• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
With the current state of Paper Mario, Paper Panel de Pon really needs to be a thing. A fangame, if nothing else. I dunno, it just seems like a shame to let those character designs go to waste.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
http://fireside.gamejolt.com/post/dmca-notices-for-fangames-bzc9h583

Welp. I think what's most concerning about this is that some of these games were done in RPG Maker.

Even though Panel de Pon isn't by any means an active franchise, they could still find any number of reasons to take my fangame down. I mean, heck, Panel de Pon is on every current Virtual Console. Even though this game wouldn't have the same style of gameplay at all (and even though it would be English-language), they could still see it as "affecting the sales" of said VC rerelease and try to take me down.

What do you think I should do?

(I should probably note that I'm dead-set against turning this game into a spiritual successor. It started as a Panepon fan project and it's going to stay that way. It's intended to show my passion for an under-recognized series, and turning it into an original IP would completely go against the point of that.)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just wish that Nintendo would do a new Nintendo Puzzle Collection for the 3DS... and it includes 6 classic puzzle games not named Tetris.

Dr. Mario
Yoshi
Yoshi's Cookie
Wario's Woods
Panel de Pon
Kirby's Star Stacker

I need to get my puzzle fix every now and then.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Welp. I think what's most concerning about this is that some of these games were done in RPG Maker.

Even though Panel de Pon isn't by any means an active franchise, they could still find any number of reasons to take my fangame down. I mean, heck, Panel de Pon is on every current Virtual Console. Even though this game wouldn't have the same style of gameplay at all (and even though it would be English-language), they could still see it as "affecting the sales" of said VC rerelease and try to take me down.

(I should probably note that I'm dead-set against turning this game into a spiritual successor. It started as a Panepon fan project and it's going to stay that way. It's intended to show my passion for an under-recognized series, and turning it into an original IP would completely go against the point of that.)
For me, I would say law low for a while until Nintendo is done being cancel happy of these fan projects. But then that would be pointless since they hate giving up and are very stingy of their properties, just like a certain animation company hosted by a black famous mouse.

Then again, you can just go for finishing your project when you have the time and at least share it with the other Panel De Pon fans before it get hit with the DMCA. It's a lose lose situation either way since Nintendo isn't as accepting of fan projects unlike Sega ironically while Panel De Pon will probably get left behind for the future like Advance Wars for not being Fire Emblem.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Intelligent Systems still does stuff that isn't Fire Emblem, though! Like Paper Mario, and... ... ...

Hey, at least the 3DS VC rerelease is selling well. Maybe that'll convince them to revisit Popples, as much as I doubt it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Intelligent Systems still does stuff that isn't Fire Emblem, though! Like Paper Mario, and... ... ...

Hey, at least the 3DS VC rerelease is selling well. Maybe that'll convince them to revisit Popples, as much as I doubt it.
I bet the pause was at Codename S.T.E.A.M. But if it isn't, I can't really blame you since that game is extremely underrated for Intelligent System's first new IP since Pushmo.

That's good news to hear. I hope some good results can come out of it, like the new fans actually asking for more games with the rest of us. I'm happy that Fire Emblem as a franchise is doing better, but they can't just leave the Flower Fairy and her friends hanging forever.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I bet the pause was at Codename S.T.E.A.M. But if it isn't, I can't really blame you since that game is extremely underrated for Intelligent System's first new IP since Pushmo.
I honestly thing that the reason Code Name: STEAM bombed as badly as it did was that it really only appealed to American steampunk enthusiasts, pretty much alienating 5/6 of the world. Panel de Pon, as much as Nintendo doesn't want to admit it, has much more widespread appeal.

Let's hope the 3DS VC brings in some new fans who want to see more from the fairies. Having an actual portable Panel de Pon game, not forgettable, fairy-less junk like Planet Puzzle League, is bound to do some good considering how many Japanese players are handheld-focused.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I just wish that Nintendo would do a new Nintendo Puzzle Collection for the 3DS... and it includes 6 classic puzzle games not named Tetris.

Dr. Mario
Yoshi
Yoshi's Cookie
Wario's Woods
Panel de Pon
Kirby's Star Stacker

I need to get my puzzle fix every now and then.
Aw man, that would be nice. I'd buy it just for Panel de Pon, but getting Yoshi/Mario & Yoshi, Wario's Woods, and Star Stacker alongside it for free would be a sweet bonus!

It's frustrating knowing that this will never happen.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Or worse, it does happen, but the Panel de Pon game is literally just Planet Puzzle League.

...Where's your sig from, by the way?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Honestly, you should make and release your PanePon game. The distribution will take care of itself, this being the internet.

And Panel De Pon hasn't been released in the US or EU Virtual console, so you really can't affect their sales anyway.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Or worse, it does happen, but the Panel de Pon game is literally just Planet Puzzle League.

...Where's your sig from, by the way?
I just looked up Planet Puzzle League. It looks ugly. I don't like how the blocks look. I prefer the ones from the SNES game(s).

Nintendo needs to bring back the fairies.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Welcome to the club then. Pretty much everyone who likes Panel de Pon for its characters despises Planet Puzzle League. It's like our Sticker Star or Federation Force: it's the same genre more or less, but in all other regards it completely goes against everything that made people fall in love with the series in the first place. (The panels don't even pop/"pon" anymore. Disgusting!)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sticker Star wasn't that bad IMO. It's different, yes, but it was a pretty decent game on its own merits. I guess for me, Super Paper Mario would be the "Federation Force" of the Paper Mario series IMO since I couldn't finish it... it kept making me fall asleep every time I tried to play it (literally, not figuratively).

But anyway, back to Panel de Pon. I also liked Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle League. At least they had cute characters in the background. There's nothing in Planet Puzzle League that makes it charming.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Another way Planet Puzzle League could be considered the Sticker Star of the Panepon series is that it completely jettisoned all of the characters, setting, and overall charm that made the franchise unique and special to begin with, leaving you with something much more generic and bland. In a way, we're not so different from our Intelligent Systems brethren... now if only we had enough fans to let our displeasure be known.

Personally I don't think Tetris Attack or Pokemon Puzzle League are all that great, character-wise. They have their charm, and I'm more fond of Pokemon PL since more steps were taken to give it its own identity (rather than being a lazy reskin done for no reason other than sexism and pandering, like Tetris Attack was), but the fairies just have this undeniable appeal to them that neither the Yoshi nor Pokemon characters have been able to replicate in my eyes.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
On a scale of 0% to 100%, how upset will you be when if Panel de Pon doesn't get anything for the entirety of the NX's life cycle?

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
0% because I'm not expecting it to.

...now, I say that but it'll probably be more like 100%, knowing me.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
On a scale of 0% to 100%, how upset will you be when if Panel de Pon doesn't get anything for the entirety of the NX's life cycle?
About as upset as most other console/handheld lifecycyles that didn't get anything Panel de Pon related I guess.....

Which.... probably isn't saying that much since outside of Japan we barely got much Panel de Pon related outside of a few reskins to begin with from what I know.... :/

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
You're implying there's more than no Panel de Pon stuff (VC aside) inside of Japan too. I want Lip plushies yesterday, Nintendo. ;~;

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
There was a scrapped Flower copy ability in Kirby Super Star that referenced Panel de Pon; he wears a bow similar to Lip. Also, the ability itself seems to work like Lip's Stick in Smash.
This would have been a fitting power to introduce in Triple Deluxe, but we've got Poison now so it'd be redundant at this point.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
There was a scrapped Flower copy ability in Kirby Super Star that referenced Panel de Pon; he wears a bow similar to Lip. Also, the ability itself seems to work like Lip's Stick in Smash.
This would have been a fitting power to introduce in Triple Deluxe, but we've got Poison now so it'd be redundant at this point.
You know what? The fact that the ability would have worked like that makes me think Lip's Stick isn't even doing what it's supposed to in Smash. For all we know, this should have been a Kirby item...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If an official Panepon RPG ever happens they could easily fix that by, for example, adding in a spell or a special attack where Lip could plant flowers on enemy's heads for a poison-like effect. In fact, judging by the apparent effects of the Flower ability, they may have intended for that to be one of her powers all along.

Cool to hear about the flower ability! It's obvious they had plans for this series that never really came to fruition if they were going to reference it in Super Star. (Also, they could still introduce it in some later game. The Poison ability is irrelevant; they could always revamp the moveset.)

...now I'm sad. Oh well, it's only about four more years or so until the next Smash Bros. game comes out and we all have another chance to get our hopes up unrealistically high for Lip, then get angry and disappointed when the "unexpected" or retro rep turns out to be Hakkun or something.

Last edited:

Argos

Smash Apprentice
You know what? The fact that the ability would have worked like that makes me think Lip's Stick isn't even doing what it's supposed to in Smash. For all we know, this should have been a Kirby item...
Well Sakurai directed both games, I think he mentioned he was a fan of the series back in the Smash 64 days.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It just dawned on me that as the Wii U is put out to pasture and the NX is brought out, we'll have gone one complete console generation without anything new on the Panel de Pon front, not even something sterile and disgusting like Planet Puzzle League. On one hand, I'm glad that the series didn't have a chance to limp on as a shadow of its former self. On the other hand, I hope more and more that whoever was responsible for the franchise-killing decision to remove the fairies in the first place is fired and never finds work again.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
It just dawned on me that as the Wii U is put out to pasture and the NX is brought out, we'll have gone one complete console generation without anything new on the Panel de Pon front, not even something sterile and disgusting like Planet Puzzle League. On one hand, I'm glad that the series didn't have a chance to limp on as a shadow of its former self. On the other hand, I hope more and more that whoever was responsible for the franchise-killing decision to remove the fairies in the first place is fired and never finds work again.
It might be Phillip Sandhop; he's credited in Tetris Attack under North American Localization.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It might be Phillip Sandhop; he's credited in Tetris Attack under North American Localization.
I'm pretty sure it would have to be someone on the Japanese side of things, considering all versions of Planet Puzzle League are affected by that gross techno skin, not just the international versions.

On a lighter note, I made a little pixel art animation:

(tumblr link)

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Day 3 of my Bittober shenanigans. I think I'm getting better at doing scenery.

(Tumblr)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Thiana's turn to get some pixel art love. I tried to go for a worm's eye view perspective here, to emphasize the canopy, but I didn't quite pull it off. Oh well, I still think it looks nice.

(Tumblr)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Back to Lip. I wanted to practice my shading. I really, really, really like how this one turned out.

(Tumblr)

Sorry if it seems like I'm flooding, by the way... It is relevant to the series at least.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

For day 6 it's an actual sprite! (Because I didn't know what to do with the background.) Either that cookie is very big or Sherbet is really small in this picture.

(Tumblr)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Day 7. It's Ruby. She's actually kind of hard to draw because of how detailed her hair is.

(Tumblr)

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

I get the feeling that if there were a Panel de Pon anime (pls nintendo), it would have lots of speedlines.

(Tumblr)

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Thiana taking a little rest for day 10. I honestly didn't intend for this to look as great as it did.

(Tumblr)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Took a short break after the Thiana pic kinda drained me. I'm back now though!

Day 11's not as good as some of the others I've done, I think, but hopefully the Lippabetes will make up for it. I realized a bit too late I should've drawn her dressing up as Ashley. Oh well, what's done is done.

(Tumblr)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

I wanted to give Flare something appropriately cool-looking. Although "cool" is hardly the right word choice for a fire fairy...

(Tumblr)

edit: 100th page HYPE!

Last edited:
Top Bottom