• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLink

Smash Champion
Didn't neko hint at it being some sort of air dash thing?

The current sideb had a practical use to turn around mid air on the fly and be able to bair opponents, I was able to use it pretty often for gimping people off-stage. You could even use the hitbox on the charge of it to help you with that. If the new sideb actually moves him, that option will be entirely gone.

EDIT: Nvm, I remember the hienkyaku hint was directed at MK

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
FF9 for life.

Also anyone here ever play sky's of arcadia? That was a pretty awesome game.

Now for something on topic... zss is looking really fun, just got a question about how u r suppose to use her side b, it drags the person in so can u combo off of it? Also she has a move were she justs seems to stick her foot off opponent then they both bounce up a little. Was that her dair or her down b? And what can be done out of it?

:phone:

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
FF9 for life.

Also anyone here ever play sky's of arcadia? That was a pretty awesome game.

Now for something on topic... zss is looking really fun, just got a question about how u r suppose to use her side b, it drags the person in so can u combo off of it? Also she has a move were she justs seems to stick her foot off opponent then they both bounce up a little. Was that her dair or her down b? And what can be done out of it?

ZSS' sideB pulls people in so you combo people with it. SideB -> aerials and such.
That move would be her dair. She bounces off the foe and can act at the end of the hop, so you can do things like dair -> uair.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I watched a couple of matches of the stream yesterday and the zss there was ok, but he seemed to have a lot of trouble following up after a side b or a dair, so i was wondering if they were indeed meant to be comboed out of. Anyway mad hyped for zss really like how she looks atm and really hoping for her in demo 2

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
My ideas of what each characters weaknesses are (edit) in P:M

fox, wolf, - are combo bait, highest learning curve
falco - combo bait, highest learning curve, bad recovery
DDD - fat combo bait
bowser - slow moves, big (but this seems to help more than hurt) semi combo bait
Marth - effective at specific kill percents
Ike - no good out of sheild option
Peach - low ko power, highish learning curve
Iceclimbers - NaNa Ai
Zelda - predictable, slowish, light,
Sheik - low range?, light
wario - No pressure?
mario - ?
luigi - low traction (double edged sword) bad dash attack?
yoshi - no jump out of sheild?
pit, ZSS, squirtle, Pikachu, - light, moderate learning curve ?
sonic - low range (kinda negated by speed) and low priority moderate learning curve?
Samus - week against pressure?
Carizard- Big, semi combo bait?
Ivysaur - bad air game ?
lucario - difficult approach, whiff move endlag, high learning curve
Link - slowish, weak against pressure?
toon link - bad recovery, light
Donkey kong - recovery gimp, bad against pressure
Diddy kong - really bad recovery
Ganon - slowish , bad vs air juggles?
kirby, Metknight - low air speed, light,
ness - gimpable, no easy combos into finisher
lucas - gimpable,
Captain falcon - low priorty? really gimpable, low range? (but mobilty kind negates this), highish/moderate learning curve, semi combo bait
Olimar - (he's olimar) light, dependent on pikmin
Rob - low Ko power, his KO moves are difficult to hit or slow
G&W - very light
snake - slow, recovery gimpable, has to set the stage up for good KO's
Jigglypuff - very light,

Discuss

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Well, for one thing, Samus is most decidedly not weak to pressure. She and Bowser are easly the least weak to pressure characters in Melee. Both of them have high-priority DPs that force opponents to end their pressure strings earlier than normal, and expose themselves to other options that other characters don't really have the luxury of using.

Samus's weakness is a terrible air game, with terrible jump-in options, exacerbated by slow falling speed and not-much-faster fast falling speed. She also has no good option against juggling, and also dies quickly off the top. Instead, she has good defense, and a wealth of anti-air options, and a very strong ground game, as well as some of the strongest edgeguarding in the game.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
I haven't played new Luigi but in Melee i'd have a very easy time edge-guarding my friend's Luigi. So take what you will of it.

I actually hadn't heard of the storing a misfire.. how does that work?

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
Well, for one thing, Samus is most decidedly not weak to pressure. She and Bowser are easly the least weak to pressure characters in Melee. Both of them have high-priority DPs that force opponents to end their pressure strings earlier than normal, and expose themselves to other options that other characters don't really have the luxury of using.

Samus's weakness is a terrible air game, with terrible jump-in options, exacerbated by slow falling speed and not-much-faster fast falling speed. She also has no good option against juggling, and also dies quickly off the top. Instead, she has good defense, and a wealth of anti-air options, and a very strong ground game, as well as some of the strongest edgeguarding in the game.
Ah ok i wasn't thinking about her up b. also i decided not to consider slow fall speed a weakness on any fighter because falling speed is circumstancily good and bad depending on the fighters moves. Her fast fall however, yeah agree is a weekness.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
I haven't played new Luigi but in Melee i'd have a very easy time edge-guarding my friend's Luigi. So take what you will of it.

I actually hadn't heard of the storing a misfire.. how does that work?
Its still random but luigi glows green when the next side b will be a missfire. and i think its either 1/ 5 or 1/8 chance for a misfire now. (im pretty sure its 1/5)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Typically, a low falling speed is a weakness in some form or another. Even if it doesn't preclude a good jump-in (although it usually does), it almost always leads to a susceptibility to juggles.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Believe it or not, a high learning curve isn't a weakness. No matter how hard a character is to control, if once you can control them they're completely broken, that's a really stupid character.

iLink

Smash Champion
Samus still seems susceptible to pressure at close quarters. Her upb definitely has more risk then Bowser's since he can retreat while using it. You have a pretty lengthy time to punish samus for doing it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Only if you miss. And if you do, they get one hit because you're Samus.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
That move was terrible and should never be replicated. EVER.

Brawl Hamm3r > Melee Hamm3r
I would be inclined to agree with you if your post had anything resembling evidence, support, or reasoning, but I am instead inclined to disagree, because Melee's air hammer has a safer hitbox coverage and doesn't take 15000 frames to come out. Melee hammer with bad hit properties even at least had utility instead of being a slower, less useful bair. Kirby is like what, D tier in Brawl? E maybe even? He has some things better in Brawl but he's still really, really, bad. Instead of blindly using his Brawl build we should look at aspects good and bad from all his incarnations and make an actually decent, well rounded character.

RPG talk: Eternal Sonata's a pretty gg, and other better-than-Chrono games include Paper Mario 1, Earthbound, MOTHER3, Blue Dragon, all Shin Megami Tensei games barring that ****ty realtime game, and all Final Fantasies not 2, 7, 10, 11, or 12, including 10-2 which just has a bad story.

Character Weakness: Being comboed is not a weakness as much as being ABLE to combo is a strength. The only "weaknesses," in fact, that aren't negligible, are large cool down on moves, bad options against pressure, bad priority, and other things that prevent using moves safely. If you have a character with nothing but a single move that is impossible to punish, it will not matter if they die at 30%, have no recovery, are hard to use and get comboed infinitely because they simply DON'T GET HIT.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Chrono Trigger is incredible. Played it for the first time last year, and it blew my mind. The music, story, pacing, writing, characters, battle system... all top notch.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
FF10 and FF12 are my favorites. FF10-2 was ok but not for its story. i tried to get into ff7 but just cant bring myself to finish it. any 2d final fantasy i will never play.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Even getting close to Maximum human limit mash speed, the Mario Tornado still sucks.

Increasing how much distance you can gain from mashing EVEN A LITTLE could make a world of difference.

Vaerix

Smash Journeyman
You already can angle it far better than in Melee. While that's not an overtly significant change, it's still an improvement.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Samus still seems susceptible to pressure at close quarters. Her upb definitely has more risk then Bowser's since he can retreat while using it. You have a pretty lengthy time to punish samus for doing it.
Close quarters is where Screw Attack shines, though. And if your opponent is spacing their attacks or baiting DPs, you can WD oos to put the spacing in your advantage, and start up with Samus's footsie/poking game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom