• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Is your controller fixed? :T
I think I read once of some guy fixing a Pdp versus on a review or something, but I'm not sure and what he fixed that was wrong. I'll just buy another or two.

Both my GCC extension cables stopped working randomly at the same time, so I'm gonna order a 4 pack (for $7); then a Pdp versus controller and this time I'ma get the Ps2 kind I've never tried yet (for $9) and then I got like $20 bucks or so more to get the $35 free shipping

so I could get like another of the Pdp xbox versus ($13) as well, then I'd just need to find a cheap item to add for $6 or something. I've forgot of any stuff I've needed from Amazon

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
basically since dakpo's been talking about controller customizations on twitter, I want to pop back into this thread to make a general PSA, since it's kinda long:

I can't actually play melee. that's not a decision that's made out of bitterness or whatever, it's because I have severe issues with my wrists and my fingers, and they seize up over very little things (I will carry some milk home and my wrists will often be unusable for the rest of the day, and recently I've had to bandage up my left wrist tight enough so it doesn't move around much, as told by my doc). more than likely, this happened because I'm a twit that's been using a computer for several hours every day since I was about 6 years old, without actually doing any hand exercises, which doesn't tend to end well. my control scheme in project m is goofy (A = jump, B = grab, X = special, Y = footstool, Z = attack), but that's because it's a control scheme that lets me move my fingers around as little as possible while still being able to do most forms of techskill.

I am saying all of that because dakpo did a thing that I was actually thinking about doing, which is re-wiring gamecube inputs. this would mean that I could play melee at the level I'd want without killing my hands even harder. this was almost immediately banned by the TO, infinity, because controller mods in TX are, historically, considered not allowed.

I slightly understand it. slightly, mind, but it's still absolutely, positively not justifiable if you intend for your game to be played by as many people as possible. the fact of the matter is, melee is infamously terrible on your hands, and it's very likely not just me that cannot play melee, even if they want to. the idea that we should still be permanently limited out of "fairness" is utterly absurd; would you say the same to full schedule, a mvc3 tech demon that has buttons set to up-left and up-right? if then, what about the hitbox controller line? after all, that controller has the same advantages, and it's one of the reasons traditional FGs seem appealing to me, as it allows for great execution with little movement of your fingers. what about the fact that select-plinking in SF4 can only be done by players who have select right next to their other standard buttons... a mechanic so standard, nearly every top player in japan has it in some shape or form? do we ban what makes people feel more comfortable in playing a game, because it has pros and cons compared to what everyone else uses, especially when you only need to look at top level fighting games to know that it's not actually all that better than a standard pad or arcade stick?

fact of the matter is, I don't see a way to enforce trying to ban 99% of "grey area" controller mods without inevitably screwing over a lot of other people that need it at all in order to play healthily. it's a meaningless notion that's an old guard from TOs in 2006 that didn't realize how high the skill ceiling of APM can truly go for a human being, and it should be treated as such when the alternate option involved alienating others.

TL;DR allow controller mods, you pricks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

http://t.co/QdzR9YkqNM

^My stance on the whole issue

I think if you're going to disallow dakpos controller mod, you'd also have to disallow taking the springs out of your L/R buttons and replacing the analog sticks on your controller with something like a nunchuck analog stick since its more advantageous based on your comfort.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
(thanks for eating up my post, smashboards)

one thing I'd like to add onto my last post, btw: it might be interpreted as "I want macros", and I just want to say that's not even remotely my point. my point is that different people have difference comforts they need fulfilled to be fully in the game mentally; perhaps for some it's an ipod and some headphones they start up before every match, for others it's putting grip tape onto their handles so they can hold it more loosely. for me, and ppl like me, my comfort requires me to ensure my hands remain functional, and re-wiring inputs can help towards that. the output still remains the same as the person beside me, as I still have to press the same amount of buttons to do the same amount of things... but I can do so in a way I mentally and physically prefer, meaning I can feel more comfortable playing the game.

in layman's terms: if something is done to solely provide comfort, with little to no consequences beyond this (so no, recreational adderall does not count, because long-term that will harm your body and anyone that tries to match you with it), it should be allowed across the board, full-stop.

D

Deleted member

http://t.co/QdzR9YkqNM

^My stance on the whole issue

I think if you're going to disallow dakpos controller mod, you'd also have to disallow taking the springs out of your L/R buttons and replacing the analog sticks on your controller with something like a nunchuck analog stick since its more advantageous based on your comfort.
Reminds me of the time where I beat Dakpo once in Melee and he explained to me and walked around the venue for hours saying how the lack of his custom controls made him lose, and other things like that

Quite honestly I felt really bad the entire night lmao, but they definitely should allow his controller mod because it's hardly giving him an illegal competitive edge, more or less giving him a more comfortable competitive experience.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
No meteor showers that we could see, but the moonless night that dark sure is pretty when your eyes adjust.
Too bad for the eternal dawn of Chicago far to the east, and DeKalb to the north.

Some day, I want to go to one of those sleepy towns deep in continental America without light pollution and just... fall asleep watching the stars.
Go to a dark sky park

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
i like to put milk and sugar in my coffee but i don't have to have it

some coffee sounds good right about now

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
tea tastes like if someone drowned urine in some milk, the worst thing
You're not drinkin the right tea then

Went to this place called Teavana on Monday; they had all these different tea flavors out on display and they were all good. There was this one flavored mango black lime tea, and it rocked socks.

Go to Teavana

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
oh no, I've tried multiple kinds

and they all taste like mildly flavored urine drowned in some milk

I'll stick to my black coffee and/or cold brew coffee, thanks

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Maybe it's because you're drowning it in milk?
I rarely have milk in my tea and I love drinking it.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
you're british though, you're legally obligated to state you like it or else you get sent to jail

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Being British actually makes him an authority on all things tea.

mmm tastes like carbon. I love carbon.
Carbonated beverage without the associated guilt.

A tip for anyone who finds carbonated water to be too fizzy and gets gassy from it: leave the can open for a few hours and then drink it. Still delicious but the fizz is weaker. I drink a lot so it has helped me.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I keep hitting walls with this game making thing. At first I'm like, I'll make a tile based engine, then in the comments on the tutorial there's that one guy who says "thats not the most efficent way." I'm going to drive myself ****ing insane if I don't figure this out.

_gold_

Smash Master
Greetings and salutations, Earthlings :150:
Is this where the serve the finest Mountain Dew (?) here on SBoards?

Last edited:

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I keep hitting walls with this game making thing. At first I'm like, I'll make a tile based engine, then in the comments on the tutorial there's that one guy who says "thats not the most efficent way." I'm going to drive myself ****ing insane if I don't figure this out.
You could follow along and understand what he's doing in the video and why it works. After you understand why it works then you could try and make it more efficient.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Speaking of Tea someone should give recommendations cause I don't drink the stuff enough as i want to and my throat is groggy today.

And DBZ talk this scene always strucked me as WTF but it turned out well in the end regarding the Cell saga.

Top Bottom