• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
you already goofed when you didn't insist on melee and chill
I rather goof for the rest of my life than to do.

I rather live out my life as a Buddhist Monk than to do that.

I rather work in the fields than to do that.

I rather spend a whole 24 period with a nerd than to do that.

this is awesome

WHO CREATES THIS ****?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I typed this summing up why I prefer PM over Melee somewhere else. I thought it beared repeating:

I's be willing to learn the mechanics in Melee if I had incentive to. I don't, because the lack of audio/visual variety between matches simply does not hold my attention long enough.

For contrast, PM has a healthy enough character balance and stage variety so that I'm not too annoyed to pay attention and actually manage to pick up on what's going on.

Watching a Fox ditto on PM: "Huh, interesting choice. You don't see that too often here, so I can actually see what's going on without everything blurring together in my memory."

Watching a Fox ditto on Melee: "...I've seen this before. There's been so many of this particular match that I'm pretty sure there's no strategy left that I haven't seen a million times already."

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
I typed this summing up why I prefer PM over Melee somewhere else. I thought it beared repeating:

I's be willing to learn the mechanics in Melee if I had incentive to. I don't, because the lack of audio/visual variety between matches simply does not hold my attention long enough.

For contrast, PM has a healthy enough character balance and stage variety so that I'm not too annoyed to pay attention and actually manage to pick up on what's going on.

Watching a Fox ditto on PM: "Huh, interesting choice. You don't see that too often here, so I can actually see what's going on without everything blurring together in my memory."

Watching a Fox ditto on Melee: "...I've seen this before. There's been so many of this particular match that I'm pretty sure there's no strategy left that I haven't seen a million times already."
After largely playing Melee this summer, I've come to realize more and more why I prefer PM.

Of course there are matters of balance and character variety, alongside a superior stagelist and fewer characters with as intensely centralizing or overpowered characteristics.

More than anything, Melee is easy.

"But wait," you say, "Melee is more demanding! The tech has tighter timings, and you get punished harder for those mistakes!"

Well, sure. But tech is easy. It's just tech. It's just practice. It is sitting down for a few minutes a day and grinding something out. Top players aren't top players because they're technical. They're top players because they have the capacity for technical skill and they make better decisions than everyone else.

And that's why Melee is easy. I can autopilot and still win. I just play Fox. I know the 6 or so matchups that are relevant to the game. I have like 3 different gameplans depending on the matchup. I have no unfavorable matchups, so I don't worry about character CPs. I'm a bad Fox and I still win, on autopilot.

Melee is easy because there is less choice. There are fewer unknowns. I don't have to think on my feet beyond getting a sense of the player and their habits. In PM, everyone has negative matchups. Maybe I should change characters. What stages do I ban or go to? The answer is always less obvious. I don't know all the relevant matchups, because there are dozens. I have to think on my feet, not just about the player and their habits, but about the matchup, about their character and their tools. It's a much better challenge that doesn't just come down to how fast I can press buttons. I can press buttons fine. I'd prefer to have the challenge of what buttons to press.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
After largely playing Melee this summer, I've come to realize more and more why I prefer PM.

Of course there are matters of balance and character variety, alongside a superior stagelist and fewer characters with as intensely centralizing or overpowered characteristics.

"But wait," you say, "Melee is more demanding! The tech has tighter timings, and you get punished harder for those mistakes!"

Well, sure. But tech is easy. It's just tech. It's just practice. It is sitting down for a few minutes a day and grinding something out. Top players aren't top players because they're technical. They're top players because they have the capacity for technical skill and they make better decisions than everyone else.

And that's why Melee is easy. I can autopilot and still win. I just play Fox. I know the 6 or so matchups that are relevant to the game. I have like 3 different gameplans depending on the matchup. I have no unfavorable matchups, so I don't worry about character CPs. I'm a bad Fox and I still win, on autopilot.

Melee is easy because there is less choice. There are fewer unknowns. I don't have to think on my feet beyond getting a sense of the player and their habits. In PM, everyone has negative matchups. Maybe I should change characters. What stages do I ban or go to? The answer is always less obvious. I don't know all the relevant matchups, because there are dozens. I have to think on my feet, not just about the player and their habits, but about the matchup, about their character and their tools. It's a much better challenge that doesn't just come down to how fast I can press buttons. I can press buttons fine. I'd prefer to have the challenge of what buttons to press.
And of course, that's exactly the reason why the elites promote it so strongly over PM. Easier studies mean there's less chance of someone catching them off guard, meaning they can keep their positions forever. And people just accept that.

Seriously, if M2K said "Battlefield needs to be banned" for some reason one day, people would start coming up with all sorts of complex arguments to ban Battlefield. Because nobody dare question the King.

SpiderMad

Smash Master

Oh my goodness, this is what happens when your community's skill level is trash: you get delusional

Last edited:

PhantasyStar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyebre
3DS FC
1521-4107-6959
And of course, that's exactly the reason why the elites promote it so strongly over PM. Easier studies mean there's less chance of someone catching them off guard, meaning they can keep their positions forever. And people just accept that.

Seriously, if M2K said "Battlefield needs to be banned" for some reason one day, people would start coming up with all sorts of complex arguments to ban Battlefield. Because nobody dare question the King.

No.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
This is going to sound weird, but where do I download vBrawl stages?

I want to have vFD as an FD alt in the ASL, among other things.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
This is going to sound weird, but where do I download vBrawl stages?

I want to have vFD as an FD alt in the ASL, among other things.
You can extract them from the iso with Dolphin along with the module files or get them from Brawl Vault's resources page.

MLGF

Smash Lord
:/

OK, so I get some ****.
Melee in some ways is much less interesting, the stage/character choice is far more important in PM and considering that there's a far larger and more interesting character/stage roster it's hard to deny that there's a lot of depth there.

And yeah, I think Melee is kinda boring because instead of doing your own thing, it's more follow the leader.

But those conspiracy theories hurt my brain.

And, if anyone cares where I was, I tried taking a "hiatus" from Smash.
Didn't work out too well.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Oh my goodness, this is what happens when your community's skill level is trash: you get delusional
Really, Mad, you gotta stop talking all the time about how everyone else is trash at this game.

I remember one time I posted a combo gfy I did, you said something like you wished that you lived in an area that was that scrubby so you could be a god to all the noobs, if I recall correctly.

Like, seriously, dude? You dropped a game against my 2-month-old Melee Fox at Smash n Splash. I'm not even ranked top 20 at my uni in Melee. I wouldn't need to walk 5 blocks from my apartment to find a player better than you.

What results do you have that justify you talking **** about entire communities? I'm ranked 2,000 slots higher than you in Smashboards PM rankings and I suck at this game.

If you want to talk ****, show results or shut up.

Or, even better, actually present counterpoints and not just say "you're trash and delusional" instead of actually bringing anything intelligent to the table.

C'mon, dude. You're already the weird foreskin guy. You don't need to be an ass on top of it.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
#BringBackTheFu

If you want to talk ****, show results or shut up.
Yeah. I said one thing about beating your Chun and you took it as if I insulted your honor and wanted to do a Best of 3. If I remember right, you said I wouldn't even take a game.

where should i take hotel bae to eat yo

i was feelin' pho tbh
Subway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom