• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Bleck

Smash Master
anime isn't bad because the animation is bad, it's because ninety percent of it is specifically designed to cater to sociopathic pedophiles

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Gonna start dnd

Making a dragonborn monk who grapples

Am I strong yet Grey Belnades Grey Belnades
not even halfling monk that suplexes people 0/10.
PlateProp PlateProp SHAME SHAME

Let me create your DND character:

Name: Yergwyn Belstrong
Race: Orc
Class: Monk (Fights only with submission/wrestling. Promos replace magic/healer enchantments)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
STR: 20
DEX: 9
CON: 20
INT: 2
WIS: 11
CHA: 12

*Gains +20 STR/CON when equipped with Championship of the Gods (rare find)

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
There is less western animation, and I think it's mostly better than japanimation.
Not since Adventure Time became a thing. And even before that it was arguable when looking at the sheer quantity of adult cartoons.

The rest of your rant can be applied to any media ever. Books, music, comics, movies, paintings, etc. Every form of expression is filled with low effort stuff that will appeal to the masses.

Player -0

Smash Hero
PlateProp PlateProp SHAME SHAME

Let me create your DND character:

Name: Yergwyn Belstrong
Race: Orc
Class: Monk (Fights only with submission/wrestling. Promos replace magic/healer enchantments)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
STR: 20
DEX: 9
CON: 20
INT: 2
WIS: 11
CHA: 12

*Gains +20 STR/CON when equipped with Championship of the Gods (rare find)
You didn't even respond to your stealing of my identity and completely broke the stats for level 1!

Take true wrestling justice!

*suplex*

Lizalfos

Smash Master

watch these and then talk about ****ty anime art
I have seen all these. I said cheap AND rushed. I'm commenting on the industrial nature of anime as a product. Clearly good art isn't necessarily expensive, and rarely it isn't even thoughtful, but normally a degree of dedication and sacrifice, including financial is needed. I will continue to talk **** about 90% of animation. I will talk **** about 90% of all things. If you are watching mostly anime, you are watching too much anime.
Not since Adventure Time became a thing. And even before that it was arguable when looking at the sheer quantity of adult cartoons.

The rest of your rant can be applied to any media ever. Books, music, comics, movies, paintings, etc. Every form of expression is filled with low effort stuff that will appeal to the masses.
Realizing that, expressing my frustration with weebs.

Historically, anime has lots of good stuff. As for right now, I don't see why you should keep up to date with each new season.
Is the Flash tv show good? Dork at school recommends.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
I feel baffled that people still play that awful game as it slowly but surely loses what little was good about it in the first place

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
i'm actually scared of a duo archetype... maybe it won't be completely stupid in one direction or the other, but there's a bit of a history with that archetype throughout most fighting games, not even just smash...
pm had a hell of a time balancing ice climbers to begin with, I wouldn't say they're the pinnacle of "good design" in melee at all, and rosaluma is probably the exact extreme that wavedash wants to ignore

if we look at other fighting games with duo characters (tbf I can only think of like a couple others and 3 of those are from melty blood) they're all limited, as in, control of the second character is manual and not in play constantly, also all of them are either really weird to play/terrible or they're really good

zato: basically the perennial top tier of guilty gear

maids (from melty blood): act more as a sort of "assist character" with built in assist buttons as specials (like marvel) except f-maids who are closer to the ice climbers (switching off and offering more control over the second character, sorta like desynchs)

mech hisui + neco (also melty blood) again, more similar to an assist character, but the playable character interacts with the
smaller non-playable one in a manner that extends hitboxes and sets up different things, along with assist specials being available.

and I guess nakoruru from kofxiv also counts, similar to rosaluma

furthermore, being "floaty" isn't really an archetype, it's just an attribute that can be applied to characters of other archetypes to create interesting combinations

the only characters that have "floaty" as their defining characteristic are kirby (but that's because he has no other real traits aside from being bad), jiggs (actually more of a poking, range fighter archetype, almost dhalsim-esque), and luigi (wtf is luigi's archetype aside from "weird shoto with really skewed movement options")

trying to find archetypes in smash outside of a few basic ones (shoto: mario, rushdown: falco (except lasers also zone really well lol), grappler: dk? (except shiek does it better lol), zoning: link, samus, tink, and "setplay character": tink? (weird because smash doesn't really have "setplay" as defined traditionally but I guess tink fits getup option coverage well)) is hard because sakurai didn't really have traditional fighting game archetypes in mind, he just kinda threw things at wall until they stuck/fit the character he was designing, which is why it's a miracle that melee worked out at all, and also why melee is as absolutely stupid as it is.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
there's also caruru caroba and his dad in the blazblue series.

zato/eddie is kind of a weird spot. i really just remember the ac set of games and now xrd... he was just stupid most of the time in the ac series, and in xrd, i think he started out not too good and is now, like you said, perennially top tier, again, but not in the stupidest way he used to be.

the robot masters in bb are also similar. carl was just straight ridiculous in vanilla, a lot like how ic's could be. if he touched you, you were put in the (semi)infiite and just had to hope he ****ed up or you managed to stale it enough to fall out. he got retooled and reblanced, and isn't stupid now, but i also don't follow bb much anymore. his dad is more of a solid character that has the option to use assists and to cover his stuff with robot meter, and most of his craziness was just because his base toolset was really good, iirc. (again, i don't follow bb very closely anymore, so i'm pretty sure i'm missing a whole lot of the nuance).

he did say they were taking a different approach to the duo archetype than what's been seen in smash, so hopefully it works out. it's just one of those scary archetypes that sets me on edge, you know?

and i think he picked an odd term with floaty, but the description he gave made it sound like a basic puff or peach toolkit.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
tbh I don't know anything about blazblue so lmao

but even in traditional fg terms, what does a character like peach do that can be sorted into an archetype? (I know trying to sort every character into a single archetype is a futile task as most are clear combinations but)
like what exactly does her kit lend itself to aside from a weird type of zoning with fc aerials/turnips and dsmash to threaten people getting too close?

trying to come up with what exactly sakurai was thinking when designing a single character is nigh unto impossible aside from "oh it fits their nintendo universe persona"

CORY

wut
BRoomer
tbh I don't know anything about blazblue so lmao

but even in traditional fg terms, what does a character like peach do that can be sorted into an archetype? (I know trying to sort every character into a single archetype is a futile task as most are clear combinations but)
like what exactly does her kit lend itself to aside from a weird type of zoning with fc aerials/turnips and dsmash to threaten people getting too close?
peach trades hits and lasts forever. she's a smash version of a tanky attrition character that can force you approach if you don't want her to get a good approach tool, herself (so, instead of high hp, she just lives forever until you can outright kill her, and since she's a midweight, she doesn't die *super* early).
trying to come up with what exactly sakurai was thinking when designing a single character is nigh unto impossible aside from "oh it fits their nintendo universe persona"
don't disagree with this, though. especially with regard to the earlier games.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Squirtle being mentioned when he's entirely irrelevant is some new meme that I don't understand. Y'all need to go back to Harambe and Arthur.

Last edited:
Top Bottom