• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] The Power of Science - TPoS6: 21st April

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
[size=+2]
Dif Presents:

THE POWER OF SCIENCE – poverty fighter tournament series
[/size]

we now have a facebook group =D https://www.facebook.com/groups/320695454613415/

What is it:
Roughly monthly tournament series for poverty fighters; primarily Super Smash Bros. Melee, Blazblue Continuum Shift II and Catherine.

When is it:
Next tournament is 21st april

Who to contact:
if you get lost, want to know more, etc etc you can contact me (Dif) by text/call on 0466365739 or pm me here/facebook.

Events:
SSBM Singles
SSBM Doubles
BBCS:2 Singles
Catherine
Other events are known to spontaneously exist on the day if people come up with them

Rough Schedule (subject to minor changes on the day):
venue opens at 10am. turn up before 11 to get into bracket... we've got it until 5pm

Rules:
Rules for both games are in the 2nd post

Costs:
General: $5 venue fee

What equipment to bring:
Melee: Bring your own gamecube controller. a gamecube/wii + copy of ssbm/ssbb is good. a CRT TV would be amazing.
Blazblue: Bring a Pad/Stick for your favourite console (or one for both seeing as neither is guaranteed). Bringing a console or TV would be nice but not expected or necessary.
Catherine: if you have a preference for pad or stick then bring one. if you don't care then you don't need to bring anything, something will be there.

Where:

HOW TO GET TO THE VENUE FOR THE POWER OF SCIENCE:​

This is where the venue is located (yay google maps). it's on the corner of scott st and ridge st.

if you're taking the train it's easy enough to get to from either virginia station or northgate station (as you can see on the map) you just get off, walk up either gympie st (not gympie road, they're completely different) if you're coming from northgate or belmore if you're coming from virginia and turn up scott st.

If you're coming from virginia station, this is the exit that you want to take

Coming out of the station this is what the area looks like. you want to go down the street that has been circled. it follows the train line back for a while.

this is what virginia station looks like after you've come out of it onto the right st. so if you leave teh station and turn around and it doesn't look like this YOU ****ED UP.

this is what having left northgate station looks like. it's a bit tricky getting to this exit, DON'T LEAVE VIA THE RAMP. you want to go the other way and then turn right. you have to walk through the carpark to do it. so you want to exit in the direction the train would go if it was heading AWAY from the city.

the easiest way to get there by car from probably where most of you are coming from will be from gympie road. to do that, turn right at rode road, follow it all the way to the end and turn left onto sandgate road. right onto northgate road soon after that, then left onto ridge st a bit down that road.

or you can go down hamilton road (turn towards westfield chermside) to the end and turn right onto sandgate and first left onto northgate (sharp turn).

this is what the venue looks like from the front when you're at the ridge st/scott st intersection (on ridge st)

however, we're using a room downstairs because it's cheaper and still big enough. from scott st (looking towards ridge st) it looks like this:

i circled the door to our room. park on teh st or next to the hall i don't care.

Food and drink:
Food/drink is not provided at or within easy walking distance of the venue. Although i try to bring canned drinks to sell since i know people are nubs and forget to bring their own drinks. Bring your own or get somebody who's driving to take you to westfield chermside. to get there get on sandgate then turn right onto hamilton road (look back up at the first map to figure out how to do that, or google maps it yourself). travel down hamilton until you get to the westfield.

Facilities:
male/female toilets, a sink, a water boiler, a microwave and a fridge.

[size=+2]
General Venue Rules
[/size]
• No Smoking on the venue grounds, if you have to smoke then walk a couple of steps down the street and do it
• Keep the place clean, we're all responsible people and nobody wants to have to pay extra for a cleaning bill
• Don't damage anything
• Be nice etc etc usual rules for public places. If you want the complete list of things we can or can't do then i can send that to you via email/will have a copy on me on the day.

[size=+2]
Past Results
[/size]
The Power of Science 1
singles
1: Accelerate ($35)
2: AussieRob ($20)
3: Scrubs ($10)
4: Dark
5: JBirds
5: Dif
7: Vyse
7: Uber
9: Cal
9: Arrow
9: Zydro
9: Hughalicious
13: Popdart

doubles
1: ben bs mew (Dif + Scrubs)
2: ULTIMATE SNSD FAN (Zac + Lachlan)
3: Mantlegen (Cal + Hugh)
4: Jamacain Bobsled Team (Uber + Jack)
5: black+white (vyse + karp0s)
5: Ryan + Rob (Ryan + Rob)
7: Dukes of Incredible Alcohol (Arrow + J Birds)
7: LVL 9 Ganon (Zydro + LVL 9 Ganon)

The Power of Science 2
Doubles:
1. C**K (Zac + Ryan)
2. Team SNSD (Kami + Lachlan)
3. Jamaican Bobsled Team (Uber + Darkfire)
4. Ask Rob (Rob + Jbirds)
5. It's just not libya without the colonel (Bob + Arrow + Hype)
5. SeaDif (SeaDorf + Dif)
7. Sword Iris (Cal + Hugh)

Singles:
1: Yul (zac)
2: Kami
3: Accelerate
4: Rob
5: Dark
7: Lachlan
7: Calibre
9: Hughalicous
9: JBirds
9: Arrow
9: Uber
13: Seadorf
13: TigerDorf

The Power of Science 3

Singles

1. Rob
2. Ben
3. Ryan
4. Dif
5. Cal
5. Jbirds
7. Hugh

Low Tier
1. Ben
2. Ryan
3. Dif
4. Cal
5. Rob
5. Hugh
7. Jbirds

The Power of Science 4
Doubles:
1: Zaigo and Rob Spectre
2: Treachery (Ben + Dif)
3: Nublets (Hugh + Jon)
4: Team Vibrant Vibrancy (Ryan + Jbirds)

Singles:
1: Zaigo 'The Beast' Umehara
2: Benston Wong
3: Aussie Spectre
4: Ryan Harvey
5: Michael Bolton
5: Jennifer Birds
7: The Dr Pee Pee
7: Sasquatch
9: Calibur
13: HugS

Low Tier:
1: Zaigo 'The Beast' Umehara
2: Benston Wong
3: Arrow
4: Ryan Harvey
5: Jennifer Birds
7: Calibur
7: Aussie Spectre
9: Hugh

Blazblue:
1: Dif
2: Aki
3: Hugh
4: Arrow
5: Calibur

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
[size=+2]
Melee Ruleset
[/size]

General Rules
• Metaknight is banned
• Items frequency is set to NONE
• The stock is set to 4
• The time limit is set to 8 minutes
• Finals of both winners and losers bracket (including grand) are best of 5, all other sets are best of 3.
• In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by rock-paper-scissors
• No player may counterpick the stage they last won on unless agreed upon by both players
• Timeout matches will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie as well, the match will be re-played.
• Master Hand is banned
• Glitches and tactics used to indefinitely forfeit the opponent's control or to indefinitely stall a match are banned. E.g. IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc. | wall-bombing, rising pound, etc. Disputes on indefinite stalling will be settled by the TO (Dif)
• Any banned stage may be played as a counterpick as long as all participants agree
• Set pause to OFF
• Set team attack to ON
• Unless otherwise stated on the day, double elimination brackets are used

Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Players choose their characters for the first match (double blind selection may be called)
2. The first stage is chosen by stage striking starting with the player from the smallest numbered controller port (i.e. 1 ->2 ->3->4); first player strikes one stage, second player strikes two stages, first player strikes the last stage
3. The winner of the previous match chooses a stage to ban for the rest of the set if the previous match was their first win of the set
4. The loser of the previous match announces the stage for the next match from the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List (see general rules section for exceptions)
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 3-7 for all proceeding matches

Singles Random Stage List
Fountain of Dreams
Dream Land
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Singles Counter Stage List
Pokemon Stadium
Rainbow Cruise
Kongo Jungle 64
Brinstar
PokeFloats

Teams Random Stage List
Pokemon Stadium
Dream Land
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Teams Counter Stage List
Kongo Jungle 64
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
PokeFloats

[size=+2]
BlazBlue Ruleset[/size]

General Rules
• Finals of both winners and losers bracket (including grand) are best of 5, all other sets are best of 3.
• The time limit is set to 99 seconds
• Matches are set to 2 rounds
• In the event of a dispute, starting side will be selected by a coin toss
• In the event the stage “Training Stage” is picked (by a player or by random), if either player opposes playing on that stage they may call for a stage re-pick BEFORE the match has started (i.e. before “ACTION” appears)
• Unless otherwise stated on the day, Round Robin bracket is used

1. Players choose their characters for the first match (double blind selection may be called)
2. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
3. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
4. Repeat steps 2-4 for all proceeding matches

[size=+2]
Catherine Ruleset[/size]

General Rules
• In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by rock paper scissors
• No player may counterpick the stage they last won on unless agreed upon by both players
• Any banned stage may be played as a counterpick as long as all participants agree
• Pausing mid-match results in a forfeit
• Unless otherwise stated on the day, double elimination brackets are used

1. The first stage is chosen by stage striking; first striker is determined by rock paper scissors; striking then follows the format of 1-2-1-2-1 and the last stage left unstruck is the first stage to be played on
2. The loser of the previous match chooses the stage for the next match
3. repeat step 2 for all proceeding matches

Legal Stages
Underground Cemetary
Quadrangle
Cathedral
Torture Chamber
Clock Tower
Spiral Corridor

Banned Stages
Prison of Despair
Inquisition
Empireo

Dekar289

Smash Hero
hacked green greens is fun but it's bigger than dreamland 64 lol

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Yeah I'll be there....

Bring TV's!!! I would but don't have one :(

Willing to help pick them up though..

Also low tier?? (time permitting)

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Hey dif thanks heaps for the tourney, first time Ryan and I have played smash in like 4 months lol. I really appreciate the effort of setting it up and hosting it and had alot of fun. Thanks man!

:phone:

Pantsmann

Smash Lord

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
i didnt wake up from my alarm brah soz

parents woke me up at like 1pm and we left for footy at about 3.

BUT ZOMG even tho the game was lacklustre the entertainment/seats/drinks was ***ing amazing

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Hahah pikachu is still a work in progress

Singles

1. Rob :falconmelee:
2. Ben :peachmelee:/:pikachumelee:
3. Ryan :foxmelee:/:marthmelee:
4. Dif :falcomelee:
5. Cal :marthmelee:/:samusmelee:
5. Jbirds :foxmelee:
7. Hugh :peachmelee:/:jigglypuffmelee:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w.../singles-2.gif

Low Tier
1. Ben :pichumelee:/:zeldamelee:
2. Ryan :nessmelee:/:gwmelee:
3. Dif :roymelee:
4. Cal :gwmelee:
5. Rob :kirbymelee:/:bowsermelee:
5. Hugh :zeldamelee:
7. Jbirds :mewtwomelee:

I thought low tier was pretty fun...

I think we should include E tier + DK next time...I don't think they are that much better than F and below...and it adds to the variety.

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
oh ben, i played every low tier except yoshi and zelda in that tournament. low tier is beast. cal actually beat rob in a tournament match XD zac would beat everybody with his g&w if he came though...

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
i've started uploading videos

http://www.youtube.com/thedifinitive

all singles that i recorded will be uploaded by tonight. i didn't get a few matches recorded, such as me vs jbirds and ben vs jbirds, but those aren't important (was just jbirds getting ***** anyway).

also vyse said that he's willing to hold melee tournies at his place now. would people prefer that, or would people prefer to keep an external venue?

Top Bottom