• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Depends on the context. Yeah it can be a baddie like the TLC song "No Scrubs" but in gaming it is also used for something more specific.

Like the second definition in urban dictionary.

scrub
"A scrub is a now generalized term used as a synonym for a "noob" or "newb," which is someone who is bad at a video game or activity in general.

Most of the definitions here, surprisingly, have nothing to do with the actual term. The original definition is related to a person who makes a mistake in a video game, which is such a bad mistake that it is clearly wrong, yet they persist in making it. The term derives from Street Fighter II, to describe some players that were so bad that they would mash their hands across the control pad, an act known as "scrubbing," because it relates to scrubbing a car or other object with a sponge. Thus they were deemed "scrubbers," or "scrubs" for short. Over time this term expanded throughout the gaming world, and then the real world, and lost its original meaning."

And then from there you can say someone who isn't trying their best for whatever reason is playing scrubby, which is how it's been used too in a competitive context.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
I can't wait for Sm4sh for Wii U
Because it comes with a gamecube controller, and I need a new one for PM

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
@strongbad - fly amanita made it clear that he did not attend the tournament specifically on the premise that his character was arbitrarily nerfed, so there's your one example. otherwise i agree with your post.

as an aside, i also disagree with the wobbling removal. that said, when we did the latest rule set in the MBR in like 2009, we were also deadlocked and simply chose to not address it in the rule set to leave it something of an open-ended question. juggleguy was entirely in his right to ban it.
Just to clarify:

#1. Initially I argued that there exist some attendees who are more willing to attend due to wobbling banned
#2. Strong Bad states that he has never heard of attendees who are more willing to attend due to wobbling banned

The wording is a bit jumbled in his post, but I think that's what we are both trying to say. I still maintain my opinion (#1) based on what I've seen at locals and regionals (maybe not nationals...) but in any case, it's extremely difficult to find any examples because people don't speak out from that side of the fence very often.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
no wobbling and 3 stock pm with melee running 2 hours over what u doin juggleguy
3 stock PM was in the best interests of this tournament. It's not necessarily what's best PM overall (I'm not qualified to speak on that), but I can assure you it was what's best for TBH4.

Several factors contribute to the running time of a tournament:
#1. Number of setups
#2. Venue size, floor plan efficiency, etc.
#3. TO staff manpower
#4. Average gameplay time

We had #1 and #2 taken care of, to the greatest efficiency that anyone could reasonably expect. Those areas essentially couldn't have been improved. #3 was a bit of a concern because most of my own recruited TO staff was working the Melee side, but it still ended up very good thanks to Strong Bad and Rat and others. The only factor left was #4, which really had to be addressed in order to ensure that PM finished each wave on the Day 1 schedule in a similar amount of time that Melee finished (and it did). Multi-game schedules contain a huge number of constraints and requirements that must be met.

People will complain about 3 stock PM in hindsight, claiming that it was a cop out, but in reality, that couldn't be further from the truth. We could have run bracket pools on Day 1 and stream significantly fewer matches on Day 2 under the 4 stock ruleset. Or we could do what we did, which was run round robin pools on Day 1 and stream significantly more matches on Day 2 under the 3 stock ruleset. To me, the choice is obvious given the boost in both in-person attendee experience and stream viewer experience. It wasn't a cop out. It was a necessary adjustment based on the Day 1 tournament schedule, and one that even produced more matches for in-person attendees and more matches for stream viewers as a positive side effect.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Put it simply, a scrub is a person who thinks he's really good at the game, but he's not. Don't know who he is or know if he's even gone to tournaments, but it won't stop him from ******** about X character in the Tier List Speculation thread because they're so cheap he can't beat him. Rather than taking responsibility for himself and realizing he should improve, he'll look for other factors of the game to blame. In his mind, he's always the victim, and thus never feels the need to get better.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
So, in smash 4 Charizard has no wing hurtboxes.

PMDT Pls, that thing just floats over his back (well, BOTH of them) and they're just free mario sized targets for random jank

D

Deleted member

Just to clarify:

#1. Initially I argued that there exist some attendees who are more willing to attend due to wobbling banned
#2. Strong Bad states that he has never heard of attendees who are more willing to attend due to wobbling banned

The wording is a bit jumbled in his post, but I think that's what we are both trying to say. I still maintain my opinion (#1) based on what I've seen at locals and regionals (maybe not nationals...) but in any case, it's extremely difficult to find any examples because people don't speak out from that side of the fence very often.
You should temporarily change your name to Juggle Man since I heard that like 50 times over the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

so random aside-

last night mango was streaming all star mode, and the stream kept telling him to play donkey kong, and he was like **** no i don't want to play donkey kong. then he changed his mind and said fine if i get 10 subs in the next 10 minutes i'll do it but otherwise no i'm not doing it. so he got like 6 subs in 6 minutes and he was like fine i'll play donkey kong i ****in hate you guys. so he pops out smash and puts in donkey kong country 2, which is hilarious, but then he puts up a strawpoll for whether to play DK in melee or DK2 (i voted dk2) and it was tied at like 200 vs 200 votes dead even the whole way.

so anyway i looked up the game which is apparently really hard. however, i also found this, which surprised me for good it was, so i thought i'd share it here:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If PM was 4 stock I simply would have run Bo3 on Loser Gets 7th and had approximately the same overall time for top 8 than what happened.
PM Round Robin pools were also finishing within 70 minutes on average day one, adding an extra stock would have been around 25-30% extra time would have made the pools last around an hour and a half. Melee's RR pools were the only ones finishing up late (as were the doubles bracket pools by a more significant margin). The main point of contention with 3 vs 4 stock for the day was when running bracket pools during Phase 2, and only because we goofed and some players were in both Melee and PM at the same time (Porkchops for example). Otherwise I'm fully convinced a 4-stock format would have also had no issues with completing on time at TBH4. I guess it's a good thing we did 3 stock in hindsight because of those issues though haha. But 3 stock Melee would have resolved any time constraint issues as well.

Max what the **** is this video

Last edited:

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I made a quick notecard app for myself to help with studying. It asks you random questions. I'll add more features later like keeping track of what you got right and wrong. It's really barebones at the moment and all questions/answers are hardcoded instead of loaded from a text file but I'll do that later as well. If anyone wants it after I finish cleaning it up and adding those features I'd be more than happy to share it. I just didn't want to waste time looking around online to find an app I'd like since most of them only do like 80% of what I want. :p

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Sharin I'd add you but I already quit the game, at least online.
I've never gotten this salty playing smash, but its impossible to punish rolls online with jiggs even though you KNOW ITS GOING TO HAPPEN. Lag+buffered options+great invicibility frames on every roll+jiggs bad hitboxes makes so much salt.

I forgot what it was like to main a bad character in a smash game, I dont like having bad match ups ;_;

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I'm watching Evangelion.

Shinji is a whiny little ****

Asuka is a whiny little ****

Rei is a predictable Rei Clone

Everyone in this show is unlikable

As of 20 episodes in, I still think Bokurano is a better show.

Man the Seinfeld effect is just ruining this show for me.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
I'm watching Evangelion.

Shinji is a whiny little ****

Asuka is a whiny little ****

Rei is a predictable Rei Clone

Everyone in this show is unlikable
HOLY JESUS, THAT IS THE POINT! It's a shonen where the main character isn't an overly cocky and confident super badass that can do everything like most shows; Shinji is afraid and full of self-doubt. Everyone has their own personality flaws and downfalls, and the show shows and plays on them, it's awesome once you realize that.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
HOLY JESUS, THAT IS THE POINT! It's a shonen where the main character isn't an overly cocky and confident super badass that can do everything like most shows; Shinji is afraid and full of self-doubt. Everyone has their own personality flaws and downfalls, and the show shows and plays on them, it's awesome once you realize that.
Or you just don't like it because of that.

It sounds like it would just be annoying to watch. Flawed characters are fine, but having so many flaws to where it's not enjoyable to watch the characters develop just makes it not worth watching.

Of course unless you're in it for the deep and complex plots. (Assumption. I haven't watched it, so I don't know if it's deep and complex)

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I finally finished Ippo, for reals this time. Really enjoyable, I want to read the manga now.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
kailexkun do you have smash 4?

also all yall punkass nerds wont see my pocket luigi

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Haha it's not a deconstruction of the shounen genre, it's just Anno's internalized issues with motherhood and a result of his depression. Actually I'm not even sure it's shounen. The show is what it is, it's a weird, self-contained ride.
It sounds like it would just be annoying to watch. Flawed characters are fine, but having so many flaws to where it's not enjoyable to watch the characters develop just makes it not worth watching.
What
You know there's a whole genre of main character whose entire purpose is for you to not like them. They're called anti-heroes, and I fail to see how they're any less interesting than someone you'd have a beer with. Surely you were forced to read Catcher in the Rye at one point in your life.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
The plot isn't deep though. At least not 20 episodes in. All we have is a bunch of mystery and psychedelia and Freudian sit. Like we get it, Shinji is attracted to all these chicks plz stop. Yeah we know he had daddy issues plz stop. He's just this depressed kid with no interest in anything, which I totally empathize with, but the show doesn't explore that. Instead it gives him a harem and tells him to get in the robot.

The show is trying to do too much at once atm. There's Shinji's problems, and Ritsuko's problems, and Misato's problems, and government conspiracies, and robot fights, and they're trying to fit romantic subtext and character development and humor into all of this mess. It's just a mess. It's interesting, because I really empathize with Shinji's plight, but there's too much other **** going on.

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
Or you just don't like it because of that.

Of course unless you're in it for the deep and complex plots. (Assumption. I haven't watched it, so I don't know if it's deep and complex)
There's definitely good character development.

Sry I just love Evangelion, it was pretty much the first anime I really watched so it's kinda special to me.

The plot is interesting but isn't really deep imo, although it gives off a false sense of being so. What's deep is its use of symbolism and the emotional development of the characters.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
What
You know there's a whole genre of main character whose entire purpose is for you to not like them. They're called anti-heroes, and I fail to see how they're any less interesting than someone you'd have a beer with.
It's probably because Spike Spiegel spoils us.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
3.33 english dub needs to come out already ;_;

Eva is one of those shows where you need to stick with it until the end to be able to appreciate it. Through out the series Shinji makes it extremely hard for you to sympathize and even tolerate him because of how little he develops as a character, but the ending serves as the ultimate payoff because he finally changes. The same goes for all of the other characters as well, but in the end it's really a story about Shinji finding self-worth.

All the other parts of Evagelion like the angels, evas, human instrumentality project, etc. don't really matter- they just exist to advance Shinji's plot and eventually end it. Other than that, I guess they exist to keep you hooked to the series because of how much they make you crave information which I personally enjoy being able to speculate about.

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
3.33 english dub needs to come out already ;_;

Eva is one of those shows where you need to stick with it until the end to be able to appreciate it. Through out the series Shinji makes it extremely hard for you to sympathize and even tolerate him because of how little he develops as a character, but the ending serves as the ultimate payoff because he finally changes. The same goes for all of the other characters as well, but in the end it's really a story about Shinji finding self-worth.

All the other parts of Evagelion like the angels, evas, human instrumentality projoect, etc. don't really matter- they just exist to advance Shinji's plot and eventually end it. Other than that, I guess they exist to keep you hooked to the series because of how much they make you crave information which I personally enjoy speculating about.
I like this post a lot, explains it really well.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
What
You know there's a whole genre of main character whose entire purpose is for you to not like them. They're called anti-heroes, and I fail to see how they're any less interesting than someone you'd have a beer with. Surely you were forced to read Catcher in the Rye at one point in your life.
I honestly didn't know how to respond to this. Couldn't find the right words for like a good 7 minutes.
Hell I still don't think I have the right words.

Just because a character is an anti hero doesn't make them have significant enough flaws to where they are unlikable, and not every anti hero that is unlikable is done badly either. They might do things in the story that make you dislike them, not because they are badly written, but because their actions make you angry. Usually a good balance is found among the characters but if it's not it can make the show less interesting.

Shinji, in this context sounds like he would be annoying to watch. Not to say that he is badly written though.
Considering the rest of the cast from what I've been told as well, it would probably make the show less enjoyable.

Nonetheless, I haven't watched it yet, so I still have no final judgement anyway.

Eva is one of those shows where you need to stick with it until the end to be able to appreciate it.
I'll keep that in mind whenever I actually watch it.

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
The symbolism seems pretty shallow to me. There's a **** ton of crosses and allusions to the bible and Freudian/Jungian psychology, but nothing I've found remarkable. Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei are shows you should watch if you want to see symbolism in anime.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
so random aside-

last night mango was streaming all star mode, and the stream kept telling him to play donkey kong, and he was like **** no i don't want to play donkey kong. then he changed his mind and said fine if i get 10 subs in the next 10 minutes i'll do it but otherwise no i'm not doing it. so he got like 6 subs in 6 minutes and he was like fine i'll play donkey kong i ****in hate you guys. so he pops out smash and puts in donkey kong country 2, which is hilarious, but then he puts up a strawpoll for whether to play DK in melee or DK2 (i voted dk2) and it was tied at like 200 vs 200 votes dead even the whole way.

so anyway i looked up the game which is apparently really hard. however, i also found this, which surprised me for good it was, so i thought i'd share it here:

Wait so what did he play in the end, lol?

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Dawgs I play Falco he's a bad character in smash 4 lololol.

Not really people just write him off too quickly cause of the nerfs. Guess I'm repenting for my top tier sins for playing Falco two games back to back. At least Robin is hella fun outside of run speed, dash speed and grab range.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Idk man, I think Falco and MK are kinda booty in Smash 4.

Also, Evangelion is okay. As far as anti-heroes go, however, Shinji really isn't that well-written.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
The symbolism is nonexistent, it doesn't mean ****. It's definitely the most disappointing part of the show imo.

Also if you're gonna try the series, make sure to watch everything in chronological order. Don't just skip to Rebuild despite it being much better, and don't skip the original ending of the show either.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Falco fair has more landing lag than knee.

Take already bad move + give it a **** ton of lag = amazing design. Ty based Sakuri

Bleck

Smash Master
shinji isn't an 'anti-hero', and everyone here's opinions of evangelion's symbolism is wrong

stop having bad opinons and stop watching ****ty anime

also falco's fair isn't bad, you're just using it wrong

Top Bottom