• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The plattform consists of three different parts stitched together:
the bottom part is a plattform from Summit,
the ground is the main plattform from Green Greens (Melee),
and the hill in the background is an island from Delfino Island, just swapped the sand texture with the grass one.
As for the size, I agree it looks too big and toned it down a bit already. If you mean the length though, it's as long as Final Destination.
So long as it isn't Ridley-big, it should be okay.

Seeing all of this love for a character I support, even one who probably will not be playable (possibly ever? we'll see), makes me feel happy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So long as it isn't Ridley-big, it should be okay.
Hehe, just for our little worrywart here, here's a direct comparision to final destination:
So what do you think? Not too big, right?

Seeing all of this love for a character I support, even one who probably will not be playable (possibly ever? we'll see), makes me feel happy.
Not sure if this was directed at me, but if so, I just wanna say, we all want her in and have our own ways of showing this. Some people make fanart, others come up with movesets. As for myself, I can't draw nor am I creative enough for movesets, so I'm just doing this, haha. Not even sure if I manage to get it into Brawl, I'm just doing this for fun. Because I can't draw, I just do 3d "fanart" for lack of better word.

Anyway, as you guys could probably see a bit in the above pic, I made some progress, so here's a better pic of the current thing:
Also yay for getting rid of the black background, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I agree. Even though it seems pretty unlikely we are gonna see Lip in any other way (She doesn't seem popular enough in the community to be in project M, and doesn't seem like a possible candidate for an official Smash Bros) It is really awesome to see this little community put together a stage as well as a working model for her.
I just wish there was something I could do to help you guys, but I have no experience at all ^^;

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Project M is still a zillion times more likely than any official SSB game right now, considering the franchise's obscurity outside and (seemingly) inside of Japan. It's amateur work whose creators are a part of the Smash community, and that alone makes them more open to ideas Sakurai's team isn't willing to try. I like to think of it as a first step to getting Lip in an official Smash game... If she gets in, then word of the series will begin to spread among the Project M fanbase, then the Smash fanbase, and hopeully beyond.

Last edited:

Furil

Smash Apprentice
That Lip stage is sooo cool :D

If I may make a suggestion, would hit be hard to make the platform resemble this? Just the petal parts, so it looks like a flower. If it's too complicated, that's fine, ignore me please.

I also extracted the backgrounds from Panel de Pon in Nintendo Puzzle Collection. Maybe it could be used for the background?

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
This is probably a silly question, but is the development of Project M based on a small group of people, or is it a giant community based project?

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I also extracted the backgrounds from Panel de Pon in Nintendo Puzzle Collection. Maybe it could be used for the background?
That's super neat! I always wanted the in-game art from Panel De Pon 2. This is irrelevant, but do you have any more things ripped?

Furil

Smash Apprentice
I don't have any other ripped at the moment, but I can get them somewhat easily.
The only thing that bothers me is because it was a n64 game, so the colors are like, super weird. They looks really odd in a raw format, but just fine when you are playing the game.

I also have animations for the characters,

If there is something specific you want, I could get it for you.

Edit:
And this is probably my favorite image :3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This time I come without any new pics, haha.

That Lip stage is sooo cool :D
Thanks very much.

If I may make a suggestion, would hit be hard to make the platform resemble this? Just the petal parts, so it looks like a flower. If it's too complicated, that's fine, ignore me please.
In theory, it would be possible, but I think it would look odd if characters were hanging on the ledge though. I'll see what I can do though, because it would look nice.

Thanks, but I actually have something else planned for the background already. But if it shouldn't work, well, it's good to have a backup plan, haha. But if you could get your hands on the music (especially Cecil's Theme), that would be awesome.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
This is probably a silly question, but is the development of Project M based on a small group of people, or is it a giant community based project?
It's a small group, only about 14 people. The core development team is just eight strong. Either way you count it it's a lot easier than getting the attention of a professional dev team with hundreds of staffers, that's for certain.

In theory, it would be possible, but I think it would look odd if characters were hanging on the ledge though. I'll see what I can do though, because it would look nice.
You could make the petals in the foreground flat or nearly so (if not remove them entirely), and the ones in the background as shown in the SNES game? Just a suggestion.

D

Deleted member

Quoting this again because of progress:
So, I quickly made something.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So, I popped back in here. I still have little hope for Lip, but... Robin proves that more obscure options are possible, and Sakurai is REALLY playing up the originality aspect of new characters. Generally, most people consider Takamaru and Mach Rider more likely, but at this point, I think originality might be a HUGE boost to Lip's potential. Fairy character, potentially with a nature-based moveset and other elements from the Panel de Pon games could be interesting and help her out quite a bit to being a unique character. So, although I still think she's doubtful, my hope is restored somewhat.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Agreed, Takamaru and Mach Rider would be good characters in their own right but they woldn't bring a whole lot new to the game. Takamaru, shuriken and scrolls or no, still primarily uses his sword to attack, and we've already got seven in the game (both Links, Marth, Ike, Mii Swordfighter, Lucina, Robin). We've got room left for, I'd say one more swordfighter (hopefully Shulk) before things start to get out of hand. Mach Rider's niche is less overplayed, but she doesn't do anything in her home game besides ride a motorbike and shoot at enemies, meaning nine-tenths of her moveset would have to be fabricated. Kind of like another famous racer we know.

Meanwhile, the niche, or rather niches (magic user, cute witch, puzzle rep), Lip would fill haven't been filled yet. There's a not-very-good-but-better-than-nothing chance she'll be included to fill one of those slots, most likely the latter, and the busting of Gematsu only did good for her odds. If nothing comes of it... well, like I keep saying, Project M!

(We kind of dodged a bullet with Ashley, in retrospect...)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Agreed, Takamaru and Mach Rider would be good characters in their own right but they woldn't bring a whole lot new to the game. Takamaru, shuriken and scrolls or no, still primarily uses his sword to attack, and we've already got seven in the game (both Links, Marth, Ike, Mii Swordfighter, Lucina, Robin). We've got room left for, I'd say one more swordfighter (hopefully Shulk) before things start to get out of hand. Mach Rider's niche is less overplayed, but she doesn't do anything in her home game besides ride a motorbike and shoot at enemies, meaning nine-tenths of her moveset would have to be fabricated. Kind of like another famous racer we know.

Meanwhile, the niche, or rather niches (magic user, cute witch, puzzle rep), Lip would fill haven't been filled yet. There's a not-very-good-but-better-than-nothing chance she'll be included to fill one of those slots, most likely the latter, and the busting of Gematsu only did good for her odds. If nothing comes of it... well, like I keep saying, Project M!

(We kind of dodged a bullet with Ashley, in retrospect...)
As for sword fighters, frankly, I think we'll get both Isaac and Shulk, but at the same time, Isaac, Shulk, and Robin would all play very, very differently from the average pure sword fighter. Out of them, Shulk would probably be the least unique, but I don't know much about how Shulk works. Robin and Isaac would both be far more magic with only a couple of sword attacks. We already know this with Robin.

Either way, I agree with Lip, out of all possible "retro" characters, Lip is the one who really stands out a lot more. We'll have to see how things play out.

Last edited:

Furil

Smash Apprentice
So, I quickly made something.
Woah, you work fast! It's looking great already! I love how it's like sitting gently on the petals~
I think it could use some flowers around the house. Although, they could just be textured.
Speaking of textures, you need any help making any?

Oh, and maybe some panels sitting around.
They shouldn't be too hard, right? They are basically just cube superquadrics.

Overall, it's looking wonderful. Keep up the great work!

Edit:
I forgot. I made a cover of Cecil's theme a while ago.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0GjJxhxJ8lL
Maybe I could try to mix it into a Smash style song? I also would like to try the credits and Flare's theme.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If Lip ever gets into Project M (still holding out for that possibility!), I volunteer this as her home stage. ^^

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
If there is something specific you want, I could get it for you.
Uhh..everything? Haha.

I've always been really fascinated with all the backgrounds and character animations in this game. I have wanted to rip them myself but I had no reliable means of doing so. I love seeing the Panel De Pon world in this much detail, but you don't really have to rip everything if you don't want to.

That Water World remix is nice, by the way. You're awesome.

D

Deleted member

Amazing. Just amazing. This HAS to be made over Final Destination.
Speaking of Final Destionation, just feel like mentioning that the stage isn't just gonna be a flat plattform. I do find them somewhat boring. And I don't intend to make it a Battlefield "clone" either (Dream Land, Yoshi's Story (Melee), etc) because there are enough already.

Woah, you work fast! It's looking great already! I love how it's like sitting gently on the petals~
I just had the right thing at the right time. This is just a modified flower from Distant Planet, that's why it didn't take as long as it could've have. But this was more of a simple test to see how it would look, it's not gonna stay exactly like this.

I think it could use some flowers around the house. Although, they could just be textured.
Speaking of textures, you need any help making any?
I know, I'm gonna add flowers, but I can't do everything in one day. Same with bushes and I doubt the fences are gonna stay that way either. Pretty sure you can understanf that, eh?
Also thanks for the offer, but right now I have to decline. Textures are gonna be the last thing that are gonna be made, that way I don't have to worry about accidentally screwing up UV mapping with how often I change things around. Makes it easier for everyone involved.

Overall, it's looking wonderful. Keep up the great work!
Thanks, but I don't think it looks that great. It just isn't a complete trainwreck, haha.

Edit:
I forgot. I made a cover of Cecil's theme a while ago.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0GjJxhxJ8lL
Maybe I could try to mix it into a Smash style song? I also would like to try the credits and Flare's theme.
Sounds really nice, good job there.

Anyway, I just wanna say, it's nice how we went from nothing, to getting a Lip rig, (hopefully) a stage and as seen above, probably also fitting music in roughly just in a month. Yay for us? Haha.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Anyway, I just wanna say, it's nice how we went from nothing, to getting a Lip rig, (hopefully) a stage and as seen above, probably also fitting music in roughly just in a month. Yay for us? Haha.
Yup, it's great how productive we fans can be when we're devoted enough. ^^

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
The amount of awesome things I'm seeing just casually stepping into this thread on this page... :')

I'd definitely like it if you all spoke up about having Lip or Panel de Pon things in the Project M realm (use the Clone Engine thread for Lip character votes). We have to start somewhere if we're to get this character more visibility!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Darn you Lip thread. I didn't care about lip and didn't realize she was basicly deconfirmed because of the lip's stick item returning, and wouldn't have cared if I had known. Then I come here and decide I actually really want lip to be in it, then look more closely at the OP and realize she's pretty much deconfirmed. Just my luck... Guess I'll just hope for DLC or a chance in the next smash.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Darn you Lip thread. I didn't care about lip and didn't realize she was basicly deconfirmed because of the lip's stick item returning, and wouldn't have cared if I had known. Then I come here and decide I actually really want lip to be in it, then look more closely at the OP and realize she's pretty much deconfirmed. Just my luck... Guess I'll just hope for DLC or a chance in the next smash.
I remain convinced that the biggest reason Lip isn't in Smash Bros. already is because I suspect one of the higher-ups at Nintendo thinks Panel de Pon isn't marketable and is trying to bury it. They probably hope everyone will just forget about it eventually. As the activity of thread has shown, it isn't working.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I wonder how much bigger of an impact it would have been if Lip was as popular as say, the Ridley thread, thoguh...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wonder how much bigger of an impact it would have been if Lip was as popular as say, the Ridley thread, thoguh...
Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, and ROB weren't chosen for popularity. They were chosen because Sakurai felt they should be in the game. That's how Lip would get in as well.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys I was curious how Lip's moveset would classify according to this list. (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hey guys I was curious how Lip's moveset would classify according to this list. (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
The problem with Lip is she'd need a lot of stuff made up for her, but I can see her being Ranger/Trickster I think.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The problem with Lip is she'd need a lot of stuff made up for her,
Captain Falcon says hi.

I like the idea of Lip being a juggler. They rely heavily on combos, and Panel de Pon is after all a puzzle game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Captain Falcon says hi.

I like the idea of Lip being a juggler. They rely heavily on combos, and Panel de Pon is after all a puzzle game.
I know, but Sakurai might think "its not worth making things up for her." And naturally, we wouldn't know HOW he would do her, as well. That said, a Juggler... that sounds like it could work a bit.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Has F-Zero ever been one of Nintendo's top sellers? He could as easily have said "it's not worth it making things up for Captain Falcon".

I'm aware that most if not all of Falcon's moves are left over from when the game was still Dragon King, but they've stuck around for four games yet so clearly they've done something right.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Has F-Zero ever been one of Nintendo's top sellers? He could as easily have said "it's not worth it making things up for Captain Falcon".

I'm aware that most if not all of Falcon's moves are left over from when the game was still Dragon King, but they've stuck around for four games yet so clearly they've done something right.
Captain Falcon has about 7 games in the franchise, certainly nothing to sneeze at. I think Lip has plenty of potential, I just don't know what Sakurai would do with her.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Official Smash characters draw inspiration from a wide variety of sources. Lip could have, just off the top of my head, magic, flowers, Panel de Pon mechanics like garbage blocks and panels, mechanics from other Nintendo puzzle games (Yoshi's Cookie, Dr. Mario, Pushmo, Picross, etc.), cuteness, the list goes on.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah. Lip could even summon a levitating flower that acts as a temporary platform, and using the same button again will cause it to burst. :D

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Official Smash characters draw inspiration from a wide variety of sources. Lip could have, just off the top of my head, magic, flowers, Panel de Pon mechanics like garbage blocks and panels, mechanics from other Nintendo puzzle games (Yoshi's Cookie, Dr. Mario, Pushmo, Picross, etc.), cuteness, the list goes on.
Yeah, I like the idea of Garbage Blocks and Panels, just not sure how it'd work. For her Final Smash, ? mark combo, definitely. MASSIVE block falls onto the stage that sticks way above the stage and no one can see the top of it, before it then proceeds to bounce off and down the bottom of the screen. I'd die of laughter seeing that.

I'd love for Lip to have a flower or nature-based attacks. We don't have any time of character like that in the game right now. As a fairy she could potentially fly, too. I know there's plenty to work with, I just don't know exactly what would be picked, so I can't really grasp how she would play from a technical standpoint. But I do stand by the idea that out of all potential "Retro" reps at this point, she's the one with the most potential for a unique moveset. Takamaru just doesn't seem all that interesting or unique.

Hong

The Strongest
:'( RIP Ivysaur.

Would be hilarious if Lip had a combo counter like the one from Panel de Pon, and at the end of the combo it would play a chime.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
:'( RIP Ivysaur.

Would be hilarious if Lip had a combo counter like the one from Panel de Pon, and at the end of the combo it would play a chime.
I'd absolutely adore this. I always LOVED Tetris Attack. I actually kinda like the fairies, too, I'd like to see them come back and actually be localized for a change.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd love for Lip to have a flower or nature-based attacks. We don't have any time of character like that in the game right now. As a fairy she could potentially fly, too. I know there's plenty to work with, I just don't know exactly what would be picked, so I can't really grasp how she would play from a technical standpoint. But I do stand by the idea that out of all potential "Retro" reps at this point, she's the one with the most potential for a unique moveset. Takamaru just doesn't seem all that interesting or unique.
The front page of the thread has many interesting ideas. I think the Make Your Move moveset we got about 10 or so pages ago is the closest to what an official Lip would play like, though.

(And Lip can't fly, she doesn't have any wings! : P)

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The front page of the thread has many interesting ideas. I think the Make Your Move moveset we got about 10 or so pages ago is the closest to what an official Lip would play like, though.

(And Lip can't fly, she doesn't have any wings! : P)
Well, I thought she was a fairy, but I'll admit I haven't see her with wings in her artworks. :p

Top Bottom