• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pros and Cons of the Pokémon Trainer?

S0KZ

Smash Cadet
What do you think each individual Pokemon will excel at?

What will be some of the major weaknesses of each Pokemon?

Black/Light

Smash Master
I think Squirtle will be the balanced one, Char the heavy power house and Ivy the speedy one with the most range.

Pros: You can play as 3 different characters at once!!!

Cons: We have no idea what happens with the stamina thing.

Meta_Knight_14

Smash Cadet
also, it seems like each one is going to have drastically different levels of survivability. It's gonna suck if you get stuck with Squirtle against ****in Bowser or something.

FInally though, the 3 original start Pokemon can get their revenge on that glory-hog spotlight stealing ******* Pikachu :)

MysticKenji

Smash Master
These are just guesses

SQUIRTLE
Pros: Fast, Good Aerial Game, Small
Cons: Light, Bad Grabs+Throws

CHARIZARD
Pros: Gliding, Heavy, Powerful
Cons: SLOW, Stubby Arms = Bad Range?

IVYSAUR
Pros: Grabs, Anti-Air B-move, Tether Recovery
Cons: NO aerial game, Bad jumps?

Overall
Pro: IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!!!
Con: The stamina thing.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
Agree'd. I would use Squirtle.

Anyway a pro is that PT's 3 in one package makes him insanley balenced.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Squirtle: Probably weak but fast attacks that can be used to build quick damage but will probably lack an effective killing move. Light weight and somewhat floaty. Small size makes it hard to hit and combo.

Ivysaur: Mid damage, medium speed, anti-air attacks and poor ground game. Average weight and fall speed.

Charizard: Heavy damage, but slow and large and easy target to hit and combo. Heavy weight and fast faller. Probably best recovery of the three.

Stamina will probably be the most interesting mechanic in the game.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
i wonder how it's going to effect you when you try to switch too fast.
isn't that a factor too? all i know is that you can't keep one on the stage for too long.

Eagle

Smash Lord
It's good with the stamina thing.. without it people would just main 1 of the characters like the Shiek thing.

STEREO_226

Smash Apprentice
The Pokemon Trainer is something brand new to us like IC's where in SSBM and i love it. Pokemon Trainer is my favorite newcomer right now. He has been ever since he was announced, and as far as the stanima makes sense, i mean, think about it. There's 3 pokemon to use, when you switch your opponent has to think of new strategies when you switch pokemon! I'm sure there are a few different things u could do with each pokemon, so that makes it even harder for them. the stanima thing is to even things out i think.

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
i think a possible pro/con will be the switching speed between pokemon. If its fast enough, we could see combos stretch all 3 pokemon, but if its slow like zelda/shiek then that's not an option.

Raikage

Smash Apprentice
I think the most obvious pro would be the versatility of the character. I mean it's really like 3 characters in one. I'd imagine you'd have a speedy one, an average one and a powerful one. Stamina might be a con if you're forced to switch out to a Pokemon who isn't as good in a particular situation or against a particular character, but it's kinda nice how it gives you incentive to keep switching throughout the match to avoid a Zelda/Shiek scenario where people end up only using one.

Oh and his uniqueness is a definite pro! People will still be playing Pokemon Trainer way after people get bored of other characters I think.

Oh and I think Squirtle will be the average one (He can't be fast, he's a turtle!), Ivy will be the speedy one and Charizard will pack all the K.O power. Charizard might also be the choice to recover with seeing as how he has gliding ability, but that depends on whether you can switch in midair, it would look kinda weird wouldn't it? Throwing the pokeball out into nothingness :p

katanagash

Smash Apprentice
This is basically a new Zelda/Sheik thing except the stamina makes it even harder. I'm sure that there will be people who stick with one pokemon and master their abilities. If there is anybody out there who can master all three of the pokemon and use them all in every battle, then you are my hero.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Stamina= :(
Squirtle-most likely the fastest, but the weakest and lightest
Ivysaur-average speed, power, and weight
Charizard-powerful, heavy, and probably slow (although in the games its speed is pretty decent)

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle will prolly focus in speed and Charizard's focus will be power.
As for Ivysaur, I think it'll focus on long range. I can't see it using any of its limbs for attacking so I'm expecting some decently ranged tilts/smashes involving its vines. I´m also pretty sure it's side-B will bo razor leaf or something similar.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
I think you guys are also forgetting that Ivysaur seems more of a mid-to-long-range character. Think about it. IV uses Vine Whip and Bullet Seed. The fact that it's a quadruped means that it can only tackle things as far as it's body is concerned. It has to use it's whips or other parts of it's body.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One obvious con is the stamina system. If you keep your Pokemon out in battle for too long, it'll get to a point where it can't use ANY attacks at all.

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
Well squirtle looks like he can rack up damage
Ivysaur looks like he'll have projectile power
Charizard looks like he'll have KO'ing moves

The great thing about PT is he can switch pokemon to make
the best out of any scenario.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Well squirtle looks like he can rack up damage
Ivysaur looks like he'll have projectile power
Charizard looks like he'll have KO'ing moves

The great thing about PT is he can switch pokemon to make
the best out of any scenario.
Thats why i like Pokemon trainer.:chuckle:

paralasalud

Smash Ace
i'm wondering if the change can be canceled like zelda/shiek. you know, a quick jab between changes. i'm guessing in logical terms you can't, and that would be a pro.

Zallipus

Smash Cadet
I wonder if the stamina system will work where you'll be forced to switch your Pokemon or not. It'll be interesting to see it play out. At any rate, while I'll focus most of my ability on Squirtle, I'm going to be sure to do well on all three Pokemon. ^_^

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I kinda think that each Pokemon will have an advantage

Squirtle: Speed.
Ivysaur: Anti-Air (think about it: the bullet seed going straight up, the Vine Whip that goes upward...)
Charizard: Power (and the fact it can glide)

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
Stamina isn't worth **** if you give it your all and focus on not just one, but all of the pokemons.
If you learn how to keep each pokemons time in the playing field balanced, then stamina really
shouldn't be a problem for you...

Black/Light

Smash Master
Stamina isn't worth **** if you give it your all and focus on not just one, but all of the pokemons.
If you learn how to keep each pokemons time in the playing field balanced, then stamina really
shouldn't be a problem for you...
Hummm, I have to say that I argee with you. The WHOLE idea here is to be a good trainer and a GOOD trainer gives it their all and doesn't focus on just one pokemon. . . they focus on the team, giving everyone their fair amount of time and using they for the right enemies.

Stamina will only be a problem if you don't pay attention to how long your pokemon have been fighting or try to focus on just one (Or even if you change them too often).

EPX2

Smash Ace
Stamina is a definite con.

What's the point of having Charizard as an option when you can't always be Charizard? D:<
That's the point... Sakurai doesn't want PT to be another Zelda/Sheik, where most players focus only on one Pokemon. He wants us to learn how to use all three.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Stamina itself will be a problem if only of them is good. Thus, you can't keep who you want out to long or else you'll get punished. If two are good, then it's alright, as you can just change quickly. You're only panelized if you switch to much, and two quick changes shouldn't be a problem. If all three are good, then there should be no problem at all, right? (And if none of them are good, then it's not a problem of stamina any more, now is it...)

squiser

Smash Apprentice
Do we have any idea how long the switch will take? PT is gonna be so disadvantaged if the switch takes as long as the Zelda/Shiek transformation. Or it'd be nice if the pokemon out could still attack while the next pokeball is being thrown.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
Since the character is named Pokemon Trainer, you play like the Pokemon Trainer does, i.e., switching out between monsters to keep them alive and freshen your strategy.

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle: Feels like Pikachu, with moves like Bowser's.
Ivysaur: Heavy Pikachu (Trust me, it's a coincidence that they all are similar to Pikachu. He's the only one besides Pichu that moves like they (probably) will)
Charizard: Flying Bowser. 'Nuff said.

Weird. They're all a mix of Pikachu and Bowser...

Top Bottom