• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PWN AND PUNISH! Updated with ROB,Pit, and Wolf. Lvl 99 gets a badge!!!

QUIVO

Smash Master
Sorry, I worked a dobule yesterday and was exhausted. I meant auto-catching. I hate catching those things sometimes.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I've faced so many Kirby's that have different ways of approaching.

One tactic I've seen is aerial camping. He'll just keep on jumping in the air, invading projectiles and get closer to you with bairs or something. SH uair CAN work, but not guranteed hits. Also throwing bombs straight up can stop him or force him to back up a bit.

I guess bairs, fairs, nairs, dash attack and grab can all be his approaches. Dash attack is stupid since it's multi-hit and I'm dumb enough to sometimes try grabbing him mid attack. Don't do that.

I say play very defensively, and don't get too frusturated if you don't hit him. I need advice too actually, I don't really know what to do besides playing aganist him like MK.

I've never really seen an olimar approach much. If they were to approach, it'd be with a grab since it has mass range. Just space it out where you can throw a bomb or arrow cancel him to stop this, or just go up and stay in his face.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Ike!! da Power House!

Ikes approaches are isanely predictable.
They will just come and shield and dodge their way in to range.
If they come hitting with fair its kinda slow so u might see it, or just the fact, think of expecting an aerial or a tilt when their in range, just hit them with zair or shield it and grab them.
If they approach with side b, quick draw, then just use your projectile to stop it.
The best projectile to stop them from clanging with ur arrows and rang with thier aaa combo is obviously the bombs.
So bomb him up and I suppose chain a RAR in there.
So basically smartly spam projectiles and you'll counter all his approaches mix in some grabs too.

Thats really all Ike has to offer.

Shoutouts to Ike boards for helping me get more ideas on his approaches.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
wwo
all this done....so fast. nice
I'll add stuff later today sorry. =)

Nightfalcon

Smash Rookie
My best smashing friend plays Olimar, so i have a lot of experience at the matchup.

When playing Olimar there is only one time they will really approach, and that's to grab you. So as soon as you see an Olimar run at you you have two effective options. Arrow or spotdodge and grab them. If you do get grabbed, i suggest to aerial dodge straight out of it, because they will follow with a Usmash or Uair. Next time they will probably expect the immediate airdodge and try and wait it out, so just wait a sec before performing the airdodge. I don't suggest using bombs as aggressively in this match just because if you do cop a Pikmin latch you can't throw the bomb, and if you do you leave yourself open for an attack or another grab combo.

I find that retreating aerials also aren't the best option in this matchup because of the range of his grab, he can usually grab you before you get to the ground to even arrow cancel, which is a massive pain, because any other type of aerial and he get hit by the Up or Down smash.

One last thing, if you feel your projectiles aren't getting through his wall of Pikmin, retreat a bit, that usually baits an Olimar approach.

or wait at the edge, spotdodge the grab and downsmash, sending Olimar spiralling off the edge :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Santi

Smash Lord
I'm sooo tired from work.

But I'll try to update tomorow and I'll add some other stuff to Olimar.
I get PM's from people asking for help on Spammy Oli's...
I tell them to do like 3 things ...the Olimars die.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
What about Falco? He's one of the 3 characters I have hard time getting around. D:

iRjOn

Smash Lord
I GOTS ANOTHER ONE!!!

PEACH

*sigh* Ok Peaches are friuts... j/k Peaches approach u in various different ways

Most common one i believe is the turnip>FC(float cancel)>dair

Because Dair cancels most of T.Links projectiles except the bomb ofcourse... a good way to counter this is by just make bombing your main style of projectile abuse here.

Bombs hit Peachs that come in with attacks and everything.

But now for the more difficult approaches like the AT ones...

GLIDE TOSSING

They will glide toss their way into range this becomes like a diddy minus the bananas.
But it may seem less annoying but its not turnips dont do much damage but the have hit stun and after this glide toss comes and attack if they are approach with it.
The only counter i can think of is if you see it coming and can predict where they are goin to end up, lets say the will end up in front of u with a fsmash then I say jump then throw a bomb down or zair them if u can.
By using zair you might dodge the turnip and thats a hit if they land in front of you.
If they land on you i say expect to be killed if u are caught from turnip hit stun and have high damage, cause that gonna be an usmash probally.
Behind u may be a dsmash or may be a reverse fsmash try to roll to counter these or jump out of there with a retreating rang or reverse AC, DONT SPOT DODGE dsmash lingers too long and the last hit is the dangerous part so its pointless almost.
For those Peaches that glide toss > FC > fair try to have a bomb at hand, if I'm not mistaking Peachs fair will blow up the bomb causeing no really big knock back or it might just hit u and u drop the bomb either way she gets hit.

But the most effecttive counters on a Peach is to bomb her aprroaches up.
Also zair works well too gotta love zair...

Shoutout to Peach boards for alittle more info on this.

Mittenkiss

Smash Cadet
This really helped.
Especially with the Marth part.
I see to have a bit of trouble with him when my friend plays him.
He gotten good.
0:

Santi

Smash Lord
Everything is coming together =)

Thank you everyone for putting so much input!

And I especially aprreciate how there were threads in other character forums asking how they do things. Good job. (you know who you are)
Awesome :)

iRjOn

Smash Lord
lol yea I just needed to make sure my thoughts where correct lol.

I'll go get some more info tommorrow if I can from Pokemon Trainer maybe or Link probally Link lol.

Thank you for thinking of this it was your great idea.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Our Real Uncartoony Hero counterpart Link!!!

To counter his acctual approaches is not that hard just keep him at bay with projectiles. Cause if he approaches its going to be SHDA, SH air dodges, or with his zair thats better than ours btw.

To counter the SHDA approach just toss out some bombs or out SHDA him...

SH air dodges are simple...just watch out for his zair and projectile him up...

The last approach thought of is zair which is kinda like SH air dodges but just the zair spacifically. Just rememeber his zair>your zair...so dont counter it with zair I say counter with retreating projectiles.

Thats mostly what this projectile war has to offer.

Shout out to Link boards for the help!

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I have some video's I'm gonna post of me and my friend playing last month. He uses metaknight, so if you want to post some of them in the mk section you can. Nevermind T_T, I was testing out using my SD card and video's saved on the wii to put them on the comp. But there .bin files, and I dont know how to use those. I tried converters, but there all saying something about.cue files. Any help?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You cant use SD cards.
You need a capture card.

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, I feel offended. No R.O.B. section? Jeez. here I go.

(By the way, this will all be from my perspective. You guys figure out what to do with it.)

Warning: This guide is really simple. I’m not pro at R.O.B. Heck, I’m a noob.

Begining:
-Against Viet, the first thing I will probably do is charge the gyro or throw one out there to set up a ground boundry. I'll pretty much do this until you force me to end camping.

Approaching:
-As always, a forward glidetoss would be an efficient approach. Out of it, we may either jab, f-tilt, or grab. The jab will only rack up a little damage but is kind of hard to escape from. The f-tilt is fast and huge so we could have hit while still sliding. If we land a grab then you could expect a d-throw to an u-air.
-If we don't glidetoss we may just throw the gyro and proceed to spam f-air.

Comboing:
-If both players are stationary on the ground then we will either jab, f-tilt, or f-air. Jab will come out the fastest and will lead into f-tilt, then to f-air. F-tilt will lead directly to f-air and f-air merely combos into itself.
-If you are approaching then we can lazer for defense and rush in for some aerials or we can do RAR into a b-air to destroy any oncomning projectiles.
-If we are approaching, it will be f-air or a well timed n-air. Both can combo into an f-air and might lead you offstage.

Being Comboed
-If you are b-air spamming, the best we can do is airdodge, DI, or hope to get an f-air in there to break the combo.
-With projectile spam, we can't do much expect do our godsend roll.
-If you're doing the VietG combo (and I would know), again, only airdodging or DIing would probably save us.
-If R.O.B. is offstage, try not to get above him of an u-air will meet your face. Below him is fine because of d-air is supper laggy.

Offstage game
-We would probably just f-air spam untill you were too offstage to recover and then just u-b our way home. If you broke that, we could do a rising n-air to send you far.
-Our gimp is hard to pull off but your recovery is predictable so, you never know.

-If we are being comboed, well, I already wrote this part.

Retreating:
-The main method here will always be a reverse glidetoss, retreating f-air wall, or retreating n-air. All are very good, but a glidetoss is the best. After we retreat, we will most likely lazer you for good measure, then charge our gyro for later.

Well, that’s all I have, and am willing to do at the moment. Tell me if anyone wants more.

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
And, you don't have Wolf. Tsk, tsk.

Wel, here I go.

Start:
-Wolf will primarily begin the game with an approaching lazer. Followed by another lazer or an RAR b-air depending on the stage length. For some mindgames, we may do nothing our first jump and follow up with a b-air, lagless f-air, n-air, or reflector.
-If we hit with the lagless f-air, I believe it will send you upwards and then Wolf will begin to juggle you mercilessly via u-air. It is advised you get the hell out of there or we will get you to around 50% rather quickly.
-With reflector, well I'll talk about that later.

In the fray:
-Okay, with double stationary (both peoplestanding still) we can b-air, f-air, n-air, f-tilt, d-tilt, mabye u-tilt, f-smash, u-smash, d-smash, grab, and well, anything else.
-Under 50%, we most likely will grab into 3 grab attacks. Then d-throw you into an f-air or filt. Both will send you outwards into back or forward air. Or we can grab and u-throw and rack up a good amount of damage.
-50-100% we may do the same style of attack but will most likely employ more smashes in the hopes of getting youy offstage.
-100%+, we will hope to catch you with a d-smash. It is severely advised you avoid this at all cost because it will take away a stock almost without fail.
-If you are in the air , we will fire our lazer and follow up with some approaching aerial. Not too varied, just watch out for the u-air.
-If we are in the air, we will do a reflector to avoid any projectile mishaps and to prevent you from performing an aerial.

Offstage game:
-............ wolf doesn't have an offstage game. If you get us off and below the stage, you win. However, if we have a second jump or have not expended out up or side b, watch out. Or wolf illusion can be used to scarr all stages. For those who don't know, scarring is whereby side-b is done very close to the side and Wolf immediately appears onstage next to ledge. However, there is pseudo scarring in which the control stick is held down and we instantly pass through any stage. This gives us a near perfect and constant spike with the attack. It lands between 1/5th and 1/6th of FD away from the edge. So try to edgegaurd right next to the edge or not at all.

Gimp-ablility:
-Wolf's spike is farily decent but not something to depend on. Yes, it is almost a sure fire kill, yet difficult to land. And as to your spike, I won't say anything.

Retreating:
-A retreating mid lazer will normally occur along with a retreatinf lagless f-air ( wow, that was long). Not too varied here. Heck, if we're desperate, we may even side-b away and then fastfall if it is possible. Other than that, I cannot think of too many advanced retreating strategies.

Stages:
-If you IQ has three digits, you will ban yoshi's island. Here, we are royalty for a few reasons.
1.) There is a new type of scarring here in which we slide against the stage walls and land right on the sweetspot.
2.) The the third type of scarring exits here in which we do side-b just as we jump up from the ledge. We will slide directly into the center of the stage and perfect spike you if we hit.

-Wolves fear final destination because scarring is risky here. If performed wrong, we will automatically die. This causes our recovery to mor epredoctable.

Well now, that's all I can think of. Once again, tell me if you need more.

Ten points to whoever realised I changed my writing style from familiar to articulate. Eh, I think articulation is much more fun...

Dr.octogonapus

Smash Apprentice
More stuff for weegee.

Weegee combos are annoying, very annoying. If you get hit into the air by Luigi by say an, F-tilt or dthrow. airdodge because hes going to follow up. If you want to be risky, use a dair as soon as you get hit, the Luigi will usually get spiked down (This will get you messed up on battlefield)

Remember how the message with Ice climbers is don't get grabbed? Yeah, the message for Weegee is don't miss a grab, or your probably going to eat an UP B.

Jab cancel-> Up B is too good. if a Luigi jabs, shield, should they still Up B, chase and Punish.

Trying to gimp Luigi is pretty much pointless, but if you can catch him off stage when he uses the weegee missile for horizontal recovery, the ending lag is perfect for a free spike.

Outcamping Luigi is not too much of an option, You can stop his tornado with a projectile, but it wont be long before he gets too you. what I find most effective, is to camp him, then when he gets close, Jab or F-tilt him out of your face, rinse and repeat.

If he absoloutley refuses to get out of your face, get offensive, Zair -> nair and such until he gets defensive, then go back to your camping routine.

If he tries to fireball camp (which can be suprisingly annoying an effective) simply return the favor, 3 projectiles are better than 1.

Your best option for getting back on the stage is to roll on.

If you drop and attack back on, or press A and get back on with an attack, it'll probably be shielded, and you'll eat an F-smash

For killing I find there are 3 good options.

-Spike his Weegee missile
-Fair his weegee missile (if you dont want to risk the spike)
-Zair-> Usmash

Santi

Smash Lord
Dear Lord, so much good sh*t.

:D
Ill update tomorow.

AHHH NVM tomorow is MY BDAY!!!!!!!
=)
Thursday Ill get all this up. It all looks really good guys. And I'm glad were getting input from other smashers with other mains.

*proud face*

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
O_O
We need to get you something.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
hmm that is a good Idea Ginger Warrior...
I might do that... OR!!! make him An even better pic!!!!
Desions desions.... lol

EDIT: Oh and Happy B-DAy Santi!
Just incase I'm not able to get on tomorrow lol!

vbdood1337

Smash Apprentice
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SANTI!!!

This is really a great thing you're doing. Getting everyone involved to make us all better. Keep up the good work... to everyone, not just Santi.

MDMA

Smash Rookie
Im playing against pit alot.. Maybe I can help a little with the Pit match-up which imo isn't the easiest:

The Pit I normally play isn't a real good one per se.

The main issue with pit is that he has two moves that can reflect your projectiles back at ya, so throughout this matchup be weary of the shield and spinning reflector sword -> B attack.
When he uses his ->B reflector to approach me I usually take a shorthop back and z-air, the chain will go through the reflector, I think you can do a QDA after that which will give you the advantage. Make sure you jump back while doing this because he gets forward momentum when he uses the reflector. Or just get ur z-air out really fast which sometimes helps to and this can lead into a grab. When you we're able to avoid getting hit by the reflector and are standing before pit you can Fsmash it will go through because of the range it has, but don't stand to close because you will get hit then while stepping forward during the smash.You can also try and jump over him when he's doing the reflector attack and do attack him from above with a d-air for example, but you can try landing behind him and use bair but I think he has enough time to roll/run away if you wait till you're landed behind him.
When he uses his shield he can reflect arrows and your rang back in your face so be carefull with those 2. Bombs however seem to work when you throw em at his feet so thats a good option. when he's using his hield mid-range you can safely ( i think ) approach with Z-air for example, which is what I usually use to approach through the shield because of the range. Imo Z-air against pit is plain excellent.
Hmm that's how you can deal with his reflectors, there is more to it I know for sure but this is all I really know at this moment. Maybe other people can complement me? Or just tell me i'm wrong ;-) both fine.
Pit's flying move is a good killer move, so just shield it, which if done correctly will give you the advantage (in my experience it always did). If you feel secure enough you can jump at pit and do an airial attack this works well if you don't do it too often.

Hmm that's all I have so far .. my english could be better .. hope it helps if you we're able to understand it all in first place :)

MDMA

Smash Rookie
More stuff for weegee.

Your best option for getting back on the stage is to roll on.

If you drop and attack back on, or press A and get back on with an attack, it'll probably be shielded, and you'll eat an F-smash
Every char can shield the drop attack back on routine right? and Rolling on stage is pretty vulnerable in brawl right? .. so wouldn't it be better to variate getting back on stage by: for example drop and throw a bomb up. or drop jump and rang/arrow. And another thing you can try is just jumping from the ledge and air dodge his attack to make a safe land.. dunno if this is the safest but if he makes a mistake you can punish him with an airial of ur choice. The main thing is don't use a single strategy too often.. just variate with it and when he doesn't expect it you can safe roll on stage too maybe.

Santi

Smash Lord
tru dat.

And I'm really gonna update I will I promise
=)

Santi

Smash Lord
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEw stuff
:D

Thank you for everyone who contributed new stuff, and I really appreciate the few that took the time to find video of the examples they were talking about. It's really helpful for the visual learners and I would like to make the request of people to try to find some more videos to show what they are talking about.

I'll have some Diddy matches up later and I will analyze them after work and give times and examples of how to handle Diddy and his gay naners.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
The new name made me laugh.
I should add more stuff when I get settled later today. =/

But, yay.
I suck against Diddy. =(

D

Deleted member

For wario, you can out range dair with bair, and we have good aerial maneuverability to help deal with wario's. Dont shield dair, just do a retreating bair or nair. He doesnt get spammed easily, but he has to approach.

Top Bottom