• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Wrong, ROB is more fun
Fun is an objective measurable quality and I have empirically determined ROB to be more fun
R.O.B. was fun when two side Bs in a row didn't cause him to move downward.

So

I can confirm that Wario can run off the ledge, start weaving back into the stage so he lands on it without having to jump, use uair, start weaving back out, and ledge-cancel the move. If this can be TAS'd I think it has the potential to beat out Peach's FC nairs and Fox's ledge canceled nairs for most aerials per second. It's like that Game and Watch run off b-reverse bacon cancel.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Looking at it just reminds me of Pikadorf/Longchu/whatever you want to call it.
Disturbing.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
R.O.B. was fun when two side Bs in a row didn't cause him to move downward.
I'm pretty sure he can still do that. He doesn't gain downward momentum until the move ends (or perhaps it's the IASA frames, not sure), but a side-b can be interrupted before then by another side-b. The difference is that the window for such a thing is more limited now.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
so i remember back between demo 1 and demo 2 there was much streaming of the dev alpha versions, showing what is going on with underdeveloped chars. What happened to that? Why don't we get to see what the devs are doing with the final 6? I don't mind not playing them for over a year, but i'd like to have more speculation than we currently do.

V-K

Smash Ace
Mostly. However, because of certain difficulties, and the unexpected side effect of being able to mash Up B and still manage to get it, the window is frame 16.
So you can meteor cancel after 16 frames? And there is no punishment for mashing?

V-K

Smash Ace
But why did you change the frame window from 25 to 16 and have no penalty? That was one of the few good things in Brawl. In Melee Meteor Canceling was the most flawed mechanic imo. PAL Marth being the best example where using the dair often puts you in a worse position than your opponent.

V-K

Smash Ace
the window was made smaller because you can MASH TO METEOR CANCEL now. Seems like a pretty reasonable tradeoff.
The fact that you can mash the cancel and that the window is smaller both seems like bad things to me. Imo the Meteor Smash shouldn't be as strong as a spike but you shouldn't be able to jump out of it immediately either.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
The being able to mash is something they just haven't been able to fix yet. The smaller window is just to compensate.

it's much like the buffer window being added to compensate for input lag in Brawl. It's not exactly a "fix" but it alleviates the problem a tad, and serves to make the problem appear solved to the untrained eye, when it's totally not.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Wouldn't the window being 25 be a nerf since a successful meteor cancel would happen later or do I just not understand frame information?

V-K

Smash Ace
The being able to mash is something they just haven't been able to fix yet. The smaller window is just to compensate.
I don't really understand. A penalty for mashing makes the frame window after which you can act bigger, right? (that's how it was in Brawl) So if you have no penalty, wouldn't you have to increase the frame window to compensate?

The way I see it is that in Brawl you have 25 frames hitstun after the meteor-smash but if you mash, you get 40 frames hitstun. In PM you always have 16 frames hitstun, right?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I don't think you're understanding what you're being told.

There's a window of frames where meteor canceling works. If you don't do your inputs within that window, you miss it, and if you do the inputs early, you lose your window. This is how it works in Melee.

Currently in PM, it does not function properly. You do not have to hit the specific window in order to successfully meteor cancel. You do not have to hit the window exactly on the dot, you can input before the window all day long, and you will never lose it. This means you can just mash it the whole time, and when the window presents itself, you will be successful. This makes Meteor canceling way too easy.

To compensate for this, the timeframe where you have to do your inputs to meteor cancel is sooner. This makes it slightly more difficult to do on reaction, making it reward the braindead less often.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Hey guys, rando question about sonic. Wouldn't he make a lot more sense if his recovery were played around with. Like, do people with great recoveries like sonic and rob really need the ability to air dodge after they've already fb and upb'd? I think this is def more of a problem with sonic to be honest. It just seems overkill to have a great recovery and invulnerability frames.

V-K

Smash Ace

There's a window of frames where meteor canceling works. If you don't do your inputs within that window, you miss it, and if you do the inputs early, you lose your window. This is how it works in Melee.

Currently in PM, it does not function properly. You do not have to hit the specific window in order to successfully meteor cancel. You do not have to hit the window exactly on the dot, you can input before the window all day long, and you will never lose it. This means you can just mash it the whole time, and when the window presents itself, you will be successful. This makes Meteor canceling way too easy.

To compensate for this, the timeframe where you have to do your inputs to meteor cancel is sooner. This makes it slightly more difficult to do on reaction, making it reward the braindead less often.
Monk said
16 frames after hitstun is over, you can meteor cancel.
I thought that means there are 16 frames after wich you are allowed to meteor cancel?

In Melee you couldn't mash before you got hit, but after the meteor-smash you could pretty much cancel immediately (for the length of that frame window). And in PM they have the same thing, with the exception that you can mash buttons before you get meteor-smashed and have a smaller time window?
Okay, so they are trying to do it like it is in Melee which kinda sucks imo..

The_NZA

Smash Lord

I see . But the downside is if they successfully meteor cancel, they'll be closer to the stage than if they had to wait for the ful 24 frames. In the case of sonic, this can often mean getting spiked helps him in many situations as his up B will have a net increase in vertical distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom