamFlareZakk

Imo Hades would definitely fit best as a special guest in Palutena's guidance. He easily had the most entertaining dialogue in Uprising and his trollish, 4th wall breaking nature would be a perfect fit for commenting on characters from other franchises.
Indeed, Hades and Viridi already do that in Palutena's temple and also Medusa has been in Kid Icarus since the first game on NES, that counts for something and besides her trophy she hasnt appeared in Smash yet so I'm ready for her big debut.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
The Greek mythological Medusa had wings, in some iterations. I believe some iterations even had wings on their heads!
Oh, I didn't knew that actually. I should search about that, to see how it could look on Medusa!

The best thing would be to have him as a gigantic boss IMO, and have comments on every fighters (like Metal Face who have quotes for Shulk). And having him can bring him in Palutena's Guidance!

About Medusa, one thing that seems important is that the game seems to be more focused on rivals than villains, although characters can be both. In K.Rool trailer, we do have Metaknight, who isn't a villain, and every other characters are reccuring villains / rivals (Bowser, Ganondorf, Wolf, Ridley, K.Rool... All are highly tied to the heroes). We could add Dracula as a boss, too.

If this isn't only for K.Rool's trailer, then I believe that it can boost Medusa's chances, as she is the counterpart of Palutena, and the reccuring villain of Kid Icarus so far.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I know some people were saying Medusa doesn't have a shield, which would limit her echo-ness, but Palutena only uses her shield for 2 attacks. Her dash attack, and her back air. Those could easily be replaced or slightly altered. Take Palutenia's dash attack

For medusa it would be just forming a dark energy shield or barrier at that spot. not hard to do.

Her back smash could work very similar as well, just formin g a dark energy where the shield would be during the hitbox of the attack.

As for the 2 smash attacks that involve ethereal wings, as was stated. she can use summoned ethereal snakes or her snakes in her hair instead.

I was thinking with the forward smash, Medusa could event animate the same, but the snakes come from her hair, first leaning back, then lunging forward with the same hitbox. As you can see the wings already form close to her head already, so replacing them with the snakes from her hair would be easy

Her downsmash could also work with her snake hair. Once again the wings form at her shoulder blads, and thats close to where the snakes on medusa reach., so having them grown out the strike to each side should be simple.

I did want to say something about the Up smash. while nothing needs to be changed... I kinda like the idea of changing the animation slightly. Instead of just raising her staff, I like the idea of Medusa doing that decapitating Upercut she did to Hades at the end of Upraising., as shown in ancienttobacco's post)

I'm hoping Medusa has a chance as an echo this time around. Though it would be a shame if she doesn't have her decapitating uppercut.

Keep the beam of light and the same hitbox, but also have the point of medusa's fist connecting with the beam would be the sweetspot and do massive damage. In general I see Medusa having a few"sweet spots" in her attacks to differentiate a bit from Palutena.

The up air I see can be replaced with medusa's symbol for the underworld army instead of Paluetenas light symbol.

Also, I should I said this earlier, but Palutena is right handed, and Medusa is left handed.

I don't think this would mess with the rig and attack animations too much. simply flipping the original model should work well enough. hit boxes should still have the same size and reach.

As for B moves. As everyone said Warp would stay the same. As would explosive blast. no need to edit these at all. Maybe change some of the effects a bit, like dark sparks during medusa's ward and maybe a black fire ball for explosive blast.

Autoretical I think could stay the same, just have the symbol be a dark purple, and the blast come from Medusa's snakes, as it does during her fights. she could still move her rod out but the light comes from the snake hairs, which move up a bit before shooting the attack. Could add a slow/heavy effect to the target thats hit by all 3 shots, implying a sort of petrification.

While down b could work as the counter/reflect, I think it being a modified heavenly light would be better and more fitting. make the attack dark light of course. The light is around her as she uses teleport, so we know she can summon dark light.

Final smash would have to be her Gorgon head. could work a bit like snakes final smash mixed with bowsers. The giant head flighs in the back ground, and she can pick multiple spots that fire a strong petrifying laser. anyone hit by it takes massive damage and then is turned to stone, stuck in place for 5 seconds, and then gets launched away. and other damage hit to them while they are stoned deals extra damage and adds to the launch distance.

Every other attack Medusa has can be a direct copy of Palutena's, with just added dark effects to her staff. these I feel would be the ones that would need changing. And this is not counting anything else, like frame data or speed or damage of attacks that make her an echo(like Lucina's no sweet spot or dark pits slightly slower attacks)

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Has Palutena's Medusa alt been shown for Ultimate?

I know Samus's Dark Samus alt being missing was a good indication of her being an Echo.

zferolie

Smash Hero

I know Samus's Dark Samus alt being missing was a good indication of her being an Echo.
I looked a few times and it has not yet. We won't know till a screen shot comes of it, or they release a demo with Palutena in it

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I know some people were saying Medusa doesn't have a shield, which would limit her echo-ness, but Palutena only uses her shield for 2 attacks. Her dash attack, and her back air. Those could easily be replaced or slightly altered. Take Palutenia's dash attack

Personally, I'd see an attack like Little Mac's Dash attack. This would reference the intro of the boss battle in Uprising!

A simple punch similar to Ganondorf also work, but added dark effect can be a nice touch!

As for the 2 smash attacks that involve ethereal wings, as was stated. she can use summoned ethereal snakes or her snakes in her hair instead.

I was thinking with the forward smash, Medusa could event animate the same, but the snakes come from her hair, first leaning back, then lunging forward with the same hitbox. As you can see the wings already form close to her head already, so replacing them with the snakes from her hair would be easy

Her downsmash could also work with her snake hair. Once again the wings form at her shoulder blads, and thats close to where the snakes on medusa reach., so having them grown out the strike to each side should be simple.
I like the idea of etheral snakes. Her snakes growing though... It may be weird. A Dark burst of energy could be nice too. Think Megaman's Down Smash for... The down smash. As said earlier, Medusa can be seen sometime with wings in mythology, but I prefer something different.

I did want to say something about the Up smash. while nothing needs to be changed... I kinda like the idea of changing the animation slightly. Instead of just raising her staff, I like the idea of Medusa doing that decapitating Upercut she did to Hades at the end of Upraising., as shown in ancienttobacco's post)
Now that's an idea that I really love!

The up air I see can be replaced with medusa's symbol for the underworld army instead of Paluetenas light symbol.
This, of having her snakes doing the multihit, biting everything above.

Also, I should I said this earlier, but Palutena is right handed, and Medusa is left handed.

I don't think this would mess with the rig and attack animations too much. simply flipping the original model should work well enough. hit boxes should still have the same size and reach.
Yeah, I don't think this is a problem at all. Look at characters like Mario or Bowser who flip their animations according to the direction they are facing.

As for B moves. As everyone said Warp would stay the same. As would explosive blast. no need to edit these at all. Maybe change some of the effects a bit, like dark sparks during medusa's ward and maybe a black fire ball for explosive blast.
Indeed, a Dark effet should be on warp.

Autoretical I think could stay the same, just have the symbol be a dark purple, and the blast come from Medusa's snakes, as it does during her fights. she could still move her rod out but the light comes from the snake hairs, which move up a bit before shooting the attack. Could add a slow/heavy effect to the target thats hit by all 3 shots, implying a sort of petrification.
I don't remember if the snake shoot things in KI:U. But why not? Make her lean forward and slam her staff on the ground for a more "villain" animation.

While down b could work as the counter/reflect, I think it being a modified heavenly light would be better and more fitting. make the attack dark light of course. The light is around her as she uses teleport, so we know she can summon dark light.
I'm biased toward heavenly light but some sort of dark aura, a miasm can work.

Final smash would have to be her Gorgon head. could work a bit like snakes final smash mixed with bowsers. The giant head flighs in the back ground, and she can pick multiple spots that fire a strong petrifying laser. anyone hit by it takes massive damage and then is turned to stone, stuck in place for 5 seconds, and then gets launched away. and other damage hit to them while they are stoned deals extra damage and adds to the launch distance.
I like it! Another possibility would be Medusa to first transform people into stone and initiate a cinematic. But having the giant head behind the stage would look really really cool.

Every other attack Medusa has can be a direct copy of Palutena's, with just added dark effects to her staff. these I feel would be the ones that would need changing. And this is not counting anything else, like frame data or speed or damage of attacks that make her an echo(like Lucina's no sweet spot or dark pits slightly slower attacks)
I would also change some throws, mainly the Back-throw. Maybe change the grab to have snakes do the pummel to! Maybe down-air too, but this is not necessary.

Yep, no indication of Medusa's color. But this would not disconfirm Medusa IMO: Palutena and Medusa have really different designs. Marth is keeping his Roy color so far, as well as Pit's black alternate.

It's just that Samus and Dark Samus are really similar in design. Samus change for her Dark Samus / Black alternate seems similar to Pit's change from Dark Pit to black.

Luminario

Smash Lord

For medusa it would be just forming a dark energy shield or barrier at that spot. not hard to do.

Her back smash could work very similar as well, just formin g a dark energy where the shield would be during the hitbox of the attack.

Keep the beam of light and the same hitbox, but also have the point of medusa's fist connecting with the beam would be the sweetspot and do massive damage. In general I see Medusa having a few"sweet spots" in her attacks to differentiate a bit from Palutena.

Good ideas. Heavenly Light can probably be changed to look more like the poisonous cloud Medusa emits from her hand. I'd still like side B to be Superspeed, it just fits Medusa's more aggressive approach, though if they have to keep most of her moves the same as Palutena's then Explosive Flame is fine. ZSS' final smash also works really well for Medusa, as she even shoots a red laser in her gorgon head boss sequence.

TeamFlareZakk

I Like this idea! Damn, her gorgon head have so many possibilities for a Final Smash.
Im thinking she would get big and shoot lasers from the backround for her final smash.. Maybe as normal for a few rounds and then she unmasks the Gorgon for one huge attack.

AtomTrap

Smash Rookie
Medusa is probably my most wanted Echo character. It is kinda crazy how she went from a pipe dream to plausible. At first I didn't really want her to be an Echo, but after seeing how much of Dark Samus's personality and character were translated well into her Echo gave me hope that Sakurai will nail down Medusa even if she restricted to Paultena's moveset. I think that Medusa probably has the best chance out of all the Kid Icarus characters considering she is the easiest to make and Sakurai adding more Villains.

Top Bottom