• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

SunJester

Smash Ace
In a world where morality is really grey, hard to figure out, and can change at any time, its fun to have a game where the morals are absolute and the only consequence is your progression is halted.

Its simple, and cathartic.

Video Games can be a great way to make us question ethics though, its just nice to run around and murder everything in sight sometimes. Like that skeleton in Castlevania, I don't care if its sentient because in the context of the game you have the moral authority to destroy everything to save the world from Dracula. There's no consequence for destroying all the enemies because there doesn't need to be.

But yeah, if you want to have a moral system its cool though. Just don't make it "genocidal maniac" and "pretty much jesus himself" as the options. Moral grey stuff is neat too.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I realized I'm really bad at Undertale, died 11 times to Undyne just now, should have brought more than one healing item...
undermeme.png

edit: oh I could have just backtracked to a store, I'm very smrt

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
But yeah, if you want to have a moral system its cool though. Just don't make it "genocidal maniac" and "pretty much jesus himself" as the options. Moral grey stuff is neat too.
there's an entire not-good-or-bad ending with dozens of variations tho

SunJester

Smash Ace
I haven't played undertale yet, but it seems like a lot of the game is built upon morality which is fine.

The example I think of when I think of bad moral systems is the first Bioshock. "Do you want to save this child from her sickness, and give her a chance in the world?" Or "Do you want to harvest the living lifeforce out of a corrupted, sick child for your own personal gain?" Its awful. A better choice would be "Let the sick, murderous child free and she might murder someone but maybe she's happy?" Or "Put her out of her misery" thats more "moral grey" to me. Regardless I hate half-assed morality systems.

Undertale seems good tho.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I think I've come to the conclusion that I can't make a PMDepot video with my face on it (vlog/talking), I need to keep talking about honest but crazy sounding stuff (or even crazy jokes/humor).

I really do want to make some videos that are vlog like, but I guess I might just do audio.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I think I've come to the conclusion that I can't make a PMDepot video with my face on it (vlog/talking), I need to keep talking about honest but crazy sounding stuff (or even crazy jokes/humor) : and linking that easily to my identity could possibly wreck havok on my career or something.

I really do want to make some videos that are vlog like, but I guess I might just do audio.

This countries got such evilness and ignorance goin on with circumcision
if the mods havent retroactively censored all your circumcision talk already you're probably fine

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I'm so happy it was Nairo that was the one to be the one behind fifty-six and one.

hello all, im new to project m please treat me well
Sup nerd. Who's your favorite wrestler and why is it both John Cena and Roman Reigns?

Last edited:

Mystletaynn

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mystletaynn
3DS FC
3909-8402-8213
I haven't played undertale yet, but it seems like a lot of the game is built upon morality which is fine.

The example I think of when I think of bad moral systems is the first Bioshock. "Do you want to save this child from her sickness, and give her a chance in the world?" Or "Do you want to harvest the living lifeforce out of a corrupted, sick child for your own personal gain?" Its awful. A better choice would be "Let the sick, murderous child free and she might murder someone but maybe she's happy?" Or "Put her out of her misery" thats more "moral grey" to me. Regardless I hate half-***** morality systems.

Undertale seems good tho.
A really good morality system I've encountered was Armored Core: For Answer's progression. There's an intended route to start with, but the other side the game presents is legitimately and logically sound, basing it more off of protecting human life vs. the best interests of humanity for the future (of course, there's also a third, more hidden, psychopathic route that ends up as the 'extra hard mode', but regardless). The choices you make aren't made to be seen as good versus evil, but rather what decisions you feel would be best for both yourself and for humanity, and it was quite a powerful experience.

SunJester

Smash Ace
I liked Dark Souls for morality. I mean, you're spending half the time wondering what is going on, and what is the point of all this. The lore really doesn't tell you what the right choice is in the long run. I remember when I encountered the Moonlit Butterfly I was like, I don't want to kill it! Same with Sif, especially when he gets weak he moves slower and limps around, I think he was just protecting something.

However I still murdered everything in that game because it was fun to fight bosses and I wanted to fight more bosses.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Never really a fan of morality in games since they're rarely ever executed well. The problem with labeling paths as good or evil is that, from any one individual's perspective, he himself is never evil. Everyone thinks they're at least decent people at heart, no matter what they do, and have explanations for his actions, no matter what they are. They are very, very few people in the world that would outright consider themselves to be terrible human beings, yet almost everyone out there is convinced bad people exist. Actor-observer bias.

I'll agree that the Souls games have a pretty nice way of going about it. You feel like an insignificant little fly thrown into a hostile and engrossing world where you had to do what you had to do to survive. Most NPCs are pretty indifferent to your presence and have their own agendas, and there's no police or anything, so the player is free to set their own morals on what they consider right and wrong, and deal with whatever consequences that may come with that. Characters like Lautrec, Yurt, and Patches toy with player expectations, and shows you that being nice for the sake of being nice won't always turn out well for you. Despite being a boss, Priscilla is not hostile to the player unless attacked. She kindly asks you to leave and you can do so, but I can imagine many players thought it was a trick and attacked her first. Or figured hey, they went through all that trouble going through the Painted World - may as well kill her, right? None of the players are inherently right or wrong, they simply took the decision that made most sense to them. It's always interesting to me to hear how different people's experiences with a game can be and their reasoning behind doing certain things. It's very easy to go "Oh you killed him? What a filthy piece a **** you are. Feel ashamed now" and ignore the fact that the player was really low on health and the town doctor was charging a fortune for healing, so you had no choice but to kill him and take his medical supplies. You're not being clever by making your game like that, you're just making the player feel bad about making a perfectly logical decision. Let them deal with whatever follows.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
@the (video game) morality stuff: Whether one is virtuous/vile enough that it affects things outside of one's mind all comes down to choice, because
, and one is only as good as the standards that they decide to hold themselves to without external prompting. For what it's worth, everyone here has shown time and time again that they wish to do right by others, even when that's the last thing they want to do, and often even when they're at their very worst. ...Seeing as how you lot are capable of that, I'd say you've already got the hardest part of this stuff out of the way, lol.
SunJester SunJester
You already know.

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Never really a fan of morality in games since they're rarely ever executed well. The problem with labeling paths as good or evil is that, from any one individual's perspective, he himself is never evil. Everyone thinks they're at least decent people at heart, no matter what they do, and have explanations for his actions, no matter what they are. They are very, very few people in the world that would outright consider themselves to be terrible human beings, yet almost everyone out there is convinced bad people exist. Actor-observer bias.

I'll agree that the Souls games have a pretty nice way of going about it. You feel like an insignificant little fly thrown into a hostile and engrossing world where you had to do what you had to do to survive. Most NPCs are pretty indifferent to your presence and have their own agendas, and there's no police or anything, so the player is free to set their own morals on what they consider right and wrong, and deal with whatever consequences that may come with that. Characters like Lautrec, Yurt, and Patches toy with player expectations, and shows you that being nice for the sake of being nice won't always turn out well for you. Despite being a boss, Priscilla is not hostile to the player unless attacked. She kindly asks you to leave and you can do so, but I can imagine many players thought it was a trick and attacked her first. Or figured hey, they went through all that trouble going through the Painted World - may as well kill her, right? None of the players are inherently right or wrong, they simply took the decision that made most sense to them. It's always interesting to me to hear how different people's experiences with a game can be and their reasoning behind doing certain things. It's very easy to go "Oh you killed him? What a filthy piece a **** you are. Feel ashamed now" and ignore the fact that the player was really low on health and the town doctor was charging a fortune for healing, so you had no choice but to kill him and take his medical supplies. You're not being clever by making your game like that, you're just making the player feel bad about making a perfectly logical decision. Let them deal with whatever follows.
what a well thought out opinion. if only you had given TEM the money for coleg so he could understand what you said.

tumblr_nw89r8d5jb1ry9yr0o1_500.gif

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Whether it be in their mecha, medieval, or other games, From Software treats ethics with the seriousness it deserves as a general rule.

Helsong

Smash Ace
I went ahead and looked up how to activate the Genocide Run in Undertale out of curiosity. Like many others, I had assumed it was just "show no mercy to enemies, kill all bosses". Semi-spoilers ahead if you haven't played, but not so bad that it'll spoil endings for you.

It's worse.
You need to fight and kill until you have exhausted all encounters in an area, repeat for all areas, never show mercy to anything, kill all bosses. What struck me about this is...well, you're likely to not encounter this in normal play. Even if you just kill every encounter you come across in the course of your journey, it's not likely to be exhaustive, and the game will treat you as neutral. ie, it's still plausible that you're not a genocidal maniac.

So what if you do activate mass massacre mode? There's two general reasons I can think that a regular player might do this.
First, that they, for whatever, reason like the combat a whole lot or are simply level grinding early on when they find out about the loss of encounters. So, out of some weird desire to keep going with this, they keep repeating the process, simply because they can, finding themselves on some new story path within the game.
Second(which seems more plausible), that they're motivated by curiosity to see what the game has to offer, even if it's really bad stuff, so they look it up and go into it with the express purpose of sating their curiosity. So you're not doing it because you love seeing the characters suffer, but because you can and you want to see what happens if you do.
So I'm probably going to go genocide to see what happens, and see if Undertale had provisions for that kind of mentality.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Neutral ending is kinda boring if you kill all the important characters anyway.
I feel like you can justify killing a lot of the characters though.
For example, I ate the butterscotch pie.
Actually I dropped it coldly.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I went ahead and looked up how to activate the Genocide Run in Undertale out of curiosity. Like many others, I had assumed it was just "show no mercy to enemies, kill all bosses". Semi-spoilers ahead if you haven't played, but not so bad that it'll spoil endings for you.

It's worse.
You need to fight and kill until you have exhausted all encounters in an area, repeat for all areas, never show mercy to anything, kill all bosses. What struck me about this is...well, you're likely to not encounter this in normal play. Even if you just kill every encounter you come across in the course of your journey, it's not likely to be exhaustive, and the game will treat you as neutral. ie, it's still plausible that you're not a genocidal maniac.

So what if you do activate mass massacre mode? There's two general reasons I can think that a regular player might do this.
First, that they, for whatever, reason like the combat a whole lot or are simply level grinding early on when they find out about the loss of encounters. So, out of some weird desire to keep going with this, they keep repeating the process, simply because they can, finding themselves on some new story path within the game.
Second(which seems more plausible), that they're motivated by curiosity to see what the game has to offer, even if it's really bad stuff, so they look it up and go into it with the express purpose of sating their curiosity. So you're not doing it because you love seeing the characters suffer, but because you can and you want to see what happens if you do.
So I'm probably going to go genocide to see what happens, and see if Undertale had provisions for that kind of mentality.
I'm not gonna spoil anything, but trust me when I say this: you're going to fight the hardest bosses in the game, bar none, and also, you're gonna have a really bad time

Helsong

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna spoil anything, but trust me when I say this: you're going to fight the hardest bosses in the game, bar none, and also, you're gonna have a really bad time
Hard bosses? Sounds great! Looking forward to it.
I'm already getting the feeling it's going to be a bad time. Almost done with pacifist, and befriending the characters is probably going to make it tough to cut them down mercilessly later. Not looking forward to that part.
A friend of mine recommended I just watch it instead, but I feel like that's not really...enough? I should experience it for myself, and I respect the game a bit too much to just wuss out.

Bleck

Smash Master
after two months of other games I picked up Bloodborne again, and

nope, this game is still bad

Bleck

Smash Master
But the thing is, I love Dark Souls. It's tied with Majora's Mask for my favorite game.

SunJester

Smash Ace
All I want for my birthday is a Stephen Harper-less Canada please.

Go vote if you haven't.

Also top five Zelda tier list:
1. Majoras Mask
2. Seasons/Ages
3 - 5 : Link To the Past, Ocarina of Time, Link Between Worlds (depends on my mood/too close to call)

Top Bottom