• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

QLD Brisbane southside Brawl meetups (expression of interest)

Rebun

Smash Rookie
sounds good man, you've prettymuch resorted to doing what we normally do for tournaments by hiring out a public venue.. but without the tournament and consequent fee. I hope it works out, count me in.
thanks for your support =D glad to see you there

does the cost bother anyone? im really not too sure what others would think of it...
any extra left over cash goes towards improving future meetings like extending time, lowering costs, and even freeweeks if it does well enough

Axidos

Smash Rookie
Jagera said no parties or loud noise. I would've thought that'd be more concerning loud music, like a DJ event, rather than an occasional "WOAAAHHH" or "HAHAHAHA" from people within the hall.

Apparently BattleZone has back rooms I wasn't told about, so the entire venue (front 5 TVs + back rooms -> 40 people max) would cost $220 for 4 hours. Gauging from that it'd cost just over $5/person if we completely fill attendance so they're out.

A community hall it is I think! Glad we've got that settled!

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Lol guys, I have Jagera booked... I've been booking with them for a while now >_>

Hotdog

Smash Lord
I hold monthly tournaments there, have had like 4-5 tournies there already, you guys should come check it out one day. Check out the other QLD thread, has more details on upcoming tournies and what not... next one is Sept 5th (Cause the hall was all booked out till then =( )

Axidos

Smash Rookie
Oh sweet. Well since our times are close to yours we'll have to keep in touch so we don't cause a mess for each other. There's always the possibility we can hold our main meets so that, for instance, we have an 11-3pm meet and then you have a 3-10pm tournament, possibly contributing to your attendance.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Yea, could work, but I'm not sure if people would be willing to stay there to smash for a whole day (unless it's a major). I usually do the tourneys on day time as to not conflict with peoples night life as well.

Axidos

Smash Rookie
^ Unless the friendlies are a warm-up. It's better to get business done first at a tournament, but I don't intend to unite these meets with his tournament to the point where they're a side-attraction of the tournament, since the entire point is to offer a way to have friendlies completely independently of a tournament. There is room for mutual benefit and interaction though.

Yea, could work, but I'm not sure if people would be willing to stay there to smash for a whole day (unless it's a major). I usually do the tourneys on day time as to not conflict with peoples night life as well.
Yeah that's true. :/

Rebun

Smash Rookie
honestly, i would prefer holding these meets on days completely seperate to tournament days - i remember the last tempest tournament which was the first tourney i attended, was quite intense.

The purpose of the meets is to group together and have fun, and to train for tournaments - a whole day of brawl, even though my child self says is "hell yeah!" , would probably take too much of a toll on peeps.
On another note, the meets might also be extended from 4 hours to 6, depending on the amount of people that we get coming (the more people, the more money, extra money for extra time and stuff i mentioned earlier)

we'd probably see about booking jagera on a regular basis (i guess we'd have to book far in advance) but for the first few meets we shall probably organise them elsewhere

Testikills

Smash Journeyman
The purpose of the meets is to group together and have fun, and to train for tournaments - a whole day of brawl, even though my child self says is "hell yeah!" , would probably take too much of a toll on peeps.
One whole today is not a lot, the getting to Bob's Friday and Driving home Sunday with little to no sleep was substantional

Hotdog

Smash Lord
I'd rather prefer meets to be at a free venue somewhere, like peoples houses. I can't see much of a reason as to why people would pay for a meet (some people groan about entry fee for tournies as it is (Kas lawl)), even if it's just a cheap entry, then again, that's just me. Once I get down stairs fixed up I think I'll try and hold as much meets as I can. It's not going to be anytime soon though, soo much junk to clean up lol

Looks like we'll need to get together and organize meets and tournies with each other so they don't clash.

To Vyse and anyone else, we need to make a set QLD Brawl rule set, that should be used for every tournament in QLD, once that's done we should laminate it so we can just stick it up on the wall every tourney.

Rebun

Smash Rookie
yeah, a free venue would be better ): i just called up comm halls again, apparently there is a $130 utility fee for using their kitchen and their tables (seriously, why is this stuff never on their website with all the other costs on there...) so unless we want to starve it and bring our own tables, we'd need to get around 40 people to break even..

OR we increase the venue fee to around $10.. which bugs me because it might turn alot of people away ):, unless we somehow amass an army of 40 people

Hotdog

Smash Lord
you're very unlikely to even get around 30 people let alone 40, you should be organising for about 20-25 people in mind and leave a little bit of space in case more people show up.

Axidos

Smash Rookie
@Hotdog: I think there were 2 primary reasons we didn't go with peoples' houses...
1. So nobody's **** gets trashed
2. So that nobody else in the house will have to put up with us

Well w/e we're exploring all the options we can. If a change of format is necessary, so be it. If there doesn't seem to be any good options we'll just have to call it off but until then there's still more to try.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Rebun/Axidos: You guys should try to make it to a house meet sometime. Check the main thread. There you can have a chat to some of the regulars and feel things out that way.

Sorry I'm never on MSN. I'm like that during the uni semester.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
Hotdog is right, people are cheap (Kas).. lots of people complain about the venue/entry fee for tournaments and they're even less likely to pay for a meets. Anything over $5 is going to be pushing it lol. House meets are good, but they're usually restricted to smaller numbers. For example I'm having one tomorrow but I want to keep it under 10 people and I'm finishing it around 6pm so it doesn't interfere with the rest of my family's evening. A free public venue would be ideal, but that kind of thing is hard to come by.

24frames

Smash Rookie
I'd like to express my interest in the southside meetups, my brother and i both :D
Clueless as to possible venues though, I live in Logan, work at Mt Gravatt and go to Uni on the Coast so I'm all over the place.....

Hotdog

Smash Lord
I'd like to express my interest in the southside meetups, my brother and i both :D
Clueless as to possible venues though, I live in Logan, work at Mt Gravatt and go to Uni on the Coast so I'm all over the place.....
Hey there, welcome to Smashboards! I'm glad you're showing interest I'm sure there's a couple of people out in the Logan area (forget who though). As for meets and Tournaments you should be looking at this page:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=237098

It gets updated when needed and tells you everything you need to know (I think), what tourneys are on etc.

Meets are usually arranged out of the blue so you probably won't be able to find any info on meets until a couple of days beforehand/on the day. If you have any other questions just post in that thread I just linked you/ PM me / SMS me.

Peace.

Rianogard

Smash Apprentice
Myself, my brother (AD3PT) and Arrow are all from Logan. The main areas that smash meets are held are usually at Nathan and near the Gold Coast, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for yourself to get to these places 24frames. Arrow and my brother occasionally hold casual meets at their places. Versing new people will be good. Which characters do you and your brother use?

Axidos

Smash Rookie
Myself, my brother (AD3PT) and Arrow are all from Logan. The main areas that smash meets are held are usually at Nathan and near the Gold Coast, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for yourself to get to these places 24frames. Arrow and my brother occasionally hold casual meets at their places. Versing new people will be good. Which characters do you and your brother use?
I'd be interested in attending some of these meets! If you're referring to Rebun and I, we're not brothers, but he uses Toon Link and I use ZS-Samus/Wario/Game+Watch.

Remastered

Smash Lord
To Axidos, Rebun, 24frames and 24frame's brother. My email is matttaylor3@hotmail.com. If you send me your mobile, details etc, I'll organise to have you guys around to the next casual meet I have. Any chance to play against some new up and comers is awesome. I play Luigi and now Fox, and my brother is a Peach/Olimer user. Should be good to mix the match-ups and see how you guys play ;)!

Playace

Smash Rookie
Hello!

I think I found exactly what I'm looking for! I live in Taragindi, right next to the Holland Park West busway stop, south of Brisbane, and I'm looking for people to play Brawl with. Don't hesitate to contact me if there's an opportunity near by to do so, I can contribute a Wii and a copy of brawl.

email: roccoloria@hotmail.com
mobile: 0408 303 286

Thanks! hope to hear from someone soon :D

EDIT: Also obviously a reply on here would be great too :p

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Hey Playace!

We actually have a house's worth of players in Taragindi. Calibur, Yokai and tigerDORF.

New people make me happy.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
And I live in Annerley! I'll probably give you a message sometime soon.

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
I live in annerley to and i'm keen to practice. What's ur transport like playace? Do you have a car? I don't but i can catch buses to get to urs, only if we can practice for 3+ hours at least. Cbf catching public transport for small sessions.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
why do the new guys always seem to vanish? were we the last new guys to actually hang around? lol
I'm usually up for some brawl midweek arvo/nights, or on the weekend if I don't have plans.. can drive to anywhere on the southside, or can have a couple of people over.

Axidos

Smash Rookie
why do the new guys always seem to vanish? were we the last new guys to actually hang around? lol
I'm usually up for some brawl midweek arvo/nights, or on the weekend if I don't have plans.. can drive to anywhere on the southside, or can have a couple of people over.
I haven't disappeared! This meetup concept in its current form won't work though since it's... expensive.

I've only come up with two better ideas for helping people meet:

a. Create a central web tool to help folks organise meets, e.g. send emails when new ones are available in your vicinity etc. Having this central tool could solve a lot of problems with communication. Apparently though it's extremely unlikely this would ever be integrated with Smashboards so it might not get much publicity or it might be more trouble for its users than it's worth.

b. Organise this group as a rotating schedule which, once a month, takes a list of people willing to host a meet at their house, then disperses the members among those houses. Ideally, each meet, you'd be playing with a different group of people.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
yeah it is expensive. thats why i was excited about griffth offering a room for free =P
not alot of people can host... i might be able to host once every 2 months :S

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Axidos, word of mouth is where it needs to start. Word of mouth and posting here.

An integrated tool is not necessarily going to create a more successful scene as it is right now. It's people putting up their hands and saying "Hey, if you want smash practice, come here this weekend!"

An integrated tool will only help when there's too many people putting their hands up to host or book venues.

Top Bottom