• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Helsong

Smash Ace
Smash community criticizes reddit for blowing things up with drama and stuff, and says "they're not the real community".
"Real" Smash community blows things up with drama and stuff anyway.
I don't get it.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Smash community criticizes reddit for blowing things up with drama and stuff, and says "they're not the real community".
I don't get it.
Superiority complex... People like to feel above others.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I don't get it.
everyone likes to think they're smarter than everyone else. that sounds super-like a mechpost, but has the added context of the fact that this includes me, you, and nearly anyone part of a community

it's why there's never such thing as the "real community", because it's a made up concept by people within the smash community who don't want to admit that there's a lot of pricks for every genuine person

relevant xckd, 'natch

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
everyone likes to think they're smarter than everyone else. that sounds super-like a mechpost, but has the added context of the fact that this includes me, you, and nearly anyone part of a community
And you know what? It's perfectly okay. I don't think people who only play PM at tourneys are real PM players. Some people would say I'm dumb for thinking that. Pfft... whatever.

edit: wait, that's how prejudice works... that's no bueno
edit: I'm now realizing I'm a judgmental prick...

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
the point of that tweet wasn't the name, but rather that there's a lot of implications coming out of the name EMP popping up, thanks to an owner that could probably be sued fifty times over by the people he had on contract; implications that, compared to "team YP", are much closer to problematic

Helsong

Smash Ace
Superiority complex... People like to feel above others.
ENTIRE COMMUNITY IS BABBIES

it's why there's never such thing as the "real community", because it's a made up concept by people within the smash community who don't want to admit that there's a lot of pricks for every genuine person

relevant xckd, 'natch
No, no, I get the whole "people want to feel superior" and that the whole "real community" is largely an invented concept.
What I don't get is, why do they instead level their criticisms towards the subreddit when it's really something that the whole community is guilty of? They're just scapegoating and not helping the issue at all. Have any of the soapbox lectures posted on that subreddit actually helped things?

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
one of those condescending lectures to /r/smashbros was made by overswarm, of all ****ing people, the man known for being one of the major dramastorm creators of smashboards, which is still funny to me. like a pot shaming a kettle for being too black

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Is there a problem with wanting to make money?
one of those condescending lectures to /r/smashbros was made by overswarm, of all ****ing people, the man known for being one of the major dramastorm creators of smashboards, which is still funny to me. like a pot shaming a kettle for being too black
I've seen his name, but I don't actually know what he does. Is it possible to get a quick run down, or would googling be better?

Helsong

Smash Ace
I kind of understand what some of the subreddit detractors are trying to say, namely that you shouldn't judge the entire community from whatever drama storm is brewing on the subreddit. I sort of agree, my local scene is far more calm, and overall, it seems like your local community is likely to be not affected at all by whatever's going on. It just seems like a national level community that was often offline is now being forced to acknowledge that yes, the online presence matters.

For example: PM began with a online-focused presence compared to Melee, just due to the time it came out in. I've seen drama here and there, but it's hardly ever been super bad(unless it's friction between the pm community and other communities), and it might be more due to the online and offline communities being more harmonious? I'm mostly just musing, though.

SunJester

Smash Ace
Its almost as if the smash community isn't a singular being, but rather a group of different people with the only constant being admiration of a particular game.

Its almost as if there's going to be differing opinions, and reactions to things.

Then again.

No true scotsman Smash player.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Is there a problem with wanting to make money?
Absolutely, when it involves screwing over people who got you to a position where you are able to make bank.at all.
That's what GiMR did/is doing, and why many of us have little good to say of him.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
No, no, I get the whole "people want to feel superior" and that the whole "real community" is largely an invented concept.
What I don't get is, why do they instead level their criticisms towards the subreddit when it's really something that the whole community is guilty of? They're just scapegoating and not helping the issue at all. Have any of the soapbox lectures posted on that subreddit actually helped things?
What is the problem? That the content and discussions in /r/smashbros often have the likelihood of being unreliable and misinformed due to the nature and accessibility of reddit? Then yes, people have helped debunk it as an official and credible source of information and representation of the Smash community using soap opera criticisms.

Honestly, yes there are people who use the qualification of "going to tournaments" as an ego-booster, but the fact of the matter is that /r/smashbros is filled with people who simply watch the game, not filled with people who are active participants in the community. It's not something you can physically deny, I guarantee that the majority of the people on the subreddit have never met another smasher in their life.

Helsong

Smash Ace
@ KayB KayB I fully understand that, no, the subreddit is not a good resource for knowledge. It's not that aspect of criticism that I take issue with, it's when they use the drama-fueling attitudes to paint it as less of a real community, which is pretty bull****. At the same time, viewers do matter, especially with how big streaming is. Just because they don't actively participate doesn't mean they're somehow excluded from having an effect on the community. If it really doesn't matter, then why do people lecture there instead of outright ignoring it?

I don't think anyone here is going to tell someone "go to /r/smashbros if you want to become a better smash player" and be serious about it.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
At the same time, viewers do matter, especially with how big streaming is. Just because they don't actively participate doesn't mean they're somehow excluded from having an effect on the community. If it really doesn't matter, then why do people lecture there instead of outright ignoring it?
They lecture it because people who don't know better still think it represents the community.

Absolutely, when it involves screwing over people who got you to a position where you are able to make bank.at all.
That's what GiMR did/is doing, and why many of us have little good to say of him.
Are people to still pissy about the PM thing? People use his image of dropping PM as a scapegoat when so many other streamers/tournaments/whatever abandoned ship. The only difference is that "GimR stole people's money" or whatever bull****, but by that logic he essentially streamed project m for several years for free, and technically he is a large part of the reason why PM got as large of a following as it does now. Plus, the reasons for why tournaments and the like are dropping PM is actually pretty reasonable. It sucks and we have to find a way around it, but closing your ears and eyes and pointing to the nearest person and say "he's a scumbag" and ignore everything that happens around it is equally unreasonable.

But whatever the ****, I don't know why I dropped in here to talk about drama. To be honest, I came in here to get away from all the ****ing drama on reddit and twitter, but honestly this thread doesn't seem much better at the moment. All these arguments are constant egos clashing with each other and no one seems to actually listen to each other at all. No problems get solved, it's just constant ******** and whining so much. When I first joined the community, it was nothing as constant and as major as this. All I want is to play the ****ing game but we have to go all political with every bull**** point. I just want to go on here and talk about my day or something because you guys are the ****ing best and I love you guys, that's literally all I want to do.

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
I had a drink that was tequila and a frozen lime drink blended together and oh my christ it was delicious.

It was so sour, but the right kind of sour.

Helsong

Smash Ace
Mangos are the greatest fruit ever, but mango juice has never quite done it for me. Not sure why.

I've got tequila, which I don't really like. Anyone feel like trading me some whiskey for it?

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Mangos are the greatest fruit ever, but mango juice has never quite done it for me. Not sure why.
I don't understand.

Oh yeah, Helsong, since I last talked to you I finished FE6 and FE7 :D I just started FE8, my goal is to finish up until FE11 besides Radiant Dawn before the school year starts again.

Also I liked PoR more than FE7 tbh.

Helsong

Smash Ace
I don't understand.

Oh yeah, Helsong, since I last talked to you I finished FE6 and FE7 :D I just started FE8, my goal is to finish up until FE11 besides Radiant Dawn before the school year starts again.

Also I liked PoR more than FE7 tbh.
I don't get it either. Mangoes are like...the greatest thing(Pomegranates are sweet too) but mango juice? I just can't do it. Help me.

I also enjoyed PoR more than FE7, but I did feel like FE7 did a few things better. But PoR has Ike, and the main plot was very interesting. I was attached to more characters, and this is where I think the character art really got better. I hope you enjoy FE8. It's kinda easy, but I love the slightly darker visual aesthetic in that one, along with the branching promotions. Plus Ephraim is just so cool. I think my favorite lords go Ike>Hector>Ephraim.
I'm not the biggest fan of FE11, they didn't really update the gameplay a whole lot. FE12 is better, imo, but that one was sadly Japan-only. If you emulate it, there's a full translation patch that's very gpod. Characters and plot aren't that great, but the interesting maps make up for it.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Ephraim is my favorite lord, followed by Hector. Never really got into ike tbh. Ephraim and Hector are probably the only two characters I feel I would just have to play in smash due to love for the characters. I have like, no character loyalty otherwise.

Michaja or whatever the mage lord kinda girl was in dawn was cool, was happy to have a mage mc, but her character never stuck to me at all.

Helsong

Smash Ace
Michaiah was...ok, I guess. It's just that Ike and the Greil Mercs overshadowed the Dawn Brigade so much that it was hard for me to keep caring about them. Also, I found it hilarious that the game viewed Sothe as being "important" and gave him a plot promotion. I really never used him.

Ephraim or Hector in smash would be so amazing. It's highly unlikely though, which is a shame. I was happy Ike came back in Smash4, I was super worried that he'd get edged out in favor of the Awakening characters. Shame he's not nearly as fun as he is in PM.

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I don't get it either. Mangoes are like...the greatest thing(Pomegranates are sweet too) but mango juice? I just can't do it. Help me.
In Korea we have Mango juice everywhere. Everywhere!

I also enjoyed PoR more than FE7, but I did feel like FE7 did a few things better.
Eh, idk. I think PoR did everything FE7 did except added little things that made the game less obnoxious. Ex. having a shop at the convoy screen, being able to unequip weapons without having to trade/discard, support conversations outside of the game, more convoy space, not having to use upgrade items to promote units, so on and so forth. Plus I was a huge fan of the bonus exp system, just a bit miffed that getting the bonus exp wasn't always really clear. I also hate Sothe, because they don't tell you that he can't promote in that game and that's some bull****, especially when you learn that too late.

But PoR has Ike, and the main plot was very interesting. I was attached to more characters, and this is where I think the character art really got better.
Yeah, I never got into the plot of the FE games too much. FE7 had a decent plot going for it, but FE6's plot was yawn.

I hope you enjoy FE8. It's kinda easy, but I love the slightly darker aesthetic in that one. Plus Ephraim is just so cool. I think my favorite lords go Ike>Hector>Ephraim.
Eriika or Ephraim's route bias aside? I heard that Eriika's route makes more sense plot wise, but Ephraim's route is more challenging (w/ the exception of the ghost ship level, which I heard was hell). Keep in mind that I'm playing in normal lol.

I'm not the biggest fan of FE11, they didn't really update the gameplay a whole lot. FE12 is better, imo, but that one was sadly Japan-only. If you emulate it, there's a full translation patch that's very gpod. Characters and plot aren't that great, but the interesting maps make up for it.
Oh oops, I meant until FE12, not FE11. I already got the full translated patch and everything ready.

Helsong

Smash Ace
In Korea we have Mango juice everywhere. Everywhere!

Eh, idk. I think PoR did everything FE7 did except added little things that made the game less obnoxious. Ex. having a shop at the convoy screen, being able to unequip weapons without having to trade/discard, support conversations outside of the game, more convoy space, not having to use upgrade items to promote units, so on and so forth. Plus I was a huge fan of the bonus exp system, just a bit miffed that getting the bonus exp wasn't always really clear. I also hate Sothe, because they don't tell you that he can't promote in that game and that's some bull****, especially when you learn that too late.

Yeah, I never got into the plot of the FE games too much. FE7 had a decent plot going for it, but FE6's plot was yawn.

Eriika or Ephraim's route bias aside? I heard that Eriika's route makes more sense plot wise, but Ephraim's route is more challenging (w/ the exception of the ghost ship level, which I heard was hell). Keep in mind that I'm playing in normal lol.

Oh oops, I meant until FE12, not FE11. I already got the full translated patch and everything ready.
Yeah, Mango juice is a big thing in India as well, but it just...never stuck to me on any of my visits. And any mango juice you get in America is worse anyway, so...

For Sacred Stones...hmm, well, both routes have differing motivations/aspects to the antagonist. Erika's is played straighter(which I guess is where it could make more sense) and Ephraim's tries to go for a more complex motivation(but doesn't quite explain it well enough, I felt-it's been a while, though). I still liked Ephraim's route more because of the more interesting maps. But they're both worth playing. There's a point where the game splits, and it tells you. I made two seperate save slots the first time and went through both concurrently. I highly recommend it. The two paths converge after a few chapters, so you don't need to do it for to long. But while they're split, you're seeing two sides of the same story, so it's worth going through both, since it does clear up and explain a few things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom