• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M: The Underused Techniques You're Probably Not Using

XerotheInfinite

Smash Rookie
NNID
XerotheInfinite
3DS FC
3780-9220-2814
Most of these techniques are probably something nobody uses because it's either hard to do or maybe it's not need at most times, but they seem pretty cool!

Most of these techniques are probably something nobody uses because it's either hard to do or maybe it's not need at most times, but they seem pretty cool!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
This are extreme skills that people are not talking about, and b-pivoting can be the reason why snake is one of the highest tier characters.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Footstool jumps on a grounded character beats both shields and crouch cancelling. It's good.

By the way, your definition of instant tossing is wrong. It's traditionally done by doing an airdodge to catch the item, and cancelling that airdodge with an item toss. This makes you air glide toss an item you're not holding at the beginning of the technique, basically. Using Z to catch it means you keep your momentum, and can delay the toss as long as you wish. But it's the variant, not the actual technique.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Footstool jumps on a grounded character beats both shields and crouch cancelling. It's good.

By the way, your definition of instant tossing is wrong. It's traditionally done by doing an airdodge to catch the item, and cancelling that airdodge with an item toss. This makes you air glide toss an item you're not holding at the beginning of the technique, basically. Using Z to catch it means you keep your momentum, and can delay the toss as long as you wish. But it's the variant, not the actual technique.
Perhaps my wording is off, but this is what I meant. I was referring to the idea that in Melee you have to press Z to catch an item mid-air before tossing it whereas in PM you just perform a AGT (airdodge + analog stick + c-stick) into the banana.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Reverse B-Reversals are also possible by combining the Reverse Neutral B (Present since melee) with a B-Reversal. It causes momentum to reverse while doing the attack forward.

Thanks to interpolation, this gives several moves tremendously higher priority. In particular, Charizard's Neutral and Side Bs can launch him nearly across smash ville backwards, and his aerial down B can both B-Reversed and Reverse B'd on it's initial start up AND its ending. The end result, done quickly enough, is Charizard gliding backwards for a short burst.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Perhaps my wording is off, but this is what I meant. I was referring to the idea that in Melee you have to press Z to catch an item mid-air before tossing it whereas in PM you just perform a AGT (airdodge + analog stick + c-stick) into the banana.
Oh, perhaps I misread then. Does being French count as a john ? :V

arodbaybee

Smash Rookie
Cool article. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to brush up on some of these techniques.

Cpt.Love

Smash Cadet
this guy showed me that trick where you turn around really fast when you hold a, walk in a direction and tilt the c stick at a 45 degree upward angle to turn around, i had the idea of doing the same thing while moonwalking = perfect moonwalks... I was like "Aight, this game is for reals"

MrBoiNK

Smash Rookie
You did not mention an important use for footstooling that is used very often in high level brawl play.

In a situation in which you're out of jumps, need to land on the stage, and your opponent is waiting to punish your landing, you can footstool them for an additional jump.

Pretty sure I saw Omni refer to recovery there. You might wanna read stuff word by word.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
I thought all of these were pretty standard as far as PM techs go. I was hoping there would be something I wasn't already using regularly :\

Royaxe

Smash Rookie
I thought i was the only one who considered footstooling a viable option, i set my side taunt to Y so i can foot stool and quickly change to samus' ice beam

Hiro of Time

Smash Rookie
Actually, foot stooling is easier to do in Brawl and still nobody utilized it. I personally liked using foot stools when edge guarding, but I don't see PM players using foot stools at all if the majority Brawl players didn't bother to.

Last edited:

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
I thought i was the only one who considered footstooling a viable option, i set my side taunt to Y so i can foot stool and quickly change to samus' ice beam
Yup that's what I do!

Top Bottom