• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Funny I was just watching that guy's Street fighter third strike videos, and saw he had in the related videos some playing of Brawl wifi: now that he knows of Melee maybe we'll find him doing a P:M wifi eventually
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jmGxN6KCZo0&t=146
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jmGxN6KCZo0&t=352
Mad, are you still considering getting a fight stick or fight pad?

Also I'm super busy until Low Tier City, but next week we should play some GGPO.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Mad, are you still considering getting a fight stick or fight pad?

Also I'm super busy until Low Tier City, but next week we should play some GGPO.
Coming tomorrow or tomorrow tomorrow I have 2 of these coming
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Versus-Controller/dp/B0051MQJWU/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1374715810&sr=1-1&keywords=pdp pad
I know you said they sucked but I did a ton of research, and got two of them back when they were $13.01: what also affected my decision was the Madcatz controller went up from 19.99 to 17.99+7 shipping for whatever reason. I think I made the right decision, right now they went up to 18 bucks and they could drop back down anytime but I don't think they'll go lower than 13 bucks. The controllers expected to go bad eventually as much as I hope it doesn't, but I got 2: and that's also because I needed two for the $25 of Amazon stuff for the free shipping

Let me expand on my research hold on a sec

The Madcatz controller that was 19.99 is good, but this guy has a lot of them go bad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24PlKwIa1gk#at=268
What IS good is the Madcatz controller this guy in the comments recommends
" No the Super street fighter 4 round 2 pads are better quality then any of them. The sfxt fightpads are good but they dont last long at all. So I recommend overall getting the super street fighter 4 round 2 fight pad."
Other websites also confirm the round 2 pads are the best: but it's impossible to get one unless it's Ebay for like $40 or something.

Also I'm pretty sure the one I got works with PC from this slight confirmation
http://www.the-other-view.com/versus-fighting-pad.html
" Bonus: The Versus Pad does work on the PC once you download the Xbox 360 driver! Simply click on the highlight link, which will take you to the Microsoft website, click on the "support" tab, and download the driver that best suits your windows operating system> From there it's an easy install and you're on your way."

I also did some research on an actual Arcade stick: and something like the Hori Pad V3 (not the mini) is definitely good but Amazon has it a bit too high. So until some good deal for an arcade stick uncommonly pops up on slickdeals.net or I run into some Chicago smasher whose quitting fighting games or something I'll just be enjoying these comfortable looking pads until they both break (hopefully one doesn't break soon out of the box like some people experience)

It's hard to get good and cheap fighting stick/pads just like GCCs. I'd like to mention RIP Tag Lucky Day, I'll never know why they didn't remake you unlike the other Tag scents. I'd like to think the spamming I'm doing on Gillete's FB will bring it back but I can only hope

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
TAG? TAG BODY SPRAY?!?!?!!?

DON'T TOUCH ME YOU FILTHY CASUAL!

SpiderMad

Smash Master
TAG? TAG BODY SPRAY?!?!?!!?

DON'T TOUCH ME YOU FILTHY CASUAL!
It's way better than all of the Axe and Old Spice scents (at least the ones that existed a few years ago). Can you recommend a good but cheap cologne then?

Vashimus

Smash Master
Idk Mad, those third party pads are way too iffy. MadKatz ones are decent, specifically the Street Fighter ones, but you're better off just getting a quality TE stick, because while they are expensive, you get what you pay for.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'm sorry, I thought we were trying to smell like Men here Kink, not like a toddler's freshly powdered ass.

Wrestlemania

The Steel Chair
I just burn some wood then bask in the smoke before a date. If I need to spice it up or go for a change of pace I just put a different type of wood. Man, Tiffany sure is a firecracker I better grab some of that red oak.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Get a cologne set with matching deodorant and aftershave. It sounds expensive up front but with the use you will get out of it, it's well worth it.

SpiderMad

Smash Master

Vashimus

Smash Master
You don't really need cologne. Women are actually attracted to the testosterone in your sweat (which is why girls find guys hotter after a workout....or sex), so you're really just covering that scent up, but hey if it works for you, by all means. Do wear deodorant though, I don't wanna smell that funkiness.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Wouldn't the cologne just mix with the testosterone? I thought it's something you/they can't really smell but just get the effects of it.

D

Deleted member

Why don't you just get her a clothespin to put on her nose. It'll cost less.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Idk Mad, those third party pads are way too iffy. MadKatz ones are decent, specifically the Street Fighter ones, but you're better off just getting a quality TE stick, because while they are expensive, you get what you pay for.

I agree with him, I think you made a mistake Mad. Hopefully you know what you are doing though.

That guy in the video obviously plays his pads like they are sticks. That's why he's running through those MadKatz pads so quickly. I told you that a fightpad makes for a good temporary solution while you scratch up the dough for a quality fightstick.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I agree with him, I think you made a mistake Mad. Hopefully you know what you are doing though.

That guy in the video obviously plays his pads like they are sticks. That's why he's running through those MadKatz pads so quickly. I told you that a fightpad makes for a good temporary solution while you scratch up the dough for a quality fightstick.

at least It'll be fun to find out, MaxThunder has one coming as well. This guy really sold me on it, though his fingernails are unhealthy lookin (from drugs?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=S3kKNGdrFxc&t=153

You mean that guy is too brutal with his d-pad actions? In the future I'll be on the lookout for any decent arcade sticks that go on sale for ~$25, right now I just got this website to try and monitor for my best bet of finding one.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/302270-street-fighter-x-tekken-fightpad-1499-fs-newegg/

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I'll be on the lookout for any decent arcade sticks that go on sale for ~$25

You won't ever in a million years find a real quality arcade stick for $25, I guarantee it. If you are handy or would like to learn to be, building your own stick is probably your best route as far as "bang for your buck". ~$25 dollars for the types of parts we are talking about is pretty unrealistic if you want something that will last.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
if you're looking for an arcade stick under 50 bucks, expect it to basically collapse in your hands with any pressure. if you're really going cheap, get a SE stick (for whatever reason, the WWE ones in particular cost real cheap) and then replace the buttons and joysticks w/ less piss sanwa parts

Izzmo

Smash Cadet
also, you can look out for sales on the more expensive ones (they are worth it). There were sales during Evo and there will probably be sales during VXG, too.

Vashimus

Smash Master
In the future I'll be on the lookout for any decent arcade sticks that go on sale for ~$25, right now I just got this website to try and monitor for my best bet of finding one.

I still recommend getting a stick because pads eventually will break down on you. You blow through them too easily before you have to buy another one because they aren't rugged enough to take the abuse. The d-pad will stop registering directions, buttons die out, it's just a pain in the ass.

If you are gonna get a stick, then do not, I repeat DO NOT be cheap and get a cheap stick.

1) Cheap sticks always have crappy starting parts. As in parts that you'll replace when you get serious because they break too easily after extended play. Replacement buttons and joysticks will cost you about $60 (and that's even if you can even replace them on your stick. Cheap Horis and Mayflashes are notorious for this), and suddenly that cheap stick cost you more than a good stick that had quality parts right out of the box in the first place.

2) Cheap sticks have no resale value. If you buy a $150 MadCatz stick, you can sell it for at least $120 later (or a $100 stick for $100). Think of it like a $30 rental if you change your mind a few months later. That cheap stick you bought for $50? Good luck selling it. Even if you buy better parts for it, you'd still only be able to sell it for < $50. Why? Because nobody wants cheap sticks.

3) You're limiting yourself. If you buy a cheap stick, it's almost as detrimental to your performance as trying to play golf with a tree branch. Yeah, there are people who do just fine with a tree branch, but odds are you're not one of them. Incidentally, this is the same argument I make when discussing picking low tier characters. Funny how it works here. The same way you're more likely to get frustrated at the game by picking a bad character, the odds are higher that you'll end up hating playing on a stick if you get a crappy stick. You need something with Sanwa or Seimitsu parts (authentic Japanese arcade cabinet parts). Sanwa's better for starters since the buttons and stick are more sensitive.

Do not get any kind of mini stick.
Do not get any stick that cost any less than $50 when it came out (stuff like Hori EX2, MadKatz SE, Mayflash anything)

My recommendations:
  • Any MadKatz TE stick. These sticks are incredibly well made, everything's authentic, and they're easily modifiable. You can find some really good deals for them nowadays. I just went on Amazon and they're selling Soul Calibur V and SFxT sticks for $99 NEW for each platform. That is a steal.
  • Qanba and Eightarc sticks are more expensive (Qanba Q4RAF and Eightarc Fusion run you at least $170), though they are well worth the money. They're triple-modded right out the box (compatible with PS3, 360, AND PC, rather than just one or the other), which is great when playing on switching consoles constantly between tournaments for instance, and have other small touches to them (felt bottom, more hand room, heavier easier to mod than the MadCatz, etc.)

poklin

Smash Apprentice
So this may be the wrong place to ask and it may be a dumb question but does light shielding work in pm?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
So, who else here is going to Low Tier City tomorrow? I can't wait to go OOS and play a bunch of new people
Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry® series low tiers like Marth.

I'm going to AnimeIowa to hopefully get a chance to better organize the Iowa smash scene. I made a facebook page but want to get people in person interested.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'll be at LTC.
20 leelue pesos on this guy 1st place, he'll read Sethlon's unreadable marth and hammertime him down
try WD OOS, eventhough it's harder in PM it's still a valid option
You talking about using both L and R for one to shield and the other for the AD? I use to do that early on in Melee for Marth but now I feel using the same shoulder button is equal or better (and even more better with the light press Wifi AD)

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Me and Heysuess will be traveling to LTC tomorrow too. Lets go AZ!

I wish we had at least one more going with us, 4 people just doesn't feel like its quite enough for a hype AZ v TX crew battle.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
talkin with people on the internet

"marth is top 3"
"how so, he's basically just his melee self"
"no he's better I checked, he's better in every way"
"ok can we get someone who's actually in PMBR to confirm that"
"no they'd be wrong because they're bad at the game"
"but. they're the ones who made him"
"you never see them win tournaments do you???"

??? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ???? I am too tired for this

(it's a false statement because MK is actually top 3 wrap it up marthailures)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
PMBR don't win tournaments ... and some people don't follow tournament results very closely apparently.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
actually for some reason he mentioned you specifically? when I mentioned metroid has won majors before he said "I doubt he beat anyone important"

iunno, he beat some dude named "mango"????? apparently he's a deal, who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom