• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pros of the future

dotpwn

Smash Journeyman
It's going to be fun to see how the introduction of brawl will affect our "pro" status player list. Maybe they got in late on melee and like the scene, maybe they like sonic (xD) or the pretty pictures.

Rebuttal: Skillz are not entirely related to the game but the "pro" player simply has the mindgames(!) and tech skills to beat a scrub of any generation. Current smasher will populate the future pros

Counter-Rebuttal: It is known this is not melee 2.0. Mindgames as we know them are changed, see gimpyfish's update thread <:D. The new untainted smasher who's not held back by his old knowledge will take the top.

OBJECTION!: Discuss

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
There will definitely be a shift in the "pro list" but most of the good players in Melee will continue to be good in Brawl, but maybe not as good. Some of the other above average but not quite pros may move up. In general though, I don't think many bad players will rise to the top, new game or not.

iMichael

Smash Lord
There will definitely be a shift in the "pro list" but most of the good players in Melee will continue to be good in Brawl, but maybe not as good. Some of the other above average but not quite pros may move up. In general though, I don't think many bad players will rise to the top, new game or not.
Sorry Dotpwn

*capes recovery*

dotpwn

Smash Journeyman
What were the pros of melee but scrubs in the beginning? Granted the years of melee and 64 being out have granted much insight into the mental aspect of this game, but some people are just dang good, good genese i suppose XD. Not really trying to say anyones wrong here thats why made several arguments of my own. Hmm time will tell eh. Good stuff keep eet comin

waffu

Smash Cadet
If you ever followed professional Halo, you'd see that with each game came a new list of pros except for maybe 1 or 2 groups.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
People will rise, people will fall. Some Melee pros are boycotting Brawl so who knows if that will change anything. Everyone starts out at an even playing field in a way though. Anyone can become a great smasher, they just need the time and dedication. Of course there is 'natural' skill, but what is really natural about smash bros.?

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
What were the pros of melee but scrubs in the beginning?
Yes, but like it's been stated in hundreds of pro vs noob topics, the pros have developed a certain mindset that gives them an advantage. They learn to read their opponents quickly, they know how to think calmly in an intense fight, they don't let their emotions screw them over, and they're all around most strategic than noobs. That's what makes them better. A new game cannot magically make a noob a more strategic player. That takes time and practice.

dotpwn

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but like it's been stated in hundreds of pro vs noob topics, the pros have developed a certain mindset that gives them an advantage. They learn to read their opponents quickly, they know how to think calmly in an intense fight, they don't let their emotions screw them over, and they're all around most strategic than noobs. That's what makes them better. A new game cannot magically make a noob a more strategic player. That takes time and practice.
i think the point is that people become pros because they practice and gain those mindets :/. Not like since people start with brawl they have no chance to develop it. Im not trying to say someone can pick up a controller and be magically amazing. Im just thinking of the new gen. Think about it like 64-> Melee. People can develop it. Once again, my point is not that n00bs are magical

Edit: Gimpyfish is too good. He gets his own class.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
all my melee practice without using advanced techs may pay off for once in the competitive smash world. i'll be online and owning with peach on february 10, 2007.

look for Bajef....and fear him.

Viking Ness

Smash Journeyman
Technically MLG has to pick Brawl up before we have 'Pros'. So lets all keep our fingers crossed for that one

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
Evo might still have smash. I dont know if theyve said anything about brawl yet but I think they were discussing what rule set it should use a while ago.

Jmax

Smash Cadet
Yeah, a lot of players who are bad will probably stay that way, once they get beat and discouraged on IRC.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
i'll be one of the best mmhmmmmm
Oh, it's on Gimpy. :)

I know, judging by what GF62 has told us, that my *professional skills will carry over to Brawl. It's not like they'd make SSBB completely different...

*I'm not bragging or lying, I'm not 1337marth, lol. I'm just saying I do play at a professional level.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
GimpyFish: You are a silly person, GimpyFish. Why, way back when I met GimpyFish for the first time (FCD was the first time right GimpyFish?) I enjoyed watching G-reg create an amazing electric bowser, using a combination of GimpyFish and knee. Do you remember it as I do GimpyFish? They were good times were they not GimpyFish? If only we could meet again GimpyFish... We could relive all of those GimpyFish-like moments... When will I see my GimpyFish again?

Edit: Tee-hee

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ITS TERRIFYING T-T

why catctuaaaaaa

wwwwhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy

EDIT: thats better XD

EDIT NUMBER TWO: T-T cactuah hates me T-T

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
LOL. I like Gimpy more, bit*h. LOL!

Anywayz, did you play as Peach?

Wats her entrance?

On topic: Of course, there will be NEW pros, but it depends on how you define "pro".

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
I'm kind of hoping that with Brawl being different from Melee, that now all players will be on (well, at least close to) an even level, so those of us who want to become competitive, can become competitive with the rest of the crowd. (Like me. Now I can learn about adv. techs as the game progresses, not 5+ years after the fact.)

baheffron

Smash Apprentice
Why would some of the pros "boycott" brawl? It's not like their 30 or so sales is going to do anything to Nintendo.

I believe that the list of pros will be almost entirely different, with a couple pros from melee still near the top.; sort of like how Isai was the best ssb player and you still see him near the top for melee but not the best. You have to account for the fact that ssbb will bring an entire new generation to the hardcore scene - the kids who were to young to attend melee tournies will now be able to attend brawl tournaments, adding many new face to the core scene.

xelad1

Smash Ace
Why would some of the pros "boycott" brawl? It's not like their 30 or so sales is going to do anything to Nintendo.

I believe that the list of pros will be almost entirely different, with a couple pros from melee still near the top.; sort of like how Isai was the best ssb player and you still see him near the top for melee but not the best. You have to account for the fact that ssbb will bring an entire new generation to the hardcore scene - the kids who were to young to attend melee tournies will now be able to attend brawl tournaments, adding many new face to the core scene.
Yeah but SSB also had a much smaller competitive community compared to melee, melee is much more popular overall. If some of the current pros cross over then you will probably see most of them at the top before long. Other people, like gimpyfish, for instance may rise in the ranks due to a possible lack in character limitations (since bowser doesn't apparently suck anymore). Still more and more people who dedicate themselves will rise over time as well. I'm pretty sure though if people like M2K, PC Chris, and others decide they want to play brawl professionally they will still dominate the scene.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Well with online it will be easier to discover new pros.
But i think the only way people will rise to respectable pro status is by mastering a newcomer

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Don't forget that many pros of the current generation just flat out retire. So, it's not entirely accurate to say, "Wow! Different people were the best in Brawl!" New players enter the community all while old ones march their way out.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Don't forget, Ken used to be (and still is) awesome at the original Smash.
I think it was Chudat and Mew2king...anyway, I remember a couple Melee pros going to a Smash 64 tournament last year (I think) and doing pretty well. They also teamed up and got 3rd in 2v2.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
We won't know for sure until it comes out. I heard that L-cancelling and WD aren't there? *blinks* Is this for real? I mean....L-cancelling....they can't nerf that. (Go to the Kirby forum for confirmation of my rumor, that's where I head it.) I mean...just the fact that that existed and well....yeah all the advanced stuff made me want to play Melee again.

edit- There are going to be pros who remain and pros who are new for sure. I do have a feeling that Isai will be one of the best...again, lol. Also...I still think that Sensei will be awesome...as always. *nods*

turbo_ja

Smash Apprentice
People will rise, people will fall. Some Melee pros are boycotting Brawl so who knows if that will change anything. Everyone starts out at an even playing field in a way though. Anyone can become a great smasher, they just need the time and dedication. Of course there is 'natural' skill, but what is really natural about smash bros.?
honestly, whoever boycots brawl deserves a smack across the face, its the NEW smash. EMBRACE it. And whos to say it won't be better than melee? it hasn't even come out yet. i hope it didn't coem down like this

attention: wavedashing is out of brawl.

hardcore melee'r: so, i'll see you guys in the melee tourney 2010?

Top Bottom