• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Medusa's Secret Hideout

Favourite commander of Medusa's army?

• Twinbellows

• Dark Lord Gaul

• Hewdraw

• Pandora

• Thanatos

Results are only viewable after voting.

AtomTrap

Smash Rookie
I would love if her final smash was her boss fight and she shot projectiles at the stage. If she gets in, I really hope she gets a unique final smash and not a spoopy looking black hole laser.

Last edited:

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
I do really love Medusa's design design and voice, but I do think she could benefit from some more characterization. I think a really interesting take on her character would to have Medusa have a tragic past (kinda like how the one from Greek Mythology was turned into a Gorgon by Athena really just because she was r*ped in a temple). Her and Palutena could have a very intense conversation where Palutena sees Medusa's story from another perspective or Pit learns that Palutena didn't tell the whole truth of Medusa stories. The former would also flesh out Palutena's character as it gives her actions that she may not be proud of now.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I would love if her final smash was her boss fight and she shot projectiles at the stage. If she gets in, I really hope she gets a unique final smash and not a spoopy looking black hole laser.
Considering Pit's change for his Final Smash, I believe that well get something like :ultbowser: or :ultzss:

I do really love Medusa's design design and voice, but I do think she could benefit from some more characterization. I think a really interesting take on her character would to have Medusa have a tragic past (kinda like how the one from Greek Mythology was turned into a Gorgon by Athena really just because she was r*ped in a temple). Her and Palutena could have a very intense conversation where Palutena sees Medusa's story from another perspective or Pit learns that Palutena didn't tell the whole truth of Medusa stories. The former would also flesh out Palutena's character as it gives her actions that she may not be proud of now.
Well, she has the backstory of being transformed and banished by Palutena. It's rather manichean, as it's because she dried crops and turned people into stone, but this + her surprise comeback in the end of Uprising is enough to me. She help the heroes simply for her own revenge, it's not a redemption.

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice

If you ask me that's kinda what her story is already. Viridi literally tries to blow up all humans in Uprising, and Palutena doesn't banish her or turn her into a monster or anything. And Palutena isn't very convincing when Viridi asks why Palutena why humans should be allowed to live on the earth while destroying it and disregarding all other life. Medusa seems to have been treated pretty unfairly by Palutena, at least compared to Viridi

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I know this is old, but did anyone notice in Palutena's trailer that at the end she said: "Dark Pit, come here to crash my party?"

Which is the very same thing Medusa says to Pit on their first encounter in Uprising. (Well, I think she says "Hello Pit, come here to crash my homecoming party?" or something along the lines).
Anyway, it's just a little detail that makes Medusa's inclusion make a little bit more sense, to me at least.

Jovian the Conqueror

Smash Cadet
I know this is old, but did anyone notice in Palutena's trailer that at the end she said: "Dark Pit, come here to crash my party?"

Which is the very same thing Medusa says to Pit on their first encounter in Uprising. (Well, I think she says "Hello Pit, come here to crash my homecoming party?" or something along the lines).
Anyway, it's just a little detail that makes Medusa's inclusion make a little bit more sense, to me at least.
I think you might be reading too much into it.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

Yeah, I don't see evidences in trailers from the last game. It was just a nice little reference.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Updated my sig to reflect my support for Medusa! (As well as mark confirmed characters).

I never really cared about Ribbon Girl. I want Medusa much more, TBH.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Or at least get big and shoot the blackhole laser.
Considering Pit's change for his Final Smash, I believe that well get something like :ultbowser: or :ultzss:

Well, she has the backstory of being transformed and banished by Palutena. It's rather manichean, as it's because she dried crops and turned people into stone, but this + her surprise comeback in the end of Uprising is enough to me. She help the heroes simply for her own revenge, it's not a redemption.
Yeah I was thinking something like Medusa getting big like Giga Bowser in the background and shooting lasers.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Guys, if you're so determined to make Medusa an echo, at least pull a Chrom and have her Down-B be a copy of Mewtwo's Disable. I mean, you do know that Petrify is a power in Uprising, right?

And for my two cents on her final smash, the initial attack petrifies, then cue a cinematic of her going boss size and crushing them all with her fist.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Guys, if you're so determined to make Medusa an echo, at least pull a Chrom and have her Down-B be a copy of Mewtwo's Disable. I mean, you do know that Petrify is a power in Uprising, right?
While I would really like it, I wonder if echoes would borrow from another serie. I'm not sure if they would create a special condition for an echo, too. The Castlevania Medusa Head may answer that, though.

And for my two cents on her final smash, the initial attack petrifies, then cue a cinematic of her going boss size and crushing them all with her fist.
This is the easiest way to implement the stone. Definitely a possibility.

D

Deleted member

Considering that Final Smashes now have to be more about the impact than the setup means "transformation" Smashes are limited to quick-fire attacks or cutscenes. My ideal Final Smash for Medusa would have to be her changing into her "Gorgon" face and targeting fighters with a reticle before launching a sweeping laser attack.

Anyway, although Isaac is my #1, Medusa is my #2, especially after K. Rool made it at long last. I'll do what it takes to fan the flames of darkness until Medusa rises from the afterlife... or she's left alone for another 25 years or so.

I kinda imagine what Medusa did on the other side was just sleep a lot and spent her waking moments fantasizing about torture. Except, after the events of Uprising, she may have just put up a "Do Not Disturb" sign wherever she wound up, lol.

EDIT: Whaddya know?! My 666th post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Medusa would honestly have the most freedom out of all the potential echoes because of Palutena's massive treasure trove of unique custom moves that could easily be swapped out and modified with different effects.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Medusa would honestly have the most freedom out of all the potential echoes because of Palutena's massive treasure trove of unique custom moves that could easily be swapped out and modified with different effects.
Hm, let's play a game and try to adapt every special moves of Palutena for Medusa.

Autoreticle: Projectiles shot from the eyes. Simple and obvious.
Explosive Flame: Doesn't need to change, but can become a dark blast instead
Heavenly Light: A Dark Aura or a poisonous gas.

Reflect: Doesn't need to change
Angelic Missile: It's mostly the name that is a problem. This could become a multihit with the snakes biting.
Super Speed: No idea. Maybe change the animation with Medusa reaching with her hand (Think Ganondorf or Ridley's side-B animation, without the grab... Or make it a grab)

Warp: Another obvious move for Medusa, just give her the dark effects like in KI;U.
Jump Glide: No idea, mostly a change of animation I guess.
Rocket Jump: Like Explosive Flame, maybe make it dark. (warp is the way to go, though)

Counter: No need to change
Lightweight: The most insteresting thing that comes to my mind, using Trade-Off instead, giving yourself percentages for a boost of various stats. Something that a villain would do in order to win.
Celestial Fireworks: Meteor Shower maybe?

This is only a quick thought, I probably missed things in KI powers.

Last edited:

AtomTrap

Smash Rookie
My biggest hope is they somehow work Petrify into her normal moveset. The 1 thing that everyone knows about Medusa (in general) is that she turns people into stone so I hope they can make it work. You can't have a Medusa that can't turn people into stone, and I feel that a Final Smash would make it too rare. Like a chargeable down b would work great or something.

D

Deleted member

Who's to say custom moves will return?

Anyway, instead of making 12 distinctive moves for Medusa, can't we just focus on 4 that best suit her? She's not into that pomp and circumstance nonsense.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
My biggest hope is they somehow work Petrify into her normal moveset. The 1 thing that everyone knows about Medusa (in general) is that she turns people into stone so I hope they can make it work. You can't have a Medusa that can't turn people into stone, and I feel that a Final Smash would make it too rare. Like a chargeable down b would work great or something.
I think the best chance of getting this effet would be on the Autoreticle version of Medusa.

Who's to say custom moves will return?

Anyway, instead of making 12 distinctive moves for Medusa, can't we just focus on 4 that best suit her? She's not into that pomp and circumstance nonsense.
Well, they come back for the Miis :p

I was just trying, for fun, to come up with Medusa's version of the moves, and see if we can come up with a 4-Move kit different from Palutena, based on her lost customs.

But really, I think Palutena's SSBU kit is the best suited for Medusa, with tweaks of course.

Luminario

Smash Lord
People suggested Mewtwo's Disable which is pretty smart since you have to make eye contact for both the move and Medusa turning people to stone. Castlevania's Medusa might have a petrify effect which she can add on to the Disable to make it more appropriate.
There's also the possiblity of Medusa's autoreticle stunning opponents. They could balance it by only shooting out a single shot then.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Yeah, I think that the Medusa head do not confirm or confirm Medusa, but if it starts to petrify people I'll be reaaaaaally suspicious about our Medusa.

The disable could replace the neutral-B, too, no need to mimick the commands I guess.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Yes I would like to be added to the supporters please. I've never liked the Hades request because Medusa is just more iconic and classic of a villain to Pit than Hades. She has an awesome unique design with the snake hair and she's a female villain which there is only one of. Medusa would be great please add me to the list.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Add my name to be added to the Medusa support list too please. It seems there has been a villain theme for Smash Ultimate and I believe Medusa would be the perfect choice for that role seeing that she is iconic to the entire Kid Icarus series, imagine seeing one of those hero vs villains portraits with Pit and Palutena facing off with Medusa.. I couldnt imagine Hades in that picture, to me he seems like if anything a stage boss.

Last edited:

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
I still think it means nothing for Medusa, I'll wait for the Medusa's head behavior. If anything, this at least confirm that Sakurai is not afraid to add a character with snakes on her head.

... Or simply Ridley, who is scary enough.
Yea I was kinda thinking that at the very least it means they've already animated some snake hair so maybe they could have reused animations for a playable Medusa, but I don't really think it effects her chances.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Wait, we still don't know what that Medusa head does?
Unless I'm missing something, we haven't see the effect of any monster. The best we have are Death flying, the Mummy attacking nothing and the Medusa Head flying.
I'm not even sure if the monster will attack at this point.

Dracula's attacks were only seen on another special stage as a boss, like the Rathalos. And I'm not counting Death killing Luigi in the cinematic.

I'll rewatch the direct, in doubt.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wait, hold it!
Is there a Medusa Head item confirmed already?

Also keep in mind just in case:
1) Medusa Head was an item separate from Medusa herself in KIU
2) Medusa heads are a common, recurring enemy in Castlevania.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Unless I'm missing something, we haven't see the effect of any monster. The best we have are Death flying, the Mummy attacking nothing and the Medusa Head flying.
I'm not even sure if the monster will attack at this point.

Dracula's attacks were only seen on another special stage as a boss, like the Rathalos.

I'll rewatch the direct, in doubt.
Oh no, It's just I thought they already addressed it or shown it off to what it does but I guess not.
If a petrification status is a thing is in this game, then that would be interesting indeed. At the very least that might mean that the Medusa's Head item from Uprising might be in the game.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Wait, hold it!
Is there a Medusa Head item confirmed already?

Also keep in mind just in case:
1) Medusa Head was an item separate from Medusa herself in KIU
2) Medusa heads are a common, recurring enemy in Castlevania.
Not an item, just the Castlevania enemy. And if we do have Death and Carmilla, there's also also other generic enemies like the werewolf.

Oh no, It's just I thought they already addressed it or shown it off to what it does but I guess not.
If a petrification status is a thing is in this game, then that would be interesting indeed. At the very least that might mean that the Medusa's Head item from Uprising might be in the game.
Yeah, I've seen nothing special in the direct regarding attacks. I'm not even sure if monsters such as the creature or the werewolf are on the same axis as the players, or just in the background.
And if we only get KI Medusa Head as an item I would be really pissed I think :laugh: It would be like Lip's scepter, having part of the character but not the character. I really prefer an assist trophy in that regard.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Not an item, just the Castlevania enemy. And if we do have Death and Carmilla, there's also also other generic enemies like the werewolf.

Yeah, I've seen nothing special in the direct regarding attacks. I'm not even sure if monsters such as the creature or the werewolf are on the same axis as the players, or just in the background.
And if we only get KI Medusa Head as an item I would be really pissed I think :laugh: It would be like Lip's scepter, having part of the character but not the character. I really prefer an assist trophy in that regard.
Actually reading through the blog post. Sakurai is saying that they're characters that make guest appearances on that stage. Didn't he say the same for that Bayonetta boss in her stage? I'm guessing that might mean that they're just there to give the stage a bit more flare but don't effect the battle in any way.

I'm thinking they're probably just cosmetic's too now. Not actual hazards.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Actually reading through the blog post. Sakurai is saying that they're characters that make guest appearances on that stage. Didn't he say the same for that Bayonetta boss in her stage? I'm guessing that might mean that they're just there to give the stage a bit more flare but don't effect the battle in any way.

I'm thinking they're probably just cosmetic's too now. Not actual hazards.
I think too. Especially with Kid Dracula's shadow being simply his artwork.

TeamFlareZakk

I still think it means nothing for Medusa, I'll wait for the Medusa's head behavior. If anything, this at least confirm that Sakurai is not afraid to add a character with snakes on her head.

... Or simply Ridley, who is scary enough.
Surely Sakurai was thinking about Kid Icarus Medusa when he put that there.. I'm taking it as some sort of sign for Medusa being a upcoming fiighter.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Surely Sakurai was thinking about Kid Icarus Medusa when he put that there.. I'm taking it as some sort of sign for Medusa being a upcoming fiighter.
He probably thought about it, but leaving such a hint? As an echo maybe, but honestly, when I see theories pop up on the internet about chairs having the colors of Skull Kid's fairies or camera angle with the Rathalos screenshot looking like Golden Sun battle camera, it makes me wonder... Why the hell would Sakurai leave such blatant hints if the reveal of a newcomer is always a huge thing? Why give hints when you see the effect of Simon's leak?

Ridley and K.Rool trailers give you hype because right before the character is announced you think "Oh, it's HIM!". Doing that weeks prior to an announcement would kill it.

... But I realise that I digress and maybe thought too much of Medusa as a unique fighter :laugh:

For Medusa as an echo, maybe. Just maybe. I really hope that if she is an echo, her announcement will be her appearing in front of the Medusa Head.

After all, an echo character doesn't need to appear in a specific manner. :ultdaisy: was on Battlefield, :ultchrom: on Castle Siege hinting him, but :ultdarksamus: was on Spear Pillar. Music was hinting her, though.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

He probably thought about it, but leaving such a hint? As an echo maybe, but honestly, when I see theories pop up on the internet about chairs having the colors of Skull Kid's fairies or camera angle with the Rathalos screenshot looking like Golden Sun battle camera, it makes me wonder... Why the hell would Sakurai leave such blatant hints if the reveal of a newcomer is always a huge thing? Why give hints when you see the effect of Simon's leak?

Ridley and K.Rool trailers give you hype because right before the character is announced you think "Oh, it's HIM!". Doing that weeks prior to an announcement would kill it.

... But I realise that I digress and maybe thought too much of Medusa as a unique fighter :laugh:

For Medusa as an echo, maybe. Just maybe. I really hope that if she is an echo, her announcement will be her appearing in front of the Medusa Head.

After all, an echo character doesn't need to appear in a specific manner. :ultdaisy: was on Battlefield, :ultchrom: on Castle Siege hinting him, but :ultdarksamus: was on Spear Pillar. Music was hinting her, though.
I can totally imagine Medusa appearing in front of the Medusa Statue! Yes I think she might most likely be a echo fighter to Palutena she is after Palutena's counterpart right? Also worth mentioning like with others who were referrenced like Dark Samus and Daisy in palette swaps, Palutena had one of Medusa, currently her palettes are unknown, but still there is a good chance they may have removed Palutena's palette swap for Medusa to be her own echo character.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I can totally imagine Medusa appearing in front of the Medusa Statue! Yes I think she might most likely be a echo fighter to Palutena she is after Palutena's counterpart right? Also worth mentioning like with others who were referrenced like Dark Samus and Daisy in palette swaps, Palutena had one of Medusa, currently her palettes are unknown, but still there is a good chance they may have removed Palutena's palette swap for Medusa to be her own echo character.
She is Palutena's counterpart yes. Not so much now, considering Palutena transformed her into a monster (hence the snake hair, the hands and such) but yeah. They both were rulers of Angel Land, the goddesses of Light and Darkness respectively.

While there's so much to exploit from KI:U boss fight alone, it makes Medusa as an echo not farfetched. I may want her unique, but it's important to look at what's similar, different and what could be similar. That's why Dark Samus work as an echo, she may not use a screw attack in Metroid as far as I know, but it's not something out of place to see.

Considering palette swaps, it's true that Palutena have a Medusa alt, as well as a Dark Pit one (with silver instead of gold on the staff and shield). And if we ever see Palutena's Medusa color, don't loose hope: while I believe Samus lost her Dark Samus color because the designs are really close, this doesn't stop Pit from retaining his black alt, as well as dark pit retaining his white alt. And yet, both Pit and Dark Pit are closer to each others compared to Samus and Dark Samus, thanks to the different stance and other different animations. I could also mention Marth keeping his Roy color.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

She is Palutena's counterpart yes. Not so much now, considering Palutena transformed her into a monster (hence the snake hair, the hands and such) but yeah. They both were rulers of Angel Land, the goddesses of Light and Darkness respectively.

While there's so much to exploit from KI:U boss fight alone, it makes Medusa as an echo not farfetched. I may want her unique, but it's important to look at what's similar, different and what could be similar. That's why Dark Samus work as an echo, she may not use a screw attack in Metroid as far as I know, but it's not something out of place to see.

Considering palette swaps, it's true that Palutena have a Medusa alt, as well as a Dark Pit one (with silver instead of gold on the staff and shield). And if we ever see Palutena's Medusa color, don't loose hope: while I believe Samus lost her Dark Samus color because the designs are really close, this doesn't stop Pit from retaining his black alt, as well as dark pit retaining his white alt. And yet, both Pit and Dark Pit are closer to each others compared to Samus and Dark Samus, thanks to the different stance and other different animations. I could also mention Marth keeping his Roy color.
True. I hope Medusa is revealed with the next wave of echo fighters.

Top Bottom