• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
good evening, thread

reading the hitbox chat for big balc is painfully depressing. idk what it says about the community that so many ppl still talk in "but what if this was changed" in a game that's never being changed again, but I can't say it's particularly positive. it's never "well, piss, snake exists, we should find a way to deal with that", it's always "well if this or this was fixed we wouldn't be here but that isn't happening, let's give up I guess"

at least phresh is fun to watch

Mystletaynn

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mystletaynn
3DS FC
3909-8402-8213
good evening, thread

reading the hitbox chat for big balc is painfully depressing. idk what it says about the community that so many ppl still talk in "but what if this was changed" in a game that's never being changed again, but I can't say it's particularly positive. it's never "well, piss, snake exists, we should find a way to deal with that", it's always "well if this or this was fixed we wouldn't be here but that isn't happening, let's give up I guess"

at least phresh is fun to watch
Solution: Everyone switches to Snake. /s

Love Phresh too <3

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
PM is ok, but it's a mod with flaws becoming way more apparent as people play. Surprise surprise, it's (almost every) fighting game ever

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
being so reliant on potential future patches that you can only talk about theoretical future patches that won't ever happen isn't a flaw with the game, no

e: jesus god almighty, jose is good

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I mean ya people hoping, asking, or speculating on theory world changes are dumb at this point. Game is done, talk about future of this patch AKA bleaker future than people want to admit (not scene wise, character wise)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
PM future = people still keep playing, but hardly newer or weaker players remaining. Because lets face it, PM is very prone to be offputting. If Devs couldn't fully grasp the design consequences of xyz, how is Frank89 going to feel when he gets smacked in the face by it? Probably not gonna be enjoyable, hard sell at that point to remain in the scene shelling out time and money.

So the future is people who aren't so bothered by xyz, playing others who feel the same way, and it will probably go on for awhile doing fine.

Mystletaynn

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mystletaynn
3DS FC
3909-8402-8213
After that unfortunate winner's finals ending, watching June grab the clean 6-0 was very satisfying.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
I was only mad about the stupid music pack
on the balcony stream

omg
20 second loops
let alone hip hop
please never again

after 5 sets I was done with it
I didn't watch grand finals because I was so annoyed (and couldn't be bothered to pay attention to diddy snake on mute)

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
pm music packs are usually just ****ty game music and soundcloud rips

like jesus christ does no one in the community listen to music not composed for games????

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
pm music packs are usually just ****ty game music and soundcloud rips

like jesus christ does no one in the community listen to music not composed for games????
Implying that most (keyword for the triggered) non-game mainstream music isn't absolute garbage these days. I got enough throw-up in my mouth from listening to a lot of that cringeworthy stuff while working as Kohl's. I sure don't need it in my games. XD

And I'm pretty sure there's nothing weird about people putting game music in...well, games. ¦D (Though, I do like to add in OSTs of anime and TV shows and some completely original composed music by unknown folks as well.)

Though admittedly, I don't think I've heard too many PM music packs at a tourney that I liked. -.o

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Just set your c stick to attack and you can do aerials however you please unless you have a cronic need for c-stick smashes. The bowling ball can be very hard to challenge since a lot of times you have stop it preemptively, but it's somewhat balanced out by its start up.
The point is the Nair thing is dumb though

somewhat balanced .-.

starts in like 15 frames

Might've been someone else. idk

Life

Smash Hero
Lead Composer is pretty much my dream job title, soooooooooo

Part of the problem with mainstream music is that any individual track remotely catchy or fun to listen to will get driven into the ground faster than a newly-acquired Activision IP. (Cough Undertale on PM builds cough.) Formulas exist because they work well enough to be useful--look at a lot of popular game series like Zelda, Pokemon, CoD, and to some extent JRPGs. Clearly formula pop works for a decently large chunk of the population, especially the kind that rarely get exposed to other kinds of music enough to appreciate that the formula exists. Speaking as a not-particularly-critical human being, it's really hard to notice something is wrong until you see it done right.

Pop music is corrupt in a lot of ways, but a lot of that has to do with copyright, celebrity culture, etc. things that are auxiliary to the compositional aspect. See also: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/10/hit-charade/403192/ Formula pop has never really done it for me, but when someone tells me they like pop, rather than just pooping on their tastes, I'll just be enthusiastic about my own. People respond well to honest enthusiasm; if I can use that to enrich their lives with new kinds of music, well, that'd be much better.

I'm still adding to my own PM music pack as my tastes change and my tunes get old. The dream is to write original music for my PM build, eventually, but that might take a while <.<

I guess what I'm getting at is that there's room for a lot of different kinds of music. We're the vocal minority, here; everything wrong with modern music to us is barely noticable to huge swaths of the population. If you really wanna change the way it works, start broadening people's horizons. Game music, film music, classical music (although I think I'm the only person willing to admit there's a lot of mediocre classical out there, it's just easily forgotten because it's a very old genre and bad music tends to fall out of public awareness after a while), stuff that mixes genres like folk metal or symphonic metal, stuff in weird time signatures, go nuts, find what you like, figure out why you like it, and share that passion with others.

20-second hip hop loops on every track sounds like a terminal ilness, though. (Today marks four years since my dad's passing, by the way.) I couldn't actually watch Big Balc correctly because no quality options (3 0 0 K B O Y Z) so I didn't even notice through all the buffering, but frankly I'd have quit watching if I had.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
PM future = people still keep playing, but hardly newer or weaker players remaining. Because lets face it, PM is very prone to be offputting. If Devs couldn't fully grasp the design consequences of xyz, how is Frank89 going to feel when he gets smacked in the face by it? Probably not gonna be enjoyable, hard sell at that point to remain in the scene shelling out time and money.

So the future is people who aren't so bothered by xyz, playing others who feel the same way, and it will probably go on for awhile doing fine.
Idk man the issue really is exacerbated by people pretending nothing is wrong. The Snake players running around saying he loses dozens of matchups, hes mid tier, "I'm just really good"/"you just need to learn the matchup" is way more annoying than Snake is to fight. It'd be a lot more negotiable if they recognized that their character is probably at least somewhat dumb, but there's nothing to be done about it. We could go with "hate the game not the player" and deal with it if the players weren't being ****ters too. I know I have personally always felt and stated that Wario is a strong character in the 3.5+ era, it prevents conflict up front because when people say Wario is really good or he has good attributes I just agree with them. More people should approach it like that and the game would have more of a future IMO.

Life

Smash Hero
Everything goes well when people agree with Strongbad

Kappa

Although I have to ask, why do people keep trying to dtilt Snake's cypher after the C4 wall tech? It's relatively easy for Snake to sweetspot under most of them and then people just get hit by the cypher (sometimes they don't even CC it and give Snake an opening to get back on stage). Once in a blue moon Snake screws it up, and then he just cyphers again and you're back to square one, plus maybe 10-30% depending on what he got hit with and whether he needed to C4 jump again.

I'm trying to theorycraft ways to kill Snake faster, since that seems to be the biggest pain point for a lot of people, aside from early C4 kills. It could be people are getting a benefit that I'm not seeing, so I figure it's best to bring it up here or on TLS.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Idk man the issue really is exacerbated by people pretending nothing is wrong. The Snake players running around saying he loses dozens of matchups, hes mid tier, "I'm just really good"/"you just need to learn the matchup" is way more annoying than Snake is to fight. It'd be a lot more negotiable if they recognized that their character is probably at least somewhat dumb, but there's nothing to be done about it. We could go with "hate the game not the player" and deal with it if the players weren't being ****ters too. I know I have personally always felt and stated that Wario is a strong character in the 3.5+ era, it prevents conflict up front because when people say Wario is really good or he has good attributes I just agree with them. More people should approach it like that and the game would have more of a future IMO.
...Hm, entirely off-topic, but I just replaced every instance of "Snake" in this post with "Bayonetta" somehow came to fully understand what people were saying and how they were feeling about her prior to 1.1.6 dropping down. Suddenly, it's not so much of an anomaly to me that it happened. Hm. o^o

Balancing fighting games is hard.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Ganon might suck but at least I don't have a hard time killing Snake

Suck it nerds

Now I just need to figure out how to actually interact with Snake...

ilysm

sleepy
Re: killing Snake; handoffs are good and f-air is a spike and that is just a little bit dumb if I'm being up front about it. Have fun dying at 20 at the ledge though. Shoutouts to Phresh for the #3 spot. ^_^

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
re: snake;

you can only say "just learn the matchup" so many times before it turns out the character is actually a problem and you've secretly been an asshole all along

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
PM is staying alive for as long as junebug has the best stage control in all of super smash bros

throw fruit at the bull **** to make it go away

Top Bottom