• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Proposal: We can make custom moves fast, easy, and legal

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
It only takes one willing individual per tournament location to get them to make this project doable. Or, someone willing to powersave them all into the 3DS version.

Much as I'd love a quicker way to get customs, we gotta work with what we've got.
Totally agree. I hope it wasn't wrong of me to purchase some neat trophies for the person. They actually got a Barbara (Rayman Legends) trophy- one that I really want :(

By the way, is part of the proposal to unlock things on 3DS and have the player have the option to use their 3DS to link to the Wii U and use their custom set?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Totally agree. I hope it wasn't wrong of me to purchase some neat trophies for the person. They actually got a Barbara (Rayman Legends) trophy- one that I really want :(

By the way, is part of the proposal to unlock things on 3DS and have the player have the option to use their 3DS to link to the Wii U and use their custom set?
That is the goal, yes. It takes a while, but if you just powersave the 3DS to unlock them all (or get 'em manually), you can copy the setups (which are listed in another thread here) to each necessary Wii U. The only drawback to not having them unlocked locally is that any user who wants a unique setup (for which there are at least 2 and potentially 4 slots) will have to copy them from another 3DS, either their own or the original, which will add to the setup time for their match. Of course, with the project, the goal is to find the setups that the majority of players use. Plus, as (or maybe if would be a better term) customs see more widespread use, people will figure out more decisively what works better, and it's likely that we'd end up with 1-3 sets that cover 90+% of the players of a given character.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
My friend got all the customs by pseudo-idling smash tour over the weekend. He just used the gamepad to check on it while he watched netflix on the tv. Technically not as fast as other methods, but you can do it for way longer since it's such little effort investment.

I think that'll probably be how people do it.

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
It would be pretty nice if we had a guide on how to unlock custom moves on both the Wii U and 3DS versions in case people want to experiment with the moves but don't have access to the transfer method. I personally just got all the custom moves on both versions using mainly Smash Run on the 3DS and Crazy Orders on the Wii U, but it still took a frustrating amount of time, and many of the tips I did find to get them weren't easily accessible. A guide could inspire players to finish up their collection if it was clear and informative.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
To put a little perspective on things, I have over 49 hours into single player game modes (3DS), and I've cleared Classic 9.0 at least once with every character while abusing the home button trick. These are the customs I'm missing still:

Yoshi
downB 2
downB 3

Mr. Game & Watch
sideB 3
upB 3

Diddy Kong
downB 3

Link
upB 3
downB 3

Zelda
neutralB 2
neutralB 3
sideB 2
downB 2
downB 3

Zero Suit Samus
neutralB 3
sideB 2

Pit
neutralB 2

Marth
neutralB 3
sideB 2
sideB 3

Kirby
upB 2

Little Mac
sideB 2

Falco
upB 2

Pikachu
sideB 3
upB 3

R.O.B.
neutralB 2
downB 3

Ness
sideB 3

Olimar
downB 3

Dr. Mario
upB 3

Dark Pit
sideB 2
sideB 3
downB 2
downB 3

Shulk
downB 2

Pac-Man
upB 3

Sonic
neutralB 3
Some of the characters I'm missing customs for still are characters I've put a lot of playtime into; Dr. Mario is likely my 5th most played character in Classic, and I've cleared four times with Marth as well. For most of the cast though, I think it took four Classic runs at most to unlock their customs.

I've tried other game modes, and I feel pretty confident in saying that Classic is the best option on 3DS, due mostly to the home button trick to guarantee equipment from each stage and the fact that drops are biased toward the character you're playing as, if you're looking for a specific character's customs. Trophy Rush is "okay", but I largely had the luck to just get repeat Captain Falcon customs most of the time regardless of who I used for it (Mega Man Air Shooter spam is the best, imo) and it didn't seem to get me equipment any faster than Classic did. Smash Run felt even slower than both. If you want all customs fast on 3DS though, I think using a Powersave is really your best bet.

For what it's worth, if you aren't looking for a specific character's customs you can play Classic as a Mii. 1122 Brawler works quite well for blazing through Classic, from my experiences.

I don't have the Wii U version, but the Smash Tour idling method sounds promising, and I've heard Palutena destroys Wii U Trophy Rush since it allows custom usage (Heavenly Light) so that may or may not be useful for quickly unlocking things as well.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
@ Lavani Lavani make sure to check your challenges, some of them offer customs as a reward that can't be found through random drops. (Well, until you get the reward. Then it starts dropping. Thanks Sakurai. \s) Dashing Assault (Marth Neutral 3) is one of them, I believe.

Have you tried Crazy Orders?

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
@ Lavani Lavani make sure to check your challenges, some of them offer customs as a reward that can't be found through random drops. (Well, until you get the reward. Then it starts dropping. Thanks Sakurai. \s) Dashing Assault (Marth Neutral 3) is one of them, I believe.

Have you tried Crazy Orders?
I completely forgot about certain customs being tied to challenges, haha. Thanks for the reminder.

Like I said, I only have 3DS, so I have no input on Crazy Orders.

EDIT: Looks like Marth's sideB 2 is the only challenge custom I'm lacking, actually. Oh well, it's something.

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
google 100 turns crazy orders and with that you can get in 1 day all the custom moves and possible equipment
I personally don't use custom moves because my mains don't benefit from them but I think they should be legal and if one of them ends up being too good just ban them like any ilegal stage.

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
I basically used bat equipment and temporary invincibility effects to secure ridiculous rewards in crazy orders, grind that a couple times and you should have the majority of the moves. I like the game SO much better with custom moves, its not even funny (well, SS palu is hilariously terrifying).

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I barely get any customs from Crazy Orders (Or Master Orders, for that matter).

I still feel like All-Star is the best method, mostly because it has a much stronger bias towards giving you customs for the character you're using.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Yeah, I might be crazy, but when I was down to just 2 custom moves left, I tried Crazy Orders. I went like 50 rounds and got zero custom moves. No idea.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Yeah, I might be crazy, but when I was down to just 2 custom moves left, I tried Crazy Orders. I went like 50 rounds and got zero custom moves. No idea.
For bulk unlocks, Crazy Orders and Classic/Allstar are fine. For finishing each character, I prefer Trophy Rush. It's very rare that I don't finish the character within a few tries.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
So I actually got all the moves unlocked finally, now how do I convince my area to try them in tourney? I seem to be literally the ONLY person in my area interested in customs(except for AA himself).

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
So I actually got all the moves unlocked finally, now how do I convince my area to try them in tourney? I seem to be literally the ONLY person in my area interested in customs(except for AA himself).
Are you local to the KC area? Lux has them legal at his events, including a tournament this Saturday. The support exists.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
BHF plays at the Junior Varsity Smash 4 tournaments at the VIOF events for KCMO. His Sheik is pretty spiffy too, it's a shame he doesn't come out and compete in the big leagues haha

Trash talk banter aside, I don't forsee that area using customs tbh
They are pretty jaded in how they see the game and the effort / time / equipment they want to / can dedicate to smash for wii U. Running customs is quite a bit of effort if people actually commit to using them.

Last edited:

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
doesn't your data save on your NNID? or is that just on your NNID on the console?
if it is just NNID, make an account for tourneys and unlock everything.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Are you local to the KC area? Lux has them legal at his events, including a tournament this Saturday. The support exists.
Yes, I'm in the KC area(in fact I believe you spoke to me about this whole idea shortly before this thread was actually made), but I can only make it out to the monthly DIOD's due to distance/work/school.

Also, by this Saturday, are you meaning tomorrow, or next week(the 31st)?
BHF plays at the Junior Varsity Smash 4 tournaments at the VIOF events for KCMO. His Sheik is pretty spiffy too, it's a shame he doesn't come out and compete in the big leagues haha
Trust me, I want to come out to bigger stuff than just DIOD(and the smaller stuff, too), it's just difficult for me to make those kind of arrangements.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Yes, I'm in the KC area(in fact I believe you spoke to me about this whole idea shortly before this thread was actually made), but I can only make it out to the monthly DIOD's due to distance/work/school.

Also, by this Saturday, are you meaning tomorrow, or next week(the 31st)?

Trust me, I want to come out to bigger stuff than just DIOD(and the smaller stuff, too), it's just difficult for me to make those kind of arrangements.
It's tomorrow, but I think it's already capped. Lux has this weird thing with pre-regs and caps, something about not wanting 50 people showing up to his apartment unannounced and making tournaments run to 4 AM. I dunno why not; isn't that half the fun? I do believe someone is hosting a smashfest actually within the city on the 31st though, still not sure if I'm going to make it out or not but kinda leaning toward making it (I'm not going to APEX, but since it's the same weekend, it's not like anyone is going to be running tournaments).

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
It's tomorrow, but I think it's already capped. Lux has this weird thing with pre-regs and caps, something about not wanting 50 people showing up to his apartment unannounced and making tournaments run to 4 AM. I dunno why not; isn't that half the fun? I do believe someone is hosting a smashfest actually within the city on the 31st though, still not sure if I'm going to make it out or not but kinda leaning toward making it (I'm not going to APEX, but since it's the same weekend, it's not like anyone is going to be running tournaments).
Ah, okay. I know about the one on the 31st, but i can't make that anyways due to a band convention that week that I have to be at.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
If BHF wanted to test himself at the stock market I'd make an exception, just PM me on FB

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
You and AA seem to have it well in hand, but maybe consider contacting the TO(s) and offering to let them use your (fully unlocked) setup for the next event you're capable of attending?

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I vote for customs being legal. I enjoy the game a lot more with them and I much rather deal with DK Up B then Ness or Luigi.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I vote for customs being legal. I enjoy the game a lot more with them and I much rather deal with DK Up B then Ness or Luigi.
This thread and concept became the official standard Custom moveset project. Its thread is stickied in this board. It is better to discuss their.

Top Bottom