• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project: SAVE THE SEA!! Brawl Tournament ~ October 9 in New Iberia, LA

Curlz

Smash Lord

Project: SAVE THE SEA! Brawl Tournament

Since Lafayette has a betting/gambling law that won't let us put money into a pot for cash prizes in a tournament we kind of had a lull in our tournaments. But I found a venue in New Iberia, Louisiana that is more than happy to hold a tournament. The venue is a concert hall called The Underground Sea and I thank them ahead of time for letting us use the venue.

This is also kind of doubling as a fund raiser. Bands have been canceling on them with too short of notice for them to find replacements so they've had to cancel shows altogether. So all venue fees will be going to keep The Underground Sea up and running and to keep our local music scene alive.

Tournament Organizers

Curlz

Sudai
Vaughn
JNig

VOLUNTEERS/HELPERS ARE WELCOME

Dates/ Schedule:

October 9, 2009
4:00: Doors open for Setting up/Friendlies
4:30: Sign Ups Begin
5:30-6:00: Tournament Starts

Must be packed and out of the Venue by 12:00am!

Since the tournament is starting so early I will be lenient for OoT people being late. If the tournament has started when you arrive I will try to seed you the best I can into the bracket.

2 Melee setups will be there for friendlies.

Fees:

-Venue fee = $5 (waived if you bring a COMPLETE [TV/Wii/Brawl] setup.)

You pay as soon as you walk in the venue. They'll give you a wristband and that'll be your ticket inside.

-Brawl Singles = $5
-Brawl Teams = $5 a person/ $10 a team
-Both members of a team MUST register [pay] at the same time!
-NO refunds on entry fees. Don't register if you don't want to enter.
-55/25/15/5 cash split; 100% of entry fees will go into the pot.

Venue information:

Here is my cell phone number if you have any questions:
(337) 278 8137

600 South Lewis Street
New Iberia, LA

Exit Lewis Street off Highway 90, they're 2.3 mile past the Burger King

Its the small building on the left with the Graffiti Art on the front saying "The Underground Sea"

There is not much room for parking at the Venue, but the Centre Court Plaza is allowing us to park there while we're at the tournament so please be respectful as they don't need to do that.

The venue sells drinks there such as Monster, Gatorade, Vitamin Water, and Various Sodas. There is also a SubWay in the Centre Court Plaza that's within walking distance of the venue. If you get hungry you can just walk there.

General Info:

-No drugs, alcohol, or smoking inside the building.
-No fighting, but I don't think we have to worry about that.
-Please throw away your trash.
-As organizer, I reserve the right to modify or change rules in order to accommodate the tournament's needs. I will notify players accordingly should a change be made on the day of the tournament.
-Similarly, as an organizer, I want this to be the best tournament possible. If you think something could be better, tell me how. We'll go from there.
-Singles will consist of seeded a seeded double-elimination bracket based on my knowledge.
-Teams will consist of a seeded (to the extent teams can be seeded) double-elimination bracket.

Rules:

KNOW THESE! I will hold every player responsible for knowing the rules. If you play a game on a stage you didn't know was banned, TOO BAD. No matches will be replayed due to ignorance of the rules.

Know the rules.

-3 stock; 8:00 (Ties broken by stock then percent. 1 stock rematch if even % and stock.)
-Team attack on
-no items
-best 2/3, Winner's, Loser's, and Grand Finals are 3/5
-Bring your own controller
-advanced slob picks
-Stage striking for first pick (players may agree on a stage or random)
-Stage bans: each player may ban one stage after stage striking occurs
-Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: a player/ team may not pick a stage that he won on previously in the set
-For Ganoncide and Bowsercide, it will always count as a win for the player who initiated the attack. For everyone else, the results screen is how the win will be decided. Sudden Death means the person who initiated the suicide move gets the win.
-Team Color Rule-If a team has Lucario or Sonic on it, they must be blue.
-Team ports will be 1221. Play R-P-S or flip a coin to decide if there is a disagreement.
-We'll call your match at least 3 times. If you haven't show within 5, maybe 10 minutes, you lose.
-No infinities past 300%.
-Meta Knight's Infinite Dimensional Cape and Extended Dimensional Cape are banned.
-Meta Knight's Street Sharking glitch is banned.

No Excessive stalling. End infinites no later than 300%. The Infinite dimensional cape and extended dimensional cape are banned.

HACKS:

Do not load ANY Brawl hacks unless you clear it with me first. The only hacks I will allow are custom music, infinite replays, and tags in replays. Nothing else unless you hear it from me first.

STAGE STRIKING:

We will use STAGE STRIKING to start the set. NOT RANDOM (unless both players agree). Basically, Player A chooses one stage from the Starter list that he doesn't want to play. Player B picks a stage he doesn't want from the remaining list. Players A & B alternate until only one stage is left. This is the stage for the first match.

ADVANCED SLOB PICKS

Game 1 is played by Stage Striking to pick a stage and then both players/teams pick their characters simultaneously.

When Game 1 is finished then starts Game 2 and the counterpick system. The winner of Game 1 bans a stage then the loser of Game 1 picks the next stage for Game 2. The winner of Game 1 then picks his/her character and then the loser of Game 1 picks his/her character. Game 2 then begins.

The process for Game 3 is the same if the match gets to it.

Stage List
------------
Starter:
Lylat, Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's

Counterpick:

Halberd, Brinstar, Delfino, Frigate, Rainbow Cruise, Pokemon Stadium 2, Pictochat, Norfair, Jungle Japes, Pirate Ship, Castle Seige, Pokemon Stadium 1, Corneria (TEAMS ONLY)

Banned:
The rest

Equipment:

Curlz: 2 TVs, 3 Wii/Brawl
RickyB: 1 TV, 1 Wii/Brawl
Vaughn: 1 TV, 1 Wii/Brawl
Randall: 2 TVs, 1 Wii/Brawl

Setups: 6
TVs: 6
Wii/Brawl: 6
Melee: 1

Headcount:

Curlz
ISBS (?)
Sudai
RickyB
Roni
JNig
ChKn
Mychal
Vaughn
Lee Martin
Randall
Arcadia
Hyro
Ran
Batto
NiTEZ​

'V'

Smash Lord
Give people time for providing setups and such. I'm sure quite a few people in our thread don't even know about it yet because they're not reading it.

Curlz

Smash Lord
Sudai: Sorry but no. I might be able to bring and extra TV to provide that as a full setup for you, but I have no promises.

Vaughn: Yeah, I'm aware. Its just to get attention. :]

Jio: The place is maybe the size of GWare without all the game racks. I'm not sure where we're gonna be playing in the building exactly since I've never been to a tournament there, but I know there's alot of room to hang out. If it gets massive that would be great. I'm hoping to get ALOT of locals out.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
The ONLY gripe I have is that you want to do BOTH doubles and singles in the span of 5 hours, with a decent turnout. Good luck, unless you can start earlier.

I have Fall Break for that weekend, so I should be able to come. Great idea to use venue fees as a fundraiser.

Curlz

Smash Lord
The ONLY gripe I have is that you want to do BOTH doubles and singles in the span of 5 hours, with a decent turnout. Good luck, unless you can start earlier.

I have Fall Break for that weekend, so I should be able to come. Great idea to use venue fees as a fundraiser.
Doubles is the main attraction around here so its kind of a mandatory thing. Most people would prefer Doubles > Singles because they find it more fun and that's more of what I want for the locals around here. No one here expects to win over the OoT people in singles so they practice for doubles more.

ChKn

Smash Ace
I prefer Singles, but that's just me.

I'm down for the tournament.

I'll let you know if I can get a TV setup.

Curlz

Smash Lord
JNig: No, it is the 9th. I don't know why I put that it was the third. Serious Typo. Thank you for catching it because I never would have noticed.

Flounda: Awesome. A setup would be real nice. :]

Curlz

Smash Lord
Curlz, they should know that if they can't win singles, they won't win doubles. Oh, also tell them I'll MM them 2v1. :]
I know I can never win, but I still enter anyway. They have more fun in doubles which is why more play.

You vs Oatherkeeper and Me. $5

Curlz

Smash Lord
make it $10 $5 for each of you, $10 total from me and I'll do it. normal team rules aside from the fact that I won't have a partner?
Oh ****! Lol. I wasn't being serious. xD
I'll talk to Oath about it. I don't know if he'll be going though.

If not for this tourny, maybe at LasT. :]

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Yo Curlz, I got alot of spare time tonight. Would you like me to make you a flier for your tounament and make a siggy complimenting the poster like I did for Voodoo Smash or do you just want a siggy?

Curlz

Smash Lord
Yo Curlz, I got alot of spare time tonight. Would you like me to make you a flier for your tounament and make a siggy complimenting the poster like I did for Voodoo Smash or do you just want a siggy?
A sig would be good. The Underground Sea makes fliers for every event they do so I should have one up either tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks though.

ChKn

Smash Ace
IDK if you're gonna get OOS people for a 5-6 hour tournament. You'd have time for like singles pending on setups.

Curlz

Smash Lord
I'm hoping to get 6-8 setups. We need alot if we want both doubles and singles. I'm just worried about the losers bract taking forever like the laffy PnT.

Curlz

Smash Lord
We won't have singles and teams within 5 hours if we have more than 20 people.
I want to get both doubles and singles in, so what do you recommend? I could talk to Josh to open earlier. How much earlier do you think I should have them open? I can't make it any later because the kids that go might have to leave before the tournament is over (like at PnT).

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Someone call up Reflex. I want him here.
I talked to Reflex. He said he would see what he can do. He just asked for dates and I gave it to him so he'll have them. I'm not entirely sure what he's going to come for but regardless he might come to LA for one of the events (excluding mine because of the GA Halloween Bash on that day)

Curlz

Smash Lord
Awesome, thank you Bomber. You're a real big help. :]

I'm hoping Reflex would help others to come. I want a big turnout for this. HUGE!

IShouldBeStudying

Smash Apprentice
so it's 10 dollars total to play in brawl singles? (5 dollar wristband/entry fee + 5 dollars brawl singles fee)?

Sudai

Stuff here
I want to get both doubles and singles in, so what do you recommend? I could talk to Josh to open earlier. How much earlier do you think I should have them open? I can't make it any later because the kids that go might have to leave before the tournament is over (like at PnT).
If you want the best tourney order/time setting, I'd go with doubles first as people will be eliminated from doubles faster than singles. After a bit into the doubles bracket, you can start the singles bracket, just skipping over people still in teams when possible. It'll be a bit faster over all, but is more of a pain to enter.

As for time, any extra time on the front end helps since you don't want to add time on the tail end. How much earlier you should start really depends on the expected participants.

Oh, and if I were you, I wouldn't be trying to get OoS to come to this. Honestly, I'd prefer if they don't. You have very little tourney hosting experience and it is very important to have good hosting experience before trying to draw large crowds. Running a tourney efficiently is hard, especially if you're trying to get doubles and singles on such a small time constraint. If you want both done within 7 hours or so, no OoS is the best idea. I promise. Not trying to flame or troll, just don't want you getting in over your head.

Curlz

Smash Lord
You're not being a troll, its probably true. I was just hoping that if I got some OoS people to come it would help the turnout for LA people to want to come. I want a really big turnout for this (I know I've said that many times) so we're able to have it there again and keep the place open.

I'll talk to Josh to see if he can open the doors at 3.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
You're not being a troll, its probably true. I was just hoping that if I got some OoS people to come it would help the turnout for LA people to want to come. I want a really big turnout for this (I know I've said that many times) so we're able to have it there again and keep the place open.

I'll talk to Josh to see if he can open the doors at 3.
he's got a very excellent point. I'm not expecting a large turnout for my tourny though what do you think Sudai, hat's a good starting size? 25-30 people?

anyway, I'm fortunate that Vaughn is going to help me out, all I really need help with is skill level for people because I want as much of a balanced bracket as possible.

Curlz

Smash Lord
If I do end up with a big turnout will someone who's coming be able to help me out?

Randall, Ran, Vaughn, Sudai?

Sudai

Stuff here
If I'm there, I'll prolly help if you ask, but the biggest issue with a big turn out is that even if you have someone experienced running it, you're gonna need a decent amount of time. 6-8 set-ups won't cut it if you're looking to run it in 7ish hours with more than 35 people.

Curlz

Smash Lord
If I'm there, I'll prolly help if you ask, but the biggest issue with a big turn out is that even if you have someone experienced running it, you're gonna need a decent amount of time. 6-8 set-ups won't cut it if you're looking to run it in 7ish hours with more than 35 people.
Is that assuming we play both Doubles and Singles or Singles only?

Because if need be, I'll make it Singles only.

Curlz

Smash Lord
Ok. Well, I'll see how the turnout is. When you get there, let me know what you think I should do. It would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom