• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Well, not having a Wii but having an emulator would mean you virtually "downloaded the console you do not own".

Having a rom without the game means you are stealing game property.

Even if you have the game and not the console, you should technically not have the means to play the game, and that means you stole their property rights by acquire the means to emulate it. It would only be right form a legal standpoint if you had both the console and the game.

So in a sense, if you are in the legality, it should not bother you too much if they don't release it for Dolphin. You would posess the means to play it.

I assume nothing, you are putting words in my mouth. Still, it is weird that you would complain so adamantly about it not being availiable for Dolphin IF you have the means to play it.

Starscream

Smash Ace
yeah, sails does have a point, why are you assuming someone doesnt have a wii but does have wii games?
Maybe they did have a Wii but it broke? Maybe they sold it because the Wii outputs **** image quality but still want to legally own the games? I know one of the first things I'm doing when I build my new PC is downloading Dolphin and I own both a Wii and several games.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Even if you have the game and not the console, you should technically not have the means to play the game, and that means you stole their property rights by acquire the means to emulate it. It would only be right form a legal standpoint if you had both the console and the game.
...It's not illegal to own a game without a console.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
...It's not illegal to own a game without a console.
You are twisting my words. It is illegal to emulate a console you don't have was merely my point.

Edit: It's kind of like if I sold my SNES and kept my emulator. Now, I'm not patronizing you, I do own illegal emulated games. But the PMBR members don't have to encourage it.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
It depends what country you're in. I don't know about europe, but I know that in the U.S., you need to own a legal copy if you want to run an emulator. Not that it's enforced that often/at all...
If you interpret what he said for instances, an Emulator is like a digital console. So to be in perfect legality, you'd need to own the console to have the emulator.

IYM!

Smash Lord
he was working with the implications...

then again I don't know how the laws in Chile are (in IYM!'s case) but I'm assuming it's the same (then again...are they enforced? Dominican Republic has very similar laws to the US yet it's only enforced if it benefits their corrupt government)

still, I'm sure the team doesn't want to risk their hard work going to **** because 1-3 individuals don't feel like/are unable to buy a Wii and/or a copy of Brawl...
I suppose that here it is illegal, but nobody gives me problems in the matter.

It is not that it does not have money for one, is that there are more important things now, like the university, the trips and all these things.

In Chile, the Wii is not expensive, but as already I said, I do not have the money as to give me this luxury,

In addition, I do not work, and I am who I me finance my games

Probably in a slightly distant future, i will buy one, for the present time I have melee in my Gamecube and the videoes of P:M

Vigilante

Smash Lord
By the way, I'm not condemning you, just getting facts straight. THey want to stay in legality, it's their choice.

Rikana

Smash Champion
PM is illegal.

PM is basically **** but you get 39 characters to choose from.

RapeM.

Makai

Smash Apprentice
If you interpret what he said for instances, an Emulator is like a digital console. So to be in perfect legality, you'd need to own the console to have the emulator.
I'd really like you to give an example case instead of just making up the legality of it. Legality in the United States is based upon statutory law or judicial precedent. Downloaded ROMs are illegal to use because they are copyrighted intellectual property. Consoles are patented in the sense that you cannot create and sell an identical console. Just the operating system and physical contruction are illegal to duplicate. Apple's OS and physical computers are illegal to duplicate, but it is not illegal to build your own computer and install OSX that you bought on it.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I'd really like you to give an example case instead of just making up the legality of it. Legality in the United States is based upon statutory law or judicial precedent. Downloaded ROMs are illegal to use because they are copyrighted intellectual property. Consoles are patented in the sense that you cannot create and sell an identical console. Just the operating system and physical contruction are illegal to duplicate. Apple's OS and physical computers are illegal to duplicate, but it is not illegal to build your own computer and install OSX that you bought on it.
But now that involves building a Wii, and also stealing the Wii's OS that allows you to read Wii games and make it your own. Though that is undergoing loads of debate.

B.W.

Smash Champion
We need to stop with this whole what's legal and illegal BS and replace it with P:M HYPE!

HYPE FOR P:M STREAM THIS WEEKEND!
HYPE FOR MONDAY!
ASDLFKJASDL;KFNSAJFLKSDLKF HYPE!!!

Makai

Smash Apprentice
Legal emulators do not duplicate the console's OS. Some use the actual BIOS or OS like PCSX2, but it's not included with the emulator. You have to dump the BIOS from your actual console to get that to work. Dolphin can use the Wii OS I think, but you need to dump it from your Wii or use nus or whatever. It's not included in the emulator download.

EDIT: PROJECT M yayyyy

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Legal emulators do not duplicate the console's OS. Some use the actual BIOS or OS like PCSX2, but it's not included with the emulator. You have to dump the BIOS from your actual console to get that to work. Dolphin can use the Wii OS I think, but you need to dump it or use nus or whatever.

EDIT: PROJECT M yayyyy
Exactly, emulators are perfectly legal, using one that requires the console's BIOS without owning the console is illegal, but most emulators don't, Dolphin is an example of this, you don't need the BIOS.

To sum it up, it's legal to play games you own on an emulator.

Makai

Smash Apprentice
So Gecko codes don't work in Dolphin? I swore I saw a video of Brawl plus working on dolphin a long time ago. I don't think it was just .pac and .rel replacements on the iso.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
So can anyone name the (neutral/counterpick) stages and characters we know for sure are in the demo? I want to start downloading some textures and music right now so I'm ready for Monday.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I could be wrong on the emulator part, but who cares now. Just buy the system cheap or something.

As for the hype, remember tommorow, there will be a JCaesar stream.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
So I have a serious question for you guys, the P:M audience (fanboys :p).

Will you guys still tune in to livestreams after the demo has been released?

You'll be able to play the game first hand, so livestreams and youtube won't be your only source of P:M action (well, it'll probably still be the only source for non-demo characters until the full release). So do you still want the PMBR to run regular livestreams, or will you all have your hunger for HypeM sufficiently quelled that they are no longer relevant?

I've really enjoyed the live interaction we get from the audience when we run livestreams. It really makes me all warm and gooey inside. But established games like Melee and Brawl generally only gather a decent livestream audience during medium/large tournaments, not the random smashfests like we usually do.

Your feedback is much appreciated! :reverse:

B.W.

Smash Champion
Honestly keep'em coming. We have the demo but that'll only feed us for so long I'm sure. I'd like to see all the progress being made on every character we don't get to play rather than just hearing about it.

I can say that for a while you guys can take a break from live streaming if you want probably.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I didn't really talk about this because I don't want biased answers, but
I don't actually want to stop livestreaming. Like I said, I really enjoy it. I just want to know if there will still be an audience willing to watch after the demo comes out.

Stevo

Smash Champion
I think people will still watch them because they will still want a glimpse at the new things to come.

It is kind of like an insider peek. While the demo is going to be great, I'm sure after a couple weeks people will start to get curious about the other characters etc.

and yea, the livestream chat is a good way for the fans to actively participate in things and be in contact with the devs.

I woudn't be surprised if the livestreams became MORE popular honestly.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I say keep the streams coming that way we can have some idea of what is happening with the game so far. What I mean is like how we have the 14 characters which are primarly the most people play with anyways but still would like to see how the progression like lets say how donkey kong and others are doing which aren't in the demo. I mean we get some glimpses of them currently but still its nice to know whats going on with characters in full.

curry9186

Smash Journeyman
I'll keep watching too. I like the social aspect of it and getting to see all the progress that's been done since the last stream.

User33

Smash Journeyman
A dozen or so pages ago people were talking about making a thread on neogaf about Project M. However, they were hesitant due to the assumption that there would be backlash over changing the game to be "Melee 2.0". I'm happy to inform everyone that this most likely won't be an issue:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414035

General consensus seems to be Melee>Brawl over there, and people are actually already referencing Project M in the thread. I think a GAF thread is a good idea IMO.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Someone with a GAF account should quote Sakurai in response to AmICoolYet's post, as to why he made the changes he did.

You can't assume his thoughts on what was broken when he said he took a completely different approach for Brawl's 'balance,' compared to Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom