• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Officially renting a dorm at my university

Moving out on the 4th of January

Feels weird

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Mods finally put kibosh on my thread on PM. No reason stated. Obvious reason. No good reason. Disappointed.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Oh yeah, it's holiday time.

Shalom!
When I was working for a call center for a variety of magazines and newspapers the anglophone one we got most calls for was The Canadian Jewish News and sometimes customers would end the call with like shalom or whatever but I don't speak hebrew or yiddish or whatever so I just sat there feeling dumb and hoped they hung up

xquqx

Smash Apprentice
despite having interacted with far more jewish people irl than I have japanese people I know more japanese than I know yiddish/hebrew

and I know like next to zero japanese
Same, I go to a school that's at least 40% Jewish and know essentially zero Yiddish/hebrew.
I have taken 5 semesters of Japanese though, so I'd hope I'd know more Japanese.

Bazkip

Smash Master
When I was working for a call center for a variety of magazines and newspapers the anglophone one we got most calls for was The Canadian Jewish News and sometimes customers would end the call with like shalom or whatever but I don't speak hebrew or yiddish or whatever so I just sat there feeling dumb and hoped they hung up
lmao
Shalom means hi or bye
despite having interacted with far more jewish people irl than I have japanese people I know more japanese than I know yiddish/hebrew

and I know like next to zero japanese
It's okay I went to Jewish elementary school and I barely know any Hebrew lol

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I went to a class for Spanish and I know more Japanese than Spanish.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well you're a weeaboo so its not surprising.
Atm I know more Haitian than Japanese but in a year or two that'll be the opposite since I'm actively learning Japanese and I don't need to learn more Haitian than I already know.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Well you're a weeaboo so its not surprising.
oh
well that explains a lot lmao.
I started being a little more serious about learning Japanese then I used to be though, before I only knew how to read Katakana, Hiragana and really generic weeb words and I left it at that for a few years until a few months ago.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I can hold basic conversations but mostly passing-style conversations.

It's nice that I can talk to the workers at my local japanese market though (WHICH IS SURPRISING WE HAVE ONE IN THE HEART OF TEXSA LOL)

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I don't think I've finished reading Ender's game, I think I have a bookmark in my copy and I haven't picked it up in months.
If I end up starting it again I'll need to restart since I forgot everything already.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Bean is kinda interesting. Then he gets too big and sad face.

Yeah I read a couple of the other branch offs but it's kinda confusing where what happens.

Edit - There's a lot of them.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Regarding Orson Scott Card's work, I hate that the Bugs were
nearly made extinct because of poor communication and that I had the gall to actually want a guilt-free war of total extermination to take place.
With that said, I think it'd be more accurate that I hate myself in that regard, but that's semantics.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I took Italian for 5 years as a kid and just finished taking ITL101 for a stupid gen ed credit. I'm okay at reading it, but I'd probably sound like an idiot if I tried to converse in it.

Which sucks, cause I'm actually going to Italy for new years and would love to be able to speak to some of the fine Italian meatballs over there.

I'm thinking about asking my Italian penpal what the chicks over there think about foreigners, but she's a 15 year old girl who communicates through her dad's email...

Player -0

Smash Hero
Regarding Orson Scott Card's work, I hate that the Bugs were
nearly made extinct because of poor communication and that I had the gall to actually want a guilt-free war of total extermination to take place.
With that said, I think it'd be more accurate that I hate myself in that regard, but that's semantics.
the Bugs (don't remember exact name of them) were the aggressors. By all accounts trying to expand and destroy a species (mankind) was an act of war. Whether there were innocents was questionable as well due to the fact that the queen controlled all of them and the queen made the decision to attempt to take over Earth/surrounding when it's space and it's friggen huge (infinite is questionable but huge isn't big enough).

Poor communication wasn't the only problem I think. Considering they (bugs) had instantaneous messaging via telepathy and was able to communicate with Ender later on. The queen realized she messed up later in the book and was like, have young queen that hopefully won't mess up and you guys can be happy.

I might've forgotten something though.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
the Bugs (don't remember exact name of them) were the aggressors. By all accounts trying to expand and destroy a species (mankind) was an act of war. Whether there were innocents was questionable as well due to the fact that the queen controlled all of them and the queen made the decision to attempt to take over Earth/surrounding when it's space and it's friggen huge (infinite is questionable but huge isn't big enough).
Poor communication wasn't the only problem I think. Considering they (bugs) had instantaneous messaging via telepathy and was able to communicate with Ender later on. The queen realized she messed up later in the book and was like, have young queen that hopefully won't mess up and you guys can be happy.
See, that's just it. The humans
DIDN'T see their war of annihilation through to the end
and I'm disappointed that they didn't. Disappointed. I want you to think about that for a moment and shudder at only logical conclusion to this sort of thing, because I have thought about it, and what me being like that says about my integrity(more like the the utter lack thereof, amirite) is something that will never not bother me.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486

The Formics (Buggers)
Didnt realize at first that Humans were different from them (males being drone like and controlled by a queen) and were all as unique as a queen. Because of this they thought they were just establishing themselves through superiority by killing off drones (humans in this case)z They didnt realize Humans were unique until AFTER the second invasion, by which time they realized they would never be able to stop the humans. While they tried to communicate with Ender, they werent able to do so effectively as the formics didnt understand human thought very well (generally words, as formics communicate in instantaneous ideas) so they created the egg Ender finds in the end, in hopes that he would be able to revive their species later on as a backup.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I took Italian for 5 years as a kid and just finished taking ITL101 for a stupid gen ed credit. I'm okay at reading it, but I'd probably sound like an idiot if I tried to converse in it.

Which sucks, cause I'm actually going to Italy for new years and would love to be able to speak to some of the fine Italian meatballs over there.

I'm thinking about asking my Italian penpal what the chicks over there think about foreigners, but she's a 15 year old girl who communicates through her dad's email...
The only way to get better at conversing in it is to sound like an idiot while practicing. :D

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

Why would you let that stop you Kappa

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I went to a class for Spanish and I know more Japanese than Spanish.
My dad and his siblings are all native speakers, as is my stepmom, of Spanish. I also took five years of spanish in school.

All I can do is contextually translate up to midlevel sentences and not speak like a pinche gringo with the words and phrases I do know ;x

Guess that counts for something...

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
managed to sleep for six hours on the weirdest incline I've ever slept. in terms of a six hour rest it was definitely one of the better ones I've had tho, so it worked I suppose???

modern medicine is amazing, now I'm only in a lot of pain instead of mind-numbing pain

Top Bottom