• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
We talking about MMOs?

If I had the time, proper computer, and ability to read Japanese, I'd totally be trying out Monster Hunter Frontier

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Started with Runescape, stopped after I graduated high school. Used to do a bit of WoW, and then stopped before Cataclysm. Then I played this one called Atlantica for about a year before getting bored and stopping. Haven't touched an MMO since. I kinda just want one that's less about raiding and fetch quests and more about exploring a world and finding cool stuff with friends. I got tired of the grind and the optimization. I was hoping Elder Scrolls Online might give me my fix, but that didn't do it.

Like, an open world MMO where the big objective is for players to work together and build civilization and explore and fight off other player-made nations while trying to, basically, map out the world they're all on would be something I'd be super interested in.
ArcheAge sounds like it would be right up your alley.

Smooth Criminal

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
Mobas by far imo

The only mobas that aren't just lazy cash grabs are League, Dota(although this wins by default almost), Heroes of the Storm, and Dawngate(which got axed by EA because they weren't making money, even though they hardly advertised it). Those 4 do their own thing and although they share similarities they have clear design goals that make them different.

Also, in my experience people pick up a moba and it turns into the only game they play, like you don't know how long it took for me and some other friends to get my Diamond 1 friend to come play Dota, he was too busy grinding ELO to try it. When he did play with us he ended up loving it and now plays both back and forth.

I hear the league players at my esports club upset that they're not getting better even though they eat, live and breath league when they're not in school and when I suggest that they take a break for a while and play something else they say "But I can't improve if I don't play!". While this is true, you're definitely not improving until you can kick out bad habits and get their mind into a more calm state, and one of the best ways to do that is to take a break for a week or two.

EDIT: In terms of MMOs, I only really play GW2 and DFO, and I play them super casually at that. I spent so much time playing league and nothing else(heh) that I haven't been able to play any of the games in my library. I might try out PSO2 again to see what's changed, but I'm not expecting much.

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
I never got into MOBAs, honestly. I know they're the huge thing right now, but the culture just doesn't appeal to me. I appreciate it for what it is, but my brief experiences with LoL and DotA were...not the most pleasant.

@ Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal I've actually looked into ArcheAge. Looks very interesting, but my rig is not currently a gaming rig, so I don't plan on playing it anytime soon. What's the monetization policy like?

Last edited:

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
ArcheAge has a fatigue system of sorts called Labor points; most actions regarding crafting and trading require them, and free players have a much smaller max capacity/labor point gain than subscribers. Crafting and trading are a big part of the game, so it's something similar to Runescape imo: You get to level up and kill for free, but to experience everything you might want to pay up.

Me and my friends were really into it, it looks amazing at 1080p and has a really good soundtrack and a well made story, but the gameplay is standard WoW fair with class mixing. My friend got a thunderstruck tree during the first month of it's release, which was a very rare occurance. Cutting thunderstruck trees gave you thunderstruck logs used for high level crafting, so they were the cream of the crop in item pricing so to speak. He was watching the market fluctuate to find the right time to sell, when all of a sudden they released a tree seed in the cash shop that had a much higher chance of being striked by thunder, and consequently the price of thunderstruck logs tanked. He was so upset that he ended up quitting, and I had already left due to getting a bit bored with the grind.

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
i played the archeage beta for about 5 minutes
i also recorded what i did in it for 5 minutes before getting bored and playing aura kingdom

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Where my Guild Wars 2 peeps at?

Add me: EthernetHub.1607

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
I just get MMO urges. Like, I start thinking that the grind won't be so bad.
It's like that guy/gal you keep going back to. You know it's bad for you, but every now and then you just get this urge and you're like "maybe it'll be good this time." Then you start playing, and it's fun and great and exciting, and then you wake up one morning, your senses return, and you realize that you're just not having fun anymore and it's the same grind as always and you're wasting your life. Or maybe that's just me.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I just want to have some fun while playing with a bunch of people.

It's the only reason I bother to play MMOs. So I can do missions with a lot of people or fight against a lot of people. Maybe have a good conversation, or something else.

The only exception to that was Vindictus. I played that for its difficulty. Too bad the difficulty by this point has become significantly more artificial with extreme stat requirements as opposed to older bosses that were just legitimately challenging.

Not like the bosses still aren't hard though. They just hit unreasonably hard for how difficult it is to dodge their attacks.

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
you know what i hated about the mmo scene after 2012
3 seconds after sword art online is out people start "soloing" and playing like a "lone wolf"
WELL JEEZ LETS JUST PLAY THIS
MASSIVE
MULTIPLAYER
ONLINE GAME
AND PLAY ALONE YEAH THAT'TLE MAKE ME LOOK COOL INFRONT OF ALL THOSE GIRLS WHO ARE ACTUALLY GUYS
shoutouts to elsword and aura kingdom

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I never played a MOBA nor a MMO game. Well, I "played" Planetside 2, but performance was so bad that it only lasted 5 mins in my laptop or so.

Blazing Ambition

Smash Journeyman
I never got into any mmos
Getting cool loot and stuff is ok
Seeing numbers go up is pretty nice too
But I'd rather just spend that time doing something else

Helsong

Smash Ace
PM version 1.0 confirmed.

So I booted up my modded skyrim. I've got graphical overhauls, stuff that adds in immersive weapons and armor, more weapons and armor, a loot de-leveler(so loot now makes sense where you find it) overhaul, an enemy level overhaul(makes enemies vary by region and not be leveled), some immersion mods adding in food and drink requirements, disease overhauls, and assorted other things to make the game more interesting and a better RPG experience.
But then I remembered that the characters are boring, the writing is sub-par, and the quests are all really dull.
Can't wait until Skywind finishes development so I can play through Morrowind again.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
What makes something in a game "legitimately challenging"
For that game specifically, a boss that doesn't leave itself too vulnerable to attack too often, and reacts to the players positioning and chooses moves that are difficult to deal with in those positions. It has dangerous moves that need to be carefully examined in order to exploit it's openings.

High hit points, but relatively low defense so gear doesn't play as much of a factor (Game has a damage cap where 10k over the boss' defense is all that will be applied)

Fair damage so that the player isn't forced into pretty much death from one or two attacks but not so low that the player can get away with face tanking (albeit this is a legitimate strategy for specific characters in certain situations)

Times to heal aren't too apparent but definitely exist so having a good attack pattern is also crucial to having a legitimately challenging fight.

And lastly important, your character having enough tools that you have to make use of well to deal with certain situations and specific boss moves. (Bonus if creative use of those skills end up making your damage potential higher.)

Mastery of a fight essentially removes most of the challenge, but it's especially good if the boss is still quite punishing if you make mistakes, even if you've "Mastered" the fight.

Last edited:

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
For that game specifically, a boss that doesn't leave itself too vulnerable to attack too often, and reacts to the players positioning and chooses moves that are difficult to deal with in those positions. It has dangerous moves that need to be carefully examined in order to exploit it's openings.

High hit points, but relatively low defense so gear doesn't play as much of a factor (Game has a damage cap where 10k over the boss' defense is all that will be applied)

Fair damage so that the player isn't forced into pretty much death from one or two attacks but not so low that the player can get away with face tanking (albeit this is a legitimate strategy for specific characters in certain situations)

Times to heal aren't too apparent but definitely exist so having a good attack pattern is also crucial to having a legitimately challenging fight.

And lastly important, your character having enough tools that you have to make use of well to deal with certain situations and specific boss moves. (Bonus if creative use of those skills end up making your damage potential higher.)

Mastery of a fight essentially removes most of the challenge, but it's especially good if the boss is still quite punishing if you make mistakes, even if you've "Mastered" the fight.
So most Monster Hunter High Rank/ G-Rank large monster (provided level-appropriate gear)? Except G-Rank goes into one-hit territory in the latest stages against the baddest Elder Dragons

Frontier is excluded because that just goes nuts past HR99 IIRC

Edit: Changed "every" to "most" because some monsters like to wombo-combo

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
So every Monster Hunter High Rank/ G-Rank large monster (provided level-appropriate gear)? Except G-Rank goes into one-hit territory in the latest stages against the baddest Elder Dragons

Frontier is excluded because that just goes nuts past HR99 IIRC
Vindictus was inspired by monster hunter so I'd be inclined to say that's probably accurate.

I don't know how difficult the attacks in monster hunter are to dodge though since I haven't played any of it other than the demo.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I never got into MMO's sadly so I avoided a bullet and my friend tried to get me into adventure quest online when we was in middle school.

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
Vindictus was inspired by monster hunter so I'd be inclined to say that's probably accurate.

I don't know how difficult the attacks in monster hunter are to dodge though since I haven't played any of it other than the demo.
Usually you can get by without the Evade+ skills provided adequate spacing. Pretty much every monster move has an adequate tell, but it isn't so apparent or slow as to let you dodge anything. The hardest moves to dodge are usually telegraphed and/or can be avoided with a superman dive and the monster's cooldown is enough to let you get back up

Not to mention that the few attacks that ever cover an entire area are usually pretty simple to dodge with good timing like a Gravios heat laser

To show you an example against what I speak of, here's an obligatory MH Frontier Super Saiyan 3 Rajang Spirit Bomb area nuke

Edit: Actually that is somewhat plausible design... the attack itself is quite visible and isn't too delayed from the initial obvious startup. It's only so powerful because Frontier

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Edit: Actually that is somewhat plausible design... the attack itself is quite visible and isn't too delayed from the initial obvious startup. It's only so powerful because Frontier
I noticed he took a dive and evaded that damage. Is that his dodge. I hope it is. That's stellar.

And for a move like that I'd end up learning how long it takes for impact after it's thrown. It's okay as far as design goes, but it mostly depends on how long the attack lasts as opposed to the frames of the character's dodges.

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
I noticed he took a dive and evaded that damage. Is that his dodge. I hope it is. That's stellar.

And for a move like that I'd end up learning how long it takes for impact after it's thrown. It's okay as far as design goes, but it mostly depends on how long the attack lasts as opposed to the frames of the character's dodges.
The superman dive is a dodge, yes. It's a last resort dodge with lots of invincibility frames that can only be done while running away from a large monster with your weapon sheathed

Last edited:

ONLYUSEmeFEET

Smash Rookie
PM version 1.0 confirmed.

So I booted up my modded skyrim. I've got graphical overhauls, stuff that adds in immersive weapons and armor, more weapons and armor, a loot de-leveler(so loot now makes sense where you find it) overhaul, an enemy level overhaul(makes enemies vary by region and not be leveled), some immersion mods adding in food and drink requirements, disease overhauls, and assorted other things to make the game more interesting and a better RPG experience.
But then I remembered that the characters are boring, the writing is sub-par, and the quests are all really dull.
Can't wait until Skywind finishes development so I can play through Morrowind again.
I need to get into modding Skyrim but am too stubborn to play the game without mods first. Thing is I find the base game boring so nothing gets done. :/

Lizalfos

Smash Master
you know what i hated about the mmo scene after 2012
3 seconds after sword art online is out people start "soloing" and playing like a "lone wolf"
WELL JEEZ LETS JUST PLAY THIS
MASSIVE
MULTIPLAYER
ONLINE GAME
AND PLAY ALONE YEAH THAT'TLE MAKE ME LOOK COOL INFRONT OF ALL THOSE GIRLS WHO ARE ACTUALLY GUYS
shoutouts to elsword and aura kingdom
I wanted my friends to get into Planetside but they all own potatoes.
I lone wolfed for awhile because the scale was cool and there was appeal to being against a massive force and sniping people and destroying their vehicles but it just got lonely and I had friends who liked Dota 2

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
The superman dive is a dodge, yes. It's a last resort dodge with lots of invincibility frames that can only be done while running away from a large monster with your weapon sheathed
So I actually bothered to watch a bit of that fight.

What the **** lol.

Those punches are relentless and the character (That the recorder was playing as) seems to have no way to react with those extremely long hit delays. And judging from the length of the fight, if they were to play it safe, they wouldn't be able to dish out enough damage to even kill him in time without risking their lives with those instantaneous backward hops, well projected (But not enough time to react if already in a bad position) lasers, among other things.

That spirit bomb was probably the LEAST dangerous thing I saw in that fight.

Especially with 6:25-6:30 existing.
close to no warning, almost no time to react. I hope the roll's i-frames are active right from the start or there is no evading that.

Last edited:

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
So I actually bothered to watch a bit of that fight.

What the **** lol.

Those punches are relentless and the character (That the recorder was playing as) seems to have no way to react with those extremely long hit delays. And judging from the length of the fight, if they were to play it safe, they wouldn't be able to dish out enough damage to even kill him in time without risking their lives with those instantaneous backward hops, well projected (But not enough time to react if already in a bad position) lasers, among other things.

That spirit bomb was probably the LEAST dangerous thing I saw in that fight.

Especially with 6:25-6:30 existing.
close to no warning, almost no time to react. I hope the roll's i-frames are active right from the start or there is no evading that.
All evades are invulnerable right at the start of the animation, yes, with Evade+ skills increasing the i-frames

Again, Frontier is probably the poorest example of monster design lol

Edit: Doesn't help that this monster is one of the fastest attackers, being all DBZ and stuff

Last edited:
Top Bottom