• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pros and Cons of the Pokémon Trainer?

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
charizard= flying boswer

ivysaur= tether recovery mario

squirtle= water-type pikachu

IMO, mind you

and lol at shining ivysaur's post I didnt read that before i posted

krackizwak

Smash Cadet
the only con i can see is the stamina affects the pokemon and also if the stamina is affect faster due to damage and maybe use of special moves. this wasnt really gone into on Dojo so i dont know if any of this even makes a difference just pure speculation. but just cause he didnt say anything doesnt make these ideas less likely lots of stuff was left unsaid about many characters.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
Charizard seems a pro all by itself... think about it.....

Considering he's heavy, he won't be able to be completely KO'd off the screen until much higher %'s......

AND, because of his glide, he'l be able to recover when he IS sent flying far, so there will be less KO's from falling ( which is usually heavy character's doom)

O_O He's not going to be dieing to often.....unless stanima renders him useless

~*Ice Climbers*~

Smash Cadet
Stamina?

Does it not let them move or make them slower? Or does it make their percentage go high?

Or nobody knows yet?

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
We have no idea yet. My assumption is that it may cause your pokemon to slow down in terms of traction, or weaken their offensive and defensive stats. They may even be unable to use their B-attacks, which would perfectly emulate how you run out of PP in the game from keeping a monster out too long.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Wow, heres a pro and con I haven't seen.

Pro, we get 3 new playable pokemon in the most unique way possible.

con, we could very well not get anymore new pokemon because of it depinding on how you look at it:p

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I'd say an overall con is the stamina thing. =(

Squirtle will probably be fastest, but weakest and vice-versa for Charizard.
I know. The stamina thing will make Pokemon trainer poorly suited for long matches.
Survive too long and anyone will KO you quickly. Let's see how bad it is. If it's that bad, he will be bottom tier.:(

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
I know. The stamina thing will make Pokemon trainer poorly suited for long matches.
Survive too long and anyone will KO you quickly. Let's see how bad it is. If it's that bad, he will be bottom tier.
But you are forgetting that while inside their pokeballs, the pokemon will recover their stamina.

The point is to keep switching out pokemon ocassionally, not to give all three set staminas that remain as such fro the rest of the fight. So it's ALMOST like a sort of time limit for each monster to be out at a time.

RapeFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Pros: Charizard

Cons: Stamina, though I hope its like Zelda/Sheik and they tried to make it sound as if you MUST switch pokemon

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
I think a con also would be the fact that they switch in a set order. So if you're Charizard, and you want to immediately switch to Squirtle, you'll have to first switch to Ivysaur, and THEN switch Squirtle.

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
Im guessing it would just be best to switch out pokemon everytime you make a kill.
I bet there uber starting out but the longer you play with them the more lag there attacks recieve.

So a pro pokemon trainer player would switch out at every opportunity.
-Everytime you KO your opponent
-Everytime you knock you opponent high into the air or off the edge
-Every opportunity you can.

So I think this will mix things up quite a bit.

Loranga

Smash Rookie
i wonder if you can change your pokemon right when its about to die.will the next pokemon start out where the previous one got wsitched ....or will it just dont work. it would be cool if you could swith out befor it got killed.............................

supermarioshell

Smash Apprentice
My idea:

Squirtle: The Weak and Fast one
Charizard: The Strong and slow one
Ivysaur: Both quick (he has four legs) AND strong(he is almost heavy like Charizard)!

PROS:
-You can change character!
-When you change pokemon at first, they will have 0 stamina!
-When you are in mid-air, you can change pokemon and get a faster recovery!
-Squirtle is the fastest, Charizard is the strongest.
-Ivysaur is the most balanced, making him an average character(as of what I see)
-Also, by assuming, I think you can miss some long ranged attacks while changing pokemon.(because you go back into a pokeball for a short time)

CONS:
-When you change pokemon, your pokemon wont have a health of 100%
-The pokemon have stamina (probably of 100%), so they will get KO'd easily when their stamina reaches 0%.
-Chances are, when you change pokemon in mid air, you will fall while changing.
-Squirtle is probably the weakest, Charizard is the slowest
-You might not change into the right pokemon when you want, so that might make you an easy target, sadly.

I hope my CONS and PROS were good...

saratos

Smash Apprentice
Hear, Hear! On pro level, you die at 50% anyways, due to ledgeguarding! The Stamina may actually be a bonus because knockback can't increase with damage. Like in stamina mode in Melee.

LoserNumber2

Smash Apprentice
PROS
squirtle,ivysaur,charizard

CONS
some gay little 10 year old in the back telling them what to do
jk
its pokemon trainer he has no cons

Mandalore

Smash Apprentice
I really hate the stamina thing. I don't think it'll stop people from trying to main one of the three like with Sheik, it just makes it even harder. A lot of Sheik players switch to Zelda and UpB back to recover, but it's already going to be hard since you'll probably have to switch twice to get a good recovering Pokemon of the three.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I really hate the stamina thing. I don't think it'll stop people from trying to main one of the three like with Sheik, it just makes it even harder. A lot of Sheik players switch to Zelda and UpB back to recover, but it's already going to be hard since you'll probably have to switch twice to get a good recovering Pokemon of the three.
How can you hate something you don't have a clue about?

dorky24

Smash Rookie
I think that you can change in mid air, but u'll just be in the same place you were. Anybody wonder what happens when u lose all your stock in a 4 player match? cause the pt is in the background giving u orders. heh be cool if u see him get on all fours like in the anime.

Skylan

Smash Apprentice
Squirtle = Speed type, quick with small size makes him hard to attack

Ivysaur = Range type, average size and speed but is able to attack from a distance easily

Charizard = Power type, Meant to deal lots of damage, but is a large target and rather slow

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
Squirtle - he is your fast pokemon. he can attack fast and escape well yet he is rather weak

Ivysaur - he can punish people in the air and he has a good ranged game

charizard - dealing lots of damage and is very heavy but has lag

overall i am most excited about playing Ivysaur he looks so unique to play and i dont think the stamina factor will stop people from maining one pokemon.Do you think the stamina will reset after you die with the pokemon?

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
he has withdraw and Waterfall. 2 moves giving him the ability to maneuver round the battlefeild thats what i meant by fast and he could have a good running speed

EDIT - he does seem smaller then one expected

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Pro:
Originality, fun to play with

Con:
Seeing as there are 3 different playstyles, one must completely switch his game when he switches a pokémon, and as we all know some playstyles don't work against some characters, so you'll be facing a though time when playing competitive matches, you MUST master all the 3 different pokémon in order to win, which to me, seems like a hard job...
In other words, try beating someone up with Sheik and after you've killed them, try switching to Zelda and own with her...that doesn't work too does it?

maxieman

Smash Ace
It certainly doesn't help that in the Charmander-centered episode of the anime it was said that if the flame on its tail goes out, it dies.
actually it just said it would never battle again, perhaps it wont be able to use fire moves no mo?

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Charzard:
Pros- Powerhouse, can glide
Cons- lack of long-range attacks, slow

Ivysaur:
Pros- Range and speed
Cons- lack of powerful attacks

Squirtle:
Pros- none
Cons- none

Overall:
Pros- good diversity in moves, decent FS
Cons- You HAVE to switch pokemon (stamina)

Cless

Smash Champion
There's also the fact that the pokemon switch in a set order and you can't choose which one you want to switch in and out.

Charizard is kinda small though. He's only about twice as tall as Kirby.

Turbo Grafx-16

Smash Cadet
I think PT will be great in the beginning of the match because you are in complete control. You can choose one of three very different pokemon to counter your opponent and get a nice early lead. The problem of course is that your opponent can wait for you to lose stamina and attack a character that doesn't counter him.

Pro: Great in the beginning.
Con:You will have trouble in the long run.

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
---------------Speed-----Defense-----Strength-----Special---------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------If swimming becomes an element
Squirtle-------Fast-------Sturdy--------Weak------of the game like gliding has, then we
--------------------------------------------------------whose a swimmer!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------Thank goodness for Ivysaur's vines
Ivysaur-----Average----Average----Average------that will save him many a time
---------------------------------------------------------because of the tether recovery!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------Hello! What's not great about the
Charizard-----Fast-------Fragile-------Strong-------fact that he can fly, or, glide that is,
---------------------------------------------------------but still completely awesome!

Top Bottom