• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
We get it you don't like Bleck
I don't have any personal enmity towards him, I just don't think it's wise for anyone here to bother arguing with him because literally nothing good comes of trying to prove anything to him and others like him.

Vashimus

Smash Master
because i live on the second floor ;x and my job requires me to be on my feet for most of the day ;x

i also use my normal workouts to hit my core ancillarily (lulz i made up a word). you can't do squats and lunges with any sort of actual weight added if you don't keep your core tight so as to not throw out your back. same with proper pushups (which require a proper plank position, so keeping that up while doing the exercise itself is a good workout for the core), though the risk of throwing out your back is much lower with pushups.

there's also probably something to do with the fact that you generally apply a lot of weight for leg days, but you probably don't typically do a lot of added weight for core stuff? that i'm not so sure of, but most core focused exercises i know of involve bodyweight repetitions and not throwing weight on your legs/shoulders and going from there?
Same here. Squats and deadlifts already workout my core enough, so I don't really feel the need to dedicate much time on abs. Though if you feel like your lower back is weaker compared to your other parts and you're afraid of risking injury, I'd try fitting in weighted hyper-extensions three times a week.

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I don't have any personal enmity towards him, I just don't think it's wise for anyone here to bother arguing with him because literally nothing good comes of trying to prove anything to him and others like him.
how often do you trim your neckbeard.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
So I'm just fooling around in training mode cause I get bored of practicing tech real fast.

While trying to see if Olimar Up throw chaingrabs are a thing (regardless of Pikmin), I wonder why the PMDT never added DI options or tech left/normal/right/random for the CPU. Like, I know I technically could grab my second controller and do so, but then things get especially tricky when trying to test if Dtilt can connect after an Up throw at 0. I have to input the throw while holding the control stick of the second controller for DI, wait until the grab releases and then grab my other controller to input dtilt (cause I use smash cstick) within 15~ frames. I'm not plate and even if I was, I don't think it's physically possible to move your hand in that time from one controller to the other. Granted I can use cstick set to attack for this, but then I'd have to switch it back to normal when trying out smashes for follow ups after throws.

It'd make debug mode all the more potent, especially for those without (close by) friends. But dreams will stay dreams, I guess.
Just DI with your feet it's not hard once you get over the cramps

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
So I went to my first weekly today. I've always been in that awkward 'too good to play with friends, but **** against regular players' skill level. Venue had a 10 dollar door fee, then entering bracket was 10 dollars. I know you only get better by player other people, but I played friendlies for about two hours before bracket and only won a few matches. Didn't end up going into bracket to save myself the 10 dollars to being double eliminated. Do I really need to dish out about 80 bucks a month just to git gud?

Player -0

Smash Hero
DF just reminded me.

okay foot cramps with smash.

Real talk.

Couple times when I was playing Smash I was laying down and stuff so you move your legs around because you're bad as froyo.

Then you're stretching your toes/foot inwards and your foot is suddenly dying of pain and you writhe on the ground in pain.

So foot cramps from stretching your foot inwards (so to speak). Does anyone else get that?

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
So I went to my first weekly today. I've always been in that awkward 'too good to play with friends, but **** against regular players' skill level. Venue had a 10 dollar door fee, then entering bracket was 10 dollars. I know you only get better by player other people, but I played friendlies for about two hours before bracket and only won a few matches. Didn't end up going into bracket to save myself the 10 dollars to being double eliminated. Do I really need to dish out about 80 bucks a month just to git gud?
You could enter the venue and go play friendlies or MM the best players to ensure the worst habits in your play become apparent so you can get rid of em.

Or just go get bodied in bracket and analyze why. Either way works, I think 9.9

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
I think it's good to be good at imitation and look at what people who play your character better than you do that you aren't doing, and what you're doing that they aren't doing, so that you know what you're supposed to be doing if what they chose works out better, and you know what not to do if what you choose normally gets you f***ed

also applies to characters with similar attributes to yours
so a roy can learn from a marth, maybe not in combo game, but a little bit in spacing

tip: works in art too

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931

Getting better is about learning what choices are better, and then applying it. Tournament setting is generally the fastest and more brute force way of going through that process. You can also do this through friendlies with players better than you (doesn't have to be huge skill gaps, probably easier to gradually step up instead of "Hey Lunchables will play you for an hour, hope you learn everything!")

Observing people who are better than you, and even asking them questions later about xyz can give you insight. You're always a Smash Student: learn the relevant things and use them to get better. Most people looking to get better need to learn more instead of practice more. Some things admittedly are hard to learn without grinding out thousands of scenarios over and over, but most people can't play a decent neutral or get eaten up by bad personal habits. That takes a deeper analysis, nuanced levels of experience and understanding, etc until you fundamentally re-examine how you play Smash and what you should do. Otherwise, you're gonna be the Smasher who can perfectly ledge dash and L cancel but still have poor results (cause you practiced instead of adequately learning more)

Most people play how they "want" to play, not how they "should" play. Great players usually can merge the two or get lucky and have both align, otherwise they probably wouldn't be playing and enjoying Smash any longer.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I spent 13 hours straight playing HuniePop.

Went to bed at 2 o clock in the afternoon.

Nikki, Kyu, Celeste, Aiko, Momo and Beli are best girls; in that order.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Do I really need to dish out about 80 bucks a month just to git gud?
You do. The only way to get good is to fight. Fight in bracket, fight in friendlies, challenge whoever you can, and constantly challenge the best players in the room. You beat some guy 2-0 in bracket? Great, you're done with that guy; find out who just got top eight and fight that guy. I'm going to say right now that if you plan on getting good, and you really want to take this seriously (and I mean seriously, not just learning some dumbass technique with whatever character), you're going to need to pour a lot of time and a lot more than eighty dollars into it. If you're willing to practice and spend enough to get your ass beat for the years it will take to approach competency, then congratulations, you will get there. If not, have fun with casuals and bottom placements.

Constantly challenge yourself to adapt and fight the other player during your matches. The other guy isn't beating you because he can press buttons faster, or use a 'lame' strategy, or uses a stronger character (not that those aren't factors); he's beating you because he's beating you. All of your idiotic habits, your habitual nair-out-of-shield-100%-of-the-time tactic, your inability to stop doing whatever every chance you get... Your betters are always fighting you, the other guy in the chair, not his character. The key to getting better is beginning to do that.

Now, these resources are used mainly for 2D fighters, but you can apply a ton of these fundamental skills directly to Smash. These are some mentalities and more nebulous 'techniques' to be applying while you fight. Seeing the game through this lens opened up a ton of things that I never saw before. With straight up fundamentals and a solid understanding of them, you will beat that Marth who only knows wavedash > grab/f-smash/tilt/what have you. You will be able to beat that Fox who can only waveshine. You will be able to beat these players once you understand how to dissect them midmatch and apply these. Fundamentals are key. I used to think the opposite, and that technical ability was the key. Please study these, I promise they can help. I constantly go back to these after the years I've been Smashing and the entire year straight I've been playing 2D. They can help you, I promise.

Fight Game Primer (Fundamental introduction to fighters)
Footsies Handbook (How to win in Neutral; smart buttons)
Juicebox on Footsies and Whiff Punishing

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
You do. The only way to get good is to fight. Fight in bracket, fight in friendlies, challenge whoever you can, and constantly challenge the best players in the room. You beat some guy 2-0 in bracket? Great, you're done with that guy; find out who just got top eight and fight that guy. I'm going to say right now that if you plan on getting good, and you really want to take this seriously (and I mean seriously, not just learning some ******* technique with whatever character), you're going to need to pour a lot of time and a lot more than eighty dollars into it. If you're willing to practice and spend enough to get your *** beat for the years it will take to approach competency, then congratulations, you will get there. If not, have fun with casuals and bottom placements.

Constantly challenge yourself to adapt and fight the other player during your matches. The other guy isn't beating you because he can press buttons faster, or use a 'lame' strategy, or uses a stronger character (not that those aren't factors); he's beating you because he's beating you. All of your idiotic habits, your habitual nair-out-of-shield-100%-of-the-time tactic, your inability to stop doing whatever every chance you get... Your betters are always fighting you, the other guy in the chair, not his character. The key to getting better is beginning to do that.

Now, these resources are used mainly for 2D fighters, but you can apply a ton of these fundamental skills directly to Smash. These are some mentalities and more nebulous 'techniques' to be applying while you fight. Seeing the game through this lens opened up a ton of things that I never saw before. With straight up fundamentals and a solid understanding of them, you will beat that Marth who only knows wavedash > grab/f-smash/tilt/what have you. You will be able to beat that Fox who can only waveshine. You will be able to beat these players once you understand how to dissect them midmatch and apply these. Fundamentals are key. I used to think the opposite, and that technical ability was the key. Please study these, I promise they can help. I constantly go back to these after the years I've been Smashing and the entire year straight I've been playing 2D. They can help you, I promise.

Fight Game Primer (Fundamental introduction to fighters)
Footsies Handbook (How to win in Neutral; smart buttons)
Juicebox on Footsies and Whiff Punishing
nerd

Top Bottom