• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Kushina43

Smash Apprentice
So I have friends that want to play Overwatch with me but I'm not really into shooters. I'm considering it anyway, but what do?
Try it out, Overwatch is different enough mechanically from most other shooters to potentially enjoy it even outside of traditional players. Worst comes to worst, avoid heroes that play similarly to other FPS characters (e.g. S:76, McCree, Widowmaker) and play more unique heroes instead (Winston, Genji, Zenyatta)

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
good afternoon, thread

I got fightin' words on overwatch. not particularly out of a strong hatred, but because almost every single problem contained in the game were problems already solved by TF2 years ago--but blizzard didn't actually pay any attention to tf2's specifics, especially in competitive. they saw that TF2's most popular casual maps were A/D control point, payload, and king of the hill, and they knew that a 6v6 scene existed, so that's all they built off of

payload and AD, at first, resulted in a lot of timestalling in OW--the most objective way to measure skill in attacking and defending is through a stopwatch format, which times how quickly it takes for an attacking team to win (or if they win at all), so people often give up at the last minute. this is something that TF2 players have known for years, and this is why these gamemodes are rarely seen, and when they are seen, the map requires heavy polish to survive long-term.

rather than try to fix the gamemode mechanics or the maps, blizzard decided the real issue was... the stopwatch. rather than try and rebalance the maps, they've decided that the reason those gamemodes don't work is the passage of time, so now they're doing this weird gimmicky mess that inevitably results in king of the hill meaning more than the other two game modes in tournament play, since that's the most objective game mode and so winning that guarantees victory

and I'd be less annoyed if that's the only example. when the beta was first released, they never expected people to ever want more than 70 FOV (which was immediately a bad sign); the scoreboard is a graphical nightmare which covers the entire screen, which would be less annoying if you didn't need to keep it up constantly to see when opposing players respawn; and despite the fact that the entire HUD is visually cluttered with energy effects and constant color overlays rather than anything useful, any form of HUD editing, no matter how minor, is considered to be a massive act against god to them. this is just the obvious ones, overlaying very basic do-nots that are within some classes

despite the fact that they desperately want to be like TF2, right down to the engineer that can build sentries with 200 metal, they never actually looked at a successful FPS with any depth, so they're tripping into pitfalls which every other successful competitive FPS has already solved for them, and rather than use the rope that's right beside them they're trying to macgyver a pair of boots and some springs

bees

Last edited:

Kushina43

Smash Apprentice
The only issue I've had with OW so far is how slow some characters get to the fray after spawning, otherwise I'm having an utter blast

Also:
very basic do-nots that are within some classes
I'd like some elaboration

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
there's small stuff like the pharaoh ult being super reliant on RNG, since sometimes you'll be positioned perfectly and then not get a kill thanks to the missiles going completely around who you were aiming for, but the big one is currently that things like an in-game aimbot/wallhack (which, I should stress, isn't in itself a bad thing, it can be neat in the right setup) makes a difficult concept of catching hackers all that harder. also, while it isn't class-specific, something which makes it worse is the tick rate (basically just a server's version of frames per second), because despite almost all notable FPS shooters running a much higher tick-rate, OW runs at 20 ticks.

there's a hack accusation involving a high end overwatch player pretty recently, and I genuinely couldn't tell you if the player was hacking or if he was just aiming a bit weirdly (which is something that a lot more pro TF2 players do than one would reasonably assume) and the server couldn't handle it:

like, it looks like he's locking on, surely? except a lot of TF2 players can back up that his aiming has always been odd and strange, and 20 tick rate servers cannot capture nuance in mouse movements, so there's no way of telling. that's a problem, because either you're actively screwing over innocent people, or you're letting people into online tournaments with an unfair advantage

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
good afternoon, thread

I got fightin' words on overwatch. not particularly out of a strong hatred, but because almost every single problem contained in the game were problems already solved by TF2 years ago--but blizzard didn't actually pay any attention to tf2's specifics, especially in competitive. they saw that TF2's most popular casual maps were A/D control point, payload, and king of the hill, and they knew that a 6v6 scene existed, so that's all they built off of

payload and AD, at first, resulted in a lot of timestalling in OW--the most objective way to measure skill in attacking and defending is through a stopwatch format, which times how quickly it takes for an attacking team to win (or if they win at all), so people often give up at the last minute. this is something that TF2 players have known for years, and this is why these gamemodes are rarely seen, and when they are seen, the map requires heavy polish to survive long-term.

rather than try to fix the gamemode mechanics or the maps, blizzard decided the real issue was... the stopwatch. rather than try and rebalance the maps, they've decided that the reason those gamemodes don't work is the passage of time, so now they're doing this weird gimmicky mess that inevitably results in king of the hill meaning more than the other two game modes in tournament play, since that's the most objective game mode and so winning that guarantees victory

and I'd be less annoyed if that's the only example. when the beta was first released, they never expected people to ever want more than 70 FOV (which was immediately a bad sign); the scoreboard is a graphical nightmare which covers the entire screen, which would be less annoying if you didn't need to keep it up constantly to see when opposing players respawn; and despite the fact that the entire HUD is visually cluttered with energy effects and constant color overlays rather than anything useful, any form of HUD editing, no matter how minor, is considered to be a massive act against god to them. this is just the obvious ones, overlaying very basic do-nots that are within some classes

despite the fact that they desperately want to be like TF2, right down to the engineer that can build sentries with 200 metal, they never actually looked at a successful FPS with any depth, so they're tripping into pitfalls which every other successful competitive FPS has already solved for them, and rather than use the rope that's right beside them they're trying to macgyver a pair of boots and some springs

bees
but

muhwaifus

(then again I quit playing "real tf2" a long time ago to specialize in prophunt and dodgeball)

edit: although really my true love of tf2 now comes from playing mini-sentry aggro engi

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Whaddup thread

Somber Tuesday night so far, but I have a package coming in the mail tomorrow that I'm pretty hyped about so yeee

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I just got the pictures that were taken of my little mafia group from the wedding off of Facebook.

http://imgur.com/a/WIeG9

You know, I keep forgetting that I'm as dark as I am until I see a picture of myself. I swear I look lighter when I look in the mirror with my own eyes. ¦D;

ilysm

sleepy
Odd question here. Anybody down to swap a month of premium for some Steam money? Can't get a credit card, and I'm selling all my TF2 crap and I've got two keys that can be marketed pretty quickly for ~$5 total. I'm really just looking for a name change to my tag to avoid confusion between other websites and Smashboards.

Kushina43

Smash Apprentice
..something which makes it worse is the tick rate (basically just a server's version of frames per second), because despite almost all notable FPS shooters running a much higher tick-rate, OW runs at 20 ticks.

there's a hack accusation involving a high end overwatch player pretty recently, and I genuinely couldn't tell you if the player was hacking or if he was just aiming a bit weirdly (which is something that a lot more pro TF2 players do than one would reasonably assume) and the server couldn't handle it:

like, it looks like he's locking on, surely? except a lot of TF2 players can back up that his aiming has always been odd and strange, and 20 tick rate servers cannot capture nuance in mouse movements, so there's no way of telling. that's a problem, because either you're actively screwing over innocent people, or you're letting people into online tournaments with an unfair advantage
Idk if it's in use in comp yet (I'd hope so) but custom games can set the tick rate as high as 60

Player -0

Smash Hero
Odd question here. Anybody down to swap a month of premium for some Steam money? Can't get a credit card, and I'm selling all my TF2 crap and I've got two keys that can be marketed pretty quickly for ~$5 total. I'm really just looking for a name change to my tag to avoid confusion between other websites and Smashboards.
You can also join the PMS Buddies steam group and then ask there if you haven't

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
10 minute ago, got 15,000 post count and Only the best is good enough trophies. Seems mad late, like Bowser Fsmash fully charged late

Who all is going to LTC? Let's meet up and share dank memes

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
its getting really hard to choose between madvillainy and the unseen as my favorite album of all time i cant stop listening to both

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
O N L Y T H E B E S T I S G O O D E N O U G H B O Y Z
Mind if I admit something incredibly odd and say that I actually get a big smile on my face every time i see you post or that you're online? :3

Or when I see your avy. ¦D

CORY

wut
BRoomer
10 minute ago, got 15,000 post count and Only the best is good enough trophies. Seems mad late, like Bowser Fsmash fully charged late

Who all is going to LTC? Let's meet up and share dank memes
I'll be there, homie

Player -0

Smash Hero
I confirmed my RPS comparison to Project M just now with a match vs. Plateprop

I knew he was a jank Squirtle player so I used balance patches to beat him.

more details later

Edit - Note, was first match vs. Plateprop ever

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I got an award for getting 1000 likes

I have just learned that there's a bit in your profile that shows likes received, and I have 11k

I am confuse

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Cause I had old school Smashers buds with priority (Vex one of them) that couldn't make it. Sorry Frost | Odds Frost | Odds , ur Bowser is still Bae in my heart

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
no wait, now I got the 2500 likes? I'm confused, did an admin temporarily realize awards haven't been updated in years

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Haha wow trophies

I have also received the only the best one
WHAT A MYSTERY

Top Bottom