• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proving Whether or Not MK is bannable with Data: A community to do list

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
There is no reason for you to pick the 49 character, when you would have a better chance of winning the tournament with the 51 character. I assume you disagree, but you haven't provided an argument why you would want to screw yourself like this.

Two words defeat the whole "There is no reason to pick the 49 character", and "why you would want to screw yourself" lines.

Its called...

Personal Preference

*Boom!*

That was that entire statement going up in flames.

Have a nice day.

RDK

Smash Hero
The funny thing is that this is exactly the same situation we were in when people ran around screaming their heads off about how good Snake was at the very beginning. MK is no different; even some of his matchups are evening out. Snake arguably goes even with him, maybe even a bit better, and like someone mentioned before Wario has a neutral matchup with him.

Overclassed

Smash Journeyman
@ Ally vs M2K

This match as an argument against banning is as unfounded as the argument that HOBO was proof he should be banned.

@ SL

Ah. I guess I just get antsy when my posts go uncommented. I'm probably too mindful of the '45' under my join date.

@ Swordguard

Actually, there would be a problem if a character dominated 99.9% of play. What you're suggesting is that it would be a-OK for Pikachu to win every match up until the final match of a tourney, where he meets another Pikachu and they both switch up characters just for the hell of it (or they don't, since it may not be the .1%')

RDK

Smash Hero
@ Ally vs M2K

This match as an argument against banning is as unfounded as the argument that HOBO was proof he should be banned.
It's not objective, definitive proof, but if we are to take M2K's word for it that both were actually playing their best, then that means that Snake is able to beat MK at the highest level of the metagame. Many probies whine about how he has no disadvantageous matchups; Ally beating M2K indicates that if Snake doesn't have a slight advantage (which I and several others think he does), he at least goes even with him.

Not to mention Wario.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Two words defeat the whole "There is no reason to pick the 49 character", and "why you would want to screw yourself" lines.

Its called...

Personal Preference

*Boom!*

Have a nice day.
Wow, somebody who actually understands this. This exactly what I have been trying to get accross, I tend to just get called a 'noob' or 'not truly competetive' though.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It's not objective, definitive proof, but if we are to take M2K's word for it that both were actually playing their best, then that means that Snake is able to beat MK at the highest level of the metagame. Many probies whine about how he has no disadvantageous matchups; Ally beating M2K indicates that if Snake doesn't have a slight advantage (which I and several others think he does), he at least goes even with him.

Not to mention Wario.

I am jealous of your red typing.
I shall go with green.
There

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
Wow, somebody who actually understands this. This exactly what I have been trying to get accross, I tend to just get called a 'noob' or 'not truly competetive' though.
You see, when you beat someone because you did something unexpected with Yoshi and destroyed them, they will either shut up or shout Johns to the sky. Yoshi isn't at viable as some other characters, but who cares?

If you and a character don't click, you aren't going to win. It is the main reason I don't play MK. He just doesn't work with me. Anyone who calls me an idiot because of this will get to taste what my signature says. Thus, the quoted post's quote.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
You see, when you beat someone because you did something unexpected with Yoshi and destroyed them, they will either shut up or shout Johns to the sky. Yoshi isn't at viable as some other characters, but who cares?

If you and a character don't click, you aren't going to win. It is the main reason I don't play MK. He just doesn't work with me. Anyone who calls me an idiot because of this will get to taste what my signature says. Thus, the quoted post's quote.
Does beating a Falco on the first match with no prior knowledge of their play style count as something surprising?

I was using Bowser by the way, though I think the win was mostly luck. Falco's attacks come out too fast for me and I end up almost panicking (My face IRL doesn't show it though).

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
Does beating a Falco on the first match with no prior knowledge of their play style count as something surprising?

I was using Bowser by the way, though I think the win was mostly luck. Falco's attacks come out too fast for me and I end up almost panicking (My face IRL doesn't show it though).

To be honest, I'd have to see the Falco at the time when you played them, and you for that matter, too.

Smash Master

Its called...

Personal Preference

*Boom!*

Have a nice day.
I'd pick the 1-99 guy for the same reason. It wouldn't work out so well in a tournament setting. Eventually the people who want to win would beat me unless I was distinctly better then them.

Duh?

RDK

Smash Hero
I'd pick the 1-99 guy for the same reason. It wouldn't work out so well in a tournament setting. Eventually the people who want to win would beat me unless I was distinctly better then them.

Duh?
Picking a 1-99 instead of going for an even slightly easier matchup--you know, one that's actually winnable--just means that you are either willfully stupid, or your knowledge of character matchups is in the negatives. That, or you're just not playing to win.

Personal preference is allowable (to an extent) when you're playing to win, but only up to a certain point. There's a line when practicality should override personal preference, and going 1-99 just based on personal preference is strictly ********.

auroreon

Smash Ace

This guys gets it.

My friend plays the best Bowser in the UK and he wins the majority of his matches against players who should have the advantage, he has beaten some very high level Falcos. People underestimate the importance of matchup experience against unique character choices, they just assume that they are at enough of an advantage to negate matchup experience but this is rarely the case. One of the biggest advantages one has as an unusual character is character shock, its very unlikely your opponant has much experience against your character and knows how to take advantage of you, but you have probably fought their character countless times and know the matchup well.

Picking a 1-99 instead of going for an even slightly easier matchup--you know, one that's actually winnable--just means that you are either willfully stupid, or your knowledge of character matchups is in the negatives. That, or you're just not playing to win.

Personal preference is allowable (to an extent) when you're playing to win, but only up to a certain point. There's a line when practicality should override personal preference, and going 1-99 just based on personal preference is strictly ********.
What you are not seeing is that 'winning' is subjective. To most people who will choose the character that gives them the biggest chance of victory in the match, winning is just that, defeating the opponant by any means nessesary.
For me though, and I'm sure many people who play a character through preference, a win is only truly a win if they are successful with the character of their personal preference. Sure, I could choose MetaKnight and have a dramtically increased chance of winning, but for me personally it would be pretty meaningless to win with MK.
The satisfaction of victory is far more forfilling when it is against the odds, the feeling of defeating a Snake, MK, Falco or ay other high tier character with someone like Yoshi could never be matched when playing as a high tier character.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Aw, adumbrodeus, this is just cruel. You know they'll never be able to do this (because the truth is that MK isn't as good as many delusional pro-banners seem to believe he is)!

Overclassed

Smash Journeyman
What you are not seeing is that 'winning' is subjective.
No. Winning is not subjective. You either win, or you lose.

Having fun is subjective. You may not have fun winning with MK, but if you lose tourney after tourney with Yoshi and choose not to try a 'better' character simply because you like Yoshi more, you're doing it because you find it more fun to be him.

And that isn't an issue. Play for your own reasons- just don't disillusion yourself with the idea that playing with preference is in any way shape or form playing to win.

auroreon

Smash Ace
No. Winning is not subjective. You either win, or you lose.

Having fun is subjective. You may not have fun winning with MK, but if you lose tourney after tourney with Yoshi and choose not to try a 'better' character simply because you like Yoshi more, you're doing it because you find it more fun to be him.

And that isn't an issue. Play for your own reasons- just don't disillusion yourself with the idea that playing with preference is in any way shape or form playing to win.
Ok first, try reading the rest of my post.
Also, if I wasn't playing to win then I wouldn't be trying to KO the other player...
As long as you are trying to win the match, by definition you are playing to win.

Overclassed

Smash Journeyman
Ok first, try reading the rest of my post.
Also, if I wasn't playing to win then I wouldn't be trying to KO the other player...
As long as you are trying to win the match, by definition you are playing to win.
Only if you're trying your hardest to win the match.

You can still be trying to win and playing to learn. Or playing for fun.

Nice try though.

Also, I did read the rest of your post, but it all seemed to sum up nicely into that one sentence, so I quoted it.

Overclassed

Smash Journeyman
And thats exactly what I do in tournament matches.
You try as hard as you can with the character you have.

It would be like participating in a sword fight with a pocket knife, so to speak. Sure, you might manage a stab here and there, but overall, if you want to be seen as a threat, you'll pick up the bigger sword.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You try as hard as you can with the character you have.

It would be like participating in a sword fight with a pocket knife, so to speak. Sure, you might manage a stab here and there, but overall, if you want to be seen as a threat, you'll pick up the bigger sword.
Then why choose MK over Ike? I mean, Ike CLEARLY has the bigger sword.

And knives are faster... What's the use in having range, if your opponent can stab you 3+ times while you try and stab/slash at him twice? It takes 5 stabs then just running away and letting him bleed to death in order to win (ie. planking)...

[/troll]

RDK

Smash Hero
And thats exactly what I do in tournament matches.
If character preference takes precedence over common sense and strategy, then you are not playing to win; you are playing to play a specific character, and winning becomes secondary.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If character preference takes precedence over common sense and strategy, then you are not playing to win; you are playing to play a specific character, and winning becomes secondary.
I guess Brawl is just one of those games where winning is secondary to anything else, since we have less MK mains than any other character. Having everyone play to win, by your definition, would mean everyone taking the best options and exploiting them. Two MKs fighting in BF, FD and SV would mean it's playing to win, right? Then again, playing a game with just one option is not a good way of passing the time... What are you trying to do, force overcentralization on just one option?

I'd rather win as Kirby, ZSS and Snake. They "click" for me. I'm sure that if I mained MK I'd do a lot better, but I wouldn't be able to do the many stunts I can pull off with kirby (inhaling someone offstage and spitting them into the horizontal blast zone is one of many), ZSS (downB spikes near 0% always make me smile), and Snake (cooking grenades, then grenade dropping them near the ledge to shut up campers... Or utilting opponents then throwing the cooked grenades upwards, exploding and killing my opponents off the top).

If it meant using the character I felt most confident with, I'd choose the 49-51 over the 51-49 every time I had the option to choose, if and only if I felt more confident with the 49-51. After all, a margin so low could only mean "the most skilled wins", right? ...Now, 1-99 is just a ridiculous argument. No one should even consider using the 1-99, it's obvious you have to be 100 times better than your opponent in order to win.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I guess Brawl is just one of those games where winning is secondary to anything else, since we have less MK mains than any other character. Having everyone play to win, by your definition, would mean everyone taking the best options and exploiting them. Two MKs fighting in BF, FD and SV would mean it's playing to win, right? Then again, playing a game with just one option is not a good way of passing the time... What are you trying to do, force overcentralization on just one option?
No because the game wouldn't be play MK or lose.
THat would be overcentralization due to popularity which just isn't valid.
oh wait I am going off on another tangent.

MK is the most polpular character of them all.
While MK certainly is not more popular than every character combined, he is certainly more popular than any singular character.

Unless I am mistake in which case feel free to correct me.

IN anycase we are all scrubs.

RDK

Smash Hero

I'd rather win as Kirby, ZSS and Snake. They "click" for me. I'm sure that if I mained MK I'd do a lot better, but I wouldn't be able to do the many stunts I can pull off with kirby (inhaling someone offstage and spitting them into the horizontal blast zone is one of many), ZSS (downB spikes near 0% always make me smile), and Snake (cooking grenades, then grenade dropping them near the ledge to shut up campers... Or utilting opponents then throwing the cooked grenades upwards, exploding and killing my opponents off the top).

If it meant using the character I felt most confident with, I'd choose the 49-51 over the 51-49 every time I had the option to choose, if and only if I felt more confident with the 49-51. After all, a margin so low could only mean "the most skilled wins", right? ...Now, 1-99 is just a ridiculous argument. No one should even consider using the 1-99, it's obvious you have to be 100 times better than your opponent in order to win.
So why aren't all you people maining MetaKnight anyway? Seems a bit contradictory.
You guys aren't very good at reading posts, are you? Let me quote myself for posterity:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Why this won't work:

1. A "better" matchup model does not make a "good" matchup model. And good luck accounting for mind games. It's not as though you could take the mean of every human error in every match and call it a day. Some errors are far more devestating than others ( a ff fair instead of a dair versus fox side-b off the stage) and you just cant account for random accidents.
Well, the objective is an inherently good model, so that point is moot.

Since match-ups are at the top of the metagame, random accidents are irrelevent, "error" is in terms of being tricked.

2. Your criteria for nonviable is an 80-20 matchup based on this new 'model'. There is no way the community as a whole would ever agree to that. Some favor 100 - 0 as nonviable. Some say 70 - 30. And why 51% of the cast? In this situation, a game could consist of...

Character A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J

A has 80:20 matchups on B,C,D,E (40%), 70:30 matchups on F,G,H,I,J, and a 50/50 matchup with himself.

He isn't banworthy then?
Please note that I accounted for that in my criteria, a discussion of what is nonviable in terms of match-up level (granted, it was implicit, especially since I never had 80-20 as the starting value). I'm moving towards a gradational scale based on character concentration in the metagame.

3. Empirical matchups are worthless unless skill is a factor. If I take Ganon to a bunch of low-level tourneys and beat out 6 metaknights on my way to claiming victory, that does not mean Ganon is in any way shape or form a good pick against MK. It just means I managed to be better.
Which is why it only functions as a check instead of the measure itself, the theory is enough games will occur to deal with such irregularities. Again, check out the methodology.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Meh. All this theory really doesn't get anywhere. The best "evidence" would be if we had a sizable amount of MK-less tourneys (perhaps as a side event at bigger tournaments) and saw if lower tier characters did indeed place better.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Why exactly was the thread closed? I'm fully aware they weren't making any progress in any way but it still seems like people on the board should be able to talk about whatever they want pointless as it may be. Closing topics like that has a creepy Big Brother vibe to it. You will discuss what we want you to discuss.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Why exactly was the thread closed? I'm fully aware they weren't making any progress in any way but it still seems like people on the board should be able to talk about whatever they want pointless as it may be. Closing topics like that has a creepy Big Brother vibe to it. You will discuss what we want you to discuss.
They closed the topic because there was nothing to talk about. Everyone who posted there wanted it closed, since the same things were said over and over again, except different wordings were used ever time... So it was a postcount+1 kind of thread.

No because the game wouldn't be play MK or lose.
THat would be overcentralization due to popularity which just isn't valid.
oh wait I am going off on another tangent.
I never said I was talking about metagame overcentralization, I meant exactly what you said: overcentralization by popularity. :)

MK is the most polpular character of them all.
While MK certainly is not more popular than every character combined, he is certainly more popular than any singular character.
(Snake and Dedede aren't far behind, but that's besides the point) I meant "MK vs The rest". Right now he isn't really overcentralizing popularity, nor the metagame. He's a fine character, with one big difference between the rest of the cast: he's better overall.

IN anycase we are all scrubs.
Scrubs who will grow into gigantic bushes that bloom flowers of proness...?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I never said I was talking about metagame overcentralization, I meant exactly what you said: overcentralization by popularity. :)
Oh okay then we agree woohoo

(Snake and Dedede aren't far behind, but that's besides the point) I meant "MK vs The rest". Right now he isn't really overcentralizing popularity, nor the metagame. He's a fine character, with one big difference between the rest of the cast: he's better overall.
Even if he did overcentralize due topopularity it wouldn't matter really
Scrubs who will grow into gigantic bushes that bloom flowers of proness...?
Scrubs who use the lesser character of course =)

Shark Week

Smash Apprentice
3. No other character fits these attributes.
i'm pretty sure this criteria is irrelevant. i'll cite an example from street fighter:

in super street fighter 2 turbo (st), a character named cammy is the worst character in the game. she has difficult inputs, unsafe attacks, and has difficulty with projectiles, among other problems. in this game there is also a character named e. honda. with out getting into too many specifics (too many terms would need defining), e. honda completely destroys anyone that doesn't have a projectile, such as cammy. this match up is borderline unwinnable, short of the honda handing over a win; cammy just doesn't have a chance. this match up is about 9-1 in favor of honda.

and then of course, there's akuma, probably the most famous "broken character" in all of fighting game history. akuma has fireball traps that force a character to just sit and take chip damage (as their best option), he has an invulnerable teleport with no start up and no recovery, he cannot be dizzied, and that's not even the half of it. akuma was intended to be the best character in the game and it shows. needless to say, essentially 9-1 with the entire cast.

akuma, being as powerful as he is, destroys cammy as much as he destroys anyone else. he makes her, like the rest of the cast, completely nonviable. however, honda does this exact same thing (and to others, remember?). using your criteria akuma would have stayed legal; hell, for that matter, i'm not even sure he was the only 9-1 for "50%+1" of the cast. but the fact that he was the answer for everything was what got him banned.

now, obviously mk is not 9-1 with every character, but that is a separate point to the one i am addressing: a character does not need to be the only thing holding another character back, nor does a character need to be the worst thing holding another character back, as demonstrated by st akuma, the most broken character ever, ever.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The biggest problem with collecting Data is that, although it may seem neutral, people can view it subjectively. A good example of this is the WHOBO results.

For just about any tournament results out there, I can pick a side and point out subjective things and make the results less neutral. If I want to, I can take a look at a tournament that literally has 8 MK's in the top 8, and I can either argue that those players were the best players who attended the tournament, hence they got the top spots, or I can say those players got the spots because of how strong MK is as a character.

Either point of view can be seen as correct, depending on how you view the Data, since even with guidelines I can point out things like "Oh well other characters besides MK were not fully represented by their top players, therefore these results are invalid or tainted" or "MK's completely dominated the tournament with all of the best players of other characters attending, therefore proving his need to be removed from competitive play".

If a National sized tournament had EVERY spot filled by a MK main, I could reasonably argue that those results just prove who were the better players, since everyone had a level playing field, or I could argue that popularity/over centralization due to popularity is not a reason a character should be banned.

If a National Sized tournament had NO spots filled by MK mains, I could reasonably argue that MK was not truly represented at that tournament or that the unpopularity/lack of popularity of a character does not prove that they should remain in competitive play/that unpopularity doesn't affect the actual properties of the character.

Top Bottom