• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalued

Smash Lord
So I went ahead and changed my character select screen portraits to the one SJS has been making
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=8348.0

If anyone wants the download, just replace your common5.pac (in your system folder) file with this one
http://www.mediafire.com/?rqyop5cp9sot8bp

I made sure to match lucario, sonic and charizard with their appropriate re-colors. (although I think the green sonic has different colored shoes, but its not really noticeable unless you look for it)
Do you have portraits for them as well? Its all in png format, but for portraits i need brres format

Ecks

Smash Lord
SJS' stuff? Oh great, now my CSP can be as aliased as the in game models! Do want! :troll:

Do you have portraits for them as well? Its all in png format, but for portraits i need brres format
You mean the in battle portraits? You can find those here (it may take a while to load the mediafire page as there are a bunch of files. Just wait a bit.) You can then (very, very easily) add the pngs to those files with brawlbox.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
It was stupidly miniscule at first...and plenty of people still thoroughly enjoy P:M anyway, which they should...
but the 1-frame delay on anything involving physics and movement is driving me mad. Silly, maybe, but it's legitimately haunting me at this point.

I can't help but ask more about this. Has the delay been around since the beginning of development? Is there anything else y'all have to say about it?

cmart

Smash Lord
Once side-b and down-b hits the ground, they are basically the same move. The only differences is how it starts/charges, how much damage it does and how they act in the air at the start.

Side b can no longer be charged but if you press b quickly enough like a hot potato, instead of hopping it does an instant spin dash which is faster then downb but wont do as much damage. The hops height depends on how long you press b when you first do it on the ground. In the air, the hop has the same height all the time. With the starting hopping part, it has little knock back that can lead to a back air or footstool or something like that depending on how much % opponent has and your position. In brawl, the start of the hop had some invincibility frames to break through some attacks. Im not sure if this is still there.
Some clarifications on the parts I bolded:
When you land from an aerial down B - you can cancel the landing with shield. You cannot do this with side B.
You can in fact control your hop height of an aerial side B, to the point where you don't get much if any hop at all. The inputs are the same as grounded side B.
Finally, side B retains about six frames of invincibility from vbrawl. If you look carefully, there's an additional graphic effect surrounding sonic when he's invincible.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It was stupidly miniscule at first...and plenty of people still thoroughly enjoy P:M anyway, which they should...
but the 1-frame delay on anything involving physics and movement is driving me mad. Silly, maybe, but it's legitimately haunting me at this point.

I can't help but ask more about this. Has the delay been around since the beginning of development? Is there anything else y'all have to say about it?
It's been around since forever.

It will be hard to fix.

iLink

Smash Champion
Did you change all the characters?
Yes. I haven't gotten around to doing the battle portraits however

In other news

D3's uair hits through the bottom of SV

Couch

Smash Cadet
Does anyone perhaps have some interesting tips for a wolf player? I'd like to get some tips on how to play him effectively

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Been having a weird thing happen with Sonic...sometimes whenever I overB in the air to recover, Sonic plummets (like goes so fast so low its as if I were using dair instead). No hop or anything, despite holding B. It seems like its happening whenever I get hit out of a grounded overB and then try to overB recover immediately after hitstun, but I dunno. Is this known/intended?

iLink

Smash Champion
Hm just replacing the common5 did the trick. Thanks a lot for your hard work. For battle portaits, do you alsochange them in common 5?
Nah that's going to take a little more time. Each individual color portrait is its own file and doesn't all go into a single file.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Has anyone considered simply combining down-B and side-B? It just seems unnecessary and a bit of a waste to have such similar moves... I haven't played enough to know when each is useful, but I am sure they could be combined in the same way Mario and Doc's fair were combined so that the uses of each can be maintained in a single move. If you combine spin dash into side-B, that opens up the team to make a new move for down-B.

Just from a bit of brainstorming, I think a great replacement could be the Bounce Bracelet from SA2:B. It'd be like a homing attack, but it'd activate immediately and only go straight down. Then from out of the vertical rebound, he could have the option to bounce again, aerial, homing attack, or air dodge (because it bounces so fast, it'd take good timing to be able to waveland after the bounce).

What do you guys think (Sonic fanboys and P:M devs alike)? :awesome:

cmart

Smash Lord
@ Bones0 - We DID combine the spindashes - we put a lot of Side B's old properties onto down B - and then took the remaining differences side B retained and used them to make it its own move.
On another note - you coming to Xanadu anytime? It'd be cool to sit down and talk Sonic: M with you.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
Some clarifications on the parts I bolded:
When you land from an aerial down B - you can cancel the landing with shield. You cannot do this with side B.
You can in fact control your hop height of an aerial side B, to the point where you don't get much if any hop at all. The inputs are the same as grounded side B.
Finally, side B retains about six frames of invincibility from vbrawl. If you look carefully, there's an additional graphic effect surrounding sonic when he's invincible.
Ah, thanks for the clarifications. I thought I mentioned the aerial downb shield cancel but I when goin over it again, looks like I didn't. As for that sideb plummet thing, I have experienced that too.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Spin Hop and Spin Dash merging has been discussed in our Sonic Thread that already has over 100 pages of discussion, the results you see in the demo.

It was observed that besides looking very similar at first glance, they have a number of characteristics that gives each its own uses and roles in sonic's gameplay.

As Cmart said, some characteristics were merged, with the remaining in sideB being its best characteristics adjusted and improved to make an unique move.

iLink

Smash Champion
I actually like the new sideb, I just miss being able to run into someone and hit with the sideb charge. You can do it with downb but sideb felt more natural and you could cross them up and face them at the same time.

Bones0

Smash Legend
@ Bones0 - We DID combine the spindashes - we put a lot of Side B's old properties onto down B - and then took the remaining differences side B retained and used them to make it its own move.
On another note - you coming to Xanadu anytime? It'd be cool to sit down and talk Sonic: M with you.
Yeah, I could tell they mixed them up. Like I said before, I think switching the spin dash that you can cancel with shield from side-B to down-B is a huge mistake that greatly reduces how flexible its uses are just because of the simple property of using the moves out of a dash. I will mess around with it more because it's entirely possible I just don't know how to use either move well enough to know why they're both needed.

As far as Xanadu, it's not likely. :c I would def be down to discuss Sonic some time though. I wish Smash Boards would add a Project: M sub-forum for character specific discussion or something, or maybe I will have to just start posting in the P:M's actual website forums. lol

Revven

FrankerZ
I wish Smash Boards would add a Project: M sub-forum for character specific discussion or something
In the past, there was a subforum called, "Character Specific Workshop" or something of the sort (I forget the full name right now). Back around when Brawl+ was being developed and what not. Eventually, as Brawl+ died so did this particular subforum so it got changed to be something else. It was meant for character discussion threads for the various different mods around at the time (Brawl+, Brawl-) but it had seldom use at a certain point. Mainly due to the decreasing popularity of the mods at the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the SWF admins were opposed to making a character specific subforum for Project M simply because of what happened above. Not only that, but every character would be relegated to a single thread, which is obviously not a good thing. There would definitely be enough players for it, it's just SWF probably wouldn't let it happen again.

Plus, they wouldn't be able to limit it only to Project M, unfortunately. We would have to put up with the other mods around and their character specific discussions. Overall, it would be a cluttered mess.

Now, if there were enough people to persuade the staff, maybe it would be possible to get PM its own character specific subforums. But the chances of that are highly unlikely anyway. Especially since the game is not in a finished state.

It's best just to use smashmods since we have a lot more control over the forums themselves as well as the threads. Plus, we're able to watch over the feedback and discussions better since it's "closer to home" so to speak. ;)

I understand though that people primarily want just ONE smash site for all their smash needs and that's why it's difficult to get people to join smashmods solely for Project M. But if you really want to see this mod go places and its metagame develop, you gotta get in on the discussions on our forums. :)

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think 1 thread is certainly sufficient for each character. Even for the Falco forums, the large majority of discussion is located in PP's thread, and it seems to be the most active character specific forum by far. Smash Boards just needs to give P:M its own forum, and bypassing the sub-forums, just have a single thread for each character. You could also have 1 or 2 extra threads for general discussion (stages, 1-p, etc.) and bug reporting.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think 1 thread is certainly sufficient for each character. Even for the Falco forums, the large majority of discussion is located in PP's thread, and it seems to be the most active character specific forum by far. Smash Boards just needs to give P:M its own forum, and bypassing the sub-forums, just have a single thread for each character. You could also have 1 or 2 extra threads for general discussion (stages, 1-p, etc.) and bug reporting.
While 1 thread for discussion is fine 10 years after the game's out, not so much when the metagame is just starting to develop.

To be honest I prefer character specific discussion to happen on Smashmods. The PMBR is much better equipped to handle things there; to accomplish the same, a lot of the PMBR would have to become moderators here on SWF.

D

Deleted member

has ike been changed since i last played this game in feb? that would change my opinions on him maybe.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah, I could tell they mixed them up. Like I said before, I think switching the spin dash that you can cancel with shield from side-B to down-B is a huge mistake that greatly reduces how flexible its uses are just because of the simple property of using the moves out of a dash. I will mess around with it more because it's entirely possible I just don't know how to use either move well enough to know why they're both needed.

As far as Xanadu, it's not likely. :c I would def be down to discuss Sonic some time though. I wish Smash Boards would add a Project: M sub-forum for character specific discussion or something, or maybe I will have to just start posting in the P:M's actual website forums. lol
Just use Smashmods. It's getting more active.

And you should come down to our place on Friday. It's only like 10 minutes farther than Xanadu, and other people are coming over.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
I do find Ike to be relatively fast for the power he packs. a lot of his strong moves come out rather quickly; uair/bair/f-tilt/ d-smash etc.

I wouldn't say he needs any changes right now, but rather just keep an eye on him. I feel like Ike, in the hands of good players could easily "wall of pain" leaving almost no room for punishment. Like I said tho, i don't think he should be changed. I wanna see how he does in tournaments. I believe his recovery shall be his downfall.

Edit: would just like to add, great job on all the character designs. Truly amazing how every single one feels completely viable. Characters that i've never even played before feel so fluent, and their movesets seem to just flow right. a.k.a I can combo so good wit everyone

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Everyone should try buffer at 10% to offset that 1 frame delay. I turned it to that tonight and it literally felt exactly like melee then. At least with ness it was better, and i could definatly tell the difference with ganondorf.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Everyone should try buffer at 10% to offset that 1 frame delay. I turned it to that tonight and it literally felt exactly like melee then. At least with ness it was better, and i could definatly tell the difference with ganondorf.
it's momentum delay, not button input delay. buffer doesn't make a difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom