• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PRs for JC shines

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
What's the greatest number of JC shines you've done in a row? Just curious. I've done 9.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I had lurked these forums for a while before I joined, and there was just some stuff I wanted to know. When I was reading through the posts on Fox, I just got tired of reading the same questions continuously. I wanted to ask some different questions. Sorry if I got a little post-crazy, I'm just happy to be here. =)

3GOD

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Shai Hulud has done 20+, but I'll let him give the exact number.

I personally haven't really tried many with Fox, but my record with Falco is around 9.

PS - JC Shine out of shield is really good.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Lets keep in mind, JC shining has nothing to do with how good you are at this game. ;)
It doesn't take away from the fact that its crazy hard to do. 20 sounds impossible. 0_0

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Does this have any actual use, or is it simply just for being flashy? Note: I'm not implying any more than 2 shines.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I've done 15
It's good for shieldpressuring, but only if you can do it consistently (cuz if you mistime it and press to late you're gonna be left vulnerable in the air) which you can't (noone can). Also shieldpressuring isn't all that good anyway, except for baiting rolls. so there's really not much point in learning it

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
At a friendly before a tourn I did like 20 JC shines to someone when they were in the gap in the tree on PS. I dunno how I did it lol I just kept doing it and I could never do that much ever again lol

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Zodiak Lucien did like 25 in a tourney match. He only stopped because his opponent respawned :laugh:

Tero.

Smash Champion
I did like 20-30, i dont know the exact number, i dont know how everyone can ****in count them without video ? lol
i should have like 15-20 on video somewhere on my computer, maybe i'll search for that video...

Actually germany is top tier when it come to jc shines lol

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
So for shield pressuring, is it better to do the WD down shine, or should I just grab?

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Well you can jc a grab out of the shine if you end up shining their shield. JC grabbing out of shine is broken, underused, hard to avoid and even harder to punish. Abuse it.
WD:ing down in front on the shield puts you in the risk of getting shieldgrabbed, so it's better to WD behind their shield and pressure them from there if you're gonna do that.
Most players will roll ASAP if you WD out of shine past their shield btw, abuse this by chasing their roll with a grab or whatever (if you have enough and react fast enough, otherwise you can just run away and spam a few lasers or whatever)
Or you can just WD away from your opponent out of the shine, this is prolly the safest option because if you do this fast enough it's pretty much impossible for them to punish you

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
26 or 27, but I probably sat there doing JC shines for three hours that day just to see how many I could do. It was a huge waste of time and my hands hurt afterward.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
So for shield pressuring, is it better to do the WD down shine, or should I just grab?
Wavedashing down shine won't work if people expect it, they can grab/jump out you before you can get the second shine off.

Something I don't know that I would be curious if someone could answer for me. Is it possible for someone to grab you if you shine and wavedash back perfectly against a shielded opponent? Assume the grab is perfect also (ie they grab the soonest possible frame after the shield lag).

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
If you jump-cancel your shine on the first possible frame your opponent will be in shieldhitstun until the very last frame of the pre-jump lag of your jump (that you cancelled your shine with). Let's assume that your opponent starts grabbing on this frame, and that you start your airdodge for your perfect WD the exact frame afterwards (since this is your first airborne frame).

Most grabs grab on the 7th frame (ie the grab "hitbox" comes out on the 7th frame), so this would mean that you would have to slide out of your opponents grab range in 6 frames. And the sliding part (the part where there's dust clouds around your feet and you cant do anything) for a WD takes 10 frames.
In other words: If a little bit more then half of your (perfect) WD length (NOT including the part that you slide AFTER the WD) will take you out of your opponents grabbing range, you're 110% percent safe.
I cant test this reliably though since I don't have AR

So it might not be gauranteed... If you're like inside a marth and try to WD away from him as he shieldgrabs your shine perfectly. But if you are that close to him in the first place you can get out of grabbing range faster through WDing past/behind him.

It's sure as hell the safest option though, and to be realistic... If you JC the shine soon enough and perfect WD away, you will not get punished for it (unless you're being predictable about it and your opponent is a frame perfect marth).
People do things (out of the shine right in front of shields) that are waaay more punishable then this all the time without getting punished for it.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
My COUNTED personal record is 24, but I beat it yesterday. Unfortunately, no one counted it, but I know that I beat it. It was more than 24 though.

okiyama

Smash Ace
I can consistently do 2 in a row but I'm having trouble going beyond 5-6 on luck. I don't know but I get a rythm going and things are fine but I always make a dumb mistake or mess up my rythme.

Practice could help, but it's not worth it, I need to tighten my waveshining beofer I do that(I can waveshine across FD very easily but my shines are slow.)

Lol, is that the real musashi? I thought he wasn't playing anymore. Lol and he only has 8 posts.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
or you can jump. jumping is faster than wding anyways, in terms of frame-speed.
then you'll leave yourself vulnerable above of them, so they can jump out of shield hit you. So no, frame-wise, you'd be in a danger zone for a longer time
loads of marths do sh uair after a shine b/c they expect a jump
but if they're not expecting it, sure

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Wow, you must be breaking shields.
No, not really...I can't do them super fast consistently, so I stick to doing them slower and more consistently. I don't think I've every broken a shield with purely JC shines. Although, last night at a smashfest, I ended up breaking a shield with my teams partner, and JC shines played a part in breaking it :p

This guy is a bucket full of lies.
Ask anybody who plays Melee still in Northern VA. Most of the people who still play Melee have been to my fests and know that I'm a very technical Fox, and know that I'm very good at doing JC shines.

Also, PR upped to 46.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't believe it without video.

My record is 26. This was me just sitting there practicing them.

But I don't expect anyone to believe that lol. The most I have on video is 19 in a match. And they were slowish lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8maEf7vGc5Y

Cam3ron

Smash Cadet
Ive done 12 but on average only 5.
With falco i can two at the most.
I suck at them.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Well, as long as we are being honest, I've done OVER NI.... well, you know the rest. Lol, Kirby Kaze, isn't that post kind of redundant?

Top Bottom