• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PUNISH ME!! (MK) A Mario guide against "cheap tactics and Hard-to beat scenarios"

viparagon

Smash Ace
Punish Me!!!

I decided it was a good time to actually make a good, serious thread, so here goes!
Basically, I'll list a scenario that many players have trouble with, and discussion will ensue with smashers discussing good ways to deal with it. Other character boards have one, and I thought it would be good to breath some life into the Mario boards with some good discussions. These don't have to be tough, and one of the main reasons I made this thread was to prevent all those "OMG!! HOWZ TO YOU BEET MK?!?" threads.
I will be updating the thread every three days or so, so PM me if there are any scenarios you are having trouble with, and I'll think about adding adding it next! If anyone has any tips or suggests about how I should manage the site, also feel free to PM me! This is only my second real thread, so advice would be much appreciated!

Metaknight
Scenario #1

I Just used my Up+b and now I'm gliding towards you! Once I'm close, I'll inevitably use my glide attack and follow it up with a d-smash, nair, or grab! What does poor Mario do?

Best Answer:
You can handle this a large number of ways, but I'll save the best one for last.

First, you can beat MK with the attack by attacking first with a spaced B-air.
Second, you can powershield the hit and Up-B OOS.
Third, you can clash/attempt to beat it with a U-tilt, Up-Smash, or N-air.

My best option: FLUDD him. If he used his Up-B for a glide attack, you can FLUDD him, with induces FIHL and cause his attack to 1) Not hit, and 2) Stay in the air. This'll cause him to go in a helpless animation, where you can Smash him off the stage. Or, if he was at the edge, cape him and make him fall to his doom.

King Dedede!
Scenario #1

I'm a big, ugly penguin! I sit on my big fatass on the edge and spam waddle's until you approach. No matter how you try to approach, I'll just try to sheild grab you, so I can infinite you to 200% and finish you off with a B+throw! Then you can have my big gay dance!

best answer:
from Monk (and HeroMystic sort of)

Mr. Game & Watch
Scenario #1

I REALLY likes mai turtle, And I'll SH it, edge gaurd with it, and basically try to feed you to it whenever possible. PUNISH ME!!

Oh, and whoever gives the best answer gets a Point (why not?)
So far:
Hero: 1
monk: 1

------------------------------------------------​
10/28-established thread, added meta knight
10/30-added dedede
11/04-added GDub

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Mario's Nair has the same priority as MK's glide atk, Mario's Up B goes through it, and Mario can cape it; I don't see anything tough about that situation other than MK's Up B itself.

viparagon

Smash Ace
thanks for the input, that's exactly what i was looking for. A lot of people I know have problems with it, and I'm sure A lot of Mario mains don't know the specifics.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I have no idea where you got the idea to make this thread from or the person who original came up with the idea.

Guess

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
If your close to the edge, attempt to cape his upB. Hopefully you can get a easy gimp KO in.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Vipa, you must've read my mind. I was actually going to make a thread similar to this as well, because we seriously needed something like this.

In any case, I'll lay out my thoughts on the scenario later.

viparagon

Smash Ace
Vipa, you must've read my mind. I was actually going to make a thread similar to this as well, because we seriously needed something like this.

In any case, I'll lay out my thoughts on the scenario later.
Thanks! I was Going go to do d3 edge stalling next, So it would be great to have your imput!:)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Question(s): Does the water gun push away the tornado, or does the tornado cancel out the water? Same question with the drill rush. Basically, is there any MK move that FLUDD could push offstage so he ends in a freefall offstage?

Matt07

Smash Master
Question(s): Does the water gun push away the tornado, or does the tornado cancel out the water? Same question with the drill rush. Basically, is there any MK move that FLUDD could push offstage so he ends in a freefall offstage?
Yes, FLUUD can push MK when he uses his tornado. And I think he would get hit by FIHL (FLUUD Induced Hit Lag) when he uses his Drill Attack.

And, wow I didn't know N-air has the same priority has a Glide Attack :O.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I Just used my Up+b and now I'm gliding towards you! Once I'm close, I'll inevitably use my glide attack and follow it up with a d-smash, nair, or grab! What does poor Mario do?
You can handle this a large number of ways, but I'll save the best one for last.

First, you can beat MK with the attack by attacking first with a spaced B-air.
Second, you can powershield the hit and Up-B OOS.
Third, you can clash/attempt to beat it with a U-tilt, Up-Smash, or N-air.

My best option: FLUDD him. If he used his Up-B for a glide attack, you can FLUDD him, with induces FIHL and cause his attack to 1) Not hit, and 2) Stay in the air. This'll cause him to go in a helpless animation, where you can Smash him off the stage. Or, if he was at the edge, cape him and make him fall to his doom.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The two step guide to beating Meta-Knight with Mario:

1) Spam FLUDD
2) Spam Cape

I said everything you needed to say in the OP in four words. MK does horrible against FLUDD (FIHL) and Cape (all of his recoveries are vulnerable to it).

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I thought it would be good to breath some life into the Mario boards
Mario boards are pretty active...you can't breathe life into something that is living...

Shield Grab the Glide Attack or Fludd....it's not exactly a hard scenario

viparagon

Smash Ace
They're active, yes, but when was the last time you saw a new good thread besides mario playstyle?

W/e don't pay attention to anything I say, I'm not that good.
And you can't shield grab it if they release it soon enough, FYI

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I have a feeling that the answer to at least half of what this thread will cover is Up-B out of shield.

Why? Because it's amazing for punishing stuff due to the speed, invul frames, and priority.

Oh well, I don't play against MK enough anyhow, so I'll leave the discussion about that guy to you guys.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
If mario didnt have Fireballs. MK probably would do him in on a 80/20 type of ratio. They stun him & connect way too often because he's always rushing in swinging.

Main two attacks I have difficulty with is his Ftilt & Dair. Everything else he has is above average. Can handle according long as you don't let him overwhelm you with his onslaught.

Regarding the shield grab on MK's upB atttack. You shielded the quick blow, why wouldnt you be able to grab right afterwards?

Uncharged fludd/cape & fireballs are too much though lol. Now if the MK is playing very slowly, patiently and precise. You may have trouble.

Matt07

Smash Master
Hmm...use Fireballs to hit Waddle Dees, or use the cape. And aim your Fireballs for DeDeDe. Or you can wait on the edge, what ever you do, don't approach him.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Must... refrain... from... calling... out... tactic... from... last night!

It's like... the best tactic ever!

viparagon

Smash Ace
Hmm...use Fireballs to hit Waddle Dees, or use the cape. And aim your Fireballs for DeDeDe. Or you can wait on the edge, what ever you do, don't approach him.
Caping and Fireballing the dees is near useless, since it only stops them and they can jump/beam you later. How bout aproaching with the cape? They can't sheild grab since it spins them around, and dedede doesn't really have any other options for opponents that approach diagonally, soyou can uair after the cape and **** from there, setting up for uair and bair ****, and eventually an offstage gimp.

Matt07

Smash Master
Hmm nice suggestion guys. I think we should definately listen to Monk's advice about this, u-air, to up B, on the edge. And spam Fireballs off the edge, he something very similar to that. He would only be able to grab you once if you got grabbed from the edge anyways :).

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Vipa, check out Matador's, Monk's, and my post in the match-up thread. It pretty much answers the D3 question.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
*makes big post*

In order to battle DDD's camping, you must be more of an a$$hole than DDD is. You have to camp both the edges of the stage, which means stealing his edge too. In order to do so, FLUDD him (fully charged) off the stage to steal his edge, then try to gimp him by spamming FLUDD at him to kill his momentum (Fireball spam and aerial WOP also works too). After his fourth jump, he'll be forced to use Up-B, cape it as soon as possible.

If he goes on the offensive, be gay and camp the edge. Avoid the grab and put him in a u-tilt lock. Abuse the shield-grab and d-throw and use U-air to continously rack up damage. Eventually, throw him off the stage, then commence to gimp him. If he makes it back with his Up-B, just grab him or knock him back off with a B-air, then try again.

If there's any chance you screwed up on the damage racking and missed an attack, get out of there and camp the edge again. It doesn't matter how much momentum you had or how much you f*cked up DDD, it's all over if you get grabbed.

'This is the only matchup where you're at liberty to play as gay as you want, so do what it takes. Spam Fludd, spam fireballs, hide in your shield and upB like there's no tomorrow. This is not an auto-loss for those too stupid to counterpick like myself.' ~ Matador
Give credit to Monk since he was the first to think up the camping tactic.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
dedede doesn't really have any other options for opponents that approach diagonally.
Ftilt? Inhale? SH Bair?

Also, quick question on matador's tactic:
When you FLUDD him off, how do you gimp him with FLUDD afterwards? Do you just shoot uncharged shots of it?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Half-charge it up then shoot it at him. It'll push him back slightly but more importantly doesn't allow him to get to the ledge. He'll be forced to Up-B.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
VS the Turtle:

FIHL badly punishes the turtle

Up B goes through the turtle

Nair comes out faster than the turtle

Top Bottom