• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
What else have they done?
Taken down a butt-ton of music on Youtube, shut down Jourdal's channel (he's opened another one since then, and they haven't come after him), and a few other things. The reason why I say they're worse is because sometimes they can be so anal when other companies aren't.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I preordered Xrd back in like May. Now I don't have to worry about that ****.

Sakurai doesn't like characters having good projectiles. That's why Samus' missiles are weak as **** and can't have more than one Super Missile on screen at once, Falco's lasers take a year to fire and put away, and newer characters like Greninja and Palutena have theirs not as good as they could be.
Yeah, projectiles in smash 4 require a lot more commitment than in previous games. No more laser spam, no more missile cancelling, nuthin

Although I will say that Samus' Relentless missiles are hella gahlike.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Well one of my personal favorites has always been Melty Blood. There are lots of reasons and this game simply put has some of the most robust mechanics of any fighter, but its somewhat saturated by its air counterhit system. For instance with rebeating you can cancel any normal into another normal, so long as you obey the rule "Once per string." However you can circumvent this rule by whiffing normals in front of the opponent. This makes the blockstring game extremely open, and is almost like you're playing neutral as you push the advantage much like you might in Smash. Did I mention the game has teching pretty similar to smash too? And a shielding system similar to parrying but much less broken.

Then there are games like Jojos and KoF. Both have short hops, and really interesting pressure. Jojos stand system is basically like Marvel assists on crack. Not to mention I think Smash fundamentals carry over somewhat to KoF. I believe Leffen made it out of his pools for it at Evo.

IaMP is my favorite game dead game though. Because it takes just about every fundamental rule you could apply in fighting games and interprets it in a really interesting way. With bullets replacing anti-airs, pressure resets, traps etc. all in an intuitive fashion. You like 50/50 mix-ups? How about doing them practically ALL the time, while spacing with ridiculously low airdashes and managing spirit and bombs. Yet it somehow manages to be really fair and skill-based on top of its absurd ceiling and crazy mechanics.
I'd need to see some videos, but i'm interested.

This is the best I could find in 30 seconds since I'm being called to help in the house haha. There was another video but that was like 51 mins long and I didn't want to overwhelm.
I got a "complex" feeling from the examples you listed, and the cute (and unfortunately) underaged dog girl's curb stomping made it hard to see the freeform-ness.

If i could request another video, that would be great.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
People still sleeping on Mega Man I see lol.
Sorry lol. Mega Man is pretty underrated and I like it that way lol. If I play Mega Man more it would just to time people out or get close to and hit people with his godly up tilt.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I'd need to see some videos, but i'm interested.
I feel like just watching videos without first understanding the game is one of the main reasons people have misconceptions about games. But you can watch a ton of Melty videos here if you really wish: https://www.youtube.com/user/MeltyBread/videos

Also these are some of my favorite IaMP matches:

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Ah thank god, I thought that Scarlet was going to drop that game. What little I've played of it, Scarlet was by far my favorite.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
@SpiderMad, there's a glitch in PM that will input jump-direction with the c-stick if it is hit during jumpsquat, it's actually fairly easy to do with Ike lol.

@Strongbad I wouldn't say 100% of the time, nor would I say the shield counter play is as insignificant as you make it out to be, (since you can interfere with fast-fall timings as well) but it is hard to argue against the reality of the mechanic. It is an artificial and arbitrary chance of failure in the current meta, though its' original intent was far from what it has become.

It reminds me alot of rng failure chances that you can actually control and influence, or unintuitive and abstract button inputs for certain moves and combo's in traditional 2D fighters. In any case, in its' current form it certainly has alot of parallels to mechanics in other games, though that isn't necessarily a good thing lol.
Ah well, it is kind of interesting how combos in melee were made possible through ONE arbitrary input as opposed to the dozens that can be required in more traditional fighters, it really does make for a very simplified and unique risk-reward/ arbitrary failure-chance mechanic when compared to 2D's. (though the sometimes odd inputs in 2D's are justifiable through a lack of proper (more intuitive and interactive) input devices)
/enduselessrambling

Edit: To be clear I don't love L-canceling, though I find it interesting, nor would I mind if it were removed. I do, however, take issue with people calling it a poor mechanic or bad game design as it has to many parallels to far more contrived mechanics in other games to be called as such.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
The reason it inputs jump direction is because the way the C-Stick works is that it's Attack (or Smash) + Direction. During jumpsquat attack is ignored since you can't do it but the direction is still inputted.

If I remember right anyway.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I got a "complex" feeling from the examples you listed, and the cute (and unfortunately) underaged dog girl's curb stomping made it hard to see the freeform-ness.

If i could request another video, that would be great.
The complexity in the mechanics grants the players numerous options of the movement, combo, oki, reset variety. It's fairly common for combos not to be the same.

My bro knows this game a lot better than me so he'd have a better idea what to look for, so if this doesnt help then I'll just ask him.

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
J Stars isn't as intricate as these other games are, it's a basic 3D fighter. Think of the combat being similar to the DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi games with less flying for the most part.

Jechtire

Smash Cadet
J-Stars is amazing, too bad they didn't continue supporting it. Also they really should have let you adjust KO counts because first-to-3 1v1 takes way too long.

zman804

Smash Ace
Today was awesome, I woke up at 6am on a couch with a smashfest still going on. Walked 3 feet to a tv and 3 stocked someone.

I'm so thankful for this game and community.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Can't believe I forgot to say this but Happy Thanksgiving folks. I'll leave this here for ya'll

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Anime fighters pretty much reached their peak with Guilty Gear and Hokuto no Ken. I have nothing against the other ones, but the My Little Waifu fighters need to go already.

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Why don't we round up all the waifu fighters and push them off a cliff?

Edit: Better idea. Ship them up to the Sun.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Sonic Crackers 2 was an experiment that was supposed to Show Off the 32X's capabilities IIRC. Also, I'm not sure what you meant by Sega had no clue what they were doing with Chaotix. Could you elaborate?
For starters, it was on the 32X, an addon that cost around $160 on release, more expensive than the console that was required to run it. (Genesis was around $150 at the time)
When I say it was when they had no idea what they were doing, I'm referencing all their failed consoles and addons intended to keep them going yet ended up costing them money. Although, the game's physics certainly are kind of loopy and simple things are made unnecessarily difficult when a partner character ends up dragging you around more often than not (unless you pick the guy up and try to pretend that you're playing an actual Sonic game). The game not having an ending and instead cutting straight to the credits at the end instead (even with every chaos ring) just adds to feeling like they just threw it together after being somewhat satisfied with it.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
The first Jurassic Park is amazing. It is stupid enough to be smart.

Lol I meant to ask what codeset to USB load.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Get rid of all the waifu fighters, sure. Better not touch skull girls though, if you mess with my ms. Fortune I'll send you angry emails.

where's my anime husbando fighter though?

Top Bottom